Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic = WOW with Lightsabers

123457»

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Faelsun

Originally posted by maskedweasel

The other funny part is that you think MMOs take skill?  Thats funny,  no MMOs actually take skill, not true MMOs.  True MMOs all auto target,  and all you have to do is press buttons in the right order, anyone with a few hours of experience and common sense can figure out what order to press a button in,  and thats the way its been even before WoW.  You want a skill based game, go play a FPS, or a hybrid model MMO like Fallen Earth or Global Agenda.

You're a prime example by those few statements of the type of poor player the WOW generation has produced, and the lowbrow gameplay you insist on. 

You might as well be playing Farmville with Swords, actually EA owns farmville, really says alot.

Thats great because I only played WoW for a few weeks on a trial, and never subscribed to it.   If the WoW generation produced me,  then they failed terribly.  The truth of the matter is,  the gaming generation produced me,  I've been playing games before graphical network multiplayer was even a blip on the radar.  

I know what makes a game different, and perhaps I should rephrase the above with "Most True MMORPGs Auto Target"  as that may be more relevant,  as I don't want to ostracize games like FE by saying its just the MMO genre.    If you want to cherry pick my statements to try and prove your point, go right ahead,  but its clear that you can't stand on the facts and instead result in skirting the subject -- the subject simply being that you have no idea what features SWTOR actually has, nor can you deny the stark differences between these games.  If its easier to try and dismiss me as a gamer, you're welcome to try.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

The other funny part is that you think MMOs take skill?  Thats funny,  no MMOs actually take skill, not true MMOs.  True MMOs all auto target,  and all you have to do is press buttons in the right order, anyone with a few hours of experience and common sense can figure out what order to press a button in,  and thats the way its been even before WoW.  You want a skill based game, go play a FPS, or a hybrid model MMO like Fallen Earth or Global Agenda.

You're a prime example by those few statements of the type of poor player the WOW generation has produced, and the lowbrow gameplay you insist on. 

You might as well be playing Farmville with Swords, actually EA owns farmville, really says alot.

Thats great because I only played WoW for a few weeks on a trial, and never subscribed to it.   If the WoW generation produced me,  then they failed terribly.  The truth of the matter is,  the gaming generation produced me,  I've been playing games before graphical network multiplayer was even a blip on the radar.  

I know what makes a game different, and perhaps I should rephrase the above with "Most True MMORPGs Auto Target"  as that may be more relevant,  as I don't want to ostracize games like FE by saying its just the MMO genre.    If you want to cherry pick my statements to try and prove your point, go right ahead,  but its clear that you can't stand on the facts and instead result in skirting the subject -- the subject simply being that you have no idea what features SWTOR actually has, nor can you deny the stark differences between these games.  If its easier to try and dismiss me as a gamer, you're welcome to try.

I understand from your very statement you don't want any skill involved at all. Sadly NO SKILL is not only a fact of the WOW player base and BTW no way do I believe you don't play WOW, no one with your EZ mode outlook on mmorpgs doesn't play wow, thats a simple fact. But you in fact Cheer the idea of an mmorpg with no skill, so in effect you want to remove the Game from the mmorp-G- and have an mmorp.. chat room. Well Thats your choice then fine. But lets get down to it, you want to point out the facts fine, lets do facts, WOW clones fail miserably, actually thats too kind, WOW clones, and Every one of them has been a market failure, now if Conan the Barbarian, Lord of The Rings, and Warhammer all FAILED in EPIC ways when they copied wow, what in your mind will make Star Wars any different.

And as for the other poster who said for me to get with the program and that the WOW clone side of things are Winning, then explain how that works since every WOW clone has been a disaster, and please don't come at me with that tired old excuse that they were all just badly made, which is of course not true, they may have had bad opening days, or opening weeks or a month but so did WOW, WOW had a horrible first few months. Explain to me how TOR has the lucky number when it comes to WOW cloning. And since so many Mythic people are in key positions since they merged with Bioware to oversee the game, if they have not improved Warhammer to date to be a 10 million subscriber base game, how are they going to do anything different on TOR? so Far the Fraternity is getting it's butt kicked. 

I understand from your very statement you don't want any skill involved at all. Sadly NO SKILL is not only a fact of the WOW player base and BTW no way do I believe you don't play WOW, no one with your EZ mode outlook on mmorpgs doesn't play wow, thats a simple fact. But you in fact Cheer the idea of an mmorpg with no skill, so in effect you want to remove the Game from the mmorp-G- and have an mmorp.. chat room. Well Thats your choice then fine. But lets get down to it, you want to point out the facts fine, lets do facts, WOW clones fail miserably, actually thats too kind, WOW clones, and Every one of them has been a market failure, now if Conan the Barbarian, Lord of The Rings, and Warhammer all FAILED in EPIC ways when they copied wow, what in your mind will make Star Wars any different.

And as for the other poster who said for me to get with the program and that the WOW clone side of things are Winning, then explain how that works since every WOW clone has been a disaster, and please don't come at me with that tired old excuse that they were all just badly made, which is of course not true, they may have had bad opening days, or opening weeks or a month but so did WOW, WOW had a horrible first few months. Explain to me how TOR has the lucky number when it comes to WOW cloning. And since so many Mythic people are in key positions since they merged with Bioware to oversee the game, if they have not improved Warhammer to date to be a 10 million subscriber base game, how are they going to do anything different on TOR? so Far the Fraternity is getting it's butt kicked. 

Again, you know nothing about me,  I am an Ex SWG Pre NGE player,  I highly favor games like Fallen Earth, and my latest review was on Global Agenda.  I've played most triple A titles,  I've played sandbox style games like Darkfall and Shadowbane.  I've played dragons lair on the commodore 64,  my family owned an atari and just about every video game system since that. To this very day I own all three console systems and my wife owns her own Xbox 360.  In 1995 I was the regional winner of the blockbuster video game championship in my area for the super nintendo,  I lost the state championship to an 18 year old playing NBA Jam.  I was 12.  I've had a vast video game life and I don't, under any circumstance, feel the need for blind hatred towards anything, much less a video game -- especially to the point of making ridiculous accusations to prove an even more ridiculous point - on something that hasn't even been released yet.

Try putting some truth behind your words instead of misdirection, these games have more detailed differences then they have obtuse similarities.  You can either accept that, or continue to make foolish remarks that have no bearing on reality.

Try putting some truth behind your words instead of misdirection, these games have more detailed differences then they have obtuse similarities.  You can either accept that, or continue to make foolish remarks that have no bearing on reality.

No, Sorry but Warhammer, LOTR, and Age of Conan are all WOW clones, if you believe they are in any meaningful way different than you're totally enslaved to the WOW paradigm. Thats a simple fact. 

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

Now I'm for certain...  Trolololol!

No, Sorry but Warhammer, LOTR, and Age of Conan are all WOW clones, if you believe they are in any meaningful way different than you're totally enslaved to the WOW paradigm. Thats a simple fact. 

Again, misdirection,  we aren't talking about WAR, LOTRO or AoC.  This thread is about SWTOR.   WAR and LOTRO have more similarities to WoW then AoC does,  but thats, again, not what this thread is about.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Age of Conan a WoW clone?

Sir, I think you just lost all credibility in that statement.  I cannot even bring myself to go back and try to determine where in your quote war you came to that conclusion.

I am not a fan of either game and I can tell you they are substantially different.  AoC is closer to CO and COX than it is WoW.  Now tell me that CoX is a  WoW clone.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

Again, misdirection,  we aren't talking about WAR, LOTRO or AoC.  This thread is about SWTOR.   WAR and LOTRO have more similarities to WoW then AoC does,  but thats, again, not what this thread is about.

I know full well what the thread is about, I will remark on my own thread at my own discretion thank you. 

It's about TOR being  a WOW clone and thats why I bring up WAR, LOTR, and AOC, what you're avoiding and have yet to remark on is the fact that they like TOR are WOW clones, and that every WOW clone has failed. If those expensive IPs didn't have what it took to make a WOW clone work, then what do you thing TORs chances are? If anything from the Dev releases and videos it's going to be even easier than wow while copying the basic framework.

And I'm not the one misdirecting by talking about how great I am and legend of Zelda. Also if the game were not going to be a WOW clone just like WAR, or LOTR then I wouldn't bring it up. But unfortunately it will be, so it's a perfectly relevant comparison, no matter how much you don't like it.

I know full well what the thread is about, I will remark on my own thread at my own discretion thank you. 

It's about TOR being  a WOW clone and thats why I bring up WAR, LOTR, and AOC, what you're avoiding and have yet to remark on is the fact that they like TOR are WOW clones, and that every WOW clone has failed. If those expensive IPs didn't have what it took to make a WOW clone work, then what do you thing TORs chances are? If anything from the Dev releases and videos it's going to be even easier than wow while copying the basic framework.

And I'm not the one misdirecting by talking about how great I am and legend of Zelda. Also if the game were not going to be a WOW clone just like WAR, or LOTR then I wouldn't bring it up. But unfortunately it will be, so it's a perfectly relevant comparison, no matter how much you don't like it.

This is now a joke,  you've just turned everything you've been writing into one big joke post.  My first post was strictly the differences between all the basic features of TOR and how they differ from WoW and you completely ignored it.  No reason to keep trash like this from being bumped,  this guy has no clue.

Originally posted by NovaKayne

Age of Conan a WoW clone?

Sir, I think you just lost all credibility in that statement.  I cannot even bring myself to go back and try to determine where in your quote war you came to that conclusion.

I am not a fan of either game and I can tell you they are substantially different.  AoC is closer to CO and COX than it is WoW.  Now tell me that CoX is a  WoW clone.

AOC feats: 

http://conanvault.ign.com/featcalculator/

WOW talents:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#f

Difference, none.

COX and CO have skill lists, your comparison is garbage.

This is now a joke,  you've just turned everything you've been writing into one big joke post.  My first post was strictly the differences between all the basic features of TOR and how they differ from WoW and you completely ignored it.  No reason to keep trash like this from being bumped,  this guy has no clue.

No the joke is that you think Flashpoints and a Cover system make the game not a wow clone. Its just going to be a WOW clone with a cover system.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Someone saying that AoC is a WoW clone is either stupid or wilfully ignorant, or both.

You might as well say that EQ and DAoC are WoW clones, they're more so than AoC - yes, I know those 2 came before WoW, but people tagging all kinds of MMO's post-WoW a 'WoW clone' don't know much about MMO genre in general anyway or they're purposely trolling.

Why not just be honest and say 'I fucking hate and dislike what I know so far of the game and i hope it fails' and be done with it instead of trying to hide their dislike behind yelling 'WoW clone!'; because that's what 'WoW clone' shouters really think, and it would be more honest.

People like that don't want to give SW:TOR a chance or a better look anyway, they've already decided to condemn the game, and nothing can change their mind no matter what other news will be revealed about it. Shouting 'WoW clone' is nothing but camouflage.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

"I don't like this game because I think it's taking public interest away from the game I am looking forward to, so I am going to make up a bunch of lame reasons why everyone should avoid this game in hopes that they'll choose to play my game instead."

How many threads can people make with this same basic line of thought? Hundreds apparently. Whether you are looking forward to DCUO, SW:TOR, GW2, FFXIV, Tera or whatever it's going to take more than some troll with a bucket of bad spin to change your mind about it, so why do these people continue to waste time and effort?

WoW clone... When I hear WoW clone I think two things;

a. This person hasn't played anything pre-WoW and doesn't know what they are talking about.    

or

b. This person is refering to how WoW took the elements of earlier games and made them more accessible to casual players.

Either way the term 'WoW clone' doesn't reflect badly on the game it's refering to it simply tells me that the person writing the post is either very young, or a big bad hardcore sandbox player with more time than brain cells who likes spending hours staring at their character's backside as they harvest resources so they can grind out a couple more crafting levels.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll gladly play the 'WoW clone'. I like a little game with my spreadsheet.

• prfellaprfella Member UncommonPosts: 47

http://www.massively.com/2010/06/15/massivelys-exclusive-swtor-interview-starships-pvp-and-craft/

From the interview the only things the Devs seem exited about are how much work they have put into copying WOW systems, like the PUG system, Raiding, Gear/Loot progression. But everything Star Wars fans care about, and not raid looters from guilds like Ensidia are either an afterthought or thrown out the window completely. 

Like the WOW clone crafting system (worst  crafting system EVER).

Space ships apparently will be Instanced..... I have a feeling you can say NO to space battles, they will be more like mini games in Facebook.... maybe you can cook while you're in there.

And given the attitude on the official forums , which are almost dead now BTW, most of the Star Wars fan base has given up hope on this thing. 

On top of what looks like a horribly bad PVP system, which caters to an autotarget anti ganking style of play, won't win much clout with heavy PVP guilds. I doubt the Goons or any other large PVP guild will put any kind of large investment into this game.Thats the same kind of bad development that killed Everquest. I dont know if anyone has noticed but WOW clones have bitten the dust hard the last few years, no reason to think this wow clone is special. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOEg-CuoRU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTdaQbkE-0&feature=related

I mean honestly the combat looks the same or worse than Everquest, two guys standing right in front of each other hoping Your autotargeted attack kills him before you die. The way they explain ranged targeting you pretty well dont have to aim, its more like firing a smart missile.. and I am sure it's the same for melee. Which means on top of loot progression which the game will be built around, the bad dynamics of PVP in the game mean that its going to be a slog fest between GEAR. Which means the PVP skill level of this game is going to be Garbage.

Also PVP will more than likely from what they said and what you see, be confined to Warzones, so basically they have Made WOW  WOTLK in space with Age of Shadows Rules.

Great............

Im sure you havent done this based on your post, but if you did some research you would find that Bioware themselves have stated over and over again that they are not trying to do anything innovative with this game, they are just trying to make a FUN game, which means using things that have been proven to work.

In addition to this, in countless interviews when explaining their features they ALWAYS compare them to WOW features ( this will be like WOW, this feature will be like it is in WOW,etc, etc...) 

They have also stated things like they are not trying to overhype the game and then making it a huge dissappointment to fans, as well as they are not trying to compete with WOW, and that they are not trying to achieve WOW subscription numbers.

With that in mind, it would be foolish for anyone to expect anything more than what they have already stated that it will be. Doing so will only be letting yourself down.

Because of this though, one must consider this: just because it isnt innovative doesnt mean its bad. Case in point: many MMO's have tried to be "innovative" and have fallen HARD on their faces trying to be something they are not (something Bioware is trying to avoid),  as well as games that havent tried to be innovative are insanely popular ( World of Warcraft, anyone?)

No the joke is that you think Flashpoints and a Cover system make the game not a wow clone. Its just going to be a WOW clone with a cover system.

Again, you only take two pieces of my post, and don't say how the flashpoints or cover system are the same.  Try explaining yourself and you might start making some sense.  How are flashpoints, where you zone into an instance, have spoken -- fully voiced --  dialogue, make choices on the mission ahead, receive lightside and darkside points, and then get thrown back out into an open world exactly like WoW,  explain this to me, lets start slow.  You tell me how that is just like WoW and we'll move on from there, hmm?

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

When is a clone not a clone?  When it has noticable differences to its so-called "duplicates". 

The mere fact that AOC, LOTRO and many others have differences to WoW means that by very definition, they are not in fact clones.  No matter how much one tries to distill the design, there ARE differences.  Ergo, they aren't clones.  Similar?  Perhaps.  Clones?  No.

For instance:

1. Does WoW use a combo system in combat?  Nope. 

2. Do WoW casters use spell weaving?  Nope. 

Therefore, is AOC a WoW clone?  Absolutely not. 

Now, does AOC have quests?  Yes.  Does AOC have a level based progression system.  Yes.

Does this therefore imply that AOC is in fact a WoW Clone?  Nope. 

Again, you only take two pieces of my post, and don't say how the flashpoints or cover system are the same.  Try explaining yourself and you might start making some sense.  How are flashpoints, where you zone into an instance, have spoken -- fully voiced --  dialogue, make choices on the mission ahead, receive lightside and darkside points, and then get thrown back out into an open world exactly like WoW,  explain this to me, lets start slow.  You tell me how that is just like WoW and we'll move on from there, hmm?

You obviously believe that FLUFF is some kind of meaningful game changing experience. 

Its just Fluff, everything you stated is just fluff. Just because one game has a riding elephant and the other game has a fluffy pink riding elephant, doesn't make it meaningful, one of them is just pink and slightly gay.

You obviously believe that FLUFF is some kind of meaningful game changing experience. 

Its just Fluff, everything you stated is just fluff. Just because one game has a riding elephant and the other game has a fluffy pink riding elephant, doesn't make it meaningful, one of them is just pink and slightly gay.

Obviously you don't understand the change of an entire mechanic and progression tool.  EXPLAIN to me how that is EXACTLY THE SAME.  Explain it!  Just explain it.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Obviously you don't understand the change of an entire mechanic and progression tool.  EXPLAIN to me how that is EXACTLY THE SAME.  Explain it!  Just explain it.

He is winning deep down if you keep responding to what he says.  He knows they aren't clones, he is just trying to incite people.

• alextodoalextodo Member UncommonPosts: 236

I`ll just mention the most basic thing ...

WoW = Fantasy

TOR = Sci-Fi

No Orcs , no Elves ... just FREAKIN LAZERS FLYING EVERYWHERE.

Nuff said.

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68
    This game will be like wow. I don't mean "World of Warcraft", I mean "like... wow! Impressive"
    See what I did there!? I'm awesome. I have great abilities and talents and... Wait a minute... Oh noes!! Am I a WoW Clone too!?

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.

Originally posted by Swanea

He is winning deep down if you keep responding to what he says.  He knows they aren't clones, he is just trying to incite people.

I know you're right Swanea,  but personally I just want to know if WoW-Clone-itus is a real mental condition or if this is truly a giant hoax. image

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by KaoRyx

This game will be like wow. I don't mean "World of Warcraft", I mean "like... wow! Impressive" See what I did there!? I'm awesome. I have great abilities and talents and... Wait a minute... Oh noes!! Am I a WoW Clone too!?

Yes. Because you ride pink fluffy elephants.  Because it's fluff!

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Based on your last couple of posts I guess you would think that any game that can use WASD to move is a WOW clone too. Personally speaking, while some games use common CRPG mechanics, I don't even agree that LOTRO, WAR, and especially AOC are WOW clones.

You may not be familiar with Games Workshop but Warhammer has been around much longer than the Warcraft universe and in fact, the WOW univserse took many things from Warhammer.

WOW did not create or originate most of the mechanics in the game. WOW is a CRPG, EQ1, M59 clone in that case. What blizzard did was refine and present common mechanics well in the game and for the most part that is all. Heck, the most original thing that WOW has got going for it has not happened yet. WOW will be the first MMO I can recall to wreck thier world and create a new one.

This discussion has been closed.