Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

f2p lotro OR f2p everquest 2? which would you play?

as title states, f2p lotro or f2p everquest 2?

which would you choose? and why?

you cant choose both, you only have 1 choice... ^_^

(and no choosing 1 over the other just because 1 is opening a new server exclusive for f2p players, unlike the other one)

(\__/) Why Can't You Put
( ^.^) The Bunneh
(")-(") Back In The Box?

Comments

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by yokam888

(and no choosing 1 over the other just because 1 is opening a new server exclusive for f2p players, unlike the other one)

Im going to the F2P EQ2. I really like this game, been playing it for loooong time but lately I dont play so much time so a f2p option, for me, is awesome. I already know wich race and class I'm gonna play, will be purchasing it as son as It start and started fresh new in the new servers, it's gonna be a great moment to jump to eq2, I believe grouping is gonna be a blast now for some time in the f2p servers.

Yeah, I'm excited about it.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Ive played Lotoro in the past and playing EQ2 just now on trial. I much prefer EQ2. I find the combat animations better the ui more responsive. Lotro hitches for me while EQ2 runs very well.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

As far as I remember EQ2 have a more harsh death penalty than Lotro, so I think I will choose f2p lotro

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Lotro of course.... the games are uncomparable... Lotro is years ahead...

Anyone who says otherwise obviously hasn't played past lvl20

..Cake..

Originally posted by Nasa

As far as I remember EQ2 have a more harsh death penalty than Lotro, so I think I will choose f2p lotro

The harsh death penalty was removed a lot of time ago, right is almost non existan, a few minutes of weakness or something like that.

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

EQ2 hands down.

The world is just so much better these days with all the expansions and all to what Lotro offers.

Note that I compare Lotro and not the Tolkien lore to EQ2.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Originally posted by sgel

Lotro of course.... the games are uncomparable... Lotro is years ahead...

Anyone who says otherwise obviously hasn't played past lvl20

I played past level 20 and I say otherwise :D.

The games are comparable, each one has its own good and bad things. For example, the scenery design in lotro is awesome, I think is the best I have found in any mmo, but the poligon count on npcs is crappy as hell. In EQ2 the scenery is sometimes almost weird, but the npcs look awesome. I prefer the eq2 housing, even is the lotro one is decent. Bow users in lotro are awesome to play and in EQ2 bow users looks weird.

Edit: But I'm not stupid, both are going to be free to play, I plan on playing both, EQ2 for my healer fix and Lotro for my Hunter fix hunter are a ton of fun in lotro. I did defend EQ2 in my first post only becouse the thread forced us to choose, but it makes no sense not to play both games now that they are going to be free to play, in fact is awesome both of the games I like more going the f2p way... image

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

EQ2 for sure.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

LOL none of these game have harsh death penalties. Try Darkfall or EvE for harsh, Im sure theres a few others as well.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Tough one...

EQ2 is from SOE and they don't give a f*ck about your privacy. No-go for me there...

LotRp is mostly single-player MMO... That's the reason I passed on my account to someone else...

If I really MUST make a choice, I'd go for LotRo, though EQ2 has more and better content. Only reason to pick LotRo is to see how it'll looks in DX11 ;-)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by Nasa

WoW has a harsher death penalty than EQ2.
    In EQ2, dying is a poor man's evac. Just take off your armor before you die, there is a mod that will do this automatically.
    But yeah, I think I will play EQ2 over LotRO. EQ2, from what I understand will have most of the content open for you to explore.
    With LotRO you can only get to Bree for free, to open up the rest of the game, you'll have to buy it with Turbine Points, for real life cash, or points earned via grinding.
    Both are cut down versions of the game, but I think EQ2 is the better deal right now.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Originally posted by yokam888

Neither... hows that work for ya?

:)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I'm an EQ2 subscriber....I love the game.  HOWEVER....if I had to choose a free 2 play....I would absolutely NOT go with EQ2X.  There are FAR too many restrictions. 4 races?  I think maybe only 6 classes? The free version only allows you to earn 5g per level?  You get ONE bag for your inventory, iirc....???  I mean, seriously?  The restrictions make EQ2X almost useless except for getting a GLIMMER of an idea of what it might be like to play the REAL EQ2.  Then if you do decide you like it....you have to buy the real game and start completely over on the live servers, because your dinky crappy f2p character doesn't transfer.  Oh...and the item shop is loaded with stats (pay to win) items and they're stupidly expensive.  Just no.

LotRO's free to play looks a LOT better, in my opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

LotRO f2p area = Breeland, Ered Luin, The Shire (essentially levels 1-20)

EQII f2p area = All of the content up to The Shadow Odyssey expansion (levels 1-70)

Figure out which one offers the best deal for your f2p dollar?

Originally posted by Shoju

EQII f2p area = All of the content up to The Shadow Odyssey expansion (levels 1-70)

Well I agree with THAT much of the assessment in the favor of EQ2X, but you need to remember that you're going to be playing all of that content in nothing over treasured gear and nothing more than adept spells.  There is a point (not TOO terribly far in) where that is going to SUCK SUCK SUCK unless you want to spend money in the marketplace.  THEN you have to keep in mind that nothing you buy on the EQ2X server will go with you if you should ever decide you want to play the ACTUAL game on the live servers.

And if your'e a crafter and enjoy crafting....you'll never sell anything on the EQ2X servers because there is such a ridiculously low limit on GOLD that you're "allowed" to have on your account.  You also won't be able to BUY much with your gold.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by just1opinion

I'm an EQ2 subscriber....I love the game.  HOWEVER....if I had to choose a free 2 play....I would absolutely NOT go with EQ2X.  There are FAR too many restrictions. 4 races?  I think maybe only 6 classes? The free version only allows you to earn 5g per level?  You get ONE bag for your inventory, iirc....???  I mean, seriously?  The restrictions make EQ2X almost useless except for getting a GLIMMER of an idea of what it might be like to play the REAL EQ2.  Then if you do decide you like it....you have to buy the real game and start completely over on the live servers, because your dinky crappy f2p character doesn't transfer.  Oh...and the item shop is loaded with stats (pay to win) items and they're stupidly expensive.  Just no.

There are way more restrictions on the LotRO f2p model before you have to start paying extra for content.  EQII give a money cap of 5g per level, where LotRO is capping your limit to two gold.  Total.  Not a copper more unless you pay extra.  LotRO may be offering a level cap of 50 for free players, but if you want to progress past the low-mid 20's you have to purchase the content for moving beyond the Breeland area.

Here are the two offers so you can comapre them;

EQII: http://everquest2.com/_themes/default/images/extended/membershipMatrix.jpg

LotRO: http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww198/Khalus_Akuhei/Various%20Stuff/LOTRO-F2P.jpg

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

F2P EQ2, because I've never given it a try before but always wanted to.  LotRO is a devil I am already well familiar with.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by just1opinion

There are way more restrictions on the LotRO f2p model before you have to start paying extra for content.  EQII give a money cap of 5g per level, where LotRO is capping your limit to two gold.  Total.  Not a copper more unless you pay extra.  LotRO may be offering a level cap of 50 for free players, but if you want to progress past the low-mid 20's you have to purchase the content for moving beyond the Breeland area.

Here are the two offers so you can comapre them;

EQII: http://everquest2.com/_themes/default/images/extended/membershipMatrix.jpg

LotRO: http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww198/Khalus_Akuhei/Various%20Stuff/LOTRO-F2P.jpg

Ahh gotcha.  Okay. :)

• halteahaltea Member UncommonPosts: 95

EQ2, no doubts about it

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Based on the games I could go either way. . based on the F2P model LOTRO hands down.

Here is why. . .EQ2 limits equipement and spells. . LOTRO does not.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Yeah. . sure and you have to sub to equip that awesome loot. . or say .. . cast a spell at those high levels.  If you want free to play and don't mind being the paper bag princess in the group it is fine I guess.    I just stated the two things that bother me most above  that seriously would keep me away. . and then you sub to equip that item and you can never go back to F2P if you want to keep those items on or cast those spells.     In the words of AA. . "Its a TRAP!"

If I want to be a decent mage I have to sub. . if I want to equip great great I have to sub. 

To me EQ2 looks more like a pay to win scenario. . even if LOTRO might cost a bit more. .it is adding things at my pace. . when I want.   In EQ2 the big spenders get levle 90?  even subs get 80. . and subs still have to buy the extras?  It would cost more to have an equal experience subbed to EQ2X than it would just doing it on EQ2. 

I would rather pay as I go for content then have to keep up a sub to just wear gear etc.  Lets say I buy some of that content. . I pay once.  then I have access to the same equipment and spells as everyone else.  In EQ2 you are going to end up quitting or subbing.  I get that is what they want. . . I just think in LOTRO I can actually pay here and there and keep enjoying the game and being competative.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well the way SOE implemented f2p it makes it a brain dead decision.  People are going to play Lotro.  SOE's version of f2p is a just absurd.  I feel sorry for any idiot that gets sucked into the SOE morass.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

EQ2 because it has PvP (yes I know it's a PvE game).  Can anybody tell me if there are active BGs at 70 and below?