Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Some New MMO Settings

Comments

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by Saerain

I'd only be interested in steampunk if the setting was Arcanum, and cyberpunk if it was Shadowrun. The two genres generally annoy me in various ways, but Arcanum and Shadowrun have special places in my heart for nostalgic reasons.

The Secret World and World of Darkness are textbook alternate realities, aren't they?

Anyway, the only thing I didn't see on the list which I've been interested in seeing for a long time is Abrahamic mythology. There are very few mythological settings to begin with, and whenever we do see them, they tend to use Greek mythology, Norse mythology, or Chinese mythology. RPGs have seen success with Abrahamic mythology, such as games like In Nomine, more loosely in the old World of Darkness, and much more loosely in games like Diablo. MMOs, though, seem to avoid it altogether—presumably because, unlike Zeus, Yahweh still has fans so hardcore that they might be called religious. Yet still....

Would be cool, but as you mentioned, unlikely to happen due to its sensitive nature and the politically correct world we live in today.

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Cyberpunk?

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• sollicksollick Member Posts: 4

Prehistoric,1910 to 1940 Gangsters, or Old West settings would be great, but i like Alternative history setting.

i may be a little biased though because i been reading 2 series of books released by Bean publisheing 1632 and 1812

• sollicksollick Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Athcear

Cyberpunk?

Cyberpunk is a pen and paper RPG where people can be a Cyburg ie; part machine and part human

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• MetalPuppetMetalPuppet Member UncommonPosts: 10

How about a world where the US stayed "neutral" during WW2 ?  If Japan had not attacked Pearl Harbor would the US be a super power today.

• DrakonusDrakonus Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

Steampunk/cyberpunk would be cool or a well done scifi MMO, wild west sounds interesting as well.

Well Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online is going to have that Steampunk/Cyberpunk type of feel, that's one reason I bookmarked it as a potential.

http://www.darkmillenniumonline.com/

• mOoKmOoK Member Posts: 26

I think you guys are posting a lot of epic, character driven settings when people throw out names like Krynn, WoT, bladerunner..  There are fun to read, but ultimately boring to play in.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Bladerunner would be cool.  A real star trek game would be cool.   Stargate would be nice if they could find somebody who' snot firesky to work on it.

• GozerTCGozerTC Member UncommonPosts: 119

I'm glad you mentioned Naomi Novik Tremere books because that's an AWESOME alternate reality book.  One I'd whole heartedly like to see done.  (Mostly as a single player game but an MMO world could be interesting. :) )

Other than that I pretty much agree with the entire list.  Esepcially Steampunk. 

Current Game: Asssasins Creed 2(PS3, Gamer Tag: Happy_Hubby)
    Current MMO: World of Warcraft and World of Tanks
    Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.
    Tried: Too many to list

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

there are several i would really like explored

first is a totally unknown unexplored planet  that the players start out knowing  effectivly nothing about they have to learn discover everything but keep it real stay away from the "mmo"  feel  go for idealized reality  colinizing a planet  a game called SEED had a great concept but  but the game was trash  they started out on a crashed coliny ship  but you knew nothing of the worled even if it had a breathable atmosphere  initial goals were to repair the ship  lifesupport  food water ect make it liveable  see what resources were on hand or what could be crafted,, after all that then find out what kind of planet you landed on and make the best of it   there could be aliens  or other colinizers

an EVE like theme that is casual player friendly   that you can trade and explore mine  and yes there are places to fight  im thinking star ship troopers like assaults where players can run fighters bombers haulers  even carriers  but its more about the dramatics of the fight not  ganking kills (this means more wounded ships not dead ships and supplys like AB fuel and air  food water  this game is at the top of my list as i was hoping star trek online would be the game for EVE REFUGEES to call home  but they gimped it to yet another lame franchinse leach game.

another one is spies and agents where you are  in different factons  and can do spy  or  espionage  or  assisnation  or even combat raids on other factons  with normal and exotic weapons   hacking  lock picking  pickpocketing  bombs   and an orginazitation doesnt have to be defined by a country boarders  it could be terrorists/freedom fighters using gurella warfare tactics against a major super power that way even small orgainzations have a nitch.

aftermaths  post nuke ,, or or WW3+5  is fun also  the tail end of a world war where you are still at war but have to rely on your skills and scrounging ability to continue the struggle  TWILIGHT 2000 type world 

moden military war  that is long and persistant  with different theaters  desert arctic  temperate  and but the game isnt  narrowed to just  a squad  but includes   many areas  of support  transports artillery medical  supply   dont just make it another BANG YOUR DEAD game in joint operations (modern combat jungle islands) one of the funest things I liked to do was transport troops to an LZ via helo  3 second touch down, players jump off  and away I went

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76

Shadowrun.   Just need to get microsoft to give up the IP.   They've gang raped it for long enough

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

I'd throw in my vote for the steampunk or cyberpunk settings. Although, now that someone mentioned the Dresden files, I have to agree that would be fantastic.

• PsychoMarinePsychoMarine Member UncommonPosts: 13

I agree with the Dresden Files theme (the world itself, not the series). I guess I should mention, I'm not very critical with games, or anything, really. Easily entertained I am... But, I've read the Dresden Files, and could see that being a nice MMO. Starting out as just a normal vanilla mortal, and then weird things start happening. You eventually find out that the world's not as it seems, and that there are ancient supernatural civilizations vying for power. You learn to adapt and protect yourself, and eventually, get caught up in it. Whether taking up the mantle of a knight for one of the Fae courts, joining one of the three courts of vampires, becoming a werewolf, or, anything, really. Hell, even maybe you took a walk down an alley, and ended up in the "wrong fuckin' alley" (I thought of the Boondock Saints... >_>), and became something against your will, and now you've gone rogue. So now you have whatever you became coming after you and watching your back for those werewolves who just naturally hate you, or that combat wizard who caught wind of someone, or hell, maybe it was you (if you decided you hated life, and are now partaking in spiting the world), causing urban terror. And then there's the whole subject of weaponry (whether it be your trusty staff and combat wizardry training from your uncle who you found out was a Warden for the White Council of Wizards, or just running around in a forest at night in the form of a grey wolf, etc.) and survival, and just, yeah...

I don't know. It may or may not work. Or it may just not appeal to a lot of people. But I think, if done right (if I had a nickel for every time I heard that...), it could be a fun game.

I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will ever tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on, I am your teacher.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Whoa! Excellent article Will!

MMOs definatly need to branch out and diversify.

I think I would be interested in MMOs set in any of these genres.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• xuitonxuiton Member Posts: 133

what about fedual japan without the over the top korean animie shit

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

Personally, I long for a well-developed game with a setting in Asia before any semblance of an industrial revolution came to be.  A game world of soldiers, samurai, ninja, mercenaries, farmers, thugs, monks, priests, and any number of possible archetypes could easily be applied.  I'd love to play in a game world like that with elemental or spiritual powers related to chi / ki, etc.  I may be the only one, though.

Of the style listed, Steampunk would be my choice.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

What about a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" MMO.  Or where you play as a minaturized person or even an insect. Living in a a contemporary property setting. Survive against other insects, giant sized objects like vaccuums, brooms, pets, etc. raid for resourch rich areas, etc.

Another could be an undersea world -

• boincmanboincman Member Posts: 99

Steampuke would be really cool.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by battleaxe

Lots of book based big name realms with no current games behind them:

SpellJammer

Shadowrun

Dark Sun

Wheel of Time

DeathGate

Xanth

Krynn

Ringworld

Foundation

No, no, no!

As great as these are, this is one of the problems. Game developers need to start thinking originally and stop basing their games off someone elses IP.

I cant think of 1 MMO created from a pre-existing IP that has been any good.

Using a pre-existing IP just limits the flexability and creativity  of what can be done.

As for the OP, I would love to see a Steampunk or Wild West MMO.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Totally agree we need some well done AAA titles that go away from the norm. Myself I would like to see a CIA, KGB, Military Ranks ect... game come out.

Wild West would be amazing...so many options, please get away from DPS/Healer/Tank tho, im getting sick of them roles in a game. Lets just make combat fun and challenging.  

• ctrichelctrichel Member Posts: 2

While I do love my Fantasy, there is a huge glut of Fantasy MMOs, and frankly it's getting pretty boring.

I've always been a fan of the multi-universe idea (multiple genres). So I'm happy to see Rift: Planes of Telara coming out, though I'm not sure it will go quite far enough to satisfy my idea of multi-universe. Think more along the lines of Palladium's Rifts or the book Time Storm by Gordon R. Dickson. I'd like to see the rifts/portals actually change the landscape. 

I've also been a big fan of the Western theme, but I'd rather see a SteamPunk/Western fusion (like the awesome TV series Wild Wild West). Maybe even a Fantasy/Western fusion, with Dwarven Prospectors, Paladin Posses, and so much more!

Finallyl, I have to agree that Dresden is a great setting, but I really think that Dresden setting is more of a subtle variation on the World of Darkness. I am excited by the prospects of and can't wait to see how WoD and Secret World are going to work out.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Toothman

Shadowrun.   Just need to get microsoft to give up the IP.   They've gang raped it for long enough

Shadowrun's video game liscense is owned by Smith & Tinker, a company owned by Jordan Weisman, one of the original creators of Shadowrun. (Has been the case since 2008 I believe. After M$ 360 flop.) They've also made a sort of MMO already that you may have seen.

So.. It's possible.

I like how Shadowrun and MechWarrior still get a ton of mentions WEEKLY.

It's insane nothing more comes out of it tho'.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by fansede

What about a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" MMO.  Or where you play as a minaturized person or even an insect. Living in a a contemporary property setting. Survive against other insects, giant sized objects like vaccuums, brooms, pets, etc. raid for resourch rich areas, etc.

Another could be an undersea world -

Creative.  I'd give it a go.

• ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by eburn

Originally posted by Toothman

Shadowrun's video game liscense is owned by Smith & Tinker, a company owned by Jordan Weisman, one of the original creators of Shadowrun. (Has been the case since 2008 I believe. After M$ 360 flop.) They've also made a sort of MMO already that you may have seen.

So.. It's possible.

I like how Shadowrun and MechWarrior still get a ton of mentions WEEKLY.

It's insane nothing more comes out of it tho'.

I know smith and tinker bought the BT license back.  Didn't know they bought the Shadowrun license.  There was a company that had a Shadowrun MMO half made.  I no longer remember the companies name but it looked really good.  Unfortunately microsuck had a tantrum and their lawyers made the company shelve the project.