Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to try this

pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

Does this game deserve it's high rating?

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
-Yes.

Comments

• trojan99trojan99 Member UncommonPosts: 51

it has a fairly unique fighting mechanic that sets it apart. just bcz each battle is a mini instance like ff7, dont forget that we all loved ff7. well i did anyway.......

high rating....meh, its playable and nothing directly compares to it. more playable when u spend money but not a requirement if u can deal with running instead of being mounted. mounts provide extra stats so oh yeah ull be gimped too cz those stats count in pvp .... o yeah item shop provides things u can exchange in game for more stuff that you can sell and ..and ...and u get my point.

its an item mall grind plain and simple with plenty to do to keep the most a.d.d.  amung us occupied for seconds at a time. i no longer use item mall bcz it is a lottery system where u are not simply buyig an item, u are buying a chance at an item, a low chance, at premium pricing. i suffer in game bcz of my silent boycott, no longer having items that sell for hundreds of millions cramps ur style when new euipment is a cpl hundred mill per piece at my level.....and u are equipping not only yourself but the 8 mercenaries that fight with you, plus a cpl extra mercs u have in storage for special situations, and each merc and yourself has 13-15 slots to fill. so figure u need about a billion for each merc at level 105 plus a cpl hundred million for skill books. that increeases exponentially with the better mercs. still about a bill to outfit, but cost a bill to join u and skill books run about 500 mill and up. it takes time to make 1 billion gold in this game without item mall.

the first 20 levels go quick, for that matter the first 95 go by pretty fast. but 20 should b all it takes to find out if u like it, and that can be done in a cpl hours tops.

a cpl of things to point out. there is not a whole lot of handholding in this game so if u are a chat spammer begging for gold and help and crap, look elsewhere. that is one of the things i like about this game is little tolerance for ppl who cant read the help section which is convientantly located in game and has multiple quests to show u how to use it. its one of the better help docs in any recent game ive played. i play thebes server, maybe more tolerance on other servers but i should hope not.

find a good active guild in an active high level nation. this will allow you guild and nation dungeons which will give u a chance at loot that does sell well. ther are other benefits but they wont make sense to u until you play. still, guilds and nations are not handholding carebears. i need help" ör come help me gets u ignored quicker than suggesting a second term for obama. the game is basically a single player with the exception of high level dungeons. we all solo'd so can u.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

What's wrong with Obama?

Anyway, i've tried it a little. I'm not quite getting into the asian setting and the game seems largely easy. So far i had to train for 1 boss fight or 2 that's it.

I haven't tried the item mall so i can't really compare with anything. I've checked the items a little. 1 out of 21 chance for the actual item?

I really don't want to be playing wow again but the only other option is lotro and that game, while it has better graphic quality, is just ugly.

-Yes.

• booskAbooskA Member UncommonPosts: 79

Originally posted by pussaykat

Does this game deserve it's high rating?

Simply put, no. I don't even consider it an MMO. It is a single player game (mostly) with a chatroom and auction house added on. Your party is full of NPCs, not real players.

That being said, the single player game is pretty average. I sorta had fun the couple weeks I played. I can see how people could easily get into the game, become big fans. But there is no way it is near on the level with the other games it is listed with. It has the clunky controls and animations of an average F2P.

In the F2P arena, though, I feel several other games like Allods and Runes of Magic are superior. I'm not sure either of them deserve to be as highly rated as Atlantica, either...

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

I did think my character ran like an elyos...

-Yes.

• MizakoMizako Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by pussaykatI'm not quite getting into the asian setting

I lol. Have you ever opened the world map? Ever noticed that AO world is not an imaginary one but a real one? They can't get rid of Asia because its part or the real world no? If you have any semblance of logic you can presume there will be areas of other settings, Asia is a noob zone, 80-90 zone, 108-115, and 120 zone. If you start there that does not mean the whole game has the Asian setting.
  • misterpetemisterpete Member Posts: 6

I have also been looking to try this game, but have a few questions:

1) How fundamental is the cash shop to success in the game?

2) Is there any cooperative pve?

3) Is the pvp actually fun?

If anyone could help me out with any answers, it'd be much appreciated.

• MizakoMizako Member Posts: 31

Cash shop depends on you, if you want to have all new mounts/decorations immedeately you can't play without spending money. Otherwise if you have patience and reason you can buy all shop stuff for in-game money. It is absolutely possible to get to 120+ without spending a coin, it will be even more easy if you get friends to party with, so you can complete hard areas with mediocre gear.

Most content in this game is soloable (if you are not extremely cheap), but some areas require party. Partying is very rewarding though, because you can get extra exp (on the contrary to other games where partying make you to SHARE your exp with other party members).

Pvp is fun, most people say it is the best part in this game, I'm not a pvp fan but I definitely like pvp in this game. It is well-made and even people who are not interested in pvp usually, will find some fun.

• aekeemaekeem Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by misterpete

I have also been looking to try this game, but have a few questions:

If anyone could help me out with any answers, it'd be much appreciated.

depending on what level you want to pvp at it may or may not be important.  at low levels it doesn't matter, you can beat most people by simply understanding game mechanics and outplaying them.  at higher levels the players who have spent tons at item mall(cash shop) are (for the most part) going to be too strong for you to do much of anything to them.  don't get me wrong you could still win every once in a while but those rare cases are heavily dependant on how bad the person with the fat wallet is or they may just be afk.

• XH4ID3NXH4ID3N Member Posts: 14

====================

1) Beyond lvl 90 could make the experience more enjoiable...

2) Yes, same as with any other MMO - some quests for "special heroes" are almost impossible whithout support unles you use some items from shop...

3) Yes, some could say - it's among best parts of this game, yet you need skill a good build and some extra mounts could also help yet not that much as with NPC's, their effect being lowered for PvP but you could still feel it on a even match...