Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Planes of Telara: Character Creation

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, MMORPG.com Community Manager Michael Bitton had the opportunity to visit Trion Worlds HQ in San Francisco. As part of Gamer's Day, Mike scored a hands on look at Rift: Planes of Telara. The first feature that Mike looked at was character creation and he's got the skinny on what it's like.

Your very first choice when creating a character is that of your faction. Rift uses a two faction system which is comprised of the Guardians and the Defiant. Both factions have opposing views on how to deal with the crisis on Telara and this is reflected at the most basic level during creation by way of race and class choice. The Defiant revived their Ascended souls through the use of forbidden technology and they adopt a proactive stance in dealing with the crisis, using anything and everything at their disposal to deal with the invasion. The Guardians, on the other hand, are basically training armies for their gods, while erecting temples and praying to the gods for a miracle.

Read Mike's Rift Character Creation preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• goblin00goblin00 Member Posts: 14

awesome! sweet new info about the 2 races

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

So I can choose between actually trying to do something about the rift invasions as a Defiant or sit on my hands as a Guardian...such an intense moral dilemma...*yawn*...

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Great information, can not wait ahhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrr.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

I like what i have read so far about how this game is shaping up.  Definately looking foward to more information and the release.

• ParkingtonParkington Member Posts: 1

Great work mate, give us the goods! :D

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by twrule

So I can choose between actually trying to do something about the rift invasions as a Defiant or sit on my hands as a Guardian...such an intense moral dilemma...*yawn*...

eh what?

both sides have reason to shut or use the rifts... what are you yawning about?

maybe if you wasnt trying so hard to be bored you wouldnt be so bored. Just a thought.

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

I want Screens of the 2 races! :(

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

This game is fast becoming the one to watch. But patience is not only a virtue in this hobby its mandatory.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

The Guardians and Defiant live in the world of Telara which is being invaded and both factions are under attack.  How they deal with the interplaner dimensions and other issues such as PvP is a matter of political, religious, and ideological difference.

• charlionfirecharlionfire Member Posts: 166

Wow, so much info given in this article. Nice one.

But hmm I cannot morph or modify the physical attributes of my character... so, this means I can't be fat, short, long, square, straight or twisted? Sounds a bit weird in my opinion.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by charlionfire

But hmm I cannot morph or modify the physical attributes of my character... so, this means I can't be fat, short, long, square, straight or twisted? Sounds a bit weird in my opinion.

Not that I could see, no. But you can morph the face.

• charlionfirecharlionfire Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by charlionfire

Not that I could see, no. But you can morph the face.

Oh okay, thanks. Perhaps ascended beings go through some kind of homogenization process when they are shot out of the soul stream ^^

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Once again Mike you nailed it! Thanks for the first official confirmation of Dwarves and the Kelari. Lots of speculation going around on those and this is the first it has been confirmed.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• DragonSpellDragonSpell Member Posts: 3

ya I have been watching and waiting for rift for a Long time and now that its comeing out im moveing to the philippines :-(  and I don't think i can get it there OMG GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

plz dont let all this talk be hype talk.....if they deliver the content they say they will then this game will be pretty good.

looking forward to it

Originally posted by vesavius

eh what?

maybe if you wasnt trying so hard to be bored you wouldnt be so bored. Just a thought.

I didn't say both factions were boring - I was just pointing out that usually in a 2 faction game like this (besides the ones that are meant to be good versus evil) they try to create some sort of moral ambiguity for the player so that they can make a case for themselves to be on either side equally (for example in WoW, you could sympathize in some ways with either the alliance or the horde - and they both work to address the greater threats in their world).  

I don't really see that in RIFT from how they describe it.  They make it seem like the defiants are doing everything they can to fight the invasion while the guardians sit around and pray all day.  It doesn't really matter how pious you are - refusing to do all you can to save your own world is pretty ridiculous (if anything, you'd think they'd be the more zealous of the two sides, believing their gods supported them in the conflict).  If I ever play this game, I'd play defiant - they seem like the more logical of the two sides...

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

eh what?

I didn't say both factions were boring - I was just pointing out that usually in a 2 faction game like this (besides the ones that are meant to be good versus evil) they try to create some sort of moral ambiguity for the player so that they can make a case for themselves to be on either side equally (for example in WoW, you could sympathize in some ways with either the alliance or the horde - and they both work to address the greater threats in their world).  

I don't really see that in RIFT from how they describe it.  They make it seem like the defiants are doing everything they can to fight the invasion while the guardians sit around and pray all day.  It doesn't really matter how pious you are - refusing to do all you can to save your own world is pretty ridiculous (if anything, you'd think they'd be the more zealous of the two sides, believing their gods supported them in the conflict).  If I ever play this game, I'd play defiant - they seem like the more logical of the two sides...

If you didn't catch what he was saying, both are trying to close the Rifts!!!

Originally posted by WardTheGreat

eh what?

If you didn't catch what he was saying, both are trying to close the Rifts!!!

To quote the article: 

"The Defiant revived their Ascended souls through the use of forbidden technology and they adopt a proactive stance in dealing with the crisis, using anything and everything at their disposal to deal with the invasion. The Guardians, on the other hand, are basically training armies for their gods, while erecting temples and praying to the gods for a miracle."

So they both might be closing RIFTs, but apparently one faction is more directly active in the effort to stop the invasion than the other, implied by this.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

The difference between the factions does seem a bit forced I must say. Do we know who brought the warriors back to ‘life’? The factions seem to have formed on cultural grounds, perhaps this was the stance of their race in life?

I hope the Dwarves remain men only, we get so many races which are women only it helps redress the balance.

• xmojo1xmojo1 Member UncommonPosts: 57

Pity that they choose to restrict certain classes to one faction or the other. This would put the onus on the devs to have well-balanced classes to prevent one faction dominating the other in terms of class strength, especially if the game features a faction vs faction war.

Originally posted by xmojo1

Pity that they choose to restrict certain classes to one faction or the other. 

This hasnt been confirmed yet, ubless you can throw me a link?

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Once again Mike you nailed it! Thanks for the first official confirmation of Dwarves and the Kelari. Lots of speculation going around on those and this is the first it has been confirmed.

Indeed, good new info.

• OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55

erm.....like.... read the WHOLE article.....

Originally posted by Osirrus

erm.....like.... read the WHOLE article.....

I did.

Sarcastic tone of yours aside, are you talking about these statements... "is reflected at the most basic level during creation by way of race and class choice" and "...you’ll generally find around three to four callings per archetype at creation, with several being unique to a particular faction. For example, the Paladin is Guardian only, while the Warlock is only available for the Defiant." ?

Because if so then that may well only apply to initial character creation.

Take the Paladin for instance. This is a soul, according to the class designer himself last week, that will be restricted to Guardian upon character creation as a first soul, but could well be opened up as a soul to be achieved for both sides via play.

This was what I was refering to. The devs themselves arnt actually decided on the issue of opening the souls up universally, so no need to be dissapointed yet.

Here, listen to podcast 6 from 02/ 08 http://www.riftpodcast.com/ ... it goes into it all a little bit more.

• XiaraXiara Member Posts: 21

Dark Elves? I'm sold...

~Xiara D'Aarmon