Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any games with Skills not reliant on Levels?

zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Are there any (good) f2p games out there that have a skill system where you develop a battle skill by using it, rather than just getting it when you go up a level?

Thank's for replying!

Comments

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

I guess darkfall would be your safest bet.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

F2P? I'd have to say no.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Face of Mankind has a free-to-play contigent, but you can't get past rank 1 (rank, not levels - there are no stats to gain) or have an apartment. It's an FFA shooter that requires skill (or aimbot, lol) and all the gear is fairly static in output, so you can go with what you like. Just pick the right faction for your personality type, or you *will* hate the game. Chances are you'll end up hating the LED (player cops) either way.

~and before you have a chance to say "people use aimbot? ewwww, nvm.", only a single merc cell of known cheaters does, the rest don't. It's no different than APB or your average CoD game, very few people actually cheat, but it does happen.

I didn't really read the OP, "derp" on my part.

Games like Mortal Online, Darkfall, UO, Wurm and Entropia do the skill-up system, but like Hyperion said below me - it's just macro central usually. Wurm and Entropia are the only things close to F2P though, the former having an infinite free trial server, and the latter... well, I really don't know how to explain that one. You prolly won't get anything done without putting *some* money in.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Problem is such a skill system is way open to abuse. As an example EvE used to have a level skill by using it system. It was removed very quickly due to the macro based exploits used such as auto shooting an asteroid overnight while sleeping to gain wepon based skilling. Or auto warping between locations for navigation skills.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

Runescape?