Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Big FFXIV will be?

nordamaxnordamax Member Posts: 92

Folks,

I am not a FF fan. However, the game looks very interesting. I am going to give it a try. Since wow still rule the big pie. What's you guys opinion about how far FFXIV will go?image

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I plan on looking into it.. I have it on my "watch" list..  If the game is somewhat polished, balanced and fun, I'll play it.. If the end game is a repetitive grind, then I'll quit and wait for the next game..  Good Luck to FF14 and SWToR.. and a few others

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

Well if you were a betting man you could probably say that most games will flop and you would make money sooooo....heh. I hope it's big.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

I wouldnt count on it being much bigger than FFXI was at its prime. Its basically XI with a face lift, and XI was, along with L2, the textbook examples of unholy grind.

all this talking about west ofcuz, asians and specially japanese will go batshit insane with it

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

It's hard to give you a proper answer because I have nothing to relate to except XI which you have not played I assume.

Alright, I'll try. This is speculation (informed speculation though) so take it with a grain of salt;

Initially, I assume there will be 5 bigger "regions". These regions are quite large, and it will take a long time to get from one side to another. There will be some dungeons (not instances) and maybe even "secret" areas in each of them.  The regions will be one initial region for the 3 main cities, one region for the 4th city for higher level players, and a region to connect the 4 other regions.

The next update or the update after that, 3 more regions will be introduced.. They will possibly have some beastmen tribe towns and such to explore, so lot of content to do there. Also probably some harder GuildLeves. The storyline will continue there.

In the 2nd, maybe 3rd update depending on how often we get them the last 2 regions will be released, the ones with the ruined cities. There we will see the epic climax of the vanilla storyline and set up for the first expansion, also the level cap should start raising at this point so there'll be some higher level content to do. 

After that the first expansion is probably about to be released and level cap will keep rising during the expansion. We will probably get to go to the Garlean empire at that point.

All this is based on how they handled XI.

Oh, also a wild hater appears!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by arcdevil
    I wouldnt count on it being much bigger than FFXI was at its prime. Its basically XI with a face lift, and XI was, along with L2, the textbook examples of unholy grind.

all this talking about west ofcuz, asians and specially japanese will go batshit insane with it

I think it will be bigger than FFXI. Due to the massive influx of people new to the genre in the last 5 years add to the current FFXI players a small chunk of that and it should do exceptionally well.

I doubt it will hit WoW numbers ever, due to it's niche focus, but it will still be successful due to the pedigree alone. Guess we'll have to revisit this thread in a year or 2 and see what happened.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

I think it will be a solid game with solid numbers. There is a good following for the FF games and Square makes good games. Personally its not something im interested in but I appreciate the quality in the franchise.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• nordamaxnordamax Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by elocke

I think it will be bigger than FFXI. Due to the massive influx of people new to the genre in the last 5 years add to the current FFXI players a small chunk of that and it should do exceptionally well.

I doubt it will hit WoW numbers ever, due to it's niche focus, but it will still be successful due to the pedigree alone. Guess we'll have to revisit this thread in a year or 2 and see what happened.

For me. I was expecting Aion to be big. But, somehow it doesn't went very well. From the official site of FFXIV. At least it looks really b-e-a-utiful. And seem the combat system is interesting as well. I hope it will be good in player interaction and in-game communication. 

And i like your signiture a lot. Classic.

• J0K3R_3DJ0K3R_3D Member Posts: 82

I doubt it. The audience has grown a lot thanks to WoW but its also become much more brutal and unforgiving ... thanks to WoW.

If its true that the game isnt much more than an updated FFXI with prettier graphics, I doubt it'll be a hit here. Japan was never really big on MMO's either.

Who knows though, im hoping its good and all the stuff theyre still keeping quiet about turns out to be great but I get the feeling theyre keeping quiet because they know itll hurt sales.

FFXI numbers would be successful, i think at its prime it had 500k steady subs . If I had to bet I'd say that or maybe a bit more.

in Asian (mainly Japan) it will be bigger than jesuschrist tho...

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

FFXI numbers would be successful, i think at its prime it had 500k steady subs . If I had to bet I'd say that or maybe a bit more.

700k. WoW dropped that number to 500k though.

Simply PS3 users will probably bring it to close to a million already, even if PC users don't care.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

I wouldnt count on it being much bigger than FFXI was at its prime.

Remembering that FFXI in its prime was bigger than anything other than WoW and Lineage.

Originally posted by ChrisMattern

I wouldnt count on it being much bigger than FFXI was at its prime.

Remembering that FFXI in its prime was bigger than anything other than WoW and Lineage.

that goes without saying

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I am really looking forward to Final Fantasy XIV because it looks to be a mmo that was made strictly for the fans of Final Fantasy XI. They dont care about getting record subs or trying to appeal to the mainstream. It looks like they just made a nice solid mmo and thats what I want.

PS:

I dont think Final Fantasy XI was never bigger than Lineage. Lineage had millions of subs and I think today still has 1M or more active and thats not even counting Lineage 2 which also had millions of subs.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

it hit a mill subs at its prime

Originally posted by Hyanmen

700k. WoW dropped that number to 500k though.

Simply PS3 users will probably bring it to close to a million already, even if PC users don't care.

i think a mill subs at least it already has 130k pre orders just for na

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Raxeon

No it did not, Hyan is correct.

I still don't see it hitting a mil, especially with no PS3 for a while, but anything around 500k is perfectly successful.

• hekimohekimo Member Posts: 85

for the very little amount of coverage it gets in NA (compared to other AAA titles),  i would guess 500k subs 3 months after release, which like others have said, is perfectly succesful

Originally posted by hekimo

for the very little amount of coverage it gets in NA (compared to other AAA titles),  i would guess 500k subs 3 months after release, which like others have said, is perfectly succesful

maybe 500k from Na subs

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by Raxeon

No it did not, Hyan is correct.

I still don't see it hitting a mil, especially with no PS3 for a while, but anything around 500k is perfectly successful.

yea it did... square even annunced it unless that was characters made

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

I'm thinking about the size of FFXI. So big enough for me :P

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

500-750k box sales at launch.  Big drop off after the 30 day free period ends as people discover that FFIXV isn't a WOW-esque game and actually requires more than a small measure of thought to become profieicent at the game.  Population will plateau out around the 3 month mark and, if SE have the game's core systems working as intended, population will slowly rise due to a slow influs of gamers looking for something different.

• ZakaneZakane Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by Shoju

500-750k box sales at launch.  Big drop off after the 30 day free period ends as people discover that FFIXV isn't a WOW-esque game and actually requires more than a small measure of thought to become profieicent at the game.  Population will plateau out around the 3 month mark and, if SE have the game's core systems working as intended, population will slowly rise due to a slow influs of gamers looking for something different.

Haha how true...

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

Wait is this a land-mass, box sales or forum ego question? /Icanttellanymore

I am looking forward to a huge world to explore meet strange beings and kill them, a healthy server population and decent community over time and I hit 110 posts so... I'm feeling pretty good today. image

Haven't seen anything to give an estimate of how big the world is. Hopefully it compares to open world type games like EQ2, WoW or FF11. Aion, AoC and WAR felt smallish or at least boxy.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

My estimate would be 1 million in it's prime (first few months) and 500k steady just like FFXI.  There is too much competition coming out soon for it to really break past that barrier.  Most of the subscribers will be from JP.

Note:  These are still fantastic numbers and I'd assume FFXIV will have great player retention like FFXI and maintain those numbers for years to come.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

100k US/North America

150k Europe

750k Asia (bulk of it being Japan)

~1 Million in its prime and will hover in the 800-1 mil range for 3-4 years minimum.

Don't underestimate the rabid and devoted fan base SE/FF has.  I am one of those people.