Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am tired of all the adds

SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

If mmorpg.com added a premium pay section to remove adds+ add other perks would you pay?

Just curious

((and really bored)) 

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Comments

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

I woudnt premium to get rid of adds, but since I like this site I make sure to click on all the adds daily

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Hell no!

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

I would not pay.  I click on the ads that pique my interest and disregard the rest.  This is their purpose and they serve them.  Premium access would only feed the forum trolls as then premium members would want premium titles, blah blah blah, yadda yadda, etc. 

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

I do not understand how they are tiresome.... They do not interfere in any way with the content of the site. TV ads? pain. Radio ads, pain.. Pop up ads that hinder access? pain.... static flash ads? no problem.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by nikoliath

I do not understand how they are tiresome.... They do not interfere in any way with the content of the site. TV ads? pain. Radio ads, pain.. Pop up ads that hinder access? pain.... static flash ads? no problem.

its an eyesore with an add flashing in every corner

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Atleast they are advertising MMOs and not penis enlargement pills.

So no, I would not pay.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I just block them.  Don't see them anymore and have no issues.  As for the paying for premium thing.... nope.  There are other places that will give me boards to talk to people that don't require added spending.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

The ads on this site are very minor and i hardly notice them, and i wouldn't pay premium for a forum board if you point a gun to my head, it's just retarded imo.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

It is called Firefox with AdBlock Plus

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by SgtFrog

If mmorpg.com added a premium pay section to remove adds+ add other perks would you pay?

Just curious

((and really bored)) 

No i would not pay.there is only one site i ever gave money to and that is Fileplanet,because they carry more files and have more database than probably the next 100 biggest sites put together,they carry those files for us the users,so they deserve it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

If the ads were way off in scope and who they're aimed at, maybe.

But really I've found a lot of cool things through the ads they've chose and I hope the focused marketing infects other areas of the internet really.

I'd love for myspace to become relevant again rather than trying to make me give a fiddle damn what Kim Kadriskian or Lindsey Logram has to say about anything.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Just curious

((and really bored)) 

No I wouldn't, I was just talking with the wife about a similar situation earlier.  I've been in addition to gaming and such a pro wrestling fan for life and for the last five plus years an avid reader of a site called pwtorch.com, they have an option to pay and get rid of the adds as well as get other little features but truth be told I'll pay for my hobby not for someone to tell me about my hobby so I don't sub, long story short as of late the ads there have been out of control they try to throw so many on my browser that within a minute of going to the site my explorer conks out as such I haven't been there since the year started.  Now if you are unfamiliar with the site and it's ads let me tell you, you haven't seen ads til you see the drivel that comes flashing across the screen on that site atleast on mmorpg the ads are always products that we as gamers would have some interest in and they are non intrusive too usually on the sides of the pages out of the way there you get about five popups per page load not counting the three or four you will see in little boxes all over the place and let's not forget the ones with sound that you hear but never see.  I have never had a problem with the ads on MMORPG and as long as they keep them the way they are I'll gladly keep coming back and contributing.

with that out of the way I can't state enough I will never ever pay money to have access to a fan site, I'd as soon order a magazine subscription as opposed to paying for fan/outsider content.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

Nope ads don't bother me a bit.  In fact they've actually help me find a game that I rather I've never played before and I'm rather enjoying it (EVE).

So nope sometimes the ads can actually be helpful.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Don't forget some (maybe most) people use this site to look for a new game to play. Not everyone comes here to troll and read news, so in that sense the ads can be pretty useful.

I remember when I first found this site, was just looking for something new to play and the choices animated on the homepage alone kept me entertained for the longest time. They just made it so if something looked somewhat interesting, I would have something to do right away without wasting a lot of time searching around and reading up on it on it.

I can't even count how many times the gameslist has burnt me now either, between EU restrictions or finding out that it ended up being shutdown after reading up on it's features and getting hyped, atleast with the ads you're 100% safe.

If anything it's just too bad there isn't a larger variety of ads here, they've been pretty much for the same games since I joined (curse you Fiesta!), kind of miss that having that "easy button" when I need something new to do lol.

• Krypt-JakeKrypt-Jake Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by Rasputin

It is called Firefox with AdBlock Plus

For the win.

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

No the ads are fine. I come here looking for game info, so as long as the ads are about games it is a-ok.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Thanks for the (mostly) support of our advertising here at MMORPG.com.  We have always strived to ensure all of our ads are gaming related and unobtrusive to our readers.  For this reason we forbid pop-up, pop-under, road block, fly out, expandable ads,  audio ads, email advertising, or any of those annoying textual hyperlink ads (man how I hate those!).  And trust me, we could have made piles of money from these ad forms - but your satisfaction here is more important to us.

It is my belief that if ads are relevant than everyone wins.  Before the Internet (yes I am THAT old) I used to buy gaming magazines *just* to flip through the glossy full page ads - it was really the only way I could find out what was "coming soon"

Regarding AdBlock.  I just want to say that setting MMORPG.com aside for a moment - this is a trend that is going to kill the free Internet as we know it.  Over the past 3-5 years we have seen ad blocking rise from 10% to what appears to be 35% or more just on MMORPG.com.  Were this to continue much beyond 50% we would be faced with some grim choices, including shutting down the site, charging membership, reducing the quality and amount of content (as we would have to let go all paid staff) or barring users from entering who block ads (yes, this is possible but never desirable).  Either way we would be faced with a decision that is bad for all parties.

I visit probably 12-20 websites per day that are supported by advertising.  I am more than happy viewing ads knowing that I get this content for free.

If you like our site and you use it on a regular basis please support us by disabling AdBlock on our domain.  Our team works hard to make this site possible and that is really not asking for much imo.

Oh yes, and in response to the topic - we will never offer a "premium" level of membership here.  I really don't want to collect money from you guys - it really goes against our philosophy.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• najob75najob75 Member UncommonPosts: 48

ABP disabled.

Keep up the good work.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Admin

Thanks for the (mostly) support of our advertising here at MMORPG.com.  We have always strived to ensure all of our ads are gaming related and unobtrusive to our readers.  For this reason we forbid pop-up, pop-under, road block, fly out, expandable ads,  audio ads, email advertising, or any of those annoying textual hyperlink ads (man how I hate those!).  And trust me, we could have made piles of money from these ad forms - but your satisfaction here is more important to us.

It is my belief that if ads are relevant than everyone wins.  Before the Internet (yes I am THAT old) I used to buy gaming magazines *just* to flip through the glossy full page ads - it was really the only way I could find out what was "coming soon"

Regarding AdBlock.  I just want to say that setting MMORPG.com aside for a moment - this is a trend that is going to kill the free Internet as we know it.  Over the past 3-5 years we have seen ad blocking rise from 10% to what appears to be 35% or more just on MMORPG.com.  Were this to continue much beyond 50% we would be faced with some grim choices, including shutting down the site, charging membership, reducing the quality and amount of content (as we would have to let go all paid staff) or barring users from entering who block ads (yes, this is possible but never desirable).  Either way we would be faced with a decision that is bad for all parties.

I visit probably 12-20 websites per day that are supported by advertising.  I am more than happy viewing ads knowing that I get this content for free.

If you like our site and you use it on a regular basis please support us by disabling AdBlock on our domain.  Our team works hard to make this site possible and that is really not asking for much imo.

Oh yes, and in response to the topic - we will never offer a "premium" level of membership here.  I really don't want to collect money from you guys - it really goes against our philosophy.

Well thanks for responding to my thread, I do enjoy coming to this site so I suppose I can support the place by clicking on a few of the adds :p

• liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118

It's funny that you're so concerned about ad blocking. I started using Firefox and adblock plus on this site when it became clear that you cared more about protecting your advertising money than about having an open discussion about both the pros and cons of individual mmorpgs. Maybe you should start charging for membership so you could reverse that philosophy. I'd happily pay if I knew that my posts were more important to you than some software company's marketing department checks.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'd never pay and would never click on an ad on purpose, no matter how good the site. The actual sites themselves often have very little control over where the ads lead to, they can be changed to malicious sites without the site they're appearing ons consent.

Firefox + adblock plus have been a must for a very long time now.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Regarding AdBlock.  I just want to say that setting MMORPG.com aside for a moment - this is a trend that is going to kill the free Internet as we know it.  Over the past 3-5 years we have seen ad blocking rise from 10% to what appears to be 35% or more just on MMORPG.com. 

edit: see post below

-------------

Truth, and I agree with it, and I used to insist that ABP was evil.  From the blog that I used to have I noticed essentially a 100% drop in ad revenue after the then-new ads that I used were added to the ABP filter.  The $10/mo hosting account that I had could only just barely support its own monthly subscription price, and I killed each of my blogs once the ad revenue was only a few bucks above the $10/mo that my hosting cost me.

Here's where I'm not going to win any friends, though.  I have it enabled on MMORPG.com.  This used to not be the case ("Disable on ..." was used) because I use the site so much.  The reasons why I have it enabled are:

1.) First and foremost, all of the Flash-based ads.  While there's no audio (thank goodness!) there is plenty of animation and they're very distracting.  Flash is also notoriously greedy of one's CPU and mmorpg.com is kind of sluggish on its own.

2.) There are many, many advertisements.  One or two in the side, one in the article, one at the top, and so on.  The fact that most (if not all) are Flash-based simply add to the irritation that they cause (and to the general browser slow down).

If I can disable ABP while still using Element Hiding Helper to trim back on the number of advertisements that apear on a single page then I'll do that, but I don't think that's possible(?).  Honestly I don't mean for that to sound as cocky as the text probably makes it seem.

The cycle that I see happening is that people begin to use ABP and websites respond by using more ads and/or by using advertisements that are more attention-getting, such as Flash advertisements.  This irritates those who had not yet used it into doing so, and the cycle snowballs until basically everyone is using it.  Personally I don't mind an advertisement here and there, but there's only so much that I can deal with before they drive me crazy.

ABP is a too-powerful option, I'll admit.  I used to selectively block ads but that eventually required too much micromanagement so now it simply kills everything everywhere.  An odd twist of fate considering my own experience of lost revenue.

Honestly I'm surprised that there's no Pro / Premium feature.  I wouldn't mind a small donation to get rid of the ads.

I don't have any solid suggestion to address the issue.  If the number of advertisements are dropped back then you run the risk of losing a considerable amount of revenue.  If you don't - or at least don't chill on the Flash ads - then you're probably looking at more and more people using ABP.  That's not a happy cycle, and in a way I'm glad that I don't need to worry about it any more.

For the record, I don't mind text based ads so long as they're not those god awful in-context things that spawn a pop-up on mouse over.  Those are worse than Flash. image

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

@Admin

No offense, but if the ads weren't so right in my face all the time I wouldn't have AdBlock enabled. It doesn't help that nine times out of ten the ads were for some forgettable free to play garbage.

It's nice that you want us to help make this site better, but you can do some fixing of your own.

And to address the OP, I'd never in one million years subscribe to a forum. Especially to a forum with moderators as click happy as this one.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

To be completely honest, the ads don't bother me. Most of the ones I notice are usually relevant to the theme of the site in one way or another. Most of the time I don't pay them any attention. There's plenty of sites with worse presentation of their advertisements.

I only see premium for this site being worth it if there was more MMORPG content added, and more relative sites that would be included within the subscription, and more perks than just ad removal. As it stands, no, I wouldn't be interested.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

The link to GA got me to try it out.  And I enjoy it from time to time.