Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is this idiot bragging about?

13»

Comments

• MoparMopar Member UncommonPosts: 26

Lol Raist, getting the fanboi's fired up.  

Healage

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Sevenwind

I'm sorry Hagonbok, it's just a game. Vote with your wallet. Raging on the forums is pointless. I am a winner! I pick a game/s I have fun with and enjoy. It it's fun then it gets my money. I'm sorry the game didn't work out for you.

As for AOC I have no problems finding groups for dungeons and the guild I'm in does weekly raids with no shortages. Population is fine. Could it be better, of course. As long as I'm able to find groups and do a few dungeons I'm happy and it will get my money.

Find a game and go have fun! Geez. Then you too can be a winner!

It isn't pointless. Thinking like that is precisely why ripoff artist companies like Cryptic think they can get away with this crap. They're still confident that enough idiots will play any piece of garbage offered up to them, and those same idiots will tell others "just hush, it's just a game, move on".  The thing is, soon these same idiots will be the ones lamenting about the sorry state of mmos and how there's no value for the money spent anymore, if they aren't already.

It is all about voting with your wallet, but it's also warning people off having to waste their hard earned money too, and most importantly contributing to sending a message to these scam artists at Craptic, and any other bunch that's thinking of pulling the same type of thing.

So I'll continue to do my part, and I'll support anyone else that's doing their part too. It's the only protection our fellow mmo gamers have out there atm. In fact given your perfect example of the ignorance of some out there regarding support of shoddy gaming companies and the damage it does, you've just cemented my resolve to ramp up my efforts evn more in  getting the word out to avoid Cryptic at any cost actually.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Well best of luck to you Hagonbok on your crusade. Maybe you can get something like a PAC going with similar ragers and preach the injustice you think you were dealt. I'll tend to believe people have enough common sense to grab the trial and see if he game or any game is worth paying and playing for rather than listen to rage quiters and over confident fans in forums. In the end it's still opinion and people like different things.

Best of luck on that mission of yours. If you get bumper stickers made or billboards out let me know and take some good pictures for us to see.

Have a good weekend.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• gholstongholston Member Posts: 83

Well best of luck to you Hagonbok on your crusade. Maybe you can get something like a PAC going with similar ragers and preach the injustice you think you were dealt. I'll tend to believe people have enough common sense to grab the trial and see if he game or any game is worth paying and playing for rather than listen to rage quiters and over confident fans in forums. In the end it's still opinion and people like different things.

Best of luck on that mission of yours. If you get bumper stickers made or billboards out let me know and take some good pictures for us to see.

Have a good weekend.

Ask the lifetime sub buyers if this logic holds true.

Originally posted by gholston

Have a good weekend.

Ask the lifetime sub buyers if this logic holds true.

People could have easily gotten into open beta and made a decision if it was worth the money to purchase a lifetime sub. A lot of questions should be asked to yourself, Am a power gamer and run out of content in a month? Am  I a casual gamer enough to satisfy me till next season is in? You know you best, and you should know if the game is worth your money for a lifetime sub. In my opinion...

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

I almost bought STO for the space combat alone. That's how much I loved it.

The reason I didn't buy it is the ground combat. That ground combat honestly feels like a punishment. I completely avoided missions solely because of of this, which I felt was taking out a major portion of the game. I couldn't justify paying for a game when I wasn't playing half the game.

Until they tell me the ground combat is completely different, I'll never subscribe.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by rawidema

Welcome to the club then Dinen.

I have been talking about STO's problems and the few things they have gotten right in these forums since the game launched. Unfortunately for STO, the former far outnumber the latter. You on the other hand popped in here and twisted what Raistalin69 said so that it would mean what you wanted it to; in fact he was merely stating that you should be wary of a game where the overall response is negative, but you should still make up your own mind. If you cannot honestly debate STO's pros and cons, then that makes you part of the game's problems as well and I have no problem pointing out your hypocrisy. As I said before, we get your type in here on a regular basis.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

I'll tend to believe people have enough common sense to grab the trial and see if he game or any game is worth paying and playing for rather than listen to rage quiters and over confident fans in forums. In the end it's still opinion and people like different things.

I'm confidant that anyone with even reasonable intelligence would by now be asking themselves if the game is supposedly ok, just why some people feel the need to try and discredit those that are trying to warn others off of it. If the game was any good at all, wouldn't people just be confident that nothing any of us say will matter and ignore us? I'd say that the fact that people can't do that, and every so often we see a couple of people come from out of the blue to post here and attack us and the points we make, speaks louder than any of us could.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

People could have easily gotten into open beta and made a decision if it was worth the money to purchase a lifetime sub. A lot of questions should be asked to yourself, Am a power gamer and run out of content in a month? Am  I a casual gamer enough to satisfy me till next season is in? You know you best, and you should know if the game is worth your money for a lifetime sub. In my opinion...

Powergamers hit max level in 3-4 days. Normal players in a week or so, casuals in 2-3 weeks.

After that, it was dailys, only.

I hit level 17 in a day and a half during the beta. Anyone playing the beta would have realized very quickly that the amount of content in there was pathetically small. Or people were hoping for some miracle patch once the game went live. Or they wanted some of the (not so exclusive) preoder bonuses. Or, they wanted the discount for the lifetime sub, which was $240 until launch.

Regardless, they got jacked. And I don't feel a bit of pity, they did it to themselves.

P.S. If you scan Ebay, you can find people selling lifetime subs now and again, the last one I saw sold for $50 or so.

Originally posted by Hagonbok

I'll tend to believe people have enough common sense to grab the trial and see if he game or any game is worth paying and playing for rather than listen to rage quiters and over confident fans in forums. In the end it's still opinion and people like different things.

I'm confidant that anyone with even reasonable intelligence would by now be asking themselves if the game is supposedly ok, just why some people feel the need to try and discredit those that are trying to warn others off of it. If the game was any good at all, wouldn't people just be confident that nothing any of us say will matter and ignore us? I'd say that the fact that people can't do that, and every so often we see a couple of people come from out of the blue to post here and attack us and the points we make, speaks louder than any of us could.

I'm not attacking you. I said go ahead and tell everyone how you felt STO let you down and Cryptic is a bad company. Go for it, do it till it makes you bored. ...I don't care... Hagonbok go to just about any forum on this site and look you'll see negative posts about that game. This site has more negative posts about games than positive ones.

I think you are far from the voice of reason. Speak your opinion, I'm all for it. But at the end of the day... there are still a lot of people that enjoy and play STO. If that ruffles your britches then I'm very sorry.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

this has been shown by several people hagonbok. they keep using personal attacks or general slander to try to defend sto. id say let that get sorted out by the mmorpg moderators. several of the cdf are now banned from this site due to there insults.  ive asked many of the sto supporters to state why the game is good, worth buying and then subscribing too, the response is generally (not always) a rude post about haters.

honestly, if the best defence against criticism of this game is "your a hater", it really speaks to the quality and content in sto.

like i said, just keep telling the truth and let the cdf work themselves into fits until they get banned (mopar 63 and attacko come to mind). after all these forums are for discussion of the mmo genre, both good and bad.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

i'm gonna go on and say it as a trek fan, fanboys will never be pleased. STo is made out to be this gigantic dung pile and frankly it isnt. DO i love the game NO, do I know alot of fans who love the game YES. What i'm really tired of are the add " hardcore" mmo people who burn through content in a maraton of play and then gripe for months about how a game has no content. Lets get something straight...you are the MINORITY of the gaming community. The average player isn't nearly as disappointed with content as you guys are, mostly because you boast about the great mmo you guys would make and yet....what exactly have you dont to make that happen?

so say we all

I think you are far from the voice of reason. Speak your opinion, I'm all for it. But at the end of the day... there are still a lot of people that enjoy and play STO. If that ruffles your britches then I'm very sorry.

Yet you keep posting in a tone intended to mock, with the underlying intent to paint any that speak out about the game's many many shortcomings as somehow unreliable and/or irrational. Obviously you feel what we have to say can in fact have an impact and want to silence it, otherwise you wouldn't have even bothered posting your attacks in the first place (and they are attacks. It's always comical watching little ones play at being clever and feigning innocence believing they've veiled their attacks well enough).

The Cryptic shill doth protest too much, methinks.

I keep posting in a tone intended to mock? Whose the one calling me ignorant and little one, cryptic shill? I never said don't speak out. SPEAK OUT, voice your opinion...like I said I don't care. Do it! I don't want to silence anything. SPEAK MAN SPEAK! Go for it! Do what you gotta do to get the word out STO sucks and Cryptic is the devil. All you're doing is making yourself look like a troll.

If you think my posts are attacks wow. Wow! Hey guess what you are a winner this time. I'm done with this conversation. Thanks for sharing your opinion. Have a good weekend.

Originally posted by cylon8

i'm gonna go on and say it as a trek fan, fanboys will never be pleased. STo is made out to be this gigantic dung pile and frankly it isnt. DO i love the game NO, do I know alot of fans who love the game YES. What i'm really tired of are the add " hardcore" mmo people who burn through content in a maraton of play and then gripe for months about how a game has no content. Lets get something straight...you are the MINORITY of the gaming community. The average player isn't nearly as disappointed with content as you guys are, mostly because you boast about the great mmo you guys would make and yet....what exactly have you dont to make that happen?

Well said. I agree 100%.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by cylon8

The average player spends about 4-6 hours per session gaming. The 'hardcore' as you put it hit the end in three days. The average player hit it in one week. Most casuals hit the end in two or three weeks, unless they were intentionally slowing down their levelling (kept rerolling, spent most time chatting or such instead of actually playing, etc.). By your definition, they are all 'hardcore,' and only the ones who only play a couple hours per week are the 'average?' Sorry to break the news to you, but those people are by no means the average player. 

Given that Jack stated they would consider 150,000 players a success at launch, and that they stated they had far more than they thought they would (conservative estimates put the initial number of players around 250,000 - 300,000, which feels right to me), Jack coming out and saying they had 'well over' 100,000 (again, realistic estimates put that anywhere from 110,000 - 140,000), means that they lost from half to two-thirds of their playerbase; I'd say the average player of STO was indeed disappointed with the game, otherwise they'd still be there.

Finally, as to what have we done to help? For starters myself and others (I know Hagon was there) were in closed beta, and repeatedly tried to tell Cryptic about all the problems. Not only were we reporting the bugs, but we also left numerous comments in the beta forums detailing all the various problems (and in many cases giving suggestions on how to fix them). Players continued to make posts on the official forums after launch stating the problems with the game, and quite often offered suggestions to fix the problems, until Cryptic decided to start being heavy handed in their moderation of any post which didn't heap glowing praise upon the game. What have you done to make STO better?

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Dinendae

Finally, as to what have we done to help? For starters myself and others (I know Hagon was there) were in closed beta, and repeatedly tried to tell Cryptic about all the problems. Not only were we reporting the bugs, but we also left numerous comments in the beta forums detailing all the various problems (and in many cases giving suggestions on how to fix them). Players continued to make posts on the official forums after launch stating the problems with the game, and quite often offered suggestions to fix the problems, until Cryptic decided to start being heavy handed in their moderation of any post which didn't heap glowing praise upon the game. What have you done to make STO better?

There are many lol moments in this thread and I might comment on those once I have more time but I will stick with the last one.

Do you seriously think being in beta and 'spaming' forums with random ideas and enforcing your own 'shoulds' is helping anything?

They did not listen to my awesome suggestions thus I will rage and spam every forum with STO content.

Children of the basement? Dunno, but it indeed shows lack of respect and ability to deal with others. It is not mature, it is not constructive, it is just pointless and childish.

Emo ragers who are disappointed that the game was not made up to their suggestions and expectations are unable to comprehend that the game is not and will not be the way they want and that it does not make the game bad.

What is a problem requiring addressing for one, is golden for someone else and the game was made for those 'else'.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Dinendae

There are many lol moments in this thread and I might comment on those once I have more time but I will stick with the last one.

Do you seriously think being in beta and 'spaming' forums with random ideas and enforcing your own 'shoulds' is helping anything?

They did not listen to my awesome suggestions thus I will rage and spam every forum with STO content.

Children of the basement? Dunno, but it indeed shows lack of respect and ability to deal with others. It is not mature, it is not constructive, it is just pointless and childish.

Emo ragers who are disappointed that the game was not made up to their suggestions and expectations are unable to comprehend that the game is not and will not be the way they want and that it does not make the game bad.

What is a problem requiring addressing for one, is golden for someone else and the game was made for those 'else'.

See, now the johnny-come lately shoots off his mouth without having a clue. Most of what Dinendae is talking about was stuff that Cryptic asked for input on, and acknowledged was wrong with the game. They just didn't bother to fix anything before launch, and have only fixed a tiny portion since. They had some arbitrary launch date set before closed beta even began for crying out loud. 

Everyone was pretty much left wondering just what the hell they had held a closed beta for in the first place given that it quickly became clear that they weren't going to fix any of the glaring problems, and address the clear lack of content, before release.

It has nothing to do with people upset that the game wasn't made up to their suggestions or expectations. Cryptic didn't even come close to producing a game that met THEIR OWN SUGGESTIONS AND EXPECTATIONS, but still released the game anyway and drove off 3/4 of the people that bought the game.

They also lied through their teeth throughout the development, beta, and then post release. Always "we're going to have this you wait and see... just wait...ok now spend your money and keep waiting....k wait some more...you still waiting? Good good...spend some more money, it'll be here soon....ok wait some more....." etc etc etc, and it's still that way with them.

Or they announced features that would be part of the game, fell silent on those features until just a few short weeks before release, began to hint that something was up, and then pulled the rug straight from under people that were mainly there for 18 months specifically for those precise features on release day AFTER people had bought the game. Those people came into the game and went "ummmm where is it?" and all they got was "It'll be there...you just wait..." like I mentioned above, and with most of that those people are still waiting.

Contrary to what some would suggest, comparatively very few got in beta, and we that did knew that a lot were buying life time subs based on the lies Cryptic were feeding them, but our voices were silenced by the NDA. We respect their right to have that NDA, but it meant that we had to sit there reading Cryptic BSing people and weren't able to tell people that it was all smoke and mirrors.

So ya, go ahead and support Cryptic. I hope you feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that you're supporting such a rotten company that doesn't think twice about INTENTIONALLY ripping people off.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I believe that a LOT of Cryptics troubles can be credited to the very short dev time allowed for this game.

It recieved about as much... if not less dev time than a single player console game.

Cryptic got a hold of this IP in 2008 people.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Online

Perpetual closed its doors and cryptic got a hold of it in 2008.  Cryptic didnt use any of what perpetual had already done (im not sure if perpetual even had that much done anyway).  So pretty much.... STO was developed from scratch in 2008 using the same or a very very similar engine as what Champions online uses, and released in 2010. 

STO needs to be remade by another comapany with a much better engine, and with the financial muscle and developing know how. 

I think that Stahl has his work cut out for him.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

This thread has gone downhill fast, please remember our Rules of Conduct (found in my signature below) when posting. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.