Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its alive...ITS ALIVE (i'm completely shocked).

ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

Taken from

http://www.atriarch.com/news/news.html

November 2008

Myrgrym Emails have been pouring in lately asking about Atriarch. We think gamers are anxious to see something new and different and are hoping Atriarch will be it. Many people are curious if Atriarch is still in development? What is the status? Why are we so horrible at updating? Anything cool you can show us?

The answers are simple and positive.

Yes, we are working on Atriarch. Yes, it is absolutely in development! We remain dedicated to and excited about the World of Atriana and possibilities this new alien world brings to fans of MOGs.

The small and dedicated Atriarch team is working feverishly on as much alieness fun as possible! This Summer and Fall a lot of progress was made. Here is some of what has been going on in the world of Atriana....

We are bringing forth a new style of user interface. Our goal is to cut down on clutter and UI distractions and make the interface less intrusive. Our philosophy is that a user interface is there to enhance your game experience, not be the game itself. Part of the new style is already implemented; more to go. As with anything new, we will definitely need to work out the kinks.

World building and authoring capability has been significantly improved. Previously, adding creatures and characters and general stuff to the world was a somewhat painful process. For example, changes to character and creature stats had to be made offline. Now all these types of changes are done live. Moving stuff around, trying out new things, and testing the world is much faster and easier than before. More importantly, it is a lot more fun! Hmmm... what would happen if I dropped 600 Mygrym creatures on this Tyrusin guard tower and cranked up their appetite?

Character pathing is the current focus for the dev team. Creatures and characters have general pathing guidelines which are defined by their AI behavior. We are expanding the AI behavior to include specific pathing as well the general.

On the note of release dates and time.... yes, we understand this is taking a longer time than most people would expect, including us. Essentially, time is the trade-off we have had to make for choosing to do Atriarch ourselves and with little budget. We have a passion for creating unique and alien worlds. We also have the dedication and the long attention span necessary to ensure this living, breathing artistic passion is birthed into the game space.

Someday everyone will want to live in a custom structural masterpiece from an Eshlar architect. Someday everyone will know to visit the Cavolon scientist for that unique elixir that makes their garden grow twice as high as their neighbors. Someday everyone will dream of joining the Lokai on their adventures across the Sinking Desert to trade for rare and exotic goods. Someday everyone seek to hail amongst the Tyrusin warriors in great battles of honor and courage! Someday, the Unarra will reveal themselves. We just don't know when that someday is yet... but we promise to tell you as soon as we know. And yes, we suck at updating. We will eventually get better at that :-)

Comments

• KelenekiKeleneki Member UncommonPosts: 32

Nice.  

Thank you kindly for the information.

I hope they still have me in the beta I was accepted into all those years ago.  I think it was 2000, 2001, or somewhere around then.   

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a game like this. 

In the 8 years this one has been breweing in someone's garage the market has become saturated with numerous free to play and pay to play mmo's.

The world economy is taking a dive.

I signed up for the beta too... back when I was nearly a mmorpg virgin.  

Can't help but root for the little guy though.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Honestly, I think it's simply been in development for too long, not to be enjoyable, but I just don't think it will actually release at this point. I'm as shocked as anyone else that the game still lives. That being said though, I would absolutely love for them to prove me wrong, because if they actually deliver on their promises, the resulting game will be amazing.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• KelenekiKeleneki Member UncommonPosts: 32

I hear what you are saying.  Too bad about Atriarch if it never get gets made.  It seemed so innovative and exciting all those years ago when I first read about it.

Originally posted by Keleneki

I hear what you are saying.  Too bad about Atriarch if it never get gets made.  It seemed so innovative and exciting all those years ago when I first read about it.

It's still innovative and exciting compared to what we have right now. It's a shame its never going to get made )=.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• jdilling00jdilling00 Member Posts: 26

I find it strange that sow few people understand the economics of a small company.

these folks have a day job they make boring software for boring business. For fun and because they want to they decided to take some of the company profit and develop a game. They have shoped for a publisher but they are not making a wow clone so no go. That means find a gamer investor or do it you self. With out the kind of cash flow that the large publisher can generate, your development has to stop every time bread and butter work needs you, but these floks care enough about what they are doing that they are still at it 11 years later. Will it ever make it to market hard to say, but if it does it looks to be very diferent from anything out there right now.

Originally posted by jdilling00

I find it strange that sow few people understand the economics of a small company.

these folks have a day job they make boring software for boring business. For fun and because they want to they decided to take some of the company profit and develop a game. They have shoped for a publisher but they are not making a wow clone so no go. That means find a gamer investor or do it you self. With out the kind of cash flow that the large publisher can generate, your development has to stop every time bread and butter work needs you, but these floks care enough about what they are doing that they are still at it 11 years later. Will it ever make it to market hard to say, but if it does it looks to be very diferent from anything out there right now.

Your thread necromancy is without peer. Resurrecting an ancient post about an even more ancient game that never saw the light of day (sadly)

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• ScorusScorus Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by jdilling00

They weren't able to find a publisher because they were not a WoW clone? They have screenshots on their web site that pre-date WoW by four years.

I'm glad they continue to work on this. I've been checking on it regularly (i.e. every six months or so) for over five years now...

• jdilling00jdilling00 Member Posts: 26

I followed the game when it was first announced, and pop back in every few years to see if anything has happened with it. I dont expect it will ever happen, but then one never knows