Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard needs to educate their WoW players

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

So today I was working on my level 20 Shaman and I asked some guild members If ayone was going to play Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. It seems the majority of WoW players have no clue what these prior games are whatsoever. I don't understand that. WoW players need to realize if it wasn't for the great success of Diablo,Diablo 2, Staracraft and Warcraft series WoW would not be as popular as it istoday. Time for Blizzard to educate their fanbase on previous Blizzard success I think.

Comments

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

I imagine that at this point, most World of Warcraft players are playing their first PC game. So they are not going to know about games from ten years ago.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

There are actually a number of reasons to consider before we turn this into yet another reason why the WoW community is filled with a bunch of spoiled, retarded kiddies.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

what do you expect from a game that attracted millions of non gamers.

• VortanVortan Member Posts: 25

I'd say educate WoW players period. Most WoW players are teenage prepubescent kiddies that think WoW is the first MMO ever which is ridiculous.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I understand every game gets new players, younger and older but how can some be so naive in not even know anything about Blizzard games if you are a gamer ? Even non fans know about their previous games. :)

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I understand every game gets new players, younger and older but how can some be so naive in not even know anything about Blizzard games if you are a gamer ? Even non fans know about their previous games. :)

Thats the problem, a huge amount of them are not "gamers" theyre simply "WoW players" and know next to nothing about other games, and especially about MMORPGs. If anything they tend to know a bit about console gaming, but very little about pc & mmo gaming.

It's kind of like people who are huge fans of some rock band, but have heard very little or know very little about any rock or its history outside of that band, but then claim to be huge rock fans.... youre not really a fan of "rock" youre a fan of that particular band and in your mind thats all you need to know about to understand the genre.

• Outkast22Outkast22 Member Posts: 51

Come on any real gamer knows it wasn't Diablo, Diablo2, Starcraft, or Warcraft that made WoW what it is. 

It was LOST VIKINGS!

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

So today I was working on my level 20 Shaman and I asked some guild members If ayone was going to play Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3.  I don't understand that. WoW players need to realize if it wasn't for the great success of Diablo,Diablo 2, Staracraft and Warcraft series WoW would not be as popular as it istoday. Time for Blizzard to educate their fanbase on previous Blizzard success I think.

Your statment is weak OP, "It seems the majority of WoW players have no clue what these prior games are whatsoever". Considering the population of WoW you must have been talking all week. Perhaps you were chating with the uneducated young folks of WoW, certainly appears that way. It was once said, "birds of a feather".

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

So today I was working on my level 20 Shaman and I asked some guild members If ayone was going to play Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. It seems the majority of WoW players have no clue what these prior games are whatsoever. I don't understand that. WoW players need to realize if it wasn't for the great success of Diablo,Diablo 2, Staracraft and Warcraft series WoW would not be as popular as it istoday. Time for Blizzard to educate their fanbase on previous Blizzard success I think.

Note: SC,War,Dia

are not even in the same genre as WoW. Why should they care?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LakytusLakytus Member Posts: 59

Actually they shouldn't know about any other games.  Keep them in WoW so they can't cause other games to cater to the lowest common denominator.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Lakytus

Actually they shouldn't know about any other games.  Keep them in WoW so they can't cause other games to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Too late... Have you seen the last 5 years of MMORPGs?

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I tend to see an MMO company coming out with new products to be a negative.  All else being equal, I prefer a company that knows it's entire success or failure rests upon the health of the game I'm playing.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

The irony is that I was late to the WOW bandwagon simply because I was playing UO and while I loved wc1-3, I didn't see how they could turn it into a MMORPG.. so I just didn't pay much attention to it until right before release.  I really wasn't interested because they limited you to 2 professions, no housing, and no 'vendors' to put in your houses, which were my favorite parts of UO.

But to be honest, I think there hasn't been much push by blizzart to cross market their games, which is strange because if you read these forums, you think Blizzard is a money-hungry corp that will spam your email account full of SC2 offers. 

• Roadkill2000Roadkill2000 Member Posts: 32

Last i checked games are for everyone. I play Wow and ive played Lord of the Rings, Aion and all that and for the statement that most people that play Wow are whiny kids. Almost all guilds that i have been in have kids yes, but the majority of them where adults being at least 20 or older. Im 28 personally and wouldnt touch Starcraft or Diablo, they suck from my point of view but thats only my opinion. Go to work and other social activities where u may have your co-workers and tell them that ur 30 something playing games and a majority of them will look at u like u need to grow up. Games are associated as being for kids and any of u adults that act like kids should not play the games u play, the same amount of them kids are laughing at u for being an adult with no life. It is a double edged sword but guaranteed its the adult that will look like a dumbass when he or she lets it known out in the real world we spend most of our time with our cyber buddies beating imaginary creatures while bitching bout how kiddy it is.

Applications for MMO guilds??? Sorry not that pathetic just yet

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Both Diablo and SC are 90's game, a good majority of WOW player base are in the low to mid teen, it's normal for them NOT to know these games.

• HinchaHincha Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Roadkill2000

Go to work and other social activities where u may have your co-workers and tell them that ur 30 something playing games and a majority of them will look at u like u need to grow up. Games are associated as being for kids and any of u adults that act like kids should not play the games u play, the same amount of them kids are laughing at u for being an adult with no life. It is a double edged sword but guaranteed its the adult that will look like a dumbass when he or she lets it known out in the real world we spend most of our time with our cyber buddies beating imaginary creatures while bitching bout how kiddy it is.

Have to agree on that for 100%! My co-workers are realy non understanding about my gaming habits (29 years old). They don't get that for me it is relaxing and other players become more than just pixels to me.

Games are supposed to be fun and relaxing, not calculus and scientific equations. Its ok not to want ur game to be brainless but not everyone wants to play a game they have to have a math degree or an insane ability to ignore everything in life but the game they are playing just to have fun. To each their own but for me im not in it for mathmatical equations or professor level explanations. It is a game after all.

Originally posted by gauge2k3

Games are supposed to be fun and relaxing, not calculus and scientific equations. Its ok not to want ur game to be brainless but not everyone wants to play a game they have to have a math degree or an insane ability to ignore everything in life but the game they are playing just to have fun. To each their own but for me im not in it for mathmatical equations or professor level explanations. It is a game after all.

(Mod Edit)

said above,to each their own. If the game does not appeal to u move on plain and simple. Blizzard looks at it as a money thing. The hardcore market is just bout gone. Majority of MMO gamers must agree cause last i checked their game was still the highest grossing game out there. Just because thats your opinion of Intelligent people dont mean everyone else is  dumb. They just have a different taste in what they like in a game. If thats how u feel bout the people in the game, its community is better off without your kind

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

This is too easy.  For some people it's just a little game they play from time to time amongst all the other activities they have.  It's not a lifestyle to them.

Originally posted by gauge2k3

(Mod Edit)

No i did not just call myself stupid, i just have a different taste in games than you. If u disagree thats fine, just giving my opinion on the subject and not getting into a name calling game with u to show how immature we can be.

• NewtNewt Member UncommonPosts: 69

you're a gamer, you have no life, you aren't like everyone else in this grand world.  Some people have lives and don't need to know every game every made to have fun playing what is probably their first and only MMORPG.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Even most so called Blizzard fans hardly recall Rock N' Roll Racing and The Lost Vikings.

Fact is I'd not really catagorize MMORPG players with the majority of the gaming crowd. They're something unique and it's fun to witness it.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Last i checked games are for everyone. I play Wow and ive played Lord of the Rings, Aion and all that and for the statement that most people that play Wow are whiny kids. Almost all guilds that i have been in have kids yes, but the majority of them where adults being at least 20 or older. Im 28 personally and wouldnt touch Starcraft or Diablo, they suck from my point of view but thats only my opinion. Go to work and other social activities where u may have your co-workers and tell them that ur 30 something playing games and a majority of them will look at u like u need to grow up. Games are associated as being for kids and any of u adults that act like kids should not play the games u play, the same amount of them kids are laughing at u for being an adult with no life. It is a double edged sword but guaranteed its the adult that will look like a dumbass when he or she lets it known out in the real world we spend most of our time with our cyber buddies beating imaginary creatures while bitching bout how kiddy it is.

Guess it depends where you work / what you do. I in IT, so pretty much everyone i work with are a bunch of gamer nerds, half the time when i come into work (since i work the late shift) people are already talking about a game to eachother, or they start a convo with me, or ask about the latest gaming news on certain things (like guild wars 2) since they know i keep up with most of it.

Though i do get the reaction youre talking about more from other adults in my non-work life. Which i found funny (and very annoying) because most of the criticisim comes from people like this:

My uncle: sits on his computer all day trying to hook up with chat room chicks, surfing dating sites, or playing video games like C&C (to the point where on a nearly daily basis he passes out in his computer chair playing C&C or looking for "hot" chicks online)

My parents: Both of who are currently addicted to Facebook games like Farmville and Mafia Wars and freak out if they cant get online to play

My girlfriend: Who spends much of her free time sitting around watching tv, playing solitaire on the computer, or playing games like Rockband and Guitar Hero on her own XBOX 360

Various friends: many of whom either have no job at all, or are working a near minimum wage dead end job, and in their off hours spend the majority of their free time sitting around talking shit to eachother in chatrooms on AOL or screwing around on myspace/facebook

Every one of those listed above tends to criticize me and others for their gaming habits, or the types of games we choose to play. As i said i find it kind of funny (and annoying) to receive such criticism from people in situations like the above.

And along with all those, theres always the people thrown in who say things like "playing games is so stupid/pointless, its for kids, etc" **sit down and pick up the remote and stare at the TV for hours on end**. Hmmmmm staring at the tv for "entertainment" which requires nothing more than to sit there without having to think, react, perform math, communicate/socialize with others and use teamwork, and various other things that gaming allows you to do.... which seems more pointless and childish?