Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What dream MMO would make you /nerdgasm?

Comments

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by dwyrin

The Wheel of Time.  At least, that's what i thought should have provoked such a response however, seeing as there apparently is a WoT mmo slated for development with EA distrobution, i found my lack of response disturbing.  Perhaps my expectation is such that i now envision every mmo to be complete and utter failures, that i cannot get excited over the prospect of any mmo. 

Im with you here. I'd really like to see a well made Wheel of Time MMO but i pretty sure they will screw it up completely :/

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Something based on the Dragonlance Chronicles, especially during the Huma or Goldmoon days. I didn't keep up with the series post-Goldmoon so, no clue where it's gone from there, though. I hear Tass is still alive and irking people to hell and back (literally).

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Anything that finally moves away from MUD / DIKU / EQ style of game play and removes the preferential treatment of hardcores,groupers and raiders.  Now that would give me an orgasm.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• wazzap2121wazzap2121 Member Posts: 154

My dream MMO would be set in either fantasy/medieval times.  There would be no classes, only skills.  All skills would be set to 0 and when you work on them, you actually look like an newbie doing such a skill.  For example if you have 0 in swordsmanship, you would fall over sometimes trying to swing your sword or it would look very sloppy.  You get better at certain skills by actually doing them and as you level up in that particular skill, it looks flashy, more professional, and overall better.  This would be the case with all skills, spells, abilites, ect.  Obviously there would be a limit on how many skill points you would receive to prevent mastering everything. 

There would be multiple races such as the traditional dwarves, elves, ect or just made up classes that go with the lore.  The graphics would be good but not AoC levels so that everyone could play.  The world would be massive, full of resources to gather, monsters to slay, and wonderful exploration to sites that would make you draw a tear.  To go back on the skills, there would be a skill in EVERYTHING you could do in that particular setting such as, building a castle, being a farmer, a merchant, a professional thief, ect.  The economy would be entierly player based, everything can be crafted.  There is also epic raids you could do that would assist you to getting components for the gear being made.  

PvP would be a huge aspect in the game as well.  Skills would be as balanced as could be.  Players could also make factions instead of having ones made by the game.  Massive battles would also occur on fields.  Pking would be frowned upon and a reward could either be given by the player or by the game to ensure that player is sought out and eliminated.  Theres much more but thats the jest of what would make me feel to have a complete mmo.

• MegaMewMegaMew Member Posts: 47

Giving this now somewhat old topic a glanceover, I don't think anyone mentioned Pokémon... The simplest way to put it is it's apparently popular enough that I think there are several user-created ones (usually using the standard sprites ripped from the handheld games) floating around out there. I'd absolutely *love* to see an official one though. Just going by the records of sales for the individual, core handheld RPGs alone, I honestly believe this is the one license that could definitively compete with World of Warcraft's player numbers. It has the mainstream appeal, it's accessable to both the casual player and the hardcore Effort Value grinder, it has a AAA name attached to it, and would look fantastic in a properly rendered 3D universe.

As many people will be quick to jump on, however, the big roadblock for such a project would probably be Nintendo... At time of writing, their first(?) somewhat online title will be Monster Hunter Tri, which will require monthly subscriptions for access paid in Wii Points, I believe, though the game can also be played offline. Probably most comparable to the Phantasy Star Online/Universe format, though I've never played it, personally. If that does well? Maybe Nintendo-sponsored MMORPGs won't be entirely out of the question. Otherwise, however, I don't think the company quite comprehends online gaming yet... It may actually better to see if a more experienced third party could grab the license directly from Game Freak and try to sneak around Nintendo's policies that way. Though on *that* note, we're running out of such good developers that aren't already parts of other larger ones. :P (I'm looking at you, EA)

I even played Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online to get a feel for what it might play out like... I liked the demon raising thing, but the leveling rate was... Rather slow. Not to mention your demon leveled up at almost the same rate as you, so actually using all of your creatures and leveling them up equally is out of the question unless you have *that* much time on your hands. If there's anything the pay to plays I first played nailed, notably City of Heroes and WoW, it's the leveling rate. Pokémon should level like in the core games, not too fast, and not terribly slow until they reach the 70's. Likewise, WoW would also be a good basis for the game world... Ideally, I'd love to basically recreate the geography of Gold and Silver on a much, much larger scale, exploring through and traveling between Johto and Kanto initially, with room for many later locations to be opened up through updates and expansions. With everything that currently exists now, just "catching 'em all" would comprise no shortage of content on its own.

With an emphasis on Pokémon doing all (or a majority of) the combat rather than the player, we can go back to the Gods and Heroes concept of "everyone's a pet class"... But it may be important to throw in some sort of strategy and command over them so that we don't also get into the common pet class complaint of "I can just AFK and let my pet do all the work". Something more than buffs and tactic changing, perhaps?

At any rate, I believe it would be a success... This is the project that would definitely most make me nerdgasm. For the time being though, I'm also going to cross my fingers and hope WH40K Online turns out well.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Base an MMO in either the Travellar pnp game or the Space Opera PnP game universe.

All it would take for me.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• SavageSageSavageSage Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by NovaKayne

Base an MMO in either the Travellar pnp game or the Space Opera PnP game universe.

All it would take for me.

Travellar would be cool.

Have not seen anyone mention the Judge Dread PNP, done right, that would seriously rock the night.

Less serious note, for some nice campy old school PNP to online fun, Teenagers From Outerspace or Tales Of The Floating Vagabond would be serious off the wall fun.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

My MMO would basically be Mortal Online with third person Mount and Blade style combat.  A lot of ideas would be stolen from SWG also.  The game would also be made slightly more casual friendly.  Especially MO in lore and art direction.

Questing would be in the form of GM run events,  eve online style Agent quests,  and M&B style quests.  There might be a storyline quests just to bring out the lore of the land,  but its main purpose would be cash flow and story/lore and not leveling.  None of them would be grand in scale,  all would completable within a short series.  

There would be tons of different sandbox elements and faction type games.

*Cops and robbers

*Guild vs guild

*social casual games (would effect gameplay like SWG)

*business and trade

Magic would not be a mainstay of combat.  Mages would be powerful but more in assisting roles and normally would require armies for support.  Their would be smaller magics like charms magic,  but none would be full on combat related.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I'd like to see Everquest 1 re-done.

New graphics and interface, same difficulty, no bullshit quest grinding.

No maps, keyed zones, epic quests.

Pretty much everything up to and including Planes of Power was golden.

More world bosses, more dragons, the more updated combat system they use now.

No instances, not even 1.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

IP-wise, I would love to see:

1. World of Darkness

2. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

3. Alpha Centauri

As far as individual tastes regarding mechanics, I like Open world faction-based PvP with more than 2 factions divided preferably by species (ie no FFA or GvG) . I don't like dependence on gear or levels. I am also anticipating a developer creating mechanics that inspire camaraderie and loyalty among players of each faction/species. Territorial warfare may help, but there has to be something else.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

sandbox middleearth mmorpg, with a lot of options to create things and change environment

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

Non fantasy setting i would like to see the following:

1. Dawn of the Dead online. Man vs the dead, faction vs faction.  Fight to reclaim civilization while avoiding becoming someone's dinner. Fight for territory against rival clans. Constant search for food and supplies.

No magic, no hobbits or elves.

A variety of dead people, some fast, some slow, some weak others strong. Some intelligent others dumb as dirt.

To give you an idea for a typical setting, watch "Land of the dead".

Tutorial could be based on the initial "night of the living dead" where you find yourself holed up in a house, the infection has just begun, you have no clue what to do or where to go. The tutorial house gives you the basics on how to work the game, what your goals are, etc. Finish it and end up in a survival camp.

Pvp options would be abundant. Undead play could be limited to certain zones to prevent griefing.

2. Traveller. I loved the PnP game and see how this could be an excellent non fantasy mmo. Being able to design your dream ship over the course of your play would be neat. I think the possibilities for explorable planets would be good too.

3. Planet of the Apes. Also agree on this one.

Fantasy mmo types

1.  Might and Magic (not the rts version). Neat game world, fun older games. If treated with care it could be a game to move people to it from many other fantasy based mmos.

2. The world of Greyhawk. As others have stated it would make a great mmo game world.

3. everquest 1 with age of conan graphics.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Ultima Online with updated graphics / 3d engine, but with exact same play style / rules, possibly with the addition of a guild system like EQ2.

And I would love to see a Discworld Online game, as a sandbox.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

Terminator Post Judgement day

Don't want to bring back old crappy games, give me something new.

An MMORPG that is centered in Ancient Egyptian times.

An MMO where I am god.

• ZhylawZhylaw Member Posts: 115

scifi Faction PVP FPS MMO with light PVE. single shard server with dynamic moving battlefield.  Clan owned outposts where you can research tech, and build robots and automated defenses, decorate and chill with clanmates. Fully player driven economy with crafting + clan research for gear. Plus theres basic leveling system with in depth talent trees and respecing takes alot of effort.

There would be vechiles like transports and tanks, mech warriors and low flying attack craft. Player bases can be raided for loot and even completely destroyed though that would be very difficult. NPC aliens and generic EVE liike quests for grinding/loot hunting plus some raids. And rare random alien npc invasions can even attack your outposts in the most dangerous zones.

There would also be one big neutral city where everyone can go and hangout and have diplomatic meetings between the factions and clans. You can also get tattoos and haircuts and do other aesthtic character customization there. and ther would be non combat diversions there like gambling, playing pool, and retro arcade games.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Ringworld, or something set in Known Space.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

For me it would have to be Necroscope/Vampire World Mmo ... that would defo do it for me ..... if not that then probably Dragonlance :)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

As many old rpg’s are being used as examples, what about Harn, Shadow World or Paranoia? The pvp in Paronoia would be great fun!

But so many new releases just use a IP as a vehicle for the MMO, yes game play has to come first but not to the extent of forcing the IP into a post WoW template.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Mechwarrior
    Shadowrun
    UO2
    Warhammer 40k

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

Nerdgasm Online.

• TiiKiiTiiKii Member UncommonPosts: 163

A MMO based on the movies: Descent and Descent2.. God, those movies had me on the edge of my seat & made my skin crawl!

"Huntress"

• LesaretLesaret Member UncommonPosts: 15

An MMO based on the Dune series.

Ultima Online 2 would also be amazing.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Legend of Legaia MMO.

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

Anarchy Online 2

Dune Online - Chooses to play house harkonan.

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I'll settle for one that lived up to all of it's hype no matter what the ip is.  No name ips have rarely been good enough to draw me in as a must play and as we all know the known Ips suffer as much if not more than the new IP's do.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....