Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TORCHLIGHT II ANOUNCED

YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Official site: http://www.torchlight2game.com/

- Co-op
- Customization
- Bigger game world.

This is step 2. Step 3 will be Torchmmo,

Color me excited.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
# A MASKED CRY ADORING
# A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Comments

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226

ive never played the first one. enlighten me on it :)

• popcorn2199popcorn2199 Member Posts: 52

I'm surprised they launched a second game. Torchlight must have sold more copies than I thought. Anyone know how many copies it sold?

-popcorn2199

• a7folda7fold Member UncommonPosts: 59

Originally posted by popcorn2199

I'm surprised they launched a second game. Torchlight must have sold more copies than I thought. Anyone know how many copies it sold?

According to this website http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28584/Runic_Games_Torchlight_Sells_500000.php the games has at least sold 500,000 units and that was even before getting into the Mac scene. Also I am thinking from reading this article these sales are from Steam alone . Granted I can almost gurantee that probably about 90% who bought this game did actually buy it through steam, but thats just a guess, that still leaves 10% of more sales for a single-player only game. Also since Perfect World Entertainment picked them up as publishers they have a pretty good backing. I don't think money will be an issue with Torchlight 2.

I mean look at what they did with Torchlight 1 and I can almost gurantee you they started with way less money on that project. Most of the guys who did Torchlight came from Flagship Studios and if you know anything about them you know how that went so they could'nt have gotten much money from there.

I have high hopes for this game. Honestly I would have just been happy if they would have taken the same game and slapped a Multiplayer mod onto it. But this is even better! Or so I hope.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Dudek28

play it! it is only £15..if you like diablo style games then you will love this

i can't wait for number 2!

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

It feels like a more whimsical version of Diablo.

I just bought the box version from the store (I'm old fashioned that way) and have been enjoying it. However, With these types of games I can only take them for short periods at a time as the game play can feel somewhat repetitive.

But for people who enjoy the ever increasing challenges within that type of game play, they might like it.

It's a pretty solid game and I've run into no bugs. It's very polished.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

It is repetitive and its fun. Been playing it on and off for some time now because of the repititive nature. Nice premise. Kind of limiting in the choices of active spells available at any one time. A stylized version of Daiblo catering to a slightly younger crowd.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It is gonna be sweet! I still play the first one and I so can't wait for TL2!

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

The first one was made in a very short period of time, so it'll be interesting to see what they can come up with for part 2 now that they have a lot more time and money. Id love to see them add Mythos crafting system.

• popcorn2199popcorn2199 Member Posts: 52

I'm more excited about them adding another class with more spells to try out. I get bored having to use the same spells for a while. I think this game will be a lot more fun when its not so repetetive. Being able to get out of the mines more will help with that.

Can you choose your genders on the new game? I hate not being able to do that.

-popcorn2199

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

I am a bit surprised. I was under the impression that we would be getting an MMO somewhat sooner. I would rather they work on that than another game like this. Unless, of course, they are running out of capital and need to release something in order to keep their funds up.

Either way, the first one was a solid game, and I will be buying this one. Sometimes, I just want to kill hundreds and hundreds of things.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• WebbstreWebbstre Member Posts: 9

To respond to a few things in this thread:

Anyone know how many copies it sold?

They are now over 600,000 copies sold.

Also I am thinking from reading this article these sales are from Steam alone . Granted I can almost gurantee that probably about 90% who bought this game did actually buy it through steam, but thats just a guess, that still leaves 10% of more sales for a single-player only game. Also since Perfect World Entertainment picked them up as publishers they have a pretty good backing. I don't think money will be an issue with Torchlight 2.

I mean look at what they did with Torchlight 1 and I can almost gurantee you they started with way less money on that project. Most of the guys who did Torchlight came from Flagship Studios and if you know anything about them you know how that went so they could'nt have gotten much money from there.

Don't be too sure about any of that. Perfect World has been their publisher since Day 1, and also their main source of funding. They aren't running out of money to make the MMO, since Perfect World is paying the bills on that one, but rather using the gap before Diablo 3 comes out to fill the void and respond to all the requests for regular multi-player that everyone had. Torchlight 1 is helping to pay for Torchlight 2, and both will help to pay for the MMO, but their main funding is still Perfect World.

Id love to see them add Mythos crafting system.

I'll ask about crafting in our next interview for Runic Games Fansite.

I'm more excited about them adding another class with more spells to try out. I get bored having to use the same spells for a while. I think this game will be a lot more fun when its not so repetetive. Being able to get out of the mines more will help with that.

Can you choose your genders on the new game? I hate not being able to do that.

There will be FOUR new classes, and none of the old classes will be playable in Torchlight 2 - although there will be guest appearances as NPCs. Four classes, two genders for each class, with at least hairstyles and faces being customizable. No word yet on what else they'll let you customize about the characters.

Feel free to ask me questions here if you want to know anything else, or check out our Torchlight II FAQ, which gets updated every few days.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Ooooh retirement system! Good ol' MUD days... 

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by SgtFrog

play it! it is only £15..if you like diablo style games then you will love this

i can't wait for number 2!

I didn't even like Diablo and loved this game.

And if you use steam, you can sometimes get the game for like $5, so even if you aren't really sure about the game, $5 wont kill ya :P

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

I'm a bit confused; I was under the impression that this first Torchlight wasn't even out yet (looks up at the est. release date). This can actually be played now? And if so, does it have a diablo 2-like multiplayer system? I've been playing D2 again and having a good time, and I'd love to have an alternative.

Edit: Ah nevermind, I should have did a little research first.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by alacres

I'm a bit confused; I was under the impression that this first Torchlight wasn't even out yet (looks up at the est. release date). This can actually be played now? And if so, does it have a diablo 2-like multiplayer system? I've been playing D2 again and having a good time, and I'd love to have an alternative.

Ill answer anyways..

Yes its out.

No to MP. The reason they gave was because of the MMO that was coming. However seeing as how they are coming out with TL2 with Co Op tells me that was their plan all along. Hold out MP from the first to get people to pay for the second.

I bought the first but will not buy the second. I do not support liars or crappy games for that matter.

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

I read the magazine pc gamer one month they had a interview with Runic and they said their 80% sure they will be making a MMO in the long run.

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Ill answer anyways..

Yes its out.

No to MP. The reason they gave was because of the MMO that was coming. However seeing as how they are coming out with TL2 with Co Op tells me that was their plan all along. Hold out MP from the first to get people to pay for the second.

I bought the first but will not buy the second. I do not support liars or crappy games for that matter.

I think the TL MMO will be f2p but i cant be bothered to look for the quote.

TL1 was only $15 so you cant really expect much from it but for $15 it was a good deal for what you get.  For an ARPG it is a good price considering the train wreck called DS3.  I also heard TL2 will be in the$20 range so you get TL1 and 2 for around $40 to $45 which isnt a bad price considering what you pay for AAA titles (DA2 anyone).

TL2 will be a co-op RPG maybe up to 4 players so you get to play with your friends  and kill mobs for as long as you want without sub fees.  Plus its made for PC so you dont have to worry about getting a crappy console port.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Cognoman

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Ill answer anyways..
    Yes its out.

I think the TL MMO will be f2p but i cant be bothered to look for the quote.
    TL1 was only $15 so you cant really expect much from it but for $15 it was a good deal for what you get.  For an ARPG it is a good price considering the train wreck called DS3.  I also heard TL2 will be in the$20 range so you get TL1 and 2 for around $40 to $45 which isnt a bad price considering what you pay for AAA titles (DA2 anyone).
    TL2 will be a co-op RPG maybe up to 4 players so you get to play with your friends  and kill mobs for as long as you want without sub fees.  Plus its made for PC so you dont have to worry about getting a crappy console port.

TL2 wasn't planned when they did TL1. They were going to go straight into an MMO, but TL1 got a lot of attention, then a lot of people basically said, "I'd buy another copy of your game if it was co-op." A player then modded the game to show that co-op was possible and the developer very wisely thought, "We can sell another bajillion copies if we add new classes and make it a co-op game." And thus, TL2 was born.

TL2 adds 4 new classes, co-op play and open world areas.

The TLMMO has been in production this entire time and is still in production. It will be F2P with a cash shop.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

tentative target date

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14139&sid=88a1eafa8a09917685a57b9e699aa6d9

our current guess is September or October of 2011.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

woot!!!!!!!!

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing