Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resolution issues

JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

So, I just came home from vacation, everything worked fine when I left but now when I came back my pcs resolution was reset to 800x600. I have 21,5" monitor and I have always used 1920x1080 resolution and now the highest I can use is 1600x1200 (which is horizontally larger than my old resolution.)

I have tried to reinstall drivers and everything but nothing works. I have Ati HD 4870.

all help is appreciated!

EDIT: I found how I could use "non-supported resolutions" but 1920x1080 is impossible to apply with refresh rate 30hz or higher... week ago it ran fine with 60hz. Please help? :(

Comments

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

Try doing the following :)

1) Uninstall ATI drivers in the FOLLOWING ORDER :)

~Uninstall the ATI CATALYST CONTROL CENTER first, if it asks for reboot..please do.

~Uninstall the ATI Display Drivers.

2) Cleaning out the system.

Download "Driver Sweeper" and make sure that all instances of ATI are gone from the registry and from your system. The problem with installing drivers is that sometimes parts of old drivers get mixed with new drivers and this causes instabilities. This is a sure-fire way to prep your system for a 100% set of new drivers with no mixing. USE OF THIS PROGRAM SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IN SAFE MODE. :)

3) Installation Order :)

If using Windows XP:

~Download the latest version of Direct X9c

Install in the following Order making sure you have cleaned the system before:

~Direct X (make sure its the latest Direct X9c on XP)

~Display Drivers (Make sure they are the latest ATI drivers out from their site)

4) Your Monitor :)

Before you freak out on your monitor itself, you can do one of two things :)

Download the profiles to your monitor and install them. This will cause the driver to be able to identify the resolutions your monitor supports. Chances are what you have now is a basic XP install with just a "plug and play" monitor detected and not the actual monitor itself. Its using the basic Windows Monitor Settings back in a time when Widescreen did not exist.

If you can add in Custom Resolutions or use ATI-TOOLs then add in 1920x1080 @ 60hz and your monitor will work with it.

The reason I told you of all of these steps instead of just step 4 is because you claimed you reinstalled your video card, so if you have mixed drivers now you should make sure its done right to prevent screwups and crashes. ^_^

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Shinami

Try doing the following :)

1) Uninstall ATI drivers in the FOLLOWING ORDER :)

~Uninstall the ATI CATALYST CONTROL CENTER first, if it asks for reboot..please do.

~Uninstall the ATI Display Drivers.

2) Cleaning out the system.

Download "Driver Sweeper" and make sure that all instances of ATI are gone from the registry and from your system. The problem with installing drivers is that sometimes parts of old drivers get mixed with new drivers and this causes instabilities. This is a sure-fire way to prep your system for a 100% set of new drivers with no mixing. USE OF THIS PROGRAM SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IN SAFE MODE. :)

3) Installation Order :)

If using Windows XP:

~Download the latest version of Direct X9c

Install in the following Order making sure you have cleaned the system before:

~Direct X (make sure its the latest Direct X9c on XP)

~Display Drivers (Make sure they are the latest ATI drivers out from their site)

4) Your Monitor :)

Before you freak out on your monitor itself, you can do one of two things :)

Download the profiles to your monitor and install them. This will cause the driver to be able to identify the resolutions your monitor supports. Chances are what you have now is a basic XP install with just a "plug and play" monitor detected and not the actual monitor itself. Its using the basic Windows Monitor Settings back in a time when Widescreen did not exist.

If you can add in Custom Resolutions or use ATI-TOOLs then add in 1920x1080 @ 60hz and your monitor will work with it.

The reason I told you of all of these steps instead of just step 4 is because you claimed you reinstalled your video card, so if you have mixed drivers now you should make sure its done right to prevent screwups and crashes. ^_^

I have Vista. And it seems I have just a "non-PnP monitor" detected. But I'll try what you told there. Thanks.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Jazqa

I have Vista. And it seems I have just a "non-PnP monitor" detected. But I'll try what you told there. Thanks.

You could go into the homepage of the company that made it and download the drivers. I doubt however that you need to do that for things to work.

I remember having to do that from Samsung to be able to use some kind of program from them (I think it was for making colors exactly the same on the screen as it is when you print it out, it was a long time ago). I never heard of a case where windows usual drivers didn't work for the screen.

You could always upgrade to W7, Vista suck. But the above posters steps sounds right, this is very likely to be a driver that messes and ATI driver can be so so, it is not unheard of that they don't uninstall as they should and makes a mess.

Originally posted by Shinami

Finally tried everything and unfortunately, nothing works and the monitor doesn't have drivers :(

I can use 1920x1080 as desktop resolution but any games wont support it.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

If you are on Vista, you have to have Direct X9c Installed as well as Direct X 10.1 installed as well....for the different games out there. I had that very same problem months ago.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

So you can do 1920x1080 @ 30Hz desktop? Try uninstalling the PNP monitor from device manager, unplug the monitor from your PC and plug it back in a few times. Try a different cable.

If you do the driver uninstall without driver sweeper use this method which I have to use to restore Portrait mode when it disappears:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1524417

You can also use Powerstrip to check out the EDID of your monitor and the cached one in the registry Windows uses. From there you can switch or re-read the EDID and try to get it using the correct configuration.

Another thing to try is to delete cached monitor info from registry here which will be reconfigured automatically:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDriversConfiguration

Originally posted by noquarter

So you can do 1920x1080 @ 30Hz desktop? Try uninstalling the PNP monitor from device manager, unplug the monitor from your PC and plug it back in a few times. Try a different cable.

If you do the driver uninstall without driver sweeper use this method which I have to use to restore Portrait mode when it disappears:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1524417

You can also use Powerstrip to check out the EDID of your monitor and the cached one in the registry Windows uses. From there you can switch or re-read the EDID and try to get it using the correct configuration.

Another thing to try is to delete cached monitor info from registry here which will be reconfigured automatically:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDriversConfiguration

I solved the issue by downloading program called MonInfo and it read my monitors EDID (atleast I think it does that). Then I could extract .inf with my monitors info, edid or w/e and use that .inf as "driver" for non-pnp monitor.

Atleast thats what I think I did ^

Thanks for the help, I'm pretty sure your method would've worked and been faster/easier!