Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A f2p mmo where the cash shop doesn't effect game play a lot

skyscanskyscan Member Posts: 17

It seems that just about f2p is a p2w. And all the f2p's without a cash shop are terrible because they have no funding. I've played quiet a few free mmo's and they all follow the same general pattern.
First few noob levels are really fun and easy with some tutorials. Maybe even a mini-boss to get you excited
Next group of levels is choosing your class and setting up all your skills. Just about everyone messes this up and wants to reroll
The level group after that is the hard grinding and you start to consider buying cash shop.
If you make it the end game you either pay for cash shop or quit.

So it always seems that it's better to just go for a p2p game, because if you're going to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a game to get good, might as well just pay for a really well done game. Only thing is, if you don't like the p2p game that's money down the drain

I know maple story's cash shop doesn't really affect gameplay a lot, but all you do in that game is either talk or grind. Just a glorified chat room in my opinion
Runescape and MU and of the sort turn into p2p at the higher levels. I'm fine with this though, it's like a trial w/ no time limit. And if you like it you pay for it

But like perfect world and allods are exactly what really bugs me. People spend like $10,000 and get so far ahead of everyone else they pretty much have [gm] powers.

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by skyscan

It seems that just about f2p is a p2w.

Play one and get back to us, or, just stop taking the bandwagon's word for it.

I've played many, and I have to keep arguing with purists that you don't need to buy a damn thing, ever.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Romulan78Romulan78 Member UncommonPosts: 99

Actually N.E.O. might be what your looking for.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Romulan78

Actually N.E.O. might be what your looking for.

LOL no you didnt go there! lol

no really, you didnt need to go there

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• rahj83rahj83 Member Posts: 77

Wait...what N.E.O are you talking about? Oh, nevermind, they both suck...

OP, I have played many...literally too many to keep track of...F2P games. I have spent exactly a total of $5.00 American on these games. That wasn't because I had to, it was because I liked the game a lot and wanted to give them a little something for three weeks I played it, so I bought some fluff crap, a mount and some clothes...

You can play F2P games without spending a dime. Here a few that I've played and enjoyed that I never spent any money on:

Dungeons and Dragons: Online

Bright Shadow

Allods Online ( edit: Apparently the game has changed since I last played, I'd avoid this one now)

Atlantica Online

Battle of the Immortals

Rohan: Blood Feud

Soul of the Ultimate Nation (it's ok, got bored after a week though)

Wonderking

I'm not sure what you're in to, but even Wizard 101 and Free Realms can be fun for free...for a little while anyways. Also, you can get Warhammer and play the endless trial. You can only get to lvl 10, but the PVP at lvl 10 is awesome. Fun for free...for a while.

Of all of these though, I must admit, only DDO remains on my PC. Soon, you'll be able to add Lord of the Rings Online to this list as well.  Also, even though there is an initial purchase required, Guild Wars is fun to play online still, for free. Lots of people still playing it, I'm one of them.

Enjoy.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by rahj83

Wait...what N.E.O are you talking about? Oh, nevermind, they both suck...

OP, I have played many...literally too many to keep track of...F2P games. I have spent exactly a total of $5.00 American on these games. That wasn't because I had to, it was because I liked the game a lot and wanted to give them a little something for three weeks I played it, so I bought some fluff crap, a mount and some clothes...

You can play F2P games without spending a dime. Here a few that I've played and enjoyed that I never spent any money on:

Dungeons and Dragons: Online

Bright Shadow

Allods Online

Atlantica Online

Battle of the Immortals

Rohan: Blood Feud

Soul of the Ultimate Nation (it's ok, got bored after a week though)

Wonderking

I'm not sure what you're in to, but even Wizard 101 and Free Realms can be fun for free...for a little while anyways. Also, you can get Warhammer and play the endless trial. You can only get to lvl 10, but the PVP at lvl 10 is awesome. Fun for free...for a while.

Of all of these though, I must admit, only DDO remains on my PC. Soon, you'll be able to add Lord of the Rings Online to this list as well.  Also, even though there is an initial purchase required, Guild Wars is fun to play online still, for free. Lots of people still playing it, I'm one of them.

Enjoy.

I played these two, and yeah their CS isnt affecting you gameplay much. Just making it easier to progress. I would add World of Tanks too. I love it so much i think i'll spend some cash just to support them. Lol

But yeah try a few F2P games and judge by yourself. If you dont like it, just uninstall them. No harm done. After all it's F2P.

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by skyscan

It seems that just about f2p is a p2w.

Play one and get back to us, or, just stop taking the bandwagon's word for it.

I've played many, and I have to keep arguing with purists that you don't need to buy a damn thing, ever.

I have to agree with you, although admittedly I've only played F2P games casually, hence making even most of the free content irrelevant. I think to a lot of people that play more hardcore, there are certain things that groups within the F2Ps start to expect in the way of purchases so that you can keep up and maximize everyone's time. I see this all the time in LFG posts stating their required purchases to be in the groups or guilds. I'd personally just find the niche groups/guilds that don't care and save the expense, but that's everyone's choice to make.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

You can have fun without spending a dime. 

But it's so much more fun when you actually spend real money.

That's the way I see it.

• exigentgamerexigentgamer Member Posts: 71

i dig your avatar, best movie ever.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Neo has some stuff that will make you better then a free player but you can do surveys to get free astros or buy it from people ingame with ingame money tough not cheap obviously :P

I bought a permanent chest in that game for 1g 600s and from there onwards I can't see on getting near 1g that I spend it on something =/

But I got it free and if i want to I could earn the money pretty fast but grinding mobs is boring :P

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

You may want to try DDO (f2p right now), Lotro (going f2p in autum) or EQ2 (adding f2p servers in mid august) I doubt any of this games have an unbalanced cash shop.