Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well , they just killed Aion

RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I think its official poor judgment on the server merges has people running for the hills. Let other mmo's look on this disaster as a list of things not to do. R.I.P

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Comments

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Server mergers are nessesary.

There are very few MMO's that dont end up merging servers.

Often the mistake is to leave merging servers too late.

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by sadeyx

Server mergers are nessesary.

There are very few MMO's that dont end up merging servers.

Often the mistake is to leave merging servers too late.

Most of the time it because their not merging fast enough. I left some games because of this.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I agree but look at how they did it. Go check Aion forums out for a list of complaints from thousands

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Originally posted by Redcor

I agree but look at how they did it. Go check Aion forums out for a list of complaints from thousands

True but they whine at just about anything.

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

What do you mean "how they did it"? Merges went really smooth technically and the servers have never been livelier. Skimming through forums doesn't give you an accurate idea of what exactly is going on, people cry about everything. Balancing is a nightmare on some servers, but that was also true before the merges, so again what exactly are you talking about?

Oh and the "R.I.P" and the thread title don't help your credibility in the least. Less of the trolling and more of the constructive please.

EDIT: Or you ment "character transfers postponed" instead of "server merges", which is a whole different thing.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

You got 8 bowls with each 10 apples and 3 pears

And you got 2 bowls with each 3 apples and 10 pears

You cant put more than 15 apples or pears into a single bowl.

Your challenge:

Put all the apples and pears into 5 bowls instead and fill atleast 4 of those bowls with the same number of apples and pears.

If you cant do this you totally fail and should be ashamed of yourself.

So you have 10 bowls, 86 apples and 44 pears to start?  Then you want us to get rid of half of hte bowls?  But we cannot have more than 15 apples in any bowl?  Well, to start off with - you're going to have more than 15 apples for those 5 bowls - 17.2 apples per bowl if you have 86 and 5 bowls...

Does this mean you should be ashamed of yourself?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

I just re-subbed after a long break and am having a blast.  The servers are packed, active and filled with plenty of pve groups and pvp.  I know there are some people out there who dont play and like to talk junk, but spreading lies and assumptions and negativity doesnt make it true just because you posted it in the forums. 

A for effort tho. 

• ZookzZookz Member Posts: 244

It's not dead. I'm still hoping 2.0 smooths things out. The producer, Lance Stites just recently addressed the community, and overall I found what he had to say very refreshing. There's literally no other RVR game out right now that I feel is worth the money. I've been a vocal critic of this game and the way it's been managed, but they can really only do so much being hamstrung by their Korean counterparts. 

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

You got 8 bowls with each 10 apples and 3 pears

And you got 2 bowls with each 3 apples and 10 pears

You cant put more than 15 apples or pears into a single bowl.

Your challenge:

Put all the apples and pears into 5 bowls instead and fill atleast 4 of those bowls with the same number of apples and pears.

If you cant do this you totally fail and should be ashamed of yourself.

So you have 10 bowls, 86 apples and 44 pears to start?  Then you want us to get rid of half of hte bowls?  But we cannot have more than 15 apples in any bowl?  Well, to start off with - you're going to have more than 15 apples for those 5 bowls - 17.2 apples per bowl if you have 86 and 5 bowls...

Does this mean you should be ashamed of yourself?

I'm not to sure about you guys and your nerdrage math posts, but they suspended server transfers because the community was QQ about server racial imbalances.  So, yeah, at least they listen to the community when they whine about things and are trying to make everything balanced again and make the player base happy.

• disciplinediscipline Member Posts: 44

the server merges didnt kill aion...its doing it all on its own.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The servers needed a merge without a doubt, if people are leaving it's because they've likely just had enough of the game itself.

It was fun, aion had my attention up to 50 and a month or two afterwards, their just isn't anything at end game that really makes you want to stick with the game after that though, especially after you've geared and made it up on the abyss rank/leader board.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

The servers needed a merge without a doubt, if people are leaving it's because they've likely just had enough of the game itself.

It was fun, aion had my attention up to 50 and a month or two afterwards, their just isn't anything at end game that really makes you want to stick with the game after that though, especially after you've geared and made it up on the abyss rank/leader board.

lol exactly.. thats why i quit.. AION was really the funnest MMO for me.. I had joined the day it was released and i think thats part of why i had so much fun with such a unpolished game.. Everything was new, not only to me, but new to everyone else.. The fort battles were full of lvl 25-30's with some maybe lvl 40's who were hardcore lvl'ers or botters..

Best time i ever had gameing was staying up hella late at night to do my lvl 41 gold weapon quest.. Waiting hours for the rift to open to asmodae and then roflstomping a rival asmo legion only to finnaly gain access to the instance  to have our tank leave.. So what'd we do? We hired a non-legion glad to tank instead lol.. I enjoyed the lvl 41 wep quest pretty much all togetherl, especially when we had a little skirmish with some asmos camping the 30min respawn AI you gotta kill in the abyss for one of the gold wep chains

That was about the last good time i had on AION.. 42 - 48 was spent solo-kiteing in Idratu and avoiding all other players like the plague.. Then 48-50 was spent grinding the same ez mobs over and over for plat coin gear; only to realize plat coin gear isnt nothing compared to miragent/fenrils which ANY lvl 50 can get with enough time.. And if you were a lvl 50 without miragents you were gonna die to any other lvl 50 in miragents, no matter what (unless you had lvl 50 abyss gear maybe.) So yeah, i was pissed, i had spent the last month solo-grinding only to realize the REAL grind starts once u hit max lvl lol..

I stuck with it till my 5th attempt on miragents leggings.. I was so pissed RNG was decideing weather i'd get end-game gear or not.. And without that end game gear i was gonna die in every dredgion, every fort battle, and never get more then an A or B rateing in Dark Poeta.. So, i did what any logical western MMO player would do.. I started complaining on the suggestion forums..

Around the same time i was hitting 50 i think most others were too.. The suggestion forum had its first 2-3 pages requesting an change with how miragents works.. I think some even suggested just giving the Gold Heart after 5 failed procs (instead of 100 stains they give now which isnt enough for another attempt) so that way theres some light at the end of the table.. But NC Soft never responded.. And soon my busy legion i was in was down to less then half its member base.. And fort battles became so one-sided because of the low population.. Shit just really hit the fan all around that time.

Oh well.. I was lucky enough to find a legion mate to purchase the account for $200.. Sold 6 months of my life for $200, heh..

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by discipline

In most MMOs, a proper server merge can help a struggling title. IMO, in the case of Aion, it just speeds up it's eventual death.

The game is designed to drive away customers. It's in the core design decisions governing PvP in the game. As the server populations dwindled and people had more room in which to adventure, the built in mechanisms that grind up and spit out most players became diluted. There were still fort battles and rift based PvP was actually a blast. Now, with populations once again concentrated, griefers rule, the Abyss is closed to all but the Elites and rifting usually leads you into the waiting hands of a couple dozen high level players rift camping.

Under the current environment, the game will quickly grind up and spit out a majority of the remaining population, distilling the population even further and eventually leading to more merges. Rinse and repeat.

I pretty successfully predicted this game's tragectory shortly after launch. I personally think that a year from now, the current servers will be back to the same per server population levels we saw before the recent merges. NCSoft will probably be dumb enough to merge the remainder into One server and with in another year after that, there won't be anything left.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by discipline

In most MMOs, a proper server merge can help a struggling title. IMO, in the case of Aion, it just speeds up it's eventual death.

The game is designed to drive away customers. It's in the core design decisions governing PvP in the game. As the server populations dwindled and people had more room in which to adventure, the built in mechanisms that grind up and spit out most players became diluted. There were still fort battles and rift based PvP was actually a blast. Now, with populations once again concentrated, griefers rule, the Abyss is closed to all but the Elites and rifting usually leads you into the waiting hands of a couple dozen high level players rift camping.

Under the current environment, the game will quickly grind up and spit out a majority of the remaining population, distilling the population even further and eventually leading to more merges. Rinse and repeat.

I pretty successfully predicted this game's tragectory shortly after launch. I personally think that a year from now, the current servers will be back to the same per server population levels we saw before the recent merges. NCSoft will probably be dumb enough to merge the remainder into One server and with in another year after that, there won't be anything left.

every letter above its damm right , this game was failed from beginning , i stoped after 3 month subsc payed, returned 3 months later to level up my sm till L50, and mind you i die every single battle on abyss, and i took a look on my oponnents gear and always uber geared, and those godstones they are bugged cause they rng at 25% of the time as a chanter  told me^^, and he called me names cause i told cant be as that if its 2% must really be very rare to proc.

After 1 month on L50 i got 2 pieces of epic L40 abyss gear and i still die quite fast dont even get a chance to use skills on most of the times, insta fear and they resist chain of earth iden'' ignite aether and no more time to use something, even to use the new anti stun/shock KD, skill u cant use it if u are silenced, no fun at all on this game, then it comes sieges , again huge fail with bad design awfull lag and low fps,  if you are in a nice legion or you have uber gear u rule and get rewards other way you loose time and ap's. Sometimes i think about last days on wow, and i remember i ever died as fast as here in pvp.

Too bad cause interface and combat systen its very polished but the gear and all RNG  and huge xitloads of kinah u need to do something, destroy this game. New players they will quitrage at L50 as they notice how pvp works on this game. And in the last point the merge gorgos with spatalos failed on comunnity, and never saw a bad unpolite and greed people as right now on aion.

I believe on asian people this kind of game works just fine cause there none worries about botting cheating and such, in western they dismantle all bots, but cheaters stays there, they tecnical support ncsoon its terrybad and they dont listen western community, i think they really sux cause with some small points they could turn this game on a great game.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

omg i think the only thing that will really kill this game is the amount of whining the community does.  They will become just like WoW and turn to EZ mode.  I am actually glad that a lot of the epeen elitists are leaving the game, makes it easier for me to quest w/o getting ganked by some bored high level.

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

I think its official poor judgment on the server merges has people running for the hills. Let other mmo's look on this disaster as a list of things not to do. R.I.P

Yes , the most played game in asia and europe really cares about whether or not less Americans play the game.  They probably hope they can shut down the american servers so they don't have to deal with them anymore.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Probably just a sign of how things are, if player numbers are falling and they needed to consolidate, then fair enough, Aion's been around a while now, and players do get bored, Asian grinders are, nice looking, and Aion is definitely one of the best in the looks department.. it sounds like it will continue to do well in its own 'market' even if the numbers of western players is declining, give it another 6 months or so and it may even go  the F2P microtransaction route..

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

The grind is what did me in. I liked the game well enough and I played a tank a departure for me I usually play healers. However when I looked at the road ahead I was struck by how unfun it was. That told me to quickly quit and hand my armour in and walk away wihout a backward glance. Pity really I liked the game. Also the crafting system based on total random luck stunk that is an absolutely horrible way to craft.

Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by medmarijuana

Yes , the most played game in asia and europe really cares about whether or not less Americans play the game.  They probably hope they can shut down the american servers so they don't have to deal with them anymore.

actually its not just the Americans, but also the Europeans, calling it the most played game in Asia and Europe is a bit misleading..  in Asia perhaps it is one of the top ones (debateable) but in Europe it definitely isnt. European and American trends are likely to be very similar.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I'm starting to believe this is the case.

In some respects it would make perfect sense from a purely corporate view: less resources devoted to manage or allocate to a marginal, shrinking market that grows smaller each day in the West, new MMOs releasing they have to worry about launching/running, etc. All the while, they would still have their original main target audience, the East, still paying handsomely for content and happy with the hardcore aspect of leveling and merciless pvp.

A telling sign is that when new players (and some old ones) complained about the constant ganking due to gear/level differences and asked NCSoft to do something to curb it, what was NCSoft's response? Color coding, lol.

As if the people who enjoy ganking and killing players many levels under them would go "Oh, he's a low level target according to his color title. I don't think I'll kill him." Most people in AION just kill you regardless because youare of the opposite faction. You cannot leave something this serious up to "player's discretion" expecting them to "police themselves".

I have a feeling the Eastern market is okay with the level ganking, but Westerners don't like it and many have quit because of not enough controls. (did the AION East market get color coding added when we did? I doubt it)

Having to continually do those types of things to a different market (West) that is not growing (AION is not growing, it's shrinking) is taxing on a company. They'd rather have resources doing things to keep the growing/profitable bases strong; not please the weaker market.

It's almost easier to make a case for NCSoft wanting to shut the West down than to keep it open at times.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

The game got crushed by server merges in the EU as well. It is not the favored game in EU at all where are your facts to support your claim?
  • BademBadem Member Posts: 830

And I still ahve the Aion Collectors set sitting on my shelf, only opened it to get the figure out of it.....

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Obidom

And I still ahve the Aion Collectors set sitting on my shelf, only opened it to get the figure out of it.....

Yea NC Soft did one thing right.. They prolly made the coolest case ever for a video game.. That tin case is awsome.. i still have mine too, even tho i've attempted to sale it on craigslist a few times w/o any luck lol.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

Originally posted by Obidom

Yea NC Soft did one thing right.. They prolly made the coolest case ever for a video game.. That tin case is awsome.. i still have mine too, even tho i've attempted to sale it on craigslist a few times w/o any luck lol.

You have the standard edition which is a tin case...   my version of the game however is a large cardboard box with plenty of junk in it.

And who the hell buys a second hand MMO?!

Or were you trying to sell your account?

Laughing at you for getting zilch for that piss-poor excuse of a game.

And I even bought the collectors edition and played the full game some five days before the rest of you.

Bleh!

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Aion China was dead before the US release last year, I know that b/c alot of us played the chinese version before the US was launched.    There are tons of free asian mmo coming out each year, there is no way for Aion to survive with high pay to play fee so most of the Asia sub are pretty much from Korea only.