Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New kind of fishing attempt at least for me

Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Anyone else got this kind of phishing attempt ?  I gotta give them credit they are really trying hard.   All i got are suspicious activities on your account, first time i get this, they are faking chacter transfer emails now.

Hello,

A Character Faction Change is now pending for the World of Warcraft account [email protected]. Please allow several days for the faction change process to complete. An email will be sent to you when it is done. You can also track the status of your request by signing into the Transaction page here: fakeadress.com.

Below is a summary of the transaction, which you may want to keep for your records.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World of Warcraft Account Name: [email protected]

TRANSACTION ID: 01234442

Comments

• mschi772mschi772 Member Posts: 20

I've gotten a couple attempts to steal my info via email including this one which came today.  They're not too smart though.  I haven't played WoW since sometime shortly after BC came out, so my WoW acct never got changed to the email address I'm currently using.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

There is lots of that about at the moment and it seems to be getting worse.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by Aguitha

Anyone else got this kind of phishing attempt ?  I gotta give them credit they are really trying hard.   All i got are suspicious activities on your account, first time i get this, they are faking chacter transfer emails now.

Hello,

A Character Faction Change is now pending for the World of Warcraft account [email protected]. Please allow several days for the faction change process to complete. An email will be sent to you when it is done. You can also track the status of your request by signing into the Transaction page here: fakeadress.com.

Below is a summary of the transaction, which you may want to keep for your records.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup got a very similar one with right looking address to click to . Course i didnt. my acoutns not been changed over to batlenet so i couldnt check its status. So i passed the email on to blizzard will see if i even get a response.Came in today on that email as well wonder if the contact email links are same to.

if you highlight the email to copy an past it youll see a mail key id as well thats hidden unless its highlighted.Botem left corner.Some of the links in the email were .eu some were .us .

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

Update to my post same email. i contacted blizzard . they replyed that it looks like my acoutns now on a euro server....That i needed to log in a contact a gm to complete the faction transfer... even tho in my email i told them my acount was closed ..

So all this keylager bs i read by the fan boys .Keep thinking that.An that your acount is safe.

unbeliveable.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

Originally posted by Axeion

Update to my post same email. i contacted blizzard . they replyed that it looks like my acoutns now on a euro server....That i needed to log in a contact a gm to complete the faction transfer... even tho in my email i told them my acount was closed ..

So all this keylager bs i read by the fan boys .Keep thinking that.An that your acount is safe.

unbeliveable.

its safe aslong as you have some common sense:P its not blizzards fault in anyway if people decide to fall for them since blizzard has put up way more then enough warnings to never give your password to anyone signs to people and these scammers get emails off sites like these since they have my trash email and not my real email so they arent getting them from blizzard so this could happen to any mmo out there but the haters are still saying they are quiting wow cause of the bad security is completely bullshit since if they get there account keylogged or phished its there fault and 99% of the people who say they quit because of it never played it in the first place and just want to people to know they are quiting the game so that people will think the game is dieing but its wow so it never works

• sobbssobbs Member Posts: 7

I got that today. The funny thing is, I don't have an account with blizzard :3 

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by sobbs

I got that today. The funny thing is, I don't have an account with blizzard :3 

Just wait long enough, and I'm sure you'll get a 'Blizzard' e-mail telling you how they are giving you a fully loaded account!

I've had three different 'Blizzard' e-mails in as many days, including the one in the OP. If you are using yahoo, click the option in the bottom right of the email that says show full headers (other e-mail services have this option as well, though located in different places). That way you can see what hotmail account the e-mail actually originated from.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I think I just got the most hilarious phishing email I have had yet.  This one literally made me laugh out loud.  For as good as some of the scammers are getting at their craft.....there are others that definitely shouldn't quit their day job.  Here's an example.  I changed nothing but my email address. LOL 

Shouldn't have to say this, but....DO NOT click on the link for any reason. As if that isn't kind of a no brainer, but still....

Check out who it's supposedly FROM......

from

image[email protected]

reply-to

image[email protected]

to

[email protected]

date

imageSun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

subject

imageWOW Account Identification

mailed-by

imagehotmail.com

hide details 7:14 PM (4 hours ago)

Get those opt-ins ready for the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm closed beta! The sundering of Azeroth is nigh, and you don’t want to be left out in  the cold of Northrend when you could be enjoying the sun-drenched beaches on the goblin isle of Kezan. To ensure you’re opted-in and eligible as a  potential candidate, you’ll need a World of Warcraft license attached to your Battle.net account, have your current system specifications uploaded  to the Battle.net Beta Profile Settings page, and have expressed interest through the franchise-specific check boxes.

Get the Installer - Log in to your Battle.net account:

http://battle-bl1zzard.com/login/en/?ref=https//us.battle.net/acc ount2Fmanagement/2Fwow/2Fdashboard.htmlappp=bamlocale=enx_UScr=true

** IMPORTANT ** To avoid graphical bugs and other technical issues, please ensure your video card drivers are up-to-date!

The Battle.net Support Team

Blizzard Entertainment

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by Raizeen

unbeliveable.

its safe aslong as you have some common sense:P its not blizzards fault in anyway if people decide to fall for them since blizzard has put up way more then enough warnings to never give your password to anyone signs to people and these scammers get emails off sites like these since they have my trash email and not my real email so they arent getting them from blizzard so this could happen to any mmo out there but the haters are still saying they are quiting wow cause of the bad security is completely bullshit since if they get there account keylogged or phished its there fault and 99% of the people who say they quit because of it never played it in the first place and just want to people to know they are quiting the game so that people will think the game is dieing but its wow so it never works

Friends investigated looks like one of my toons is now on a euro server 80 with purpal gear.No one has my pass.I dont hand them out been playing mmorpgs longer than wows been around .

No keylogers on my comp. An i never converted over to battlenet since i quit before then.Never bought gold an i did not reply to the email i got .Contacted bilzzard an explained to them my acount should be closed.Their the ones saying my acounts open an i should log into a euro server an contact a gm about a faction transfer .. on a acoutn that should be closed...an since their us customer service they cant help me..

An then wanted me to take a customer qustioniar on how well their customer service is...

• Denar51Denar51 Member Posts: 5

I've been received this and a number of other ones as well. The problem is that I don't play WoW, and never have played WoW. So it has to be phising.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

unbeliveable.

Was your account on a US server originally?

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Raizeen

unbeliveable.

Friends investigated looks like one of my toons is now on a euro server 80 with purpal gear.No one has my pass.I dont hand them out been playing mmorpgs longer than wows been around .

No keylogers on my comp. An i never converted over to battlenet since i quit before then.Never bought gold an i did not reply to the email i got .Contacted bilzzard an explained to them my acount should be closed.Their the ones saying my acounts open an i should log into a euro server an contact a gm about a faction transfer .. on a acoutn that should be closed...an since their us customer service they cant help me..

An then wanted me to take a customer qustioniar on how well their customer service is...

From Blizzard FAQ on character transfers:

"

Can I transfer characters from one region to another (i.e. moving North American characters to European realms or accounts)?

No. Characters can only be transferred between realms and accounts within the same region."

So... how these people transferred a char from US to Euro servers?

mmmmh. something is not right here.

PS: PLEASE stop posting links to the fake web sites these pishing people set up!

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

This is getting stupid.  I have not played WOW in about 3 months.  Yesterday I got five emails telling me that my IP has changed, or I have been selected to try out a new mount, to my account have been hacked.

I may get flamed for this but Blizzard really screwed up making us use our E-Mail address to log on.

Every E-Mail address I have has been plagued by these attempts to hack my account.  Most of them are for E-Mail addresses that are not and never were used for battlenet.

Sad .

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I get hundreds of these a day of all flavors.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Sluagh_LordSluagh_Lord Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by kb4blu

This is getting stupid.  I have not played WOW in about 3 months.  Yesterday I got five emails telling me that my IP has changed, or I have been selected to try out a new mount, to my account have been hacked.

I may get flamed for this but Blizzard really screwed up making us use our E-Mail address to log on.

Every E-Mail address I have has been plagued by these attempts to hack my account.  Most of them are for E-Mail addresses that are not and never were used for battlenet.

Sad .

This is similar to my situation, but they're pretty easy to filter out. A good safeguard is to have a separate email account solely dedicated to Battle.net and, if something seems legit, go directly to Battle.net and login to your account there. Phishers are counting on people not being thorough in their reading and "just clicking a link", which the internet has trained us to do.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Sad .

If your accounts where not used for battle.net then hackers are getting your email addresses from somewhere else.

It was a stupid for blizzard to change logins to email addresses, but it is also equally stupid for players to use an email address for their login that they have registered/posted elsewhere on the internet. 

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131

Is there actually someone who gets those kind a emails and never had an WoW acc ?.

if yes than ok it would mean they sending the emils randomly, but if no .. than i have to  have my concerns about security issues on blizzards servers

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

Originally posted by Daffid011

Sad .

If your accounts where not used for battle.net then hackers are getting your email addresses from somewhere else.

It was a stupid for blizzard to change logins to email addresses, but it is also equally stupid for players to use an email address for their login that they have registered/posted elsewhere on the internet. 

This is true. These emails that have been coming fast and furious the past several months have been coming to addresses that have never been connected with my WoW account, but have been used to register for gaming sites (like this one). I've started using a "Junk" address when I register for forums and the like, but the scammers are using older information.

Still the best safeguard is to never click the link and, when in doubt, check your account status from your personal bookmarks or the link usually provided on most game launchers.

Originally posted by knapu

Is there actually someone who gets those kind a emails and never had an WoW acc ?.

if yes than ok it would mean they sending the emils randomly, but if no .. than i have to  have my concerns about security issues on blizzards servers

They're getting them from gaming sites.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by knapu

I got those emails on several email addresses that have been used on gaming sites, but never for WoW which I only played with an email account years ago that I no longer use.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Most people don't know that sites like curse.com, Allakhazam.com (zam.com), wowhead.com, thottbot.com and mmo-champion.com have all been purchased by gold farming companies. 

wikipedia link to IGE

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Aguitha

Hello,

Got that too...

...a bit too late, my WoW account got hacked years ago...

(...not that i care at all!)