Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Buffing

VxarVxar Member Posts: 58

Just to start, I've never played FFXI but I've been looking forward to FFXIV for a bit now.  My question is this, is there a buffing system and how does it work?

Assuming there is a way to buff others (lets just say an HP buff as an example), do they have to be in a party with you, or can you just throw random buffs onto people as you pass by, regardless of them being grouped or not?

Obviously, some of you may not know unless you're in the beta, but I suppose comparing to how the buffing system in FFXI works will do for now.  It'd likely be a good indicator as to which way they plan to go with it (group only or not).

Thanks to anyone who can answer this!

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

It'll be similar to FFXI in that some can only be cast on yourself, some in a PT only, and others still that can be cast on anyone!

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

FFXI had many buffs that hit your whole party or could only hit party members, though there were some basic ones like Protect and Shell that could be cast on anyone. You can check out a list of spells/abilities for each class here: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html

It would be a pretty safe bet to assume that many abilities will be used for your own group, because most of the combat classes so far are physical rather than magical. I'd expect a physical skill to usually provide a short-term buff rather than lasting for a half-hour like a spell would.