Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Neverwinter Nights MMO?

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Explain to me the big deal about this please.

Forgotten Realms was the most popular setting for players of the AD&D pen and paper RPG before WotWC bought out TSR and raped the franchise and left them with a dessicated corpse.So it has the most fans and the deepest lore and literature associated with it.

Well put. Very very, well put.

I personally always preffered Greyhawk but that's just perosnal preference.

I too have fond memories of Greyhawk, but I feel in terms of popularity and quality of the lore and sheer amount of excellent novels spawned from it, Forgotten Realms wins hands down.

As to Atari/Cryptic's assembly line turd factory being allowed anywhere near this cheerished memory.......

:: Puts fingers in ears ::

La la la la la la, I can't hear you. La la la la la. I'm in my happy place ........NO NO NO MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!

MOMMY, MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless Cryptic makes a game called "Control This Robot to Hit Bill Roper Repeatedly in the Scrotum With a Baseball Bat", I'll never spend a dime on an Atari/Cryptic product.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Explain to me the big deal about this please.

Forgotten Realms was the most popular setting for players of the AD&D pen and paper RPG before WotWC bought out TSR and raped the franchise and left them with a dessicated corpse.So it has the most fans and the deepest lore and literature associated with it.

Well put. Very very, well put.

I personally always preffered Greyhawk but that's just perosnal preference.

I too have fond memories of Greyhawk, but I feel in terms of popularity and quality of the lore and sheer amount of excellent novels spawned from it, Forgotten Realms wins hands down.

As to Atari/Cryptic's assembly line turd factory being allowed anywhere near this cheerished memory.......

:: Puts fingers in ears ::

La la la la la la, I can't hear you. La la la la la. I'm in my happy place ........NO NO NO MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!

MOMMY, MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless Cryptic makes a game called "Control This Robot to Hit Bill Roper Repeatedly in the Scrotum With a Baseball Bat", I'll never spend a dime on an Atari/Cryptic product.

Great memories all of them Greyhawk, and the Forgotten Realms.  Myself I was partial to Dragonlance and as such I learned long ago that our favorite ip's don't get it right all the time so I can live with the decision to go to Cryptic if it is made, I've seen much worse out of my beloved Dragonlance.  But agree if Cryptic touches anything D&D I will not spend a dime on it the fact that I didn't have a great love is the only reason I tried STO I simply couldn't watch Cryptic butcher an IP I felt close to.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Without a doubt I would play that, or should I say I would want to ;P (don't play p2p games).

Always been a huge fan of NWN, the first was probably the game I spent the most time online in at that time, and if they stayed true to the rules, setup, and what that series is about, then it should be an instant success in my books.

It'd probably be more along the lines of Dragon Age, atleast as far as gameplay and mechanics go though (which were the same but more refined/accessible).

• LickitungLickitung Member Posts: 35

Everyone whining and moaning about Cryptic need to re-read the article again.  CAREFULLY.

"Cryptic" in this article is used as an ADJECTIVE.  It is NOT used to refer to Cryptic studios.  The article is about ATARI.  ATARI purchased the domains.  ATARI dropped 'cryptic', a.k.a. mysterious, hints about working on a MMO.  Cryptic Studios DOES NOT have the IP for this.  ATARI, creators or the original NWN's, are going to be working on it, if it is this that they are working on.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

On paper NWN mmo looks good. But in reality it'll be a pve-centric mmo. IMO, reason? It uses the same dice system as DnD. with that system pvp will be hard to balance.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by Lickitung

Everyone whining and moaning about Cryptic need to re-read the article again.  CAREFULLY.

"Cryptic" in this article is used as an ADJECTIVE.  It is NOT used to refer to Cryptic studios.  The article is about ATARI.  ATARI purchased the domains.  ATARI dropped 'cryptic', a.k.a. mysterious, hints about working on a MMO.  Cryptic Studios DOES NOT have the IP for this.  ATARI, creators or the original NWN's, are going to be working on it, if it is this that they are working on.

You do realize that Cryptic is wholly owned by Atari, right?  And that they are the only studio which produces mmorpg's for Atari?  And that the fact that Cryptic is working on a D&D license has been consistently reported for years?

• LickitungLickitung Member Posts: 35

Nope, didn't know that.  learn something new everyday.  Thanks for correcting me.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Most of us know this one IS being developed by Cryptic and will use the same engine as Champions Online and STO and that tells us the following:

1. There is no need to pay the full price for the game when it first comes out unless you just want to play in the first month.  The price of the game will come down $10 or more and extra game time may be offered if you simply wait a month or two from launch to buy it.

2. There is no need to buy extra copies to get exclusives because they will just be available in the C-Store in a few months.

3. The game will be heavily instanced and working with others will not really be required, at least not in the first 90% of levels.

4. The game will be easy and you can max level a char in 30 days with just normal gameplay, faster if you power game.

5. The game will be released with limited end-game content and will remain so for months until content is leaked in with a raid or two every month

6. If the game has a crafting system in it, it will be bad, not very complex and the things you can craft will be substandard to loot drops so there will not be much of a need to use it.

Sorry all you NWN fans, this isnt gonna be the game you are looking for.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• StonewyvernStonewyvern Member Posts: 1

As one of those people that run a persistant world using NWN (Bioware's, not the mess NWN2 was), and someone very familiar with Cryptic's atrocities, I can only shudder at the idea of what they would do to this IP.

If anyone else were to do it, I would hold judgement, but if Cryptic is doing it I won't even give it a second thought.  I'll just stick to my own [url=http://www.talesofthesilvermarches.com/]Forgotten Realms persistant world based in the Silver Marches[/url].  

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Did I miss an article about Hasbro dropping their lawsuit to yank the license away from Atari? If Atari has Cryptic still working on this, even after the lawsuit was filed near the end of last year, then I sincerely hope that the lawsuit goes through (and in Hasbro's favor) before this game can see the light of day; Atari will have deserved losing out on all that development time and costs.

I would love to see a FR MMO, preferably with the D20 rulesets (3 ed, 3.5, or Pathfinder), just not one made by Cryptic. Needham, Emmert, and Roper have proven reepatedly that they do not have the first clue about what the majority of MMO players want; expect another copy and paste job, with the majority of content going to the C-Store.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• heimer73heimer73 Member Posts: 147

A forgotten realm MMO .... YES please. I am a bit worried if Cryptic is involved thouhg.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Cryptic is obviously making this. I mean it's a known fact that they are "working," I use that term lightly, on a third MMO and there have been some rumors claiming that it will based on NWN.

I'm going to pretend this game does not exist. Although I do hope that Critpic/Atari lose the license as I would hate to see one of my favorite settings turned into an instanced, cash shop driven pile of crap that Cryptic has the audacity to call "games."

• LongswdLongswd Member Posts: 155

Originally posted by heartless

Cryptic is obviously making this. I mean it's a known fact that they are "working," I use that term lightly, on a third MMO and there have been some rumors claiming that it will based on NWN.

I'm going to pretend this game does not exist. Although I do hope that Critpic/Atari lose the license as I would hate to see one of my favorite settings turned into an instanced, cash shop driven pile of crap that Cryptic has the audacity to call "games."

I was about to say that however it turns out, it couldn't be any worse than DDO....but yeah, Cryptic, that would do it.

• goeegoannagoeegoanna Member UncommonPosts: 43

I have been hoping for a NWN MMO ever since NWN came out. It is, in my opinion, one of the best games ever made.

I only regret that they didn't obtain Bioware to create it. I have no real appreciation for Cryptic's efforts on STO, it was just plain awful. Neverwinter needs deep and stimulating storytelling, interesting characters, good acting and a rich detailed world, no one does this better than Bioware.

I only hope that they actually have Druids and give them the love they deserve.

Here's all the hope I can muster.....good luck Cryptic make Nevrwinter a game that it deserves to be.

• anjealous82anjealous82 Member UncommonPosts: 123

I look at this post and what do I see. Some of the most negative comment in history. It seems to me though that all of your standards are all too damn high. Honestly Im hoping it's not NWN. Too many companies are trying to turn good single player independant lables into MMO properties. Fallout Online I wouldnt bother with. Elderscrolls online better to stay single player. As with a few other games. Some game are just ment to be single player only leave shit and quit fucking with peoples injoyment , in a world of solitude. You want to socialize and do something with other people get your ass out the chair and go out. I seriously hate when people try to take a good series and go mmo just to make a continual blackhole in your wallet. IMO Cryptic is not a bad company and not every game will be open world. Some people just dont have fun with open world and prefer a more controle sector. Besides if they did make COH of CO for that matter open world villans would probaly be on a rampaging spree. So deal with.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by anjealous82

I look at this post and what do I see. Some of the most negative comment in history. It seems to me though that all of your standards are all too damn high.

If you are talking about the Cryptic comments in this part, it's not that our standrads are too high but that Cryptic's 'standards' are too low. There's a solid reason why they are considered one of the worst MMO companies out there. As for NWN? That section of the Forgotten Realms has been done enough, in my opinion; I would far rather see and explore (i.e. not be stuck in a single city, as with DDO) the rest of the Forgotten realms (Cormyr, the Sword Coast, etc.).

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• lordessedesslordessedess Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by lethys

If Cryptic makes the game, the only thing I'd want to see is the rage on the forums from the people who bought lifetime subs.  Cryptic is literally the worst video game company, bar none.  I can't even think of a single one worse than Cryptic is.

NC Soft

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Cryptic maybe learned from their mistakes. Till we have seen something (non)playable, I'm very interested in this title.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Khealler

Cryptic maybe learned from their mistakes. Till we have seen something (non)playable, I'm very interested in this title.

Well that's the problem. CO and STO weren't mistakes, but a deliberately half-assed game manufacturing strategy. Cryptic has no interest in trying to make an extraordinary game that is true to the intellectual property they license. Instead they make a game with the bare minimum of effort in an attempt to milk the lovers of the franchise for as much cash as they can. Garbage in = Garbage out.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

what are the chances that Cryptic actually makes a successful game out of this.....

about as likely as me winning the lottery probably.. but we can always hope.. maybe they've learned from their mistakes... though.. STO seems to be an indication that perhaps they havent..  image

• RegenRegen Member Posts: 53

Re:OP:

I like the Forgotten Realms, but arent to fond of the character progression system.
    One of the nice things about the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons(AD&D) games tho, is things like the number of different spells a character can cast.
    I only know the AD&D systems from the "Baldurs gate" and "NWN" games, but things like resistance are pretty nice. Its not like "maybe it works", its a percentage and it works, end of story.

I think, if the game is AD&D its gonna be like every other game out there.
    The will to sit down at my computer and spend lots of time just leveling for no other purpuse than levels is not something i want to do. Nether is raids and instance runs, and if i have to guess, id say this game will have both.

I wish people would stop asking the question: "Will this ip make a good MMO?".
    Existing ips are allready used, and in many cases overused.
    "This one is taken! Get youre own!" Thats what i think.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/261448/page/5

"I'd just like to see more games that focus on the world, and giving the people in it more of a role, im tired of these constant single player games that you can walk around with millions of people."

- Parsalin

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

What do I think of a Neverwinter Nights MMO?

Tell me it's not Cryptic, SOE or Funcom doing it and we'll go from there.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
  • mukinmukin Member UncommonPosts: 80

I'd love to give it a try!

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

What do I think of a Neverwinter Nights MMO?

Tell me it's not Cryptic, SOE or Funcom doing it and we'll go from there.

I believe it is Cryptic that will be developing this.

http://www.massively.com/ (scroll down after you click the link and you will find the article.)

From this article, they mention Cryptic and their new MMO to be announced this summer.

http://www.massively.com/2010/05/05/cryptic-to-announce-new-mmo-later-this-summer/

I hope to God its not Cryptic, and that I am mistaken about the developer... but there ya go.