Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats combat like?

ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

Do you left click to nuke or swing you weapon with optional hotbar moves or is it like tradtional mmorpg combat like lotro?

I will be downloading it when the EU servers go ftp I was just interested how the combat works while I wait.

Comments

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

if i remeber correctly for melee characters is was L click attack, right click was like a shield block/swing.  For casting it is standard hotbar clicks.  The problem i always had this this game is mana management.  i like to be able to cast whatever / whenever, not going into a dungeon knowing i have 200 mana and i better make it last.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

DDO is an action mmorpg you use the left mouse button to swing and unless your wizard or cleric you dont use the hot bar as you would a normal mmo its more for pots and or changing gear alot of people use the hot bars for that except wizards or clerics cause of there spells this is more like pen and paper with spell points then say most other mmo's. Look at you tube videos theres alot that show hot bars and how they get used. I myself have a 20 Barbarian and use 2 hot bars for skills and or buffs as for the other 3 I use them for armor and items. My Wizard has 10 hot bars and she uses all but 4 for spells and the 4 are used for wands scrolls and pots mostly maybe a couple robe sets depending on the dungeon. But thats about it.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Shari

Do you left click to nuke or swing you weapon with optional hotbar moves or is it like tradtional mmorpg combat like lotro?

I will be downloading it when the EU servers go ftp I was just interested how the combat works while I wait.

Left click to swing and hot bar for moves such as trip or stunning blow as well as rage if you are a barbarian or any other clickable skill that DDO has depending on class. But unlike most MMOs DDO does not have things like Guild Wars where you click a hot bar action to attack and then click it again for the combo move that might be attached to it.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

So, the mage has limited mana in dungeons?

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by godzilr1

if i remeber correctly for melee characters is was L click attack, right click was like a shield block/swing.  For casting it is standard hotbar clicks.  The problem i always had this this game is mana management.  i like to be able to cast whatever / whenever, not going into a dungeon knowing i have 200 mana and i better make it last.

Well... if you'd played pen&paper D&D you'd know you have some skills you can only use a limited number of times in a dungeon - once per encounter or once per day. That's because some of them are really powerful and would bring nothing good to the intensity of the game to be able to just spew around high-damage spells whenever you feel like. 

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Beermangler

Originally posted by godzilr1

Well... if you'd played pen&paper D&D you'd know you have some skills you can only use a limited number of times in a dungeon - once per encounter or once per day. That's because some of them are really powerful and would bring nothing good to the intensity of the game to be able to just spew around high-damage spells whenever you feel like. 

Yes but DDO does not follow most of those P&P rules. As a matter of fact DDO allows you to get more spell points ina  few ways making spell points a nearly unlimited resource.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Not to mention when you rest at a shrine while in a dungeon, it will recover all of your spell points.

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    a. click to attack (melee or ranged)*
        a1. press key on keyboard for spell (or click the spell on your hotbar)**
        **repeat for potions, scrolls, and other consumables
    *adjust as necessary to counter monster attacks, which you will know after having run the quest and died