Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next teased

MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

Edit: More info/videos of the panel at SOE fan faire. 

http://www.massively.com/2010/08/07/fan-faire-2010-john-smedley-and-the-soe-crew-talk-everquest-nex/

Everquest Next was teased at SOE fan faire.  Here is what is claimed to be an in game look.  I have been waiting for more details about the game and more information is expected to come out today and over the weekend.  Truthfully I am very skeptical of the game given SOE's recent history in how they are treating their games and players.  They really haven't done it 'right' since the original EQ.  There is a chance of this game taking a page from the past and recapturing the magic, but knowing SOE's recent past, they likely will not have learned anything from previous lessons.  At this point I'm either going to be very surprised or extremely dissapointed.  What are your thoughts?

Comments

• chaoster89chaoster89 Member Posts: 56

Lets just hope this time they dont try to make a game engine "ahead" of its time and put more time into the combat system and other neglected parts of the game

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Hard to discuss too much based on a preliminary shot like this.

With EQ2 it was really off-putting how much "uncanny valley" the characters in the game suffered from, and the world design was merely good.  Then you got to the weird combat which seemed to lack the strong design of WOW's and I just couldn't get into the game.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by chaoster89

Lets just hope this time they dont try to make a game engine "ahead" of its time and put more time into the combat system and other neglected parts of the game

If that screenshot is a actuall ingame shot I don't think they make a engine "ahead of it's time", but then again far to early to really know what it will be like, but pure going of on the screenshot it seems they seem to go for a "every pc" should handle their new game, perhaps even for console.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

I was dissappointed by the Freeport screenshot.  It looked too colorful and didn't come close to resembling the feeling that the original Freeport gave me when looking at it.  I would prefer EQ2 style Freeport to that image. 

I'm not going to get too dissappointed though because it is only one image.  I just hope those that follow do not share the same "cuteness" as this one.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by Axehilt

With EQ2 it was really off-putting how much "uncanny valley" the characters in the game suffered from, and the world design was merely good.  Then you got to the weird combat which seemed to lack the strong design of WOW's and I just couldn't get into the game.

What???? Are you serious?? I don't play EQ2, but to say that the game lacked anything in terms of graphics design when it launched is crazy, when EQ2 launched, the graphics design were second to NONE. And then to say the combat mechanics of EQ2 are weird? they are the exact same as EVERY other MMO of its time with some ADDITIIONS. And to call WoWs combat design strong.... Are you kidding me?

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

WoW destroyed EQ1 and EQ2.
    My guess is EQ3 will equal WoW in all but name.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

OK, this is blatant jumping to unfounded conclusions, but here goes... those two screenshots make me think "Ever-Free RealmsQuest".

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259

Originally posted by ForceQuit

OK, this is blatant jumping to unfounded conclusions, but here goes... those two screenshots make me think "Ever-Free RealmsQuest".

Bingo. I bet it's gonna be free and casual-friendly.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Originally posted by Quicksand

Originally posted by Axehilt

And then to say the combat mechanics of EQ2 are weird? they are the exact same as EVERY other MMO of its time with some ADDITIIONS.

I'm not a wow fanboy by any means, and I do enjoy EQ2...however to say their combat is a mirror of every other mmo would be a bit off.

Sure there are some similarities, the hot bars with active skills, etc, but the way combat is actually done, the way the character faces the target regardless of camera position and movement is a bit...strange.

The camera setup alone drove me nuts for the first few weeks. It was so strange to be over my toons shoulder, approaching a target, then having my toon facing me at the back of the targets back now.

My aspect didnt change,but my aspect in relation to the characters did. It was extremely disorienting at first from someone used to Asheron's Call / DAOC mechanics.

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

Bleh... EverQuest has always bored me.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by RexNebular

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Bingo. I bet it's gonna be free and casual-friendly.

Well, I would love to be proved wrong, its just the first thought that jumped into my head as I saw those screenshots.  Hopefully when we do get any real info on the game, it will be to our pleasant surprise :)

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

They'd better pull some big rabbit out of their arse because they are in for some serious competition from GW2, TOR, Rift etc

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by uquipu

WoW destroyed EQ1 and EQ2.

My guess is EQ3 will equal WoW in all but name.

Soe hurt EQ1 and EQ2 Blizzard had litte to do with it.EQ1 picked up subs after WoW an EQ2 were both launched because both at that time were buggy as hell. So in self destructive fashion Soe bugged EQ1 later with dx9 poorly implimented upgrade.

An for the record for a "destroyed " game it plays pretty well now. An is due its 17th expansion House of Thule..

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I hope that isn't a real screenshot.  This franchise deserves much better.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

So THATS why EQ II is going free2play, I knew SOE had to have some other money maker in progress to do such a thing. I bet they only did it so people could come in, like EQ II, then ditch it to buy this "new" game when it comes out.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Luxumaru

So THATS why EQ II is going free2play, I knew SOE had to have some other money maker in progress to do such a thing. I bet they only did it so people could come in, like EQ II, then ditch it to buy this "new" game when it comes out.

Its possible that  you are right. I hope EQ Next will be a P2P game and not a FreeRealms model.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

It's just a screenshot. Looks good.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I wonder if I'll ever be able to forgive WoW for turning this into the art direction of the decade.

Nice composition, though.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

I dont understand why people care about the EQ franchise, its just extremly generic fantasy. Why not creat something new with a more unique lore/world.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Philby

Originally posted by Luxumaru

Its possible that  you are right. I hope EQ Next will be a P2P game and not a FreeRealms model.

I agree.

I also bet the whole reason for the absurd $200 a year plan / Sub Fee + Cash Shop thing is to fund this game... I say this "EQ II F2P" thing is a demo / stunt to push "EQ Next" and eventually push EQ II's current subscription player base to buy it.

I myself do play FreeRealms, but wow the model is awful. You basically have to pay a sub fee to be able to use the cash shop...what the hell? There is something about it though, and I can't ditch the game no matter how hard I try. :[

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

EQ1's engine was based off a simple tank game and I still thinks it looks better than EQ2. If they can recapture any of the old magic with this game i'll be first in line. However when you were the number 1 game and you see the easy mode that dethroned you, I think you become affected mentally and you won't be going back to that any time soon heh.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by Papadam

I dont understand why people care about the EQ franchise, its just extremly generic fantasy. Why not creat something new with a more unique lore/world.

Because what many call 'generic fantasy' is something many others contend hasn't been done 'right' yet.

Speaking of art is always so subjective. One person's generic is another's classic, and one person's originality is another's gimmick.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • VidanVidan Member Posts: 45

That's another screenshot they claim is their early in-game rendering. I'm assuming Freeport (I think maybe a panel confirmed that too?). I think it looks fantastic, personally. 

They've already emphatically stated that this will not be FreeRealms 2.0. It's intended for a far more core audience and will be a re-imagining of EQ as a whole. The lead art designer is the same person who worked on EQ1 and FreeRealms so I wouldn't be surprised to see some combination thereof, as the above screenshot kinda depicts. If they can match that level of detail and artistic inspiration I'll be doubly excited.

• MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339

Yes that's supposed to be Freeport.  I edited the original post with more information:

http://www.massively.com/2010/08/07/fan-faire-2010-john-smedley-and-the-soe-crew-talk-everquest-nex/

One thing that I immidiately notice from the concept and in game screens is COLOR.  EQ2 envirments really lacked this.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by Papadam

I, personally, long for a good "generic fantasy" game. We've reached the point where everyone tries to put a twist on it or do something different. One of EQ1/EQ2's big draws for me is and has always been the "generic fantasy" setting. Also, I think that Norrath is fairly unique and in depth. If you follow the quests and stories, there's a lot going on.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.