Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Neverwinter Nights MMO?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In a mysterious announcement at this year's GenCon, Atari indicated that it was working on a Dungeons & Dragons based MMO but could not discuss it at the time. The announcement came during a discussion of new D&D products, as reported by Critical-Hits.com. In addition, SuperAnnuation.com has discovered that several domain names have been purchased by Atari including VisitNeverwinter.com, Neverwinter-game.com, NeverwinterGame.com, PlayNeverwinter.com, and SaveNeverwinter.com. The domain registry was completed on August 4th and doesn't expire until 2013.

So, what would you think of a Neverwinter NIghts MMO? Let us know on our forums.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gravenzgravenz Member Posts: 36

I'd be very interested in seeing what they can do with it.

I played nwn + the kingmaker expansion, but had already moved to WoW before nwn 2 was released.

If I hear anything about it being f2p, though, I won't give it any more thought. :P

• wesewese Member Posts: 21

Imo, their way too late for it being successful. Not because of 'that other'-mmo but the latest NWN game is already pretty aged, thou some ppl play on kinda 'persistant' services in an mmo-fashion, but still too late.

I'd rather like to see daoc2.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Would depend entirely on the ruleset that they decided to use.  Everything so far using the new rules has really sucked as they dumbed down what once was a deep and rich game for the mmo crowd.  Regardless, if it is Cryptic making it, well.... I fear it will be a stellar flop.

• gaidin6gaidin6 Member Posts: 29

Meh!  I don't expect it will be a Triple A MMO or  sandbox so there's not much in the way of interest for me.  I'll stick to SWG-EMU for now, thanks.

-=[ Gaidin ]=-

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Well if Cryptic is making we all knwo what to expect.Great Character customizaiton at creation ,heavily instanced world,very little content with most of it being repeatable missions to disguise the severe lack of content and anything outside combat will be broken at launch.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

If Cryptic makes the game, the only thing I'd want to see is the rage on the forums from the people who bought lifetime subs.  Cryptic is literally the worst video game company, bar none.  I can't even think of a single one worse than Cryptic is.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Do not screw this up Cryptic! it is just one of the best itellectual properties out there and I'm just cringing at the thought of Cryptic  gettind their hands on it. As always though, we'll see how it goes.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    The hell with a mmorpg I would rather get NWN 3 a true co-op rpg that's supported by a mod community. NWN 2 wasn't very good IMO.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Forgotten realms is the perfect world for a MMO. But I have a feeling Cryptic will release it way too early and flush it down like STO.

I am hoping to be wrong but I never forgave Bioware for selling the IP, NWN 2 was crappy and that was a lot easier to make than a full MMO is. And Obsidian is at least somewhat more competent than Cryptic.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Eh, they could do a lot with it considering that it is technically Forgotten Realms.

I think I'm with Rockgod99 on this tho'; I'd rather see a good stand alone game. Maybe a MMO type hybrid deal where community could be a focus.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

As long as they don't allow Cryptic to develop it I would interested in giving it a shot. If Cryptic gets their hands on it at all it is a HUGE NO for me.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Explain to me the big deal about this please.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

I am a big fan of Champions Online and i think its an incredible MMO. If NWN is as much fun as CO i will surely give it a try even though i am not into fantasy genre.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Explain to me the big deal about this please.

Forgotten Realms was the most popular setting for players of the AD&D pen and paper RPG before WotWC bought out TSR and raped the franchise and left them with a dessicated corpse.So it has the most fans and the deepest lore and literature associated with it.

I personally always preffered Greyhawk but that's just perosnal preference.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I am really skeptical that Atari or their minions can pull off a decent Neverwinter Nights game.  There are too many mediocre games in the fantasy area already, we don't need another one.

• MareWindsMareWinds Member Posts: 46

I'm just going to keep my reaction simple:

Ooooh....

Forget the skepticism; this is a definite "wait and see".

• jnicholajnichola Member Posts: 118

This would be very nice! I believe Atari would do this IP justice... the current D&D MMO incarnation does not satisfy ... I miss the old world settings, forgotten realms, greyhawk ... this is D&D.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I am a big Pen and Paper RPG fan so i would be really excited if there would be a MMO which heavily makes use of all the rules.

However i would only be interested if they would really stick to the rules which kind of would make the game harder than most mmos out there right now BUT if they would do so i dont think the game would become a success most ppls would just not be able to handle it anymore ::

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

What do I think of a NWN MMO? Awesomesauce!

What do I think about Atari backing it? ehh...

I'm just happy someone might be doing something more with the D&D universe than DDO, which IMO, is pretty damn terrible.

Joined - July 2004

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

the Forgotten Realms stories and lore is one that has no equal. However I only trust BioWare  (black Isle) in the making of their games. Baldur's Gate is one of the best games ever made in my opinion (thats also due to using the 2ed rules) and i would love to see an MMOs build around the land North of Amn.

however I do not think one will ever come...and I would be very careful if i saw one that was coming.

• LifeyLifey Member Posts: 9

Actually, give me a persistent world with a toolset like NWN and let us make our own adventures within the framework/world... that might have possibilities.  Make just a fantasy MMO set in and around NW? Bah, dime meet dozen.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

First. NO Cryptic! DO NOT Let them have this.

Second. Why Neverwinter Nights? Why not just Forgotten Realms Online?

Third. At least sell it like it's going to be the world of Faerun and we'll be running all over Forgotten Realms locales with abandon!

That's all. Now implement!

• markfromindymarkfromindy Member UncommonPosts: 36

I don't think the OP got their facts straight at all.

For one, Atari was nowhere to be found at GenCon, nor were any pc or mmo folks, not this year . Not even Blizzard was there like in years past to show off their next expansion ( which I thought was a bit surprising.Maybe the computer and videogame folks are feeling the economic crunch and decided not to spend the money on show room space?)

In the DnD seminar, it's only mentioned that Atari was working on a videogame, and they couldn't talk about it.However it's been rumoured in other places for quite a few months that Cryptic was working on some kind of FR MMO, and that Atari wanted to do something with NeverWinter nights.That's been eluded to for awhile ever since the Turbine lawsuit.

In that one, Turbine alleged that Atari was trying to terminate their contract with Turbine and do an end run around them because they wanted another mmo studio ( allegedly Cryptic) to make an mmo based on Neverwinter Nights). Did that ever get settled?

Or did the suit WotC had against Atari ever get settled?They were suing Atari because they were dealing with a competitor in Europe ( Codemasters).I guess Atari was using Codmestars to manage DDO over there, which was a no no in the contract Atari had with WotC.

For me it's all a moot point, because if it is Cryptic, well Cryptic makes ultra shitty gamesBoth Champions Online and Star Trek Online are piles of crap.

• markfromindymarkfromindy Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by Lifey

Actually, give me a persistent world with a toolset like NWN and let us make our own adventures within the framework/world... that might have possibilities.  Make just a fantasy MMO set in and around NW? Bah, dime meet dozen.

I'd just like another product like NWN, but instead of Forgotten Realms give us Pathfinder.Paizo has made a much more compelling and interesting world, and Pathfinder is a much better written and realised system than DnD 4.0. I'd love an game like NWN but with updated graphics ( done right, not like the crappy NWN2 that Obsidian made).

• andrew24pandrew24p Member Posts: 70

but bioware on it and im in (considering they dont completely fail @ TOR)