Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic = WOW with Lightsabers

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Faelsun

Like the WOW clone crafting system (worst  crafting system EVER).

Sorry, this title was earned by the Warhammer Online crafting system already.

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by stayontarget

Put away the wow clones & lightsabers for a second.  How's the NPC's AI in this game?  Any good.

No one really knows... but the E3 2010 hands on preview (I'll link it if I can find it again...)   actually gives VERY nice insight.  At one point the guy does say that the  mobs just kinda stood still, but when they do spring to life, they seem very smart.  Granted this is a starter area he's playing too.  

Read both parts if you'd like.. there's a lot of good info in this for an everyday person playing it.

http://www.torocast.com/index.php/news/swtor-news/item/236-repost-brandons-hands-on-impressions-of-swtor

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by Gylfi

Originally posted by AlexTheTall

We will make something clear. SWTOR and WoW are both MMORPGs so they will obviously share some ideas, because it's the same genre of a game.

But, the lore, the game play, the goals, how to achieve something, the planets, the maps, the weapon, the gear, the fact there's no Elves, Orcs, etc, the classes, the races, etc. ARE VERY DIFFERENT... So it's not WoW, it's not EQ2... It's fucking SWTOR an MMORPG...

I disagree with most of the people here(they're clearly biased fanbois who refuse reality) but especially with you :)

The "genre" has 2 requirements, being constantly online and a few hundreds of players playing simultaneously.

So your argument is horribly wrong.

Plus, WoW and EVE also are MMO's, but they share near-to nothing.

And last, all the details you said, different names, different graphics and no elves aren't substantial differences... that's why people say "wow with lightsabers" and similar sentences.

I think every MMO should be unique just as every single player is... sure, almost every game is inspired by others, but in the case of MMO's it's not just superficial inspiration, it's shameless carbon copy, over and over and over and over for the last 5 years.

The genre of the MMO's is the most rotten of all the computer games, of all media in history, and brings shame to EVERY single videogamer for its HORRIBLE reputation.

And you(people) are actually defending this. You should hide your heads in the dirt, you are not only content slaves of the marketing bastards, but you're being scammed and you don't know it.

What exactly to you mean by MMOs should be just as unique as single-player games?

Additionally, you site a WoW to EVE comparison to show how MMOs that are very different in style and gameplay, yet fulfill the 2 "requirements", then go on to say that every MMO in the past 5 years is carbon copy of the last one. So which is it?

As for SW:ToR, from what little information has been released, it seems that Bioware is building on an MMO model that has been sucessful in the past, while adding their own unique flair to it by adding some things that are new to the genre. After being initially "worried" about the game, I have decide to reserve judgment and see what Bioware brings to the table. If ToR is great, great. If not, oh well I'll just find another game that I enjoy.

Also, it seems as though you might have MMO burnout but w/e.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by solocrono

Originally posted by stayontarget

Put away the wow clones & lightsabers for a second.  How's the NPC's AI in this game?  Any good.

No one really knows... but the E3 2010 hands on preview (I'll link it if I can find it again...)   actually gives VERY nice insight.  At one point the guy does say that the  mobs just kinda stood still, but when they do spring to life, they seem very smart.  Granted this is a starter area he's playing too.  

Read both parts if you'd like.. there's a lot of good info in this for an everyday person playing it.

http://www.torocast.com/index.php/news/swtor-news/item/236-repost-brandons-hands-on-impressions-of-swtor

From the Darth hater site, they mentioned that human mobs often run behind cover and to other mobs, thus bringing them into the fray. The bigger, droid like tank mobs seemed to move into the open for clear shots and didn't worry about calling for help.

But he did say that the mobs seemed to be sitting/standing around (yet still doing human actions) when not being attacked.

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

Has it been a month already? Time for another WoW w/ lightsabers thread. :(

One day productive debate will populate this site again, not that it ever has, but I expect it will not be any time soon.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Originally posted by Vonatar

I wasn't saying WoW copied, ripped off, cloned EQ and that's why it was successful. I was saying WoW is the heir of EQ and that, in part contributed to its success. Of course it's not the sole reason for it, there are many reasons and the Warcraft lore being strong and established in previous games, the way it was marketed etc etc are some of them too.

EQ was the forerunner, the one that did new things and messed a few of them up (like not being able to run off mobs, or people being able to steal your kills, or corpse runs etc) and WoW was able to develop from those kind of things into a better MMO. So if SWTOR takes things from WoW and makes them better we all benefit.

I definitely agree with this.  WoW can't be all that bad in the sense of how many subscribers it has, and how much money it makes each month.. regardless of what some people say about it.  Numbers don't lie, and Bioware, I think is making a terrific game.  Ever new video, documentary, etc. that comes out for this, adds more and more exciting things to it.

You're right about that Numbers don't lie, and the number so far Have EA with TWO major MMORPG failures. First they take a great game, UO and rip it apart everyone leaves, the end. Then after years of turning the game inside out and of course destroying the Dev company that made it, they decide to Strike again with Mythic, so they take a successful company like Mythic, fire the guys in charge, put their people in charge and proceed to yet again take something that HAD potential and make it garbage. 

I wont even get on their C@C butcher job they did, and various other games they created that were/are either bad or unplayable. We can already see the effects with Mass Effect 2 a company like Bioware who once had great stories in every game releases a connect the dots game with a stupid story. Also instead of the originally planned 3 game series Mass Effect will now according to EA be a continuing franchise,much like the Madden NFL games they do.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14467-SF-MMORPG-Examiner~y2009m6d25-EA-Games-merging-BioWare-and-Mythic-Entertainment

So Mythic is no longer Mythic It's EA north or something like that, since Mythic and Bioware are now merged into one studio, they are Bioware and Mythic only by name now... their really just a temporary name brand EA wants to use to release an MMORPG. And if your just a Star Wars Fanboi with blinders on pay close attention to this.

http://www.artfulgamer.com/2007/11/10/electronic-arts-the-destroyer-of-worlds-sets-its-eye-on-bioware/

Because its already beginning, Mythic and Bioware are already merged together now, the cost of TOR is already well over 150 million, They spent over 800 million buying out Bioware, not to mention how much they spent on Mythic... and since both companies have been merged I imagine EA expects them to deliver production costs+the down payment asap.

So As long as EA doesnt screw up and Bioware/Mythic make an mmo that opens smoothly and makes 1,700.000.000 dollars then everything will be fine, I am sure that they are under no pressure at all, sarcasm off.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/scifi-gaming/1865190/ea_announces_strong_quarterly_profit/

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Vonatar

I wasn't saying WoW copied, ripped off, cloned EQ and that's why it was successful. I was saying WoW is the heir of EQ and that, in part contributed to its success. Of course it's not the sole reason for it, there are many reasons and the Warcraft lore being strong and established in previous games, the way it was marketed etc etc are some of them too.

EQ was the forerunner, the one that did new things and messed a few of them up (like not being able to run off mobs, or people being able to steal your kills, or corpse runs etc) and WoW was able to develop from those kind of things into a better MMO. So if SWTOR takes things from WoW and makes them better we all benefit.

I definitely agree with this.  WoW can't be all that bad in the sense of how many subscribers it has, and how much money it makes each month.. regardless of what some people say about it.  Numbers don't lie, and Bioware, I think is making a terrific game.  Ever new video, documentary, etc. that comes out for this, adds more and more exciting things to it.

You're right about that Numbers don't lie, and the number so far Have EA with TWO major MMORPG failures. First they take a great game, UO and rip it apart everyone leaves, the end. Then after years of turning the game inside out and of course destroying the Dev company that made it, they decide to Strike again with Mythic, so they take a successful company like Mythic, fire the guys in charge, put their people in charge and proceed to yet again take something that HAD potential and make it garbage. 

I wont even get on their C@C butcher job they did, and various other games they created that were/are either bad or unplayable. We can already see the effects with Mass Effect 2 a company like Bioware who once had great stories in every game releases a connect the dots game with a stupid story. Also instead of the originally planned 3 game series Mass Effect will now according to EA be a continuing franchise,much like the Madden NFL games they do.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14467-SF-MMORPG-Examiner~y2009m6d25-EA-Games-merging-BioWare-and-Mythic-Entertainment

So Mythic is no longer Mythic It's EA north or something like that, since Mythic and Bioware are now merged into one studio, they are Bioware and Mythic only by name now... their really just a temporary name brand EA wants to use to release an MMORPG. And if your just a Star Wars Fanboi with blinders on pay close attention to this.

http://www.artfulgamer.com/2007/11/10/electronic-arts-the-destroyer-of-worlds-sets-its-eye-on-bioware/

Because its already beginning, Mythic and Bioware are already merged together now, the cost of TOR is already well over 150 million, They spent over 800 million buying out Bioware, not to mention how much they spent on Mythic... and since both companies have been merged I imagine EA expects them to deliver production costs+the down payment asap.

So As long as EA doesnt screw up and Bioware/Mythic make an mmo that opens smoothly and makes 1,700.000.000 dollars then everything will be fine, I am sure that they are under no pressure at all, sarcasm off.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/scifi-gaming/1865190/ea_announces_strong_quarterly_profit/

I find it abnormally distressing that it most probably took you a while to get your post together with those links and everything just to tell us all what we already knew --- that you have no idea whats going on with SWTOR.

If you spent half the time it took you finding all those links and coming to irrational conclusions, ( like how TORs cost suddenly skyrockets because EA bought out BioWare) to actually look up information on what TOR has to offer, you wouldn't have needed to make this thread in the first place image

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Whether it is or not, it doesn't look to far off from the recent MMOs released. The ip alone should attract fans without a doubt. Now if only a Middle Earth would be redone in a open ffa pvp setting. My mmorpg experience would be complete.

I hope TOR is at least good enough that the fans enoy it. Personally I'm waiting for the next unique game hits the shelves. I enjoy my current MMO enough that I'll stick with it until at least next year.  

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125

This is not wow so stop comparing it, also any game since wow you would consider a wow clone.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yeah i don't have any interest in this game really but I will defend it to say that it is not a WoW clone. a clone would suggest much more similiarities. Also I think the reason you think this and pretty much all MMOs are WoW clones is because you don't spend the time to read about the games and what new and unique features they have to offer. Of course if you just look at screen shots all games before WoW and after WoW will look like clones...

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412

What game mechanics, exactly, differentiates this game from WoW (besides the voice overs and KotOR style story)?

Don't get me wrong. I am mildly interested in the game, just because it is Star Wars, and I am still playing WoW.

To me, what the OP says looks correct. How are wrong?

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

A MMO can not please everyone unfortunately, even when it is designed the best it can be. Somebody will always find fault with it. People are too diverse in personal tastes for that.

SW:TOR does seem to be chasing after the majority crowd, but to be honest I expect nothing less from Mr. George Lucas, and I am fairly certain he has had his influence on SW:TOR's design. He probably feels that since the whole world loves Star Wars that no matter how it's designed people will drop dead for it. Once again I think he is going to find out just how wrong he is.

As for how much or how little SW:TOR is like WoW, just who's fault is that really?

How many times on this site alone has droves of posters here compared and contrasted every single MMO to Wow, either because it was their first MMO, or their only MMO experience. Seriously it's we Players as a whole that generally drive the WoW clone market because the majority of MMO gamers are WoW gamers. That's what 11 million subs and the Elephant in the room does to a genre... it completely shadows it.

I for one think this is a bad thing, but I have played Wow, didn't enjoy it much, but I can see why Players do.... so I am not a WoW hater, I just wish Developers would look to other MMOs for inspiration sometimes.

All of that said I am watching SW:TOR and may play it depending on how we have to pay for it.

and now a little bit of comic relief...

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero
    Cataclysms space combat looks sick.

...oh wait.

Yes. As the above poster said, get back in your cage.

Cataclysms has space content? WoW

nvm... going back in MY cage....

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

The Old Republic = WOW with Lightsabers

Yes..and that is the main reason this game will pwn, if it wasnt wow with lightsabers it would fail like every mmo post wow.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by xxpigxx

What game mechanics, exactly, differentiates this game from WoW (besides the voice overs and KotOR style story)?

Don't get me wrong. I am mildly interested in the game, just because it is Star Wars, and I am still playing WoW.

I'd say for starters the fact that they are trying to make the leveling process not feel like a grind. They seem to want it to play out similar to single player rpgs in this regard, which is definitely a good thing IMO. Other than that who's to say what similarities it will have to other MMO's, without actually playing it?

You do realize how a game plays can change the experience completely regardless of similar features, right?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

OP = Hitler without the charisma or oratory skills. Making stupid and spurious comparisons is awesome!

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

Originally posted by Malickie

Originally posted by xxpigxx

I'd say for starters the fact that they are trying to make the leveling process not feel like a grind. They seem to want it to play out similar to single player rpgs in this regard, which is definitely a good thing IMO. Other than that who's to say what similarities it will have to other MMO's, without actually playing it?

You do realize how a game plays can change the experience completely regardless of similar features, right?

the final sentence is very very true.

But atm we don't know exactly how story and choices will affect your experience. We don't know IF they will.

So atm we know it works in the usual themepark way... i won't even say the WoW way, because it creates too many issues... similar/not similar parts, what was there before WoW, and so on... let's just say the themepark way, which consists of starting out in a map, looking for NPC's with their lovely exclamation marks above their heads, furiously click accept... then maybe a PUG, and then out we go to kill and kill and kill... then when we're done, we pass on to the next map, for more NPC's, more PUG's etc.

The problem here is that there's no challenge... 

-you don't need to explore, the quest marks will hand-hold you everywhere

-you don't need to understand the world to get riches and gear... because quests give you both

-you don't need to FIND tasks to do, the QUEST is taken in a dumb way... in some RPG's you just converse with NPC's, and they only give HINTS about what they need, the problems of the area, and the player has to FIGURE out something's amiss and practically INVENT the task... and if his intuitions are correct he gets rewards.

that's themepark. That's what WOW managed to stigmatize(if people get angry at the word INVENTION).

IF stories and choices actually affect this non-challenging babysitting experience then it's fine. 

But atm we don't know that, so it's LEGITIMATE to cry at WoW with lightsabers

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Gylfi

the final sentence is very very true.

But atm we don't know exactly how story and choices will affect your experience. We don't know IF they will.

So atm we know it works in the usual themepark way... i won't even say the WoW way, because it creates too many issues... similar/not similar parts, what was there before WoW, and so on... let's just say the themepark way, which consists of starting out in a map, looking for NPC's with their lovely exclamation marks above their heads, furiously click accept... then maybe a PUG, and then out we go to kill and kill and kill... then when we're done, we pass on to the next map, for more NPC's, more PUG's etc.

The problem here is that there's no challenge... 

You want to know why there's no challenge in these games? Because of the mass of people that NEED to be able to solo everything. It's REALLY difficult to make something challenging to each class individually, without spilling over into 'forced grouping'. Personally I prefer the latter any day of the week, but the numbers are in 'soloing'.

-you don't need to explore, the quest marks will hand-hold you everywhere

In some MMO's you still have to find the quest 'hubs' which sometimes might be in a remote camp or from a hermit npc somewhere. Quest marks don't ruin this, community websites do.

-you don't need to understand the world to get riches and gear... because quests give you both

Now you're just trolling. In what game does someone doing solo quests make more money and get better gear than someone that understands the game? Come on now that's just a silly comment.

-you don't need to FIND tasks to do, the QUEST is taken in a dumb way... in some RPG's you just converse with NPC's, and they only give HINTS about what they need, the problems of the area, and the player has to FIGURE out something's amiss and practically INVENT the task... and if his intuitions are correct he gets rewards.

It was like this in WoW classic and it was awful. I guess to each his own right, everyone has different taste. I personally would not play an MMO where it was normal and supposed to be 'fun' to run around for 30-60 minutes trying to find the location to complete a quest. Again, so long as you have community sites, this aspect of MMO's is all but dead.

that's themepark. That's what WOW managed to stigmatize(if people get angry at the word INVENTION).

IF stories and choices actually affect this non-challenging babysitting experience then it's fine. 

But atm we don't know that, so it's LEGITIMATE to cry at WoW with lightsabers

Your gripe with the lack of challenge in MMO's (leveling up at least) seems to be misplaced. What's the most common question asked in any MMO forum by a new player? - "What class is best for solo?"

The only way to achieve what you want is to make things difficult, but also make it so you can't group. Suddenly, it's not much of an MMO anymore. On the other hand, you could force grouping, but then you're limiting the amount of people in your game because the 'solo crowd' is quite a big proportion of the consumers.

• SWTORisWoWSWTORisWoW Member Posts: 4

http://www.massively.com/2010/06/15/massivelys-exclusive-swtor-interview-starships-pvp-and-craft/

From the interview the only things the Devs seem exited about are how much work they have put into copying WOW systems, like the PUG system, Raiding, Gear/Loot progression. But everything Star Wars fans care about, and not raid looters from guilds like Ensidia are either an afterthought or thrown out the window completely. 

Like the WOW clone crafting system (worst  crafting system EVER).

Space ships apparently will be Instanced..... I have a feeling you can say NO to space battles, they will be more like mini games in Facebook.... maybe you can cook while you're in there.

And given the attitude on the official forums , which are almost dead now BTW, most of the Star Wars fan base has given up hope on this thing. 

On top of what looks like a horribly bad PVP system, which caters to an autotarget anti ganking style of play, won't win much clout with heavy PVP guilds. I doubt the Goons or any other large PVP guild will put any kind of large investment into this game.Thats the same kind of bad development that killed Everquest. I dont know if anyone has noticed but WOW clones have bitten the dust hard the last few years, no reason to think this wow clone is special. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOEg-CuoRU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTdaQbkE-0&feature=related

I mean honestly the combat looks the same or worse than Everquest, two guys standing right in front of each other hoping Your autotargeted attack kills him before you die. The way they explain ranged targeting you pretty well dont have to aim, its more like firing a smart missile.. and I am sure it's the same for melee. Which means on top of loot progression which the game will be built around, the bad dynamics of PVP in the game mean that its going to be a slog fest between GEAR. Which means the PVP skill level of this game is going to be Garbage.

Also PVP will more than likely from what they said and what you see, be confined to Warzones, so basically they have Made WOW  WOTLK in space with Age of Shadows Rules.

Great............

WoW is certainly a different game than SW:TOR. It has different images and computer generated graphics. The races and classes are of course different as well.

BUT THAT IS WHERE THE DIFFERENCES END. THIS IS MOST CERTAINLY A WOW CLONE.

I have studied what the the website has to offer for weeks, and being a veteran of World of Warcraft, I have to say that I agree with the original poster. I am not a person who rushes to judgment. I am older than most of you and a college researcher. So believe me when I tell you that I come to this argument with an OBJECTIVE (means I have no favorites) opinion that is not biased. Most replies that this poster received are from people who have an extreme bias to SWTOR simply because they are excited for either a SW game, or because they want to play the SICKEST Sith/Jedi anyone has ever seen. And these posters have no objectivity only offering opinions based on what they hope that SWTOR turns out to be, and not based on facts which are on the website. Go ahead....taken another look at the SWTOR that you are championing. Go...go now.

Really? You and several million others who will be trapped in a story line with no way out. I quit the new SWG because I was being led around by Jabba the Hut from level 1-80. This SWTOR looks like its going to lead its player base around just like that.

The skill progression, loot, gear, and skill trees are all extremely similar to World of Warcraft's system. The sith gear resemble either the Warlock gear or Horde Priest gear.

It is like BioWare bought a copy of the game system (probably from China) and copy and pasted it too their own system. And then the devs only job was to create graphics and animations (which they claim are innovative). The only differences I see in this game is that instead of Paladins, you have Jedi/Sith healers.

This game IS NOT STAR WARS, it is WoW with Star Wars images pasted onto the screen.

SWTOR is WoW copy and pasted, but with different images.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I enjoy eating pepperoni pizza.  It's tasty.  Like this thread and the OP and the person above me.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by SWTORisWoW

WoW is certainly a different game than SW:TOR. It has different images and computer generated graphics. The races and classes are of course different as well.

I have studied what the the website has to offer for weeks, and being a veteran of World of Warcraft,

this does not count if WoW is the only point of reference you have, like having played other MMO's extensively

I have to say that I agree with the original poster. I am not a person who rushes to judgment. I am older than most of you and a college researcher. So believe me when I tell you that I come to this argument with an OBJECTIVE (means I have no favorites) opinion that is not biased. If you say so, but SAYING you're  objective is not the same as PROVING you're objective. Your postcount of 1 and this as your only post doesn't impress at all in that area. Most replies that this poster received are from people who have an extreme bias to SWTOR simply because they are excited for either a SW game, or because they want to play the SICKEST Sith/Jedi anyone has ever seen. And these posters have no objectivity only offering opinions based on what they hope that SWTOR turns out to be, and not based on facts which are on the website. Here you're showing that you're biased and not objective yourself, by only claiming that people saying that SW TOR isn't a WoW clone have no objectivity, implying that posters claiming that  SWTOR = WoW clone are objective. Go ahead....taken another look at the SWTOR that you are championing. Go...go now.

I did. I can claim that SW TOR is as much or less  of a WoW clone as 80% of all current MMO's, and that they are all in fact EQ clones. In fact, I can make that claim with better arguments than you use in this post, since SW:TOR isn't out yet and we don't know how the end result will be since not all features have been revealed yet, while the current MMO's are.

Really? You and several million others who will be trapped in a story line with no way out. Trapped in a story is not like WoW, bad argument.I quit the new SWG because I was being led around by Jabba the Hut from level 1-80. This SWTOR looks like its going to lead its player base around just like that. Saying that SWTOR will be as the new SWG is also not as WOW, another bad argument. 

The skill progression, loot, gear, and skill trees are all extremely similar to World of Warcraft's system. The sith gear resemble either the Warlock gear or Horde Priest gear. Interesting, since they haven't revealed all of the available gear and skills yet. And I'm guessing the trooper gear is like the paladin or such? Could you link the source that proves the skill trees of SW TOR are similar to those of WoW, plus explanation how they are similar?   

It is like BioWare bought a copy of the game system (probably from China) and copy and pasted it too their own system. If it looks like Bioware bought a game system from China, then that means that in that aspect SWTOR also isn't like WoW.  And then the devs only job was to create graphics and animations (which they claim are innovative). The only differences I see in this game is that instead of Paladins, you have Jedi/Sith healers. If that's the only difference you see, then you haven't been reading up on the available info about SW TOR and you're just trolling. Hell, in your own post here you already mention in your own words and view 4 differences that SW TOR has with WoW, so what're you talking about? 

This game IS NOT STAR WARS, it is WoW with Star Wars images pasted onto the screen.

Conclusion:  poster SWTORisWOW is not objective, or does not know how to present his case with valid sounding arguments.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by SWTORisWoW

I have studied what the the website has to offer for weeks, and being a veteran of World of Warcraft,

this does not count if WoW is the only point of reference you have, like having played other MMO's extensively

I have to say that I agree with the original poster. I am not a person who rushes to judgment. I am older than most of you and a college researcher. So believe me when I tell you that I come to this argument with an OBJECTIVE (means I have no favorites) opinion that is not biased. If you say so, but SAYING you're  objective is not the same as PROVING you're objective. Your postcount of 1 and this as your only post doesn't impress at all in that area. Most replies that this poster received are from people who have an extreme bias to SWTOR simply because they are excited for either a SW game, or because they want to play the SICKEST Sith/Jedi anyone has ever seen. And these posters have no objectivity only offering opinions based on what they hope that SWTOR turns out to be, and not based on facts which are on the website. Here you're showing that you're biased and not objective yourself, by only claiming that people saying that SW TOR isn't a WoW clone have no objectivity, implying that posters claiming that  SWTOR = WoW clone are objective. Go ahead....taken another look at the SWTOR that you are championing. Go...go now.

I did. I can claim that SW TOR is as much or less  of a WoW clone as 80% of all current MMO's, and that they are all in fact EQ clones. In fact, I can make that claim with better arguments than you use in this post, since SW:TOR isn't out yet and we don't know how the end result will be since not all features have been revealed yet, while the current MMO's are.

Really? You and several million others who will be trapped in a story line with no way out. Trapped in a story is not like WoW, bad argument.I quit the new SWG because I was being led around by Jabba the Hut from level 1-80. This SWTOR looks like its going to lead its player base around just like that. Saying that SWTOR will be as the new SWG is also not as WOW, another bad argument. 

The skill progression, loot, gear, and skill trees are all extremely similar to World of Warcraft's system. The sith gear resemble either the Warlock gear or Horde Priest gear. Interesting, since they haven't revealed all of the available gear and skills yet. And I'm guessing the trooper gear is like the paladin or such? Could you link the source that proves the skill trees of SW TOR are similar to those of WoW, plus explanation how they are similar?   

It is like BioWare bought a copy of the game system (probably from China) and copy and pasted it too their own system. If it looks like Bioware bought a game system from China, then that means that in that aspect SWTOR also isn't like WoW.  And then the devs only job was to create graphics and animations (which they claim are innovative). The only differences I see in this game is that instead of Paladins, you have Jedi/Sith healers. If that's the only difference you see, then you haven't been reading up on the available info about SW TOR and you're just trolling. Hell, in your own post here you already mention in your own words and view 4 differences that SW TOR has with WoW, so what're you talking about? 

Conclusion:  poster SWTORisWOW is not objective, or does not know how to present his case with valid sounding arguments.

Owned. Well said. It's funny how someone can log in with a name like "SWTORisWOW" and then claim no bias and some kind of rightous objectivity. Bad troll is bad.

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

I wouldn't care if it was wow and they just changed the scenerary and reskinned the characters. WoW is a good game, but it is just too meh i dunno childish? For me. Elves , goblins, trolls?

By the way, this is not a wow clone. Every game that comes out or hasn't come out or has even been spoke of is called a wow clone. People get a little bit tired of hearing it.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Well... the OP isnt too bright....

... but the OP is spot on.   This game is nothing more than WoW with lightsabers.  Yeah.  Pass.

But thanks for trying, Bioware.  Really.  :-)

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I also find TOR to be a little uninspiring, and the combat videos did remind me of the experiences I've had with World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Everquest 2. That being said, I love Star Wars, and any group of people marketing a game with this lable is going to get my attention. As long as my shit-beast computer can run it, I'll probably be playing, whether or not I've found everything released thus far to be "more of the same", which is what I'd bet they're counting on (for return of revenue).

Good response and I think appropriate.  As many have pointed out expect the game to be pretty vanilla, I don't espect them to revolutionize the genre much if it all I think LOTRO does a good job with the story telling element and Bioware will probably take that up a notch but otherwise a pretty standard mmo but for a gamer like myself that is fine.  I've played WOW and LOTRO for hours on end also games like SWG and COH and I just don't see Bioware making a game where the game play was not atleast equal to those titles.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

This thread is a troll convention. 

One should not expect objective opinions from someone simply trying to encite rage in others; moreover, the wow with lightsabers attack is almost as unintellectual as the wowclone phrase.  Then one cannot expect honest debate from trolls.

This discussion has been closed.