Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Neverwinter Nights MMO?

Comments

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

NWN as a MMO?  NNO?  I'm in.

• zehamberglarzehamberglar Member UncommonPosts: 27

I honestly don't like the idea.

A forgotten realms (in general) MMO would be fun, yes.

Specifically the NWN setting? Sounds like it'd be boring.

I'll stick with Eberron for now (which has always been my favorite DnD Universe). Hopefully they release a second DDO, or a big graphics update or something.

• LokyLoky Member UncommonPosts: 182

Maybe for Console?

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

What a sad day it would be if cryptic got thier greedy lil hands on a NWN mmo

*shudder*

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

I would rather see NWN3 done in more of a style like the first NWN. But as an mmo, not to sure about that idea.

• phoonzangphoonzang Member UncommonPosts: 22

NWN is nice but I would like to see a Darksun campaign setting.  

This whole conversation is getting weird ... Just plain weird

• billogrobillogro Member CommonPosts: 9

No way... it's the only place where there is an actual REAL rper community... turning it into an MMO would kinda ruin it. :|

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

I would love a true Forgotten Realms D&D online game - would be the one title that would cause all others to /cancel.

Unfortunately, I doubt it could ever meet expectations. Leaving me (and others) to wallow in anguish over what might have been.

With this game I would expect everything the game books provide, an exact (or at least thoughtful, functioning) representation of the gameplay mechanics (in real time of course).

Let me be a GM and "rent" a dungeon instance that I open for business on Friday nights that allows me to set obstacles, mobs, difficulty and integrated voice chat using an ominous altered voice. I could then role play a hapless loner on the side of the road beckoning those who wander by to take up arms and follow me to retrieve... my lost parakeet.

Cantrips and liches, Elminster and Mistra... Menzoberranzan. Dual class and fireballs.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

A Forgotten Realms / Neverwinter Nights MMO has long been rumored to be in development by Atari.  And of course Cryptic is making it.  This was before Champions and STO was even released.  The only thing stopping them was the lawsuit, which I never heard if it was settled or not.

Personally, I couldn't be less excited for a D&D product in my life.  It's a real shame such a great franchise is in the hands of Atari / Cryptic.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

I would be very interested in a D&D based MMO that had the option to successfully replicate Pen & Paper D&D. You could have computer-generated dungeons that players could opt to modify and D&M, as well as giving players the option to generate their own dungeons from scratch.

This could lend itself greatly to the currenly popular cash shop model, offering DMing tools/upgrades for reasonable prices.

Plus, I'd like to see the D&D game mechanics brought to life, i.e. formations/tactics instead of the (un)holy trinity of Tank-Healer-DPS. DDO came close, but the game still relies on the trinity.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Best lore and background stories, a forgotten realms MMO......  but only if no based totally on the D20 system thats just not fit for an MMO

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

It would put money on it being a NWN mmo. After all Atari is buying all the NMN websites out there. If you remember back a few years, a rather large Diable 3 community website called Diablo3.com, which just was a fan site for Diablo and Diablo 2,  was bought and shutdown by blizzard to only open it up later for there up and coming Diablo 3 game.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

I've said both before, I'll say both again ...

Whoever thought to put DDO in Ebberon and not Forgotten Realms should've been fired as soon as their idiot lips parted.

There are a LOT of MMO'ers that cut their teeth by rolling dice in FR. None of my original gaming group can get together anymore, but we all MMO and we all look for a way to get FR online ... somehow. We even looked at the NWN engine to try to mod, but nobody has the time.

Second, if BioWare would release NWN3 Player Client for $50 & NWN3 DM client for $250 + $5 / month / 8 Clients  (with GUI encounter builders, rule changers, class creators, etc ... AND! a dedicated server program capable of handling  up to 128 clients) I firmly believe they would have the second or third largest "MMO" ever. But their profits would be amazing because there would be no need to provide game servers or Customer Support outside of technical issues. OR, they could provide a full sized persistent world and add a $15 / month charge to the player client.

Where it get's REAL interesting is when the devs start buying "areas" from DMs that run their own vanilla servers but just chose to focus on different areas than Neverwinter. In less than 18 months I think the entire world of Faerun would be populated .. from Kara-Tur to that island that took the place of Maztica.

But I think every MMO should offer a DM client. Something where people could actually MAKE edits to the game (text bugs) and submit whole new areas for review. Imagine how awesome any game could be with 10k or 100k builders and bug fixers.

I'd buy it.

I know lots of MUD devs would.

How about all the people going through school for game design?

• PapoyePapoye Member Posts: 15

New Neverwinter Night! NWN:Chronicles of a failure.

Atari remenber what made the success of a game before make a new one.

Make a rpg with toolset and DM tools.It's what D&D players want and it's what Neverwinternights players want.

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

it's a horrible and ungodly shame Cryptic has this IP. They're going to run it right into the fucking ground like every single thing they put out.  Hell, it's most likely going to be built on that same pisspoor used up outdated engine they keep recycling.  R.I.P NWN. You were a great game and so was your sequel.

Sometimes it's better to just let things die off.  Atari. You are total idiots for this. Seriously.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

I don't hate Champions but no way would I want this game engine or mechanics slapped on a D&D game. Gonna have to say no to Cryptic on this one. They have one of the most popular Sci-Fi IP's and just wasted it for the most part.

Sadly, I don't have much faith in them creating anything deeper than a Popcorn-MMO.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

I would love to see another NWN MMO.  Maybe we can bring back some of the old guilds.  KEF, KAAOS, KoRT, SA, TGC.  I think it would be great fun.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I think Atari is getting sued over the DND rights, so who knows if they'll ever make a NWN MMO. They most likely would get Craptic to make it, so it'll suck.

• draygothdraygoth Member Posts: 1

I Love the idea of an MMO in the forgotten realms setting...and would play a NWNMMO.

• chronbodichronbodi Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Drakynn

I personally always preffered Greyhawk but that's just perosnal preference.

HERESY!!!!!!!

Nah, I'm just playin. Despite my long history with Forgotten Realms I'd probably go with Greyhawk first as well. What are the chances of THAT IP getting used for a big budget mmo though? There are maybe 12 living people in the US who have played in that setting, I'm pretty sure it's down to my D&D group and a group in Cleveland. Weren't the rest taken out by WotC in the setting wars of 98?

How is that Pathfinder anyway? We're still using 3.5. It's the first time in 20 years that we got a new version, bought all the books, tried it.... and within a month went back to the last edition. 1st was great, back in the middle school days. 2nd was amazing, so much more fun to run. 3rd was great, fixed what needed fixing and added fin new content. 3.5 tweaked it, no complaints. 4th ed came out and it was like they made a new Godfather movie but it was animated. With crayons. By a drunken clown. Ideally I'd like a system made by and for people who've been playing for at least 15 years. Hell, I was 12 when I started playing first edition and I figured it out ok.

If you want to make your product appeal to the biggest possible market, fine. Dumb it down all ya like. They did that back in 1977 and it worked great. You had D&D, the 70's equivalent of 4th ed. And you had AD&D, for people who wanted something a little more complex than Duplo Blocks. They should split it off again in my opinion, but... alas. We'll just keep using 3.5 til we find a game that fits.

I know some people are really enjoying the new edition. If you are, good. I don't begrudge you your opinion. I think my biggest annoyance with it is the retrogression to miniatures and hex maps. I can't stand that stuff. I like to visualize it in my head, not on a plastic sheet with lines painted on and cardboard or pewter figures. That sort of thing is fine for Warhammer but for D&D? I dunno. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Me and a few old school guys won't buy all the 4th ed addon books and such but it makes zero difference when 50 thousand parents are picking up the things for their kids. *shrug* I'm gettin old I guess.  Ah well, that's the nice thing about bigger circulation. It guarantees the game will go on in some form, even if it's not the one I want.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Do not screw this up Cryptic! it is just one of the best itellectual properties out there and I'm just cringing at the thought of Cryptic  gettind their hands on it. As always though, we'll see how it goes.

Thats like telling the fat retarded kid "Dont pick your nose and eat it!" You know its going to happen. Its inevitable.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

Originally posted by Rockgod99

The hell with a mmorpg I would rather get NWN 3 a true co-op rpg that's supported by a mod community. NWN 2 wasn't very good IMO.

This.

I couldn't agree more.

• b003b003 Member UncommonPosts: 54

As long as WOC doesn't screw it up. DnD aint what it used to be.

• FalendorFalendor Member UncommonPosts: 81

as long as its not 4th ed rules, OR they fix 4th ed (make it more like book of 9 swords).

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by chronbodi

Originally posted by Drakynn

I personally always preffered Greyhawk but that's just perosnal preference.

HERESY!!!!!!!

Nah, I'm just playin. Despite my long history with Forgotten Realms I'd probably go with Greyhawk first as well. What are the chances of THAT IP getting used for a big budget mmo though? There are maybe 12 living people in the US who have played in that setting, I'm pretty sure it's down to my D&D group and a group in Cleveland. Weren't the rest taken out by WotC in the setting wars of 98?

How is that Pathfinder anyway? We're still using 3.5. It's the first time in 20 years that we got a new version, bought all the books, tried it.... and within a month went back to the last edition. 1st was great, back in the middle school days. 2nd was amazing, so much more fun to run. 3rd was great, fixed what needed fixing and added fin new content. 3.5 tweaked it, no complaints. 4th ed came out and it was like they made a new Godfather movie but it was animated. With crayons. By a drunken clown. Ideally I'd like a system made by and for people who've been playing for at least 15 years. Hell, I was 12 when I started playing first edition and I figured it out ok.

If you want to make your product appeal to the biggest possible market, fine. Dumb it down all ya like. They did that back in 1977 and it worked great. You had D&D, the 70's equivalent of 4th ed. And you had AD&D, for people who wanted something a little more complex than Duplo Blocks. They should split it off again in my opinion, but... alas. We'll just keep using 3.5 til we find a game that fits.

I know some people are really enjoying the new edition. If you are, good. I don't begrudge you your opinion. I think my biggest annoyance with it is the retrogression to miniatures and hex maps. I can't stand that stuff. I like to visualize it in my head, not on a plastic sheet with lines painted on and cardboard or pewter figures. That sort of thing is fine for Warhammer but for D&D? I dunno. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Me and a few old school guys won't buy all the 4th ed addon books and such but it makes zero difference when 50 thousand parents are picking up the things for their kids. *shrug* I'm gettin old I guess.  Ah well, that's the nice thing about bigger circulation. It guarantees the game will go on in some form, even if it's not the one I want.

I am of the same mind...I don't liek miniatures and hex maps....the beauty of AD&D is the adventure was in your head and only limited by your imagination.Sure you had character sheets and a pencil to keep trakc of stats(and write notes to the DM for stuff the res tof th eparty didn't need to know muhahaha). 3.5 was the last true edition of AD&D,anything after is a different game using a famous name.

As for why I prefer Greyhawk ...what can I say I like the subtle humor infused into the lore and land and to be honest AD&D campaigns have never been better than Temple of Elemental Evil and the Against the Giants campaign series.