Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting for a new gamer

DagrikDagrik Member Posts: 22

My wife is just trying to get into gaming.  I've been playing mmo's (with some breaks) since UO first came out.  However, with me being deployed for the last 6 months, I'm not really sure what is going on.

So, what I am wondering is what is a good game for a new mmo player to get into?  She's into fun little games, and the extras.  Adventures, and killin things.  However, she isn't exactly into big twitch games, and she will have to learn how to use a keyboard and mouse simultaneously.  (She's still hooked on mario bros)  I was thinking EQ2, LOTRO, or DDO.  Any other suggestions? 

What do you all think?

Comments

• smilingbobsmilingbob Member Posts: 90

DDO would probably be a good one.

:D

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

All the one's you mentioned sound good.  There's always WoW too.  it's pretty enty-level mmo player friendly.

Steam: Neph

• DagrikDagrik Member Posts: 22

Hadn't thought about Wow.  Could be a good one too.  Which would be the best and why?  I'd like to give her some details about the various games so she can choose the one she finds interesting, or easy to learn, or whatever.

Thank you so far for your responses.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

I was thinking about this the other day.  Trying to find an entry level MMO for someone new to computer gaming.  I would think you would want a game that covers all basics (press WASD to move, because a new person will be completely lost.  Left-click to talk to an NPC with a bubble icon.) 

I have two console gamer friends.  Both tried different games and couldn't get into them.  One tried WoW and found the computer controls to foreign.   He didn't like using the hotbar setup.  The other tried Champions Online.  He played that with a controller and thought it had too much going on, crafting, zones, etc.  Both guys are in their 30s.  I think some people are just more suited to consoles.

Good luck on whatever you find for her.  I would try to find something with a lot of mini-games or something that plays more like a platformer that she is used to playing.

DDO could be a tad complex with allocating stats, using shrines to rest.  Althought if she just picks one of the templates maybe it wouldn't be that bad.  I would be afraid the attack mechanics are a tad more complex than normal mmos.

LOTRO will be F2P soon, so might be worth her checking out then.  At least you wouldn't lose any money.  It does have an intro tutorial for each race that goes over using the controls(how to equip a weapon, how to use skills to kill a monster.)  The starter areas should be full of new people at that time too.

EQ2 is going to a free server soon as well.  Been a while since I played it, but I think it has a tutorial area.  The world is big though and I don't know that it does as good of a job as leading you through areas like LOTRO.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I started out playing Guildwars with my girl. Then we played Darkfall but practiced a bit with Return to Castle Wolfenstein a few days before that to give her the FPS twich-based feel. We have been playing Darkfall for a year now and it is our favorite game (wish she would play Guildwars sometimes with me still) and she still hasn't become a killer PVP player or anything but she rarely dies and plays it more often than I do. There are so many things to do besides PVP for a casual player and once you have been playing for awhile you know a lot more about how to survive. This game is very unpredictable so it can keep us at the edge of our seat at times. In theory, she isn't safe anywhere but she can go a week, 2 weeks, or even a month without dying. I die a hell of a lot more often because I like to PVP.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I'd say LoTRO or WoW.

LoTRO is a fun game with nice slow combat.

WoW is just very friendly to new players.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• fatherdeath7fatherdeath7 Member UncommonPosts: 47

ive played just about every mmorpg ever made... and i hate to say it because i really dont like the game.. but wow is a good one for learning on... its fairly simple and straightforward... can be solo'ed for the most part so that a new player can learn the basic controls at there own pace and start grouping when there ready.. esp if you start on a PVE server... although AOC isnt far behind on the way of simplisity.. and the learning curve is fairly fast as well... i cant say much about lotro because i played it for only 3 months and hated it.. not enough verance in the toons for me...  stay away from DDO and guild wars... theres alot going on there right from the start... its fairly simple for someone who already knows the controls but not very much room for learning the keyboard and mouse setup without dieing to the point of it becomming fustrating