Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF something old.. but new...

AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I am tired of the trend of most games out there, where u have to kill 10's of thousands of the same mob just to 'ding' and get 0.5% more powerful, just to redo it again. I am tired of spending countless hours(and days)  grinding just to get the chance to explore a 'new area' for 10 minutes, before i start the grind again.

I am also not intrested in games where u join and are maxed out, or those that take little or no effort to reach high levels.

Im looking for something between the two. Where it takes some effort to reach higher levels(not max, i dont' mind if the grind gets horrible after 70% of the base levels are done, but im sick of the 0.1% per kill, 1 min to kill, type of games that start this horrid grind at lv 10 or less)

What Im looking for is a game where you can solo, where every job/class/build has a decent 'ability' to get somewhere alone, yet at the same time, a game where the social community is strong, and parties are not only wanted, but required for some things. I also want a deeper story, more 'things' to do than just 'grind'

I am curious as to what people would suggest, And I kindly ask that nobody suggests wow, or even discusses it here(Will only turn to flames, you all know this..lol)

F2P would be nice, but it is not nessisary, but if it IS F2P I'd much rather it had a 'balanced' cash shop option (IE: no overpowerd equipment or unbalanced benifits though it)

Also it would be great if you, if making a suggestion, give a short review of the game :D

Thank you.

Comments

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

You pretty much just wrote a summary of Guild Wars.

It's F2P. Still has a ton of people playing it. You can start off PVPing a maxed out character. You do have to level up and do a bit of farming for extra skills but that takes no time. It's only level 1-20.

If I remember right. It can be a grind fest if you want to work toward certain titles and other silly crap, but you certainly do not have to do so.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

You describe GW pretty much except when you say: "I am also not intrested in games where u join and are maxed out, or those that take little or no effort to reach high levels."  It does not take long to hit max lvl in GW and you can also jump into PvP at max lvl right away if you want.  However, it takes quite some time to unlock all the skills and to go through all the content, which is more the focus of the game than maxing out your character's level.

Steam: Neph

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

i recommend vanguard. You can solo to endgame, but it's really boring to do so and not what the game is setup for. The game has legendary (or at least a step above epic) quests for just about any level, that require groups. The player base is small but strong. The classes are all useful and unique (imo). There are a couple that are reportedly harder to solo : Rogue/Warrior, but that is 2 of 15 classes, neither of which I have played. I heal/nuke and tank just never tried a warrior.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

Thanks for those 2 suggestions, ive tried both and i do like them both alot,  although not too keen on GW just because the 'grind' is just not there.

I think I was missunderstood. I said I want a game that is NEITHER a hellish grind from the getgo, NOR do i want a game where its too easy that it feels like you were 'given' your power.

If anyone remembers the old games like ac, (asherons call), eve, cov/h, etc. They all had 'grinds' yet the grind wasn't bad(Ac could be horrible, but only seems so at later levels.) - The 'grinds' in tese games just sorta 'came' with the game. IE: Just doing 'stuff' was enough to grind(For eve, just being created is enough, all skills train in time, on or offline, which honestly is the best idea any game has had. If only there was a fantasy based game with eve's skill system ;D) For City of Heros/villians, just being a good/bad guy and doing quests(which were fun, even after 20 times) was the grind. Although now CoH/V is ruined by the whole designer enhanment thing, I'd never go back :(

I did enjoy my time in vanguard and I have been considering going back to that, was just 'fishing' for more ideas. (Not sure how many of my friends I can lure over to vanguard :D) but I have to admit, that my time in that game, while short, was fun and I felt like I was 'doing' something other than endless grinding. So chances are I'll end up back in that one.(Just wish the playerbase was stronger in it, it really was a good game, idk why it seems so 'dead' now)

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

well due to the lack of responses, it seems the mmo market is pretty much dead, unless you want 'dying' games or korean grinders, or wow clones. :(

When will the new fresh stuff come? I am sure theres plenty of a market for some of the old school style of gaming.

Guess its single player games for another year. Maybe a little vanguard but idk how long that game can distract me.