Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's wrong with this game?

XotellXotell Member UncommonPosts: 34

I heard about EQII going F2P soon so I got myself a trial account to check to out. Honestly it's a great game but really only because it's a different style somewhat with the names and others smaller things and just generally enjoyable. I've been playing for three days now until this memory thing stopped me. And I can't really describe it since I don't even know what is it or why it's there. So after reaching it's self-set limit of memory usage I went back to a quest hub and only 1 of the 6 guys that where supposed be there had loaded. After standing around for a few minutes I tried to talk to the one guy I could see and a message popped up saying it need to save ~261000 bytes to do so but it maxed out the limit already and the game crashed...So like the topic says, what's wrong with this game? Why is it saving anything extra to my computer anyway, isn't MMO data saved elsewhere?

One man's guts are another man's glory.

I actually didn't expect to be Black...

Comments

• JesterMesterJesterMester Member UncommonPosts: 22

Hmm, I remember getting those type of errors when I sitll played EQ2 (played since beta till 08 xmas) when I was on a 6 yr. old machine using XP. I didn't get it often a few times a year, never a persisted more than a few times. Check your drivers.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Not sure what's wrong, but i can just guess that you're either out of disk space or you have very low memory.. or just very low end computer? I myself never had such problem. Best way to get your problem solved is posting in official support forums.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Yeah, EQ2 is an awesome game tbh, it's sad that the way they are doing the F2P is going to just kill the population on the subscription-servers b/c of how they are setting up the free-trial and character transfers/copies once F2P goes live....

That being said, the "out of memory" issue you mention has been with the game for a very, very long time. Basically, the only thing that fixes it is to reboot your computer and once you load it up again try lowering your settings, after each time you lower the settings alt-tab out of the game to clear what is loaded into memory so you start fresh. Basically, just keep lowering your settings until you don't get that error anymore...I know, it's a pain in the arse and the error itself seems to stem from a problem w/ the game keeping data "cached' in memory and it just keeps building and building until your out of physical memory and the game has no room to load anything else and crashes. The only way I found to deal with it (besides getting a new, better, faster system) is to follow the procedure I outlined above. I guess I should also throw out there the fact that this may not be the actual cause of the error, but what I gathered from years of experience w/ the error, again on my old system as I haven't had it since I built my new comp w/ a nice quad-core CPU, 4GBs of DDR3, and a 5850 w/ 1GB of video-memory.

If you don't mind me asking, what server are you playing on, the server you play on really affects the quality of your experience in EQ2 with the best communities being on Lucan D'Lere and Antonia Bayle (in that order), at least imho. Anyway, glad you found the game, it really is pretty enjoyable and is definitely under-rated in the MMO community, mostly b/c the game was pretty bad at launch, not so much due to bugs or lag or anything, but rather b/c the way the game was set-up. But over the years they have surely, and steadily chipped away at the stone and really sculpted EQ2 into one of the best MMO's out there, again, at least imho ;)

• XotellXotell Member UncommonPosts: 34

Strange...thanks for the advice, all of you, I'll be sure to try it out. But also yes, my computer is pretty old but I have about 40gb free space (with 65gb total). And you're right about EQII being underrated, I heard about the original one time and I wasn't even aware there was a second one until a few days ago. Also, I'm on the Unrest server, I guess the community is okay but I've really only heard people on the auction channel. A single item sold for 190 platinum on there makes me feel so small with my 30 silver. Anyway, thanks again.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

It's run by SOE.

I understand that companies need to make money, but SOE has a reputation for alienating their consumers in the process. A lot of gamers, myself included, tend to stay away from companies like that. My reasoning is that I'm afraid that they are going to drastically change it in such a way so that it is no longer the game I originally purchased, or they aren't going to do anything with it.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Maybe that explains why I don't hear much of anything about EQ.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Umm, I have never heard of what you described before. Sounds to me like its a computer issue for you, not the game itself.

And whats wrong with the game? Its run by the same people that think f2p is a good idea and they are willing to screw over the existing servers to get it by not allowing newbies to start on an existing server and charging $35 a character to transfer.

[Mod Edit]

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Moirae

And whats wrong with the game? Its run by the same idiots that think f2p is a good idea and they are willing to screw over the existing servers to get it by not allowing newbies to start on an existing server and charging $35 a character to transfer.

This just about sums it up.

I was wondering how long it would be before soe crossed your threshold.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by Daffid011

And whats wrong with the game? Its run by the same idiots that think f2p is a good idea and they are willing to screw over the existing servers to get it by not allowing newbies to start on an existing server and charging $35 a character to transfer.

To say that they are not allowing new players to start on exisiting servers is a lie. Free trials will be on the EQX but new players can still start the game by the conventional method.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

For your technical problem in EQ2, after you boot it up and get it running alt-tab to your Task Manager screen. Find EQ2's .exe (oddly it can be named a few different things usually eq2client.exe) and right click on the process. Find Set Priority and try it at the High Setting.

There's also settings about how many high polygon count models to load on the screen within EQ2's preferences. Lower it to like 3 and then up how many low res models to load to about 20.

EQ2 sucks because it's low end game is awesome, but after 30 until about 50 it's so repeative and the maps are small and  uninspired. Also SOE on more than one occasion has wiped the classes' playstyles and offered something 'new' in a VERY NGE way that just disheartened me. My rogue, my warlock, and my shaman all pretty much played the same way anyway. I had to have my toggles on, I had to buff my team mates, and then I had to tap 23456426224 in some odd sequence because the cooldown timers seemed to unnecessarily slow down the pace of an otherwise strategic battle. Anything regarded as an instance or a dungeon pre-2008 content is usually just a room filled with mobs. Over all in comparison to EQ1 and it's variety of classes and it's knack at making you feel like you're exploring something new EQ2 is the complete opposite. All the quest chains feel the same, all the collections feel the same, most areas have the same type of goblin model to fight. After level 30 it's really hard to enjoy the game until you get to the newer content that they've added.

Oh also your graphics card means crap to EQ2 for the most part. It was designed to load mostly through your processor and use up a lot of your virtual RAM. So you might want to clear up as many of those settings as possible.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Beachcomber

To say that they are not allowing new players to start on exisiting servers is a lie. Free trials will be on the EQX but new players can still start the game by the conventional method.

His point still applies. Any new player that tries the trial first to see if they like it will have created and played a character they can not play on the EQ2 subscription servers. If I really like the character I've been working on, why would I sub just to start over? The problem he doesn't realize is they are not allowing transfers from EQ2X to EQ2 servers last I heard. Only the other way around, in case vets want to play their old characters for free. It would be messed up to charge $35 for it, but they supposedly aren't even allowing that. They essentially have to start over if they choose to sub, or keep playing their character in EQ2X. It's like they are asking for the old servers to depopulate.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

well my way of thinking is there are less people working on eq2 now has they have two new mmos comeing soon dc online and the agency.

so eq2 will start takeing a back burner, not much going on with vanguard think thats only got a small dev team now and has for swg think thats same way.

but did not think eq2 would go ftp before swg or vanguard.

well thats my way of thinking might be wrong. but eq2 is a great game allways has been.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by lovebug

well my way of thinking is there are less people working on eq2 now has they have two new mmos comeing soon dc online and the agency.

so eq2 will start takeing a back burner, not much going on with vanguard think thats only got a small dev team now and has for swg think thats same way.

but did not think eq2 would go ftp before swg or vanguard.

well thats my way of thinking might be wrong. but eq2 is a great game allways has been.

You have to have enough developers on the team that know what they are doing in order to turn the game into a f2p model. It's not just a magical switch you can flip. Alot of development work generally goes into converting a game over.

I imagine SWG and Vaguard do not have large enough teams or bring in enough money to justify even putting the time in to make the change over.  Both Vanguard and SWG would have some huge hurdles to overcome and I imagine it would require reworking a good portion of how the game works to make this happen. Both games are more open world style then EQ2 and those they would have to create some type of system to limit the players to certain content only. And to do that they would have to go back through and revisit all the content to flag who should gain access to what.  Then you also have to take into account what classes you want to be usable for free and what ones usable for paying. ect.

EQ2 would be extremly easy to convert over since the game uses a zoning type system and still retains a fairly large development team (how else do they manage to pump out an expansion every year).

• allsmilestouallsmilestou Member Posts: 47

Umm, I have never heard of what you described before. Sounds to me like its a computer issue for you, not the game itself.

Ok for starters, anytime you see this forum user post, all she does is defend Everquest illogically and without any forethought.

On top of that, she calls people names repeatedly and is so full of anger and hate she shouldnt be allowed to post in here any longer. Please ignore her, as her logic is laughable at best.

I think the OP has a valid topic and Im wondering the same thing. They should just put this game out of its misery allready. Next year is the biggest year of MMOs EVER.

Everquest is going to die along with some other games. It will happen, I guarantee it.

I wish EQ would be sold to some other company so it could either keep going or get better, I like it a lot.

• KazlinKazlin Member UncommonPosts: 124

TBH its nice there trying a F2P model on a sucessfull game like this with 2 million subs. The F2P model is a diffrent ball game to the sub and if you enjoy the game enough you will end up subbing to it by buying the game as well. The F2P model is nice for the ppl that dont wanna do everything or have access to every area or spells.

For all the ppl complaining that it will hurt the already player base it shouldnt affect it at all like i said above the F2P model is a huge downgrade from the P2P model as in it nerfs your toons to the point of no return and the fact of the matter there both seperate is a good thing. I was worried my P2P account will be converted over and have to pay for all the stuff i eared when i subbed for the game for the last 6 years .

To the person who thinks SoE is a bad company i can name one company who is 1 million times worse and it begins with a B so many times have they screwed there customers over because all they care about is the bottom $.

To the person who thinks EQ will die next year think again EQ will never die it was what made SoE and has been stated numerious times it will be supported as long as there is a customer there just because next year will be a huge year for MMO's it dosnt mean any of the games comeing out will take the place of EQ . EQ is by far still the best MMO ever made and EQ2 is diffrent but its one hell of a game.

And finally to the person abover me wishing EQ was sold to another company that will never happen because that is SoE's baby  the best thing for SoE to do with EQ1 is take it down and rerealease it with a new skin and ui to catch right back up with nowadays grafics and playability its still to this day the biggest conntent MMO made EQ2 is the closest to it with content but is stilll no where near it.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Wait a minute, you think EQ2 has 2 million subscribers?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It's not a character transfer, it's a character copy. Just for the record.

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by vesavius

It's not a character transfer, it's a character copy. Just for the record.

thats true its a copy, but I personally would not be annoyed so much were it that we got atleast 1 free copy.