Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A feq questions for someone thinking of trying FE out again

Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

Hi there, I have a few questions about the current state of the game.  I am considering re-subbing to FE and was wondering from some experienced players what has changed and if this game would suit my personal situation and tastes.

Background:  I subbed for 1 month + free time preorder.  I unsubbed after the initial playtime due to me spending sooooo much time in my primary MMO, but also because the combat system seemed rudimentary.  I loved the crafting system (best in any MMO i ever played) but combining the overly simplistic combat system + this is my secondary MMO didn't make the subscription worth it anymore.  I got to level 18 or 19, never leaving Sector 1.  I do not engage in PvP activities, but I am curious about it.

1) I am currently an avid follower of another MMO.  FE would not be my primary MMO, therefore this would be a casual game I would play (meaning 10 hours a week, give or take).  Some MMO's are casual friendly, some are not.  What is everyone's opinion about that casual friendliness this game has right now?

2) In combat, I was a crossbow, then rifleman.  While sniping was cool, most of the combat seemed to revolve around an enemy rushing up to me at super super close range, then lightly strafing back and forth in a very predictable manner, firing off attacks in a very predictable manner.  At least that's what my experience was back then.  Has this improved at all?  Is the PvE combat any more dynamic or unpredictable then "rush to smoochie range and barely move left and right the whole time" style of combat?

3) The crafting system is the best mechanic in any MMO I have ever played.  Has the crafting system changed much, where a player who subbed during the first month would find a major change?  Are mats for crafting easyhardother to findsalvageuy?  Any changes to the off-line crafting queue?  Has inventory space been increased or decreased at all for storing all those mats?

4) As I said before, I never got out of Sector 1.  Therefore my opinions on later combat are completely irrelevant, however I still have them.  Those opinions are: the mutation skills are almost useless.  I realize this may not be a valid opinion because of I only reached level 19 (or so) in Sector 1.  Are mutation skills better utilized in Sector 1?  Do they ever become a critical part of combat or are they a "sidekick" to combat?  I view them as a sidekick, never really needing them to survive.  Again, if this is naive, please let me know as I haven't gotten out of S1 long ago.

5) Do picking factions mean anything more then just how your character can be developed?  Is there factional warfare (pve or pvp based)?  I never felt like choosing a faction meant much of anything other than some minor differences on how your character advanced.  Again, if this is an invalid perspective, please tell me.

6) Is there any end-game at all? My primary MMO is very end-game centric (no, it is not WoW, I am actually a WoW virgin and proud of it!)  I really like the team work needed for end-game raids.  What kind of end-game does FE have?  Is there even an end-game at all seeing how *I think* they are still planning future sector playfield releases?  Any sort of information on what one does when they reach end-game would be appreciative.  BTW, I love exploring randomly.  In my own opinion, end-game does NOT need to be raid raid raid.  I enjoy raiding, but end game should not be contained to raids only.

7) What advantages and disadvantages are there for playing solo vs being part of a clan?  I played solo the entire time.  I never felt like I would gain anything by joining a clan.  I was not opposed to joining a clan, I just never did cause I didn't think there would be that much point to it outside of the socialization aspect (which is important in an MMO).  Would you be so kind as to briefly state the what clan-ship has to offer in this specific MMO?

Thanks for everyone's time!

Edit:  I tried to spell check my thread good, but never bothered to spell check the title.  SORRY!  hehe :-)

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

Comments

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

log on the fallen earth website, there is a 15 day free activation thingy  on your account page.  i did it too couple of days ago

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

I probably will try the 14 day trial as you suggested to check it out for myself.  I'm just not sure I can experience everything I want to experience in that time frame that will assist me in my inquiries, so any other information that people can offer would be much appreciated.

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

I would appriciate having this feedback for myself; if anyone will assist Skatty with answers to his inquiries.

By the way Skatty, your post is thaught out quite well, seemed to cover all the bases.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Skatty2007

Hi there, I have a few questions about the current state of the game.  I am considering re-subbing to FE and was wondering from some experienced players what has changed and if this game would suit my personal situation and tastes.

Background:  I subbed for 1 month + free time preorder.  I unsubbed after the initial playtime due to me spending sooooo much time in my primary MMO, but also because the combat system seemed rudimentary.  I loved the crafting system (best in any MMO i ever played) but combining the overly simplistic combat system + this is my secondary MMO didn't make the subscription worth it anymore.  I got to level 18 or 19, never leaving Sector 1.  I do not engage in PvP activities, but I am curious about it.

1) I am currently an avid follower of another MMO.  FE would not be my primary MMO, therefore this would be a casual game I would play (meaning 10 hours a week, give or take).  Some MMO's are casual friendly, some are not.  What is everyone's opinion about that casual friendliness this game has right now?

2) In combat, I was a crossbow, then rifleman.  While sniping was cool, most of the combat seemed to revolve around an enemy rushing up to me at super super close range, then lightly strafing back and forth in a very predictable manner, firing off attacks in a very predictable manner.  At least that's what my experience was back then.  Has this improved at all?  Is the PvE combat any more dynamic or unpredictable then "rush to smoochie range and barely move left and right the whole time" style of combat?

3) The crafting system is the best mechanic in any MMO I have ever played.  Has the crafting system changed much, where a player who subbed during the first month would find a major change?  Are mats for crafting easyhardother to findsalvageuy?  Any changes to the off-line crafting queue?  Has inventory space been increased or decreased at all for storing all those mats?

4) As I said before, I never got out of Sector 1.  Therefore my opinions on later combat are completely irrelevant, however I still have them.  Those opinions are: the mutation skills are almost useless.  I realize this may not be a valid opinion because of I only reached level 19 (or so) in Sector 1.  Are mutation skills better utilized in Sector 1?  Do they ever become a critical part of combat or are they a "sidekick" to combat?  I view them as a sidekick, never really needing them to survive.  Again, if this is naive, please let me know as I haven't gotten out of S1 long ago.

5) Do picking factions mean anything more then just how your character can be developed?  Is there factional warfare (pve or pvp based)?  I never felt like choosing a faction meant much of anything other than some minor differences on how your character advanced.  Again, if this is an invalid perspective, please tell me.

6) Is there any end-game at all? My primary MMO is very end-game centric (no, it is not WoW, I am actually a WoW virgin and proud of it!)  I really like the team work needed for end-game raids.  What kind of end-game does FE have?  Is there even an end-game at all seeing how *I think* they are still planning future sector playfield releases?  Any sort of information on what one does when they reach end-game would be appreciative.  BTW, I love exploring randomly.  In my own opinion, end-game does NOT need to be raid raid raid.  I enjoy raiding, but end game should not be contained to raids only.

7) What advantages and disadvantages are there for playing solo vs being part of a clan?  I played solo the entire time.  I never felt like I would gain anything by joining a clan.  I was not opposed to joining a clan, I just never did cause I didn't think there would be that much point to it outside of the socialization aspect (which is important in an MMO).  Would you be so kind as to briefly state the what clan-ship has to offer in this specific MMO?

Edit:  I tried to spell check my thread good, but never bothered to spell check the title.  SORRY!  hehe :-)

1), It's one of the most casual games out there. It's not gear centric, it doesn't require you to have all the APs in the game - (more APs improve your flexibility, not your combat power). It can be played solo mostly, so you can set up your own playtime.

2) 3) Nochange

4) Mutations were in fact overpowered, and were nerfed twice already since release. Mutations are still widely used in all builds. They provide valuable buffs, strong healings, and solid DoT damage. 1. In the end, mutations are definetly important, but you do not need to spend APs on them, and basically use mutations solely for the rank 1/2 buffs.

5) This is invalid perspective.

Factions does give you capstone skills if your character meets the requirements, factions give you faction specific skills, and gear + crafting recipes. Factions does matter for controlling PvP areas. Players of the same faction accumulate faction points within that zone by doing missions inside them, and if that number exceeds some value -> the whole PvP zone gets controlled by that faction. - Which in turn, gives all members of that faction access to new merchants, additional missions (sometimes even AP missions) etc.

6) End-game is consisted of getting all the AP missions you can - by doing group missions you skipped, PvP faction areas, etc. By doing the crafting, and scavanging. By doing PvP - either in Blood sports, or in contested areas. Also you will definetly spend a lot of time at the cap-level to actually learn alll the skills you can. Recently the cap was raised to level 50, added a whole new sector. That's the end-game. Don't expect rerunning the same raid instance to obtain some better piece of gear, because it's just not there. There is no raiding.

7) No idea what you meant by this question. There are lots of group missions for precious AP. Of course, you might try to pug them, and play the whole game alone. It's really up to you.

REALITY CHECK

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by Skatty2007

Well, I play it pretty casually, the odd 5 hour playsession at weekends, but with work I no longer have time for more than a few hours during the week. It works fine. Which is weird, because it worked great when I was out of work and had huge playsessions every day too. 

In sector 2 and above you'll meet more humanoid mobs that use rifles, pistols, shotguns (etc.) and this does change up the dynamic somewhat. They don't run up to you, and their hits make your reticle jump, giving combat a different feel.

Space for mats is 4 x 64 slot vaults (sector, barter, VIP and Utility (in Los Alamos), plus your parked vehicles / mounts, plus your pack (and plus clan vaults, if you're in a clan). The utility vault is new, the rest are old. Mats are always easily found, though there are some that are tricky at points. Most can be found on the AH. Major changes...hmmm, they took coloured dyes out of armorcraft recipes the other day, and you can now craft paint kits for your vehicles - that's about it. No changes to offline crafting.

Mutations matter. Sure you can have a character with none, but as the game progresses, and particularly if you're interested in PVP, you'll need 'em. I only have 2 and a half lines maxed on my crafter main, but they really really help. (Nano, Thermal and Supression, in case you're wondering). There are many missions in S2 and above where not having mutations means dying. In S3 there are several missions that involve taking out multiple veterans, and these are not doable solo at ALL without mutations. 

The differences are not minor, may seem that way now, but mutations are (as said above) an important part of any build. who you side with affects mutations, weapon skills etc. etc. They don;t mean that much apart from that at the moment, but that is due to change (with a bang, allegedly) in the next 6 months. Faction doesn't matter enough at the moment, they're going to fix that.

End game, no raiding in the traditionsal sense, though there are a few level 50 missions that you need a group for. When I say "not in the traditional sense", I mean there's no holy trinity, no epic loot drops. Endgame in FE is mostly PvP and finishing off all your crafting knowledges while waiting for the next county to be patched in.

Clans give camaraderie, advice, events and extra storage space. Advice is most useful in build-planning, levelling etc. Events are invaluable, they are in their own way a sort of end-game content (Clan Wars for example). Storage space is nice too, but if you're into crafting clans are invaluable - there will always be someone who has something you need for a recipe and can't source yet, and if my clan is in anyway typical, they'll help you out with it. Clans also often hand down armour and weapons, which is nice, and if you're in a clan there'll always be someone to help out on tougher missions. And there are tougher missions (New Flagstaff University, Sunset Hill in Sector 2 alone....).

• fizzlealotfizzlealot Member Posts: 14

Damn, what a good explanation.

You got me to resub Hopscotch! :)

Retired from UO, AC, DAoC, SWG, EVE, EQ2, Lineage 2, WAR, AoC, CoV/CoH, WoW, Champions Online...
    On a break from : Darkfall
    Currently playing : Fallen Earth

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by fizzlealot

Damn, what a good explanation.

You got me to resub Hopscotch! :)

Aw shucks image

Welcome back to the Wastes!