Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO to be a crafter?

DeriumsDeriums Member Posts: 38

I've been rather bored with online games for a while now. I played Ultima Online from 1997 until recently (but in 2003 they destroyed the game). I have tried a lot of the games when they come out, but nothing really hold smy attention... anyways.

I enjoy being a crafter, in UO a crafter was a great job. The options were huge, it took a lot of time, it was great money and not everyone had it in them to make a crafter (unlike WoW, where everyone has professions).

So what are my options now? I'm looking for a game where being a dedicated crafter is fun again!

any ideas?

Thanks!

-Derium

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Check out Fallen earth.

• KrisConwayKrisConway Member UncommonPosts: 10

I 2nd the statement above; check out Fallen Earth. Hardcore crafting. O.O

• DeriumsDeriums Member Posts: 38

downloading it now.

however, is it the type of game where everyone is a crafter to a degree? Or are crafters needed as a backbone of sorts?

• marowitmarowit Member UncommonPosts: 268

Have you consireder EVE? Everything on the market is player made, from the first bullets to the biggest ships.

REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS AND REGRET THEY HAVE PASSED.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Wurm

ATitD

Mortal Online

SWG... back in the day

Fallen Earth was ok for crafting, but it's totally "hands off". You just set a queue and wait it out. The one's listed above have the best crafting systems I've seen to date. The resource acquisition in FE is very good though, there's nothing like salvaging a random wrecked car for parts, but Wurm still blows it out of the water by dynamically chopping down trees and clearing rooms out in mines.

~and not *everything* in the market of EVE is player made, I have no idea how people assume that. Most things are placed on a specific station through an algorhythm.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• striker09dxstriker09dx Member UncommonPosts: 197

Well, this game heavily relies on crafting. (Gears, ammo, mounts...)

While everyone has to craft to be quite efficient, no one actually level up all the crafting categories.

I'm only lv13, but took some ammo crafting+firearms crafting to get along my rifleman character.  Crafting + gathering mats get u exp. So you might lvl up as fast as a pure mob grinder.

But the thing is, you can't be just crafting. You have to take some steps into the fight.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Fallen Earth

SWG...still

Originally posted by Deriums

however, is it the type of game where everyone is a crafter to a degree? Or are crafters needed as a backbone of sorts?

At some point you pretty much *have to* start using player-crafted stuff because the vendors stop handling the good stuff. Any one crafter character can make everything there is to make though, so there is no specializations once you choose to go crafter.

@above guy

without decay in SWG to make crafters *needed*, I cannout vouch that it is "still" a good game for crafters. You'll make your own stuff, but not be able to get rid of anything to others, should they already have everything they need. It's fubar now.

I suppose I could start an EVE account, and just forget about it while the skill points grow haha. Good idea though on that.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

I've never played it, but Ryzom always seems to come up as a great crafting game in threads like this.  Maybe someone who has played it here can give you more insight.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I didn't get really far in fallen earth.

Basically everyone in fallen earth is a crafter.  Everyone can craft basic/intermediate armor, ammo, food, gun. 

For example at lvl11 now I can level every tradeskill to a max cap of "44".  And everytime I level, my tradeskill cap increase.  So at lvl12 I can level my tradeskill to like "46".

So anyone can actually craft something in every tradeskill to a certain point.  So at lvl50 everyone can craft things in every tradeskill up to "120".

But if you want to craft something over 120.  For example a gun which require a tradeskill of 160, you need to invest points in intelligent and perception.  And everytime you invest points in intelligent and perception your "tradeskill cap" increase.  The drawback is if you invest points in intelligent and perception, you become less of a fighter.  You won't combat as good.

My suggestion if you really want to be a crafter is don't worry investing points in intelligent, perception early.  Use your points to be a better fighter early.  And spend points on intelligent/perception latter.

Originally posted by Mazin

I've never played it, but Ryzom always seems to come up as a great crafting game in threads like this.  Maybe someone who has played it here can give you more insight.

Ryzom is a great game, I should have listed it on the last page.

You basically collect materials through killing things or excavation to build basically *everything* in the game, very good combat system too, where you can make custom actions. Excavating is kind of boring alone, but a blast in groups, because while one person harvests - another can do various things from prevent early collapse of the site, repairing it (fairly sure) and keeping toxic fumes from coming out. There are lots of tasks you can handle while excavating, and it really shines in a group element.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

Ironic you should ask. :)

A lot of comments from folks on crafting.

http://www.massively.com/2010/07/31/the-daily-grind-which-mmo-has-the-best-crafting/

I liked the crafting depth in Aion, definitely a lot to collect. Suppose this is my first choice for current releases.

Eve probably is the most rewarding because of the way you can impact or even control a market - not sure how to get started these days there.

Vanguard was very good too, definitely a game within a game. LOTRO wasn't bad, but doing the guilds became too tedious for the reward to me.

• jpjibfestjpjibfest Member Posts: 7

wait for final fantasy 14 . i play in the beta and it's the deepest crafting system i ever seen Ive been playing mmos for about 7 years now i'd say it's on par with EVE . with the retails there'll probabley be '' recipe '' but right now we gotta figure ourself what ingredients we need to craft somthing its try-error and collective knowledge you often see in chat '' anyone knows a recipe for a level 5-15 sword ? theres just thousands of options . they also made  '' crafting '' classes not just 2nd options, you can pretty much just play a crafter if you want to.  you should read on it. plus the game is just awesome and the community is much more mature than most mmos.

Doh! I didn't know that was posted today, sorry!

As for FFXIV, they actually have a crafting class?? Hrm, I'm liking that. I will admit I wasn't a big fan of crafting in FFXI though =(

as for the other games I've tried crafting:

Ultima Online, hands down the best crafting EVER to me. The depth, the demand and not to mention the fame/gold. But they killed what I loved of it back in 2003.

Dark Fall: they hyped the game to be the next UO so much, I just couldn't get into the game at all.

EVE: saw I needed to wait a looong time until I could get skills to make things, I was impatient and left (plus I love solo play, you really need a good Corp at later crafting levels I hear).

Lord of the Rings: Just flat didn't like the crafting system

Aion: I spent many many hours gathering/crafting, and it was fun at first. but quickly lost the fun.

WoW: That's not even considered crafting, it's waaay too cut and dry.

Global Agenda: fail

Entropia Universe: longest, most real life money grind ever...

wow crafting is actually fun for me.  But it's only fun when you have 6 alt, 2 accounts and be able to craft everything.

Back in the burning crusade days, I'd spend a few hours a day doing nothing but crafting/disenchanting, and putting things in auction house.

But if you only have 1 toon and 2 profession, it's a bit too limit.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

I'm pretty excited for FF14 crafting as well. Thinking Weaver or Alchemist to start.

52 days, 19 hours to go image

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

I'd have to say Vanguard or SWG have the best crafting.

I didn't play ff11.  But you can only learn 1 or 2 profession in FF14 right? that seemed a bit limit to me.

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

I'd give the vote to Vanguard, Try the 14 day trial.

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

Originally posted by JT

I'd have to say Vanguard or SWG have the best crafting.

I was going to say the same thing. Good call.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Vanguard definitely has the best crafting I've ever encountered.  Put it this way, normally I never bother with crafting because it's so perfunctory in most games, but with VG it's like a whole minigame.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Repeat after me.....Ryzom Online, Ryzom Online.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

Ryzom Online, Vanguard, Star Wars galaxie and if they ever succed, Mortal online lol.

• Netgamer7kNetgamer7k Member Posts: 62

Setting up your own shop as a crafter in the original SWG was golden.

Aion's crafting system is dull and grindy, but setting up your personal little shop anywhere you want is very cool while you were AFK.

I like having more than just listing items that I crafted on a auction house or spamming it in a global channel.