Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Critics Praise it, But a Number of Players Have Some Big Complaints About StarCraft II

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Even if all 3 campaigns cost $60.00 each that is still a bargain because most fans will play it for over 5+ years anyway. There have been fans who have played the original for over 8+ years.

2. What is the big deal with lan plan. Oh wait I'm so sorry, you can't hack into your game and give yourself an edge. Sorry but you'll have to play on the same playing field as the masses. Even if you try to cheat  on battlenet you eventually will get busted. Battlenet is very simlple and easy to use and there is an option to form groups with your friends if that is your thing to do.

3. I can understand some wanted something different but why mess with a winning forumula ? How much different can you make a rts game ?

Link: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/1109592p1.html

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

There isn't anything wrong with the game, people who played starcraft 1 a ton are saying 2 isn't enough like it. People who didn't play it that much are saying it's too similar. You can't make both crowds happy. The single player campaign is 15-20 hours long, so it isn't like you aren't getting a full game, you are just getting one with two planned expansions. I enjoy the hell out of SC2, peoples opinions didn't matter in my purchase of it.

• XiroXiro Member UncommonPosts: 118

3. I can understand some wanted something different but why mess with a winning forumula ? How much different can you make a rts game ?

i agree, starcraft worked great. The mechanics (for the most part) were great, its a smooth, established format. Why fix what isn't broken?

The only reason DOWII did "something different" was because they completly changed the way the RTS was to be played. But to keep RTS to its origins, theres only so much you can work with.

$60 for each campaigns is a little painful, but honestly not that harsh~ lol. It could be f2p with chas shop and kill your bank ;D lol

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

hey whats bad about the game?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Seems as tho' he's giving his counter argument to the 3 biggest complaints.

Being 1. The game is seperated to make more cash. 2. The lack of local area network support, internet multiplayer only. 3. That not a lot has changed from 1 to 2.

Which I'll say if that's all people have to pick on. Then good on Blizzard for making another great game.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by eburn

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Seems as tho' he's giving his counter argument to the 3 biggest complaints.

Being 1. The game is seperated to make more cash. 2. The lack of local area network support, internet multiplayer only. 3. That not a lot has changed from 1 to 2.

Which I'll say if that's all people have to pick on. Then good on Blizzard for making another great game.

lol True that. There's a lot of popular franchises like Sid Meier games, most racing games, sports games, and fighting games that barely tweak their formula at all from one release to the next but are loved for it.

I've only heard the 3rd complaint in several reviews. Seems like it's a good game for RTS fans. I'm just not really in to the genre anymore post-AoE2, otherwise I would definitely pick it up regardless of what people say.

* Edited/Self-moderated to remove inaccurate insinuations imo.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    I wish more people would enjoy sc2 for what it is and not ruin their own experiences constantly putting games against eachother.
    Who cares if other rts games are better? Sc2 is fun.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I don't see myself buying SC2 from various reasons:

- No LAN

-price ( how much ?! )

- even worse you have to pay 3 times for the same game

- the whole Real ID idea

- I don't like what happened with Activision and Blizzard see stories of Infinity Ward affair and persona of Mr Kotick.

- I appreciate nice cinematics and  atmohsphere but the plot is weak and cliche ( plus I have to pay 3 times for it )

- the game play itself is just...boring.  The RTS genre is getting stagnant. 

Why do u you guys keep saying you need to pay three times for the same game?
    When mass effect was announced as a trilogy people didn't bitch about getting 1/3 of the game! Why do it with sc2 when each campaign is the size of a standard rts game?

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Because it's Blizzard.. and right now Blizzard has this cult type of following..

When I look at StarCraft 2, I see it only slightly better then Supreme Commander 2, however the later game only recieved a 77 Metacritic number while the Blizzard version gets a 97?  They both have almost identical RTS UI's with 3 factions, storyline and online gameplay.. So why the HUGE difference between a 97 and a 77?  I'm clueless..

• gravenzgravenz Member Posts: 36

After reading this:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

I decided to spend my money on another company. I do not like this Kotick guy, and I may be just one person, but I'm not supporting his company, no matter how awesome his games are reported to be.

Originally posted by Rydeson

Because it's Blizzard.. and right now Blizzard has this cult type of following..
         When I look at StarCraft 2, I see it only slightly better then Supreme Commander 2, however the later game only recieved a 77 Metacritic number while the Blizzard version gets a 97?  They both have almost identical RTS UI's with 3 factions, storyline and online gameplay.. So why the HUGE difference between a 97 and a 77?  I'm clueless..

Supreme commander 2 had and incredibly shitty single player campaign. Meanwhile. Critics are calling sc2 single player epic. Read those reviews they call supreme commanders sp campaign a freaking joke they even go as far as say its inferior to it's predecessor.

That's why it got that score.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Just finished up the last mission in SC2 and all I have to say is, Oh baby the expansions can't get here fast enough!

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Rockgod99

I wish more people would enjoy sc2 for what it is and not ruin their own experiences constantly putting games against eachother. Who cares if other rts games are better? Sc2 is fun.

Haters gotta hate is all.

Same people who blame the man for keep'em down. Except Blizzard has a name.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by SaintViktor

1. Even if all 3 campaigns cost $60.00 each that is still a bargain because most fans will play it for over 5+ years anyway. There have been fans who have played the original for over 8+ years.

2. What is the big deal with lan plan. Oh wait I'm so sorry, you can't hack into your game and give yourself an edge. Sorry but you'll have to play on the same playing field as the masses. Even if you try to cheat  on battlenet you eventually will get busted. Battlenet is very simlple and easy to use and there is an option to form groups with your friends if that is your thing to do.

1. It depends on how much the next 2 campiagns/expansions add doesn't it?If they contians the same amount of content and value as Wings of Liberty in all  modes of paly then I guess there could be an arguement for full price for each.If not then the argue that it should be cheaper is valid...I certianly would agree that Wings of Liberty shipped with enough content to charge full price.

2. LAN play is notihng to do with cheating for most people,it's about getting a bunch of friends in a room to play together/against each other in a fun,social and real environment.That option will now only be available to esport organizers in a special verison of the game to be released int he future.It is a valid complaint for a lot of people evne if it isn't for you.

3. I do agree with this point.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by SaintViktor

1.  29 missions lasting 15-30 minutes each is still only 15 hours or so of gameplay single player.  Value is determined by the individual.

2. I actually go to big lan parties where we do not have an internet feed.  So yes, killing lan parties for the sake of a DRM that WILL GET OVERCOME at the cost of your legitmate consumers is always fail.  I like the idea of DRM as I always pay for games and develop software myself.  I hate pirates too.  But the formula we use hurts legitamte buyers more than the people who pirate.  In fact, some studies show it increases piracy because some DRM is so inconvinient that the priated version is easier to use.

3. A winning formula in 1998 is not necissarily the same as one today.  You will say this here then go tell the old school mmo's that an exact replica of an mmorpg they played years ago with fail using the same logic.  How much different can you make an RTS, go play company of heroes or dawn of war 2.  That's how much different.

I want to say I did flame SC2 when it first came out.  But I have accepted it's not a game for me.  My resonings are logical for not likeing it and based on facts.  However some people like those same facts I dislike, and blizzard did not abandon their player base in making the second game, so I have to give them credit there.

It's a game you love or hate.  A lot of old school RTS's love it.  I am an old school gamer in respects to mmorpg's and I did love sc1, but after playing company of heroes and dawn of war 2 I expected too much innovation from star craft 2 I think.