Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full loot PVP not for me

Really, I get why people like to pvp.  Especially those with an over abundance of testosterone/estrogen (j/k, heheh).

There is the adrenaline rush of stalking/being stalked, attacking/being attacked, fighting and winning/losing to another rl player.

But when it comes to FFA pvp, I just can't play it.  Basically, I feel bad if I lose all my gear, and I feel bad for my opponents if I get all their gear.  I play to have fun, and that is not.

Capture the flag and win? Fine and dandy, it's like being on the winning team of any team sport.  Win against another one on one?  Fine and dandy, it's like winning at martial arts or pocket billiards.   Over run and capture the opposing side keep?  Cool and lots of fun and satisfaction in a job well done with team mates.  Traveling the world with the sense of danger constantly present, knowing the grim reaper could ambush you at any moment?  Also cool.

Looting/loosing all hard earned gear?  Not so much fun.

To me the ideal pvp would have all the possibilites of say a Darkfall or a Mortal Online with one exception.  Let the loser drop one random item and respawn with the rest of their gear intact.  The winner gets a trophy, the looser pays a "ransom" and the thrill of victory/agony of defeat remains intact with less sting involved.  Also, if the drop is random, there is the  extra thrill/sense of loss if that item is of high quality:  and the flip side, disappointment/relief if the dropped item is of little value.  In any case, you still have the consolation of knowing you didn't take/lose everything.

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by Hanlo

Really, I get why people like to pvp.  Especially those with an over abundance of testosterone/estrogen (j/k, heheh).

There is the adrenaline rush of stalking/being stalked, attacking/being attacked, fighting and winning/losing to another rl player.

But when it comes to FFA pvp, I just can't play it.  Basically, I feel bad if I lose all my gear, and I feel bad for my opponents if I get all their gear.  I play to have fun, and that is not.

Capture the flag and win? Fine and dandy, it's like being on the winning team of any team sport.  Win against another one on one?  Fine and dandy, it's like winning at martial arts or pocket billiards.   Over run and capture the opposing side keep?  Cool and lots of fun and satisfaction in a job well done with team mates.  Traveling the world with the sense of danger constantly present, knowing the grim reaper could ambush you at any moment?  Also cool.

Looting/loosing all hard earned gear?  Not so much fun.

To me the ideal pvp would have all the possibilites of say a Darkfall or a Mortal Online with one exception.  Let the loser drop one random item and respawn with the rest of their gear intact.  The winner gets a trophy, the looser pays a "ransom" and the thrill of victory/agony of defeat remains intact with less sting involved.  Also, if the drop is random, there is the  extra thrill/sense of loss if that item is of high quality:  and the flip side, disappointment/relief if the dropped item is of little value.  In any case, you still have the consolation of knowing you didn't take/lose everything.

I prefer my RPGs with more PvE. PvP is fun in games like Halo but for an RPG I'm looking for the epic encounters with untold creatures and loot, lots of loot. I don't want to kill a measly human when there are dragons about!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I've found that FFA PVP is alot more fun when you don't go into it planning to be elitist (not that I'm saying the OP is or was, just making a generalization about a mentality that I've found helps me personally).

If I roll someone, I'll usually give 50% of there stuff back, or leave it on the corpse.

If I get rolled I can always craft new gear or ask a clanmate to help me out, assuming I ever exhaust my stockpile, which there isn't much chance of.

On the flipside:

If I expected to go in and "pwn" other players for they're stuff just to be arrogant and feed my own ego, then I would be a lot more aggrevated when I myself got rolled and lost some stuff. I've taken that very approach before I found it just doesn't suit me at all, I'm simply not a mean-spirited individual who takes pleasure in such things.

Sure, I could replace the loot regardless of which attitude I chose to take, but its about the principle of the situation and not so much the material posessions that were lost in the process. I just find that being friendly makes for a much more satisfying experience in the long run, especially in FFA PVP games, where you need all the backup you can get.

The social status of a persons character is 75% of the game when it comes to FFA PVP, imho. Just look at EVE for example, where your main's rep is everything. Step on the wrong toes and you could (will) be in for a very unpleasant time if you lack the resources or allies to provide you with assistance.

Just my 2c.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I like FFAPvP.

It's not for everyone, but it's a freedom that I personally enjoy and do not exploit. What I've found is that the majority of people that will attack *anyone* usually cool their jets after a good setback, only people not used to FFA tend to abuse the ideology. Another thing is that total loss is a risk that balances out the rate at which people attempt to kill another, whereas in AoC PvP servers, the fluidity of getting killed - losing nothing - and returning to the fray had both highlights and setbacks. For one thing, you could PvP all night out in the open if you wanted to, which is miles better than their arena system, but on the other hand the lack of setbacks made jerkoffs have nothing to risk while being a jerkoff.

If your personal experiences with FFA hardships are from games in the initial launch months, I will again point out that most of those people have no clue about the real setbacks yet, and get bloodthirsty after finding a ganker squad to team up with. The moment they face a real setback is when their mentality changes, and things cool down overall. Never join an FFA game in it's first months unless you enjoy true chaos. Most of the people playing at that time "just don't get it", and it can be seen in the actions of every person on the Darkfall trial as they attempt to attack anyone they see instinctively - if only to test their boundaries.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

But gear is only gear. A small reward / token / spoils for the victor.

If people get attached to a pixel or polygon shaped item that's a bit of stats and dps or some AC points then I believe they have bigger problems than simply enjoying a little pvp.

Full loot isn't as dire as people paint it to be. If you feel bad losing an item after losing a fight then I recommend getting psychiatric help.

Full looting of player items has a few benefits that may not be seen right away. 1. It gives meaning to the fight. You don't want to lose your stuff, so you're less likely to do something retarded for the lulz. But if you win you get basically either an upgraded item or something to throw at a vendor for cash. There's a loss vs gain ratio. 2. It keeps spring board pvpers at bay. If they spawn they'll have to reequip before entering the fight again. This mostly has a positive effect on massive siege MMOs which will probably never be made again. Shadowbane and UO benefited from this. Sure people could eventually get back to the big fight but they have to hit up the bank or the vendor once again. 3. Well it plays to both of those but it makes the game truly dynamic.

If you don't like it, then pat yourself on the back. The majority of MMORPGers are casual gamers. This fight was over in 2004 and basically there's no room for hardcore gaming in MMORPGs.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.