Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System Requirements

WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

Hi all

I just want to know if i can play EQ2 with max setings with this PC

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Memory: 4096MBytes DDR2 (400MHz)

Grafic Card: Nvidea GeForce 9800 GT 512 MBytes GDDR3

How is the population in this game?

Thx for your time

Comments

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by WARCRYtm

Hi all

Thx for your time

You can run this 5 year old game on that fine system.....population - close to zero

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

If you want to set everything to max you will lag in a lot of areas... But, if you follow the guide in this forum to make yourself lag less you should be able to run it fine.

• IceiceIceice Member Posts: 54

Your fine, I play it on a worse system with no problems. 

Population is fine well, I play on the PVP server, and there are people everywhere, all over the place, doing everquest things and PVPing ( you will get ganked a ton 1-20, after that it smooths out ) cant speak for the other servers, but we are alive and kicking hard 

Way more people than Warhammer and definetally way more than Age of Conan. 

There is so much content to this game, and I love the fact that you can stop XP and twink out at multiple levels. 

If you roll on the PVP server post up your in game name ill give a hand starting out

Pimpwars/Cripplesmash/Legend of the Red Dragon/TradeWars 2002/TrollMud/Usurper

Present: Wurm , Fallen Earth

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Originally posted by JestorRodo

Hi all

Thx for your time

You can run this 5 year old game on that fine system.....population - close to zero

The population is definitely not close to zero by any means. Please only comment on what you know. Sure its not as large as World of Warcraft, name me one other western MMO that is.

@OP - I see people on a constant basis, though I am on the most populated server which is the Antonia Bayle server. I've been able to get groups to do dungeon crawls without too much problem. Occasionally we'll have to wait a bit to find a tank or healer, but frankly, I've had that issue in every game, including the "most popular MMO in the megaverse" World of Warcraft.

If you have any interest in the game, give it a go. Theres a free trial, so you can always check that out and see if you like what you're experiencing.

Out of all the MMO's out there, I like the freedom that EQ2 gives you. Theres a lot to do, whether it be collections, dungeon crawling, RPing (if you're into that), raiding, battlegrounds, crafting (which is the best I've ever seen), harvesting, etc. Theres tons to do to keep you occupied.

As far as your rig is concerned, its a decent computer and given the game is five years, it should run fine (not on max by any means - but very few can run max anyway). The game is poorly optimized, thats one of the worst parts about it. Some areas I can run max and some I can, and I definitely have a good PC.

Like I said it has a free trial, give it a go.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Your system ,while very close, is a bit better than what I have and EQ2 runs fine on it. As for population AB is well populated and I beleive ive heard it mentioned that Crushbone also has a good population. No matter how bad a handful of people wish it to be so, EQ2 is nowhere close to going away.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by JestorRodo

Hi all

Thx for your time

Old system, it will run ok but prob not on max systems.

As for population, thats a bunch of crap.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Moirae

I agree that the "next to zero" comment was a blatant exaggeration and entirely untrue, however, there is no denying that the population has certainly seen some drastic drops over the last few years.

Servers that were heavy pop at one time are now low-med at best, and many long time guilds have left the game due to how stagnant it has become as time passed.

EQ2 is a good game, no doubt, but it has definitely seen better days.

Originally posted by Kost

Sadly, I think most MMO's have seen better days. :

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Kost

Originally posted by Moirae

I agree that the "next to zero" comment was a blatant exaggeration and entirely untrue, however, there is no denying that the population has certainly seen some drastic drops over the last few years.

Servers that were heavy pop at one time are now low-med at best, and many long time guilds have left the game due to how stagnant it has become as time passed.

Of course it has. Its an old game. That doesn't mean its empty. I just get tired of hearing people say that over and over again when it blatantly isn't true.

Since the release of EQ2, there has been (of major MMO's) Age of Conan, Aion, Darkfall, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Trek Online, and Spellbourn. And I'm sure I'm missing some major releases in there. There's only so many players, and not many actually joining in. They're going to spread out to the other games, especially since a significant portion of them game hop.

So what.

• UbahNecroUbahNecro Member Posts: 185

Don't roll a toon on AB unless you know what you're getting into.

Sometimes people see RP server and they think it's cute.

When they say RP there, they're serious. There are so many people who will not even bother talking to you unless you are with a purple tag in-character.

Originally posted by UbahNecro

Don't roll a toon on AB unless you know what you're getting into.

Sometimes people see RP server and they think it's cute.

When they say RP there, they're serious. There are so many people who will not even bother talking to you unless you are with a purple tag in-character.

I have absolutely never experienced this and I've been playing on AB since launch.

I've never had a problem talking to anyone and I don't wear a purple tag over my head. Most guilds on AB don't even seem to be RP-oriented. It's not hard to find one that isn't.

Maybe you just know enough people from being there from launch. As a new player, in the newbie areas there were dozens of players who'd just stand there and fail/refuse to respond to anyone that wasn't "in character." Me and my roomate started it together on trial accounts (back when there was that event) and he experienced the same grievances I did.

I don't need to lie about it. It is what it is.

I leveled up to 50+ on that server. It's full of people who do nothing but ignore new players (or insult each other in Level 1_9) or PL each other by mentoring down. Hard to find any low levels to group with. They're either stuck at level 18 or something to farm AA, or they're getting PL'd by guildies mentored down in some dungeon.

Which is boring, cause I did find a guild where a guildmate would mentor down to help us level, but it almost felt like I was tagging behind leaching while be basically soloed everything.

Maybe you just know enough people from being there from launch. As a new player, in the newbie areas there were dozens of players who'd just stand there and fail/refuse to respond to anyone that wasn't "in character." Me and my roomate started it together on trial accounts (back when there was that event) and he experienced the same grievances I did.

I don't need to lie about it. It is what it is.

I leveled up to 50+ on that server. It's full of people who do nothing but ignore new players (or insult each other in Level 1_9) or PL each other by mentoring down. Hard to find any low levels to group with. They're either stuck at level 18 or something to farm AA, or they're getting PL'd by guildies mentored down in some dungeon.

Which is boring, cause I did find a guild where a guildmate would mentor down to help us level, but it almost felt like I was tagging behind leaching while be basically soloed everything.

Actually I don't have any friends that I've known since launch. I met one friend on there that I'm still friends with to this day, though he no longer plays. I've just never experienced any of what you're talking about. People are quite friendly in my experience.

But now with EQ2X, while I'm not happy how it affects the EQ2Live, I have to say, that it will probably be a very good start for new people, because it will keep bringing in new people so that all levels will be fairly populated.

Right now it looks like even I will be moving to that. I wasn't going to at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think it may turn out to be the better option for me in the long run.

But I digress, this is not a topic about EQ2X, it's about system requirements & population and as of this post I think the population on AB is generally friendly, regardless of its RP tag. That's my opinion. I'm sticking with it. :)

Yes. Your opinion. Our actual experiences.

Your reply to me upthread staged it as more than that.

Glad we got that sorted out.

I didn't say they were unfriendly, by the way. Maybe a bit snobbish (at least the ones I've seen), but that's about it.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

I doubt your system can run EQ2 @ max settings. I am not putting down your rig by any means, EQ2's engine was designed for the "next,next-gen" of single-core CPU's...which were never made b/c the industry went multi-core in the "next-gen" and never looked back. SoE never took the time, or invested the cash, to fix this major flaw in their engines design. In their defense though, they would have to almost totally rewrite the engine to change it.

As I said though, EQ2 was designed w/ super-powered single-core proc's in mind that never materialized, and even though they have optimized it, very slightly, to take some of the load of the proc and put it onto the GPU, it is still VERY HEAVILY cpu dependant and only the super-nice, and super-expensive i7's (or maybe the core-duo extremes from last gen) coupled w/ a 480 or 5870 and plenty o' RAM can run the game w/ all settings maxed @ 60fps, anyone who tells you anything different is either lying, or deluded. My system is fairly nice (Phenom II X4 955 BE, 5850 1GB, 4GB DDR3 1600)  and I can only run the game w/ med-high settings @ a steady 30+fps.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

I think that's pretty typical, because that was what Najena was like too, and that was a huge turn off... But keep in mind that it is getting to be an older game, and veterans aren't really there to help/entertain newbies.  They have their own stuff to do. It's unfortunate that there just aren't a lot of first-time through lowbies in the early game, or people looking out for those new people. 

I hope that the Extended thing brings more people to the regular servers at lower levels, because I'd like to play again. (And I was looking at the matrix for EQ2X and it looks like getting a regular subscription is a better deal if you're in for the long haul.)