Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a kill that cost 1295$ for real

cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

2010.08.07 20:23

Victim: aystra

Corp: BOAE INC

Alliance: SpaceMonkey's Alliance

Faction: NONE

Destroyed: Kestrel

System: Jita

Security: 0.9

Damage Taken: 251

Involved parties:

Name: slickdog (laid the final blow)

Security: 1.9

Corp: Method of Destruction

Alliance: The 0rphanage

Ship: Tempest

Weapon: 1400mm 'Scout' Artillery I

Damage Done: 251

Name: Viktor Vegas

Security: -0.7

Corp: Method of Destruction

Alliance: The 0rphanage

Ship: Hurricane

Weapon: 720mm Howitzer Artillery II

Damage Done: 0

Destroyed items:

Invulnerability Field I, Qty: 2

30 Day Pilot's License Extension (PLEX), Qty: 74 (Cargo)

Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints I, Qty: 3

Dropped items:

Cynosural Field Generator I

Fixed Parallel Link-Capacitor I

Expanded Cargohold I

Inertia Stabilizers II

stupid ppl use a kestrel to moVe PLEX

http://mofo.killmail.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=7309710

also the kill seams to be from the API system so this look like legit

BestSigEver :P

Comments

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Is this for real ?

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Holy shit...!

Sucks to be him. lol

And you would think some would have survived. Devs should look into that.

Course on a business stand point, its better for CCP if they dont.

Thats a shit load of free game time, if they had survived. What like 6 1/2 years of free game time.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Can't really believe anyone would be this stupid for real.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Is that basically 74 30-day game codes, right?  How could he have protected those assets?

• SeneriusSenerius Member UncommonPosts: 76

5 years 2 months

We all can only be who we are Nothing more nothing less.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

Seems most likely the guy has probly no freinds whatsoever in real life so he decided to waste his money to give out those to his clan or corp whatever you call it so he is probly crying right now xD

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Sure that is $1295 to me. . but in game it is  23.7 billion ISK. . . okay. . that is a lot.

I think people miss the poinst that any cargo has an ISK equivilent which has a cash equivilent. . it doesn't have to be PLEX.  PLEX is the most direct rout though. . why a Kestral. . something seems fishy about this one.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• robalecarobaleca Member Posts: 45

Probably a china farmer.

• testmylucktestmyluck Member Posts: 91

At first I was "ha, a PLEX exploaded, not that interesting though..."

then I saw "Qty 74" D8!

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Is that basically 74 30-day game codes, right?  How could he have protected those assets?

carry them in an apocalypse or a shuttle not in a retarded 251dmg ship.

I'd have probably brought a few Carrier friends just to watch over my shoulder.

Shuttle is still a bad idea. Because if this guys load times exiting the station are bad, 2-4 seconds, hes still gonna get popped.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by robaleca

Probably a china farmer.

I sure hope so. That would have epic win against the damn spammers written all over it.

Either that, or Aystra wins the 'best reason why I ragequit' award.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

So, that's essentially free money for CCP right? I mean someone, presumably this guy, bought the PLEX and now it will never get used....

I couldn't imagine what was going through his head as the ship exploded. I mean, as an absolute minimum I'd probably move them in a covops ship if I had to move them at all, then just a few at a time at that....

talk about a bad day....

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

No...he was in JITA.

he bought them off the market. So he didn't lose any real-money to CCP i don't think.

He lost a ...carrierload of ISK though. Maybe his life's savings? A crushing loss and one that will be tough to just say "meh stuff happens" and move on from very easily. But not a wallet loss in the present.

Sorry, to rephrase, someone paid real money for the PLEX, which looks like it was destroyed in the wreck, so end result would be "free" money for CCP. I didn't even notice it was Jita, just saw all the zeros in the "total module lost' box :P

-mklinic

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by mklinic

So, that's essentially free money for CCP right? I mean someone, presumably this guy, bought the PLEX and now it will never get used....

I couldn't imagine what was going through his head as the ship exploded. I mean, as an absolute minimum I'd probably move them in a covops ship if I had to move them at all, then just a few at a time at that....

talk about a bad day....

No...he was in JITA.

he bought them off the market. So he didn't lose any real-money to CCP i don't think.

He lost a ...carrierload of ISK though. Maybe his life's savings? A crushing loss and one that will be tough to just say "meh stuff happens" and move on from very easily. But not a wallet loss in the present.

Yeah, over 22 billion isk according to that link. One hell of a loss, though there is no telling if he originally purchased it with real money or isk.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

This is exactly why I stopped playing EVE. I don't know how I lasted 4 years in a game that promotes griefing and harassment.

Flame me all you want but encouraging this type of behavior and calling it "Content" to mask the lack there of ... yeah ok. Before you call me a noob who likes to be "held by the hand" no, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that promoting ganking is wrong. Especially in a game thats so unique in nature, fans of the concept that simply wanted a space sim in an MMO world where few viable ones exist, shouldn't have to endure this type of treatment if they don't want to. All some of us wanted was a space MMO. Instead of EVE we got "GOL: Gank Or Leave".

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I really doubt he's the one that purchased all of them. 

He's probably a trader, so he just lost 22 bil ISK.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Oh man, i bet that sucks hard for him :P Oh well.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

CCP made money, the poor guy lost ISK not Euros though. Why? whoever bought them with real money sold them to this guy.

so the real-money guy got his in-game money as he wanted by selling them in JITA. Then this guy bought them, lost the in-game money. But because he had 23bil in his pocket I guarantee he'll farm another 300mil by the end of the month. So did CCP really win much?

my opinion is NO.

Really doesn't matter if the victim lost real life money or not since the question was (paraphrase): "is this free money for CCP". The answer is based on CCP receiveing money, regardless of who paid them, and not having to render services so, in short, "yes'.

CCP made money without having to attach it to 30 days of game time since that "game time", in PLEX form, was destroyed. Did they make a killing? In the grand scheme of things, not really, but they did make over 5 years worth of subscription without having to provide any additional services or infrastructure beyond the current GTC/PLEX systems. Hence, the "free money' comment.

The underlying point of interest being how the implementation of PLEX being transportable, destroyable, etc has already demonstrated itself as an additional source of revenue. I think anyone who saw the devblog realized this was possible, and likely on a small scale, but not, perhaps, that we would see such a significant loss so soon. But, that last part is just speculation.

-mklinic

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I wonder if the introduction of a gameplay feature that risks the loss of real-life money could legally constitute a form of gambling.

random thought.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Yeah this news spread through the game like wild fire when it broke.   I was like OMG...74 PLEX's!  Can I haz!

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

The last thing I read in one of the dev blogs regarding plex being transportable is that it was an undestroyable item. I do not think this is real in any way shape or form. I do not have an active eve account atm but unless I saw the kill mail ingame I would not believe it. Now it is possible the plex was in the ship and dropped as loot in which case that would suck for the person transporting it, however, anyone transporting that much plex in one ship at one time kind of deserves losing it for sheer stupidity.

Originally posted by Maelkor

The last thing I read in one of the dev blogs regarding plex being transportable is that it was an undestroyable item. I do not think this is real in any way shape or form. I do not have an active eve account atm but unless I saw the kill mail ingame I would not believe it. Now it is possible the plex was in the ship and dropped as loot in which case that would suck for the person transporting it, however, anyone transporting that much plex in one ship at one time kind of deserves losing it for sheer stupidity.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=776

relevent quote:

If you blow up a ship that happens to be carrying PLEX, it may drop the PLEX as loot or it may be destroyed in the conflagration (much like any other item in a ship's cargo hold). The refund policies for PLEX will not be any different from any other item.

-mklinic

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

I know the world is full of really bizzare and dumb people. Why 74 at one time? Why in a Kessie? Good grief. I don't even know what to think. If they had so much money - a transport ship would have given a little more protection.

Perhaps they just wanted to have a ridiculously epic kill mail of themself? Maybe so they would be the talk of some forum topics? Like: ok losers top that loss! muahaha ha haha *ehem* Bwaahaaa *sniffle* Bwaa bwaaa.... waah *tissue*

Of course maybe it was a (recently) ex-girlfriend who knows this guys one password for everything... Revenge is best served in the cold depth of space.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by parrotpholk

thats a rage quit in the making of epic proportions

• n00n3rn00n3r Member Posts: 45

judging by the killboard the OP linked to, I believe this was a war-time kill and not some suicide gank..

If so, that adds even more to the stupidity of the Kessie pilot.