Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to decide on which MMORPG to play

elistrangeelistrange Member Posts: 157

Presently, I am playing EVE, I enjoy it, and I like the thoughtfulness of the game. However, I also enjoy just bashing heads in PVP, and good PVE content. 

EVE is great, but I am looking for another game for when I feel mindless killing is in order.

I have room in my budget for one more MMORPG.  I presently have WOW, WAR, CO, and Pirates of the Burning Sea. None are on sub though.  

This is the way I see it.

WoW--I have played for two years have two level 80's, one was raiding regular 25 man ICE CROWN, the other i just mined with. Raiding was fun sometimes. I liked being good at what I did, however, being a dps glass cannon warlock, got to be boring. I didn't have to really think in the game. In my experience. 

I had priest healer that I was leveling...and was just doing the Dungeon FINDer and leveling that way. However, as a healer at low levels ...healing is soooo freaking boring in WOW. I enjoy three BGs in WOW and the others are meh. The questing experience is okay. There were a few quest lines that were pretty awesome in WOW, but the majority were okay but not memorable. The graphics are pretty good IMO. Nothing awe inspiring but everything looks nice. In my experience. 

After leveling two characters to 80, plus a DK to 80, and three other toons to over level 30...I am tired of it. I know there are players that have uber more 80's, been playing since BETA and have never tired of it. But I am not one of those people. Overall, WOW is pretty solid, but I am burned out. 

WAR--I like the RVR of course. I like playing a shaman, i can heal my mates and attack stuff at the same time. I like this. I enjoy playing as a team accomplishing a goal. I also enjoy the darker theme of WAR. I have not raided in WAR yet, but I have also heard that it is basically non-existent. In my experience.

The endless free trial is really quite cool, and I am taking advantage of that right now. WAR seems to appeal very well to the casual pvp'r.  The quests seem to be okay. I have not had any really cool quests yet in Tier 1. The graphics are better in WAR, but it is a little jerky. In my experience. 

Champions Online-- I like the look and the graphics in this game, and my computer can handle it very well. The PVE is pretty cool, and I enjoy the missions okay. The random missions are pretty good, and i like it when a citizen approaches you and offers you a quest. So far, I have grouped in this game only on a few occasions, but it doesn't seem like people like to group in CO. Again, just in my experience.  

I have not raided in this game yet, and I have heard from the forums that party imbalances are pretty crazy, and people waiting for healers all day.  I also don't enjoy being stuck in just a few places. The game isn't that expansive. WOW is very expansive, and at level one you could run anywhere...might take you a while but you could do it.

Pirates of the Burning Sea--I enjoy this game. I have a history background, and like the setting. However, it is more of a EVE style game set in the Caribbean. If I wasn't playing EVE, I might play this...but it doesn't qualify as mindless killing. However, the Ship to Ship battles, and fighting on the seas is pretty cool. I used to be in a Corp/guild that used to bring me along taking bigger ships out. The community was nice overall. But, I don't see this happening.

Basically, I would just like your opinion on which game out of the above four games you would suggest playing. 

Currently Play: ?
Occasionally Play: Champions, Pirates of the Burning Sea, WOW, EVE ONLINE

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

If you need to play another MMO that means you should not be playing Eve. One good mmo is all a person needs.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by Mannish

If you need to play another MMO that means you should not be playing Eve. One good mmo is all a person needs.

Some people need more than one.  Not everyone is the same.

Just the same as some people make one character and stick with it forever, others need alts.

Wish I had a recommendation for you OP, maybe look at Global Agenda, I am considering it, hahaha.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Honestly man, there are a lot of haters that will talk bad about the game and most of them don't even play anymore.  But, you should sub to WAR, the game is progressing and of course it still has things that need working out, but it is very fun as of right now.  PvE is lacking, but  to be honest I have fun with the PvE.  There are some good instances to raid endgame and I enjoy them, also there are hidden lair bosses throughout the world.  Yet, the main draw of the game is the RvR, and things are doin good.  T2 and T3 are getting boosts with Skaven mobs that will be raiding war camps and battlefield objectives which will reward with high xp, and create environments for warband's to contend over the mobs and each other.  This is to help fix the powerleveling problem where people go to the Land of the Dead and grind mobs or champs all the way to T4, also to fix this they are disabling anyone under the lvl 32 from going to the Land of the Dead.  This is coming in the next patch which is currently on the test servers.  The city raids and defenses are really fun if you actually get even ammounts of Destro and Order.  Supposedly they have something big to announce at the end of the summer, so maybe it might be a third faction or new races.  Also, if you do sub, make sure you roll on Badlands.  From everyting I hear there is tons and tons of action on that server at the t4 level.  I am on Iron Rock which isn't doing too bad itself, but its not as packed as Badlands from what I hear.  Anyways, you should definitely try it out and see what you think. 

• elistrangeelistrange Member Posts: 157

Thank you Ward. I have been looking at WARS Dungeons, and I have to say that I also collect Warhammer (the table top). The Dungeons look pretty good, and as I mentioned before I enjoyed the RVR scene. 

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Originally posted by Mannish

Some people need more than one.  Not everyone is the same.

Just the same as some people make one character and stick with it forever, others need alts.

Wish I had a recommendation for you OP, maybe look at Global Agenda, I am considering it, hahaha.

Global Agenda is fun, I have a trial character maxed at lvl 15.  I'm waiting for the war zones to come in before I decide to buy the game or not. 

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122

Vanguard...play 14 day free trail nothing to loose.

Right as I log in, I click the WAR report to find out where the action is. I go to Eataine, and there are humongous battles going on!  Lol, I would definitely give it a try man, especially if 1.3.6 brings a lot of players back.  Like at least 250 people.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Just wait for an owpvp non-consensual non-tab targeting mmo game to come out that has less to do with gearscore.

One just might be around the corner......maybe.

will just have to wait and see...and maybe hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpmCygKDVw0&feature=player_embedded

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Tera does look impressive. However, the panda bear fox thingy kinda put this game in cutesy realm for me. Which is fine for some people, however, I don't enjoy cutesy. I like dark and brooding. 

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I'd save your budget for some of the newer MMOs coming out later this year and next.  Final Fantasy XIV is only a little over a month and a half from releasing if that game interests you, but there is also Rifts, Guild Wars 2, Tera, SW:TOR and others over the horizion.  Maybe WoW's Cata will renew your interest in WoW too, who knows?

WoW is good choices to return to if you are dead set.  You won't find much new to do in WoW though, it's pretty much the same old game with maybe a few new raid dungeons here and there that are nothing special.  I think Blizzard is running out of ideas and class balancing is getting worse with each patch.

War is a good choice also.  I found the game pretty fun, but a few things kept me from playing it for too long.  The grinds were very excessive in the game and the public quests were a great idea, but poorly implemented.  The dungeon bosses weren't particularly interesting either.  When I was playing there was no incentive for defending open world PvP objectives so we just played a game of what we called "Musical Keeps" where we intentionally avoided fighting the other in other to get loot the quickest possible way and just traded keeps back and forth.  I heard this was fixed a long while ago and the game released much more content.  I found the Tome of Knowledge unlocks to be an interesting and fun game mechanic too.  If I had to make the decision between those four, I'd definitely return to War over the others.  

You don't need to raid in Champions Online.  You can solo all the raid content with the proper build.  Unless they fixed that... who knows.  I went through all the content on the game's release including the dungeons meant for full groups and a few "raid" bosses solo minus one T-rex type boss I couldn't kill.  Personally I found the game to be lacking especially once you get to the end game - it has a lot of problems.

Haven't tried Pirates of the Burning Sea, but haven't heard good things about it either.

Have you considered Age of Conan too?

• robalecarobaleca Member Posts: 45

In my experience, you say "in my experience" way too much. In my experience.

I'd save your budget for some of the newer MMOs coming out later this year and next. 

I have been thinking of just waiting and see what comes out, and you are right that there are quite a few games on the horizon that are looking pretty good. I am interested in GW 2 simply because I listened to an interview about their idea about group play. STWOR looks nice also. I am also looking forward to Black Prophecy and JG-Evolution, however, both of those games are a ways off.  

Originally posted by robaleca

In my experience, you say "in my experience" way too much. In my experience.

I didn't want to piss people off if i offended their favorite game. I have found that you can piss people off fairly easily in chat forums...in my experience. 

Really I dont think there are any *great MMO's out right now. Sure alot of them are decent or alright, but WoW is the only one that can be good, if you're new to it. But in your  case and my case as well, its an old game and hopefully 2011 wont be a dissappointment like 2010. JGE, TERA, SWTOR, GW2, and that mmo by 38 studios all look like they can be  good. Who knows? Thats what people said when AOC, WAR, and Aion were about to be released as well.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i would wait for the new MMO's like GW2, Tera, Rift, and TOR.  i've been looking for a new MMORPG also and decided to wait.  so i would try global agenda, it should keep you busy for a few months.  it's only $40 and the warzone is comming out soon which should be pretty cool.  maybe try a F2P MMO to hold you over.

Originally posted by elistrange

Tera does look impressive. However, the panda bear fox thingy kinda put this game in cutesy realm for me. Which is fine for some people, however, I don't enjoy cutesy. I like dark and brooding. 

Well now you are in the realm of cosmetics and fluff with that statement....pvpers really don't care about that sort of thing or do they?   Why limit your self, after all YOU did play wow.

After all is said and done, it really all comes down to gameplay.....right!

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

About Global Agenda, I got it thinking its more  MMO than third person shooter, but its the other way around. Its still fun to play in the mean time while there arent any mmos, but to who ever is thinking of getting it, i hope you like TF2 gameplay because its similar to that.

"Well now you are in the realm of cosmetics and fluff with that statement....pvpers really don't care about that sort of thing or do they?   Why limit your self, after all YOU did play wow."

I would not consider myself a hardcore pvp player. I enjoy it, but it is not why I play MMORPGs. And for me...graphics do matter. 

Yes they do and that is why I never played wow for no more than 2 weeks....that and other things you already pointed out.

Seeing that in the next batch of mmos alot are UE3 and CE2, that graphics will be pretty good.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I play EVE and LotRO. EVE for the same reasons as you (though I'm still hesitant to really get into PvP - maybe when I'm right, right?) and LotRO to relax and immerse myself in quests and Hobbit nonsense. Basically, I play EVE to get pissed off and LotRO to relax.