Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic = WOW with Lightsabers

FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

http://www.massively.com/2010/06/15/massivelys-exclusive-swtor-interview-starships-pvp-and-craft/

From the interview the only things the Devs seem exited about are how much work they have put into copying WOW systems, like the PUG system, Raiding, Gear/Loot progression. But everything Star Wars fans care about, and not raid looters from guilds like Ensidia are either an afterthought or thrown out the window completely. 

Like the WOW clone crafting system (worst  crafting system EVER).

Space ships apparently will be Instanced..... I have a feeling you can say NO to space battles, they will be more like mini games in Facebook.... maybe you can cook while you're in there.

And given the attitude on the official forums , which are almost dead now BTW, most of the Star Wars fan base has given up hope on this thing. 

On top of what looks like a horribly bad PVP system, which caters to an autotarget anti ganking style of play, won't win much clout with heavy PVP guilds. I doubt the Goons or any other large PVP guild will put any kind of large investment into this game.Thats the same kind of bad development that killed Everquest. I dont know if anyone has noticed but WOW clones have bitten the dust hard the last few years, no reason to think this wow clone is special. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOEg-CuoRU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTdaQbkE-0&feature=related

I mean honestly the combat looks the same or worse than Everquest, two guys standing right in front of each other hoping Your autotargeted attack kills him before you die. The way they explain ranged targeting you pretty well dont have to aim, its more like firing a smart missile.. and I am sure it's the same for melee. Which means on top of loot progression which the game will be built around, the bad dynamics of PVP in the game mean that its going to be a slog fest between GEAR. Which means the PVP skill level of this game is going to be Garbage.

Also PVP will more than likely from what they said and what you see, be confined to Warzones, so basically they have Made WOW  WOTLK in space with Age of Shadows Rules.

Great............

Comments

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Get back in your cage...

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• youngebloodyoungeblood Member Posts: 16

hater...............

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Cataclysms space combat looks sick.

...oh wait.

Yes. As the above poster said, get back in your cage.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

OH you guys.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Those subjects have been done to death in the weeks after the news and videos were released. Look the threads and discussions about it up if you're interested.

If the OP wasn't meant as a troll post, then the only thing left to say is that you don't have to play SW TOR if you're so convinced that it'll be nothing more than WoW in a scifi coating.

Other people are less prejudiced and unbiased and they'll just wait for more info to be released, also keeping in mind the statements of the devs that point towards SW TOR being and doing its own thing, different from WoW or other MMO's.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Isn't there already a thread with almost this exact same title?  Did the search button break?

• WarsongWarsong Member Posts: 563

<---not a WoW fan but "WoW with lightsabers" is better than WoW

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I've scoured all the interviews and press releases about this game and not once do they mention cheese.This leads me to the conclusion that there will be no cheese at all in Star Wars The Old Republic because the voice acting costs used up all the budget that could have better been spent on adding cheese. Cheese lovers should avoid this game at all costs. So should everyone else as MMORPGs without cheese involved are made of fail.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Seems like another bridgelurker came out for a stroll, must have ran out of pond scum mead and billy goat nuggets.........get back un-dur durrr!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I also find TOR to be a little uninspiring, and the combat videos did remind me of the experiences I've had with World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Everquest 2. That being said, I love Star Wars, and any group of people marketing a game with this lable is going to get my attention. As long as my shit-beast computer can run it, I'll probably be playing, whether or not I've found everything released thus far to be "more of the same", which is what I'd bet they're counting on (for return of revenue).

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Tardcore

I've scoured all the interviews and press releases about this game and not once do they mention cheese.This leads me to the conclusion that there will be no cheese at all in Star Wars The Old Republic because the voice acting costs used up all the budget that could have better been spent on adding cheese. Cheese lovers should avoid this game at all costs. So should everyone else as MMORPGs without cheese involved are made of fail.

imageI had high hopes for this game, It made me belive again in this genre. With Tardcores revelation today that there will be no cheese in this game I must once again live with the bitter and ash like taste of disapointment, and watch once again as my hopes and dreams are quite literaly smashed before my very eyes! And questions have to be asked of us as a community....why we let this happen...to another game.....without the cheese we have always deserverd? and further more promised by the developers. This is a black black day....I don't know now if I can find a reason to go on living.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Sorry OP, but you should learn something about the game before you post. This topic is not that big anymore. Most people that have been researching a bit have seen that nothing of what you say is true. Good luck with the hate posts.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Wow with lightsabers and a story.

The big difference between the games is that TOR will have an actual well written story where there are choices and they actually matters.

You should not expect a ground breaking game in many other ways however, this is a game for most of the MMO players, just like Wow. Bioware is aiming for a lot of players and odder games rarely get that. Besides is EA betting too much money on the game to allow too much risk taking.

Not everyone will like it, but that wont happen anyways. There are other games in development that are aiming for the rest of the MMO fans, my guess is that most of the players will end up in TOR, GW2 and WoDO. TOR for the ex Wow players, GW2 for the people who like PvP or want something new and WoDO for the sandbox fans.

But that is as it should be, better to have a few games that aim for the right kind of players than a single large one that tries to be everything, those kinds of games never deliver as good as a game made specifically for one kind of players.

So I don't see the problem here. I will try out TOR myself but right now it looks more like I will end up in GW2 or possibly WoDO (or maybe TERA for that matter). If you hate Wow and want something tougher, just go for one of the other games.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I, too, had very high hopes. I don't plan on buying the game, anymore, though. GW2 sounds like the game of the future. TOR sounds like a game from 6 years ago.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I wonder if Tor will be the last mmo made for the Star Wars Universe or will that hinge on how well Tor does.  Granted if someone did deside to make another one it would be ten years down the road. 

Looks like your stuck with this one...for good or bad.

I'm gonna cast my vote as good...or good enough that is.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Cataclysms space combat looks sick.

...oh wait.

Yes. As the above poster said, get back in your cage.

I loved Burning Crusade's personalized class story arcs, cover-based PvP mechanics, multiplayer dialouge options, and depth of field cinematics. 

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Offical forums dead? You sure your going to the right website? If you don't like it fair enough but don't try and force your opinion down peoples throats.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by Warsong

<---not a WoW fan but "WoW with lightsabers" is better than WoW

You might be on to something there.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Fael why do you goad people with stupid topics when your name is so easily exploitable? It's gotta be intentional.

Fail, son.

• morritzmorritz Member Posts: 28

I wont' concede that this game actually is nothing but WoW with lightsabers... but for the sake of argument, what if it is?

We get WoW with a better graphics engine, new classes, new races, multiple planets, epic story arcs, space combat, voice acting, AND lightsabers!  Bring it on!

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

We will make something clear. SWTOR and WoW are both MMORPGs so they will obviously share some ideas, because it's the same genre of a game.

But, the lore, the game play, the goals, how to achieve something, the planets, the maps, the weapon, the gear, the fact there's no Elves, Orcs, etc, the classes, the races, etc. ARE VERY DIFFERENT... So it's not WoW, it's not EQ2... It's fucking SWTOR an MMORPG...

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

OP, can you fill us in on The Secret World as well, since you must be some kind of time traveller who gets to play games that haven't hit beta yet, let alone been released.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

My beef with TOR is the fact Bioware took the easy way and contracted Heroes Journeys graphic engine instead of designing one. With the budget this game has, and the past games Bioware has designed, that fact is quite a shame. I bet they spent more on voice acting. 

I also hate it's kiddie cartoony graphics. Yuk. I never played WoW for that, and I most likely will pass on TOR. No offense ment to anyone who enjoys that style, just not my flavor.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

WoW with lightsabers? maybe, maybe not.

I haven't played the game yet and from the videos i've seen it doesn't look like its "WoW with Lightsabers".

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• morritzmorritz Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Evile

My beef with TOR is the fact Bioware took the easy way and contracted Heroes Journeys graphic engine instead of designing one. With the budget this game has, and the past games Bioware has designed, that fact is quite a shame. I bet they spent more on voice acting. 

I also hate it's kiddie cartoony graphics. Yuk. I never played WoW for that, and I most likely will pass on TOR. No offense ment to anyone who enjoys that style, just not my flavor.

So they should just spend an extra 50 million and take an extra 2 years to put out a game, all while repeating work that has already been done?

Do you also criticize everyone who has licensed the Unreal engine?

This discussion has been closed.