Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I used to be a hater, now I'm warming up to it....

A few months ago I was like others who just said this game looks terrible, it is going to be terrible, and I admit I was hating it to hate it. But after watching the panels at Comic Con and on G4TV I have to say I am really starting to warm up to the idea of this game. I am interested, also, in FFXIV, it is a pretty game that looks fun (since I played FFXI), but the benchmark, and system requirements are ridiculous. So, now, I get it. Bioware is following Blizzard (not copying but using a very good idea) to make the graphics playable on any older systems as well as the heavy graphics machines. This will, ultimately, make for more people who will play, in theory.

With the addition of individual ships, and space combat this could be a very fun game, and I am happy to say I am now following it, hoping they continue to surprise. 

But maybe this is just me, what does everyone else think?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I've always been interested in the game, and I'll admit its been hard keeping my hype up for so long,  but they still seem to surprise me with the information they release.  With so much time between now and when the game actually releases I can only imagine what hasn't been released yet!

Space combat is a BIG reveal,  I mean HUGE,  and theres still so much information we haven't received on this game yet.  If they feel they can release this information now, and still have more things to reveal in the future to generate hype I can only imagine what they may be.

So far, I'm very happy with how this game is shaping up.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I also started feeling 'meh' about SWTOR, I'm not that large a fan of the SW universe as I used to be, and for me the graphics can make or break it, in the case of SWTOR the graphics were disappointing. So even while I have good experiences with Bioware games, I felt indifferent towards SWTOR.

But the more news is revealed, the more I get the feeling that it's shaping up pretty good. I like the way they're taking on the storytelling aspects, and I've grown interested how they're trying to boost that up, it has been one of the weaker aspects in MMO's. Plus from what I read the SWTOR universe will be huge, with its gigantic planets to explore. I saw some newer screenshots that made me think that the graphics could turn out better than I expected, and the teamplay sounds good, as well as the space combat. 

So all in all it's sounding better and better.

If Bioware plays its cards right with the other aspects of the game, like the endgame content and possibilities, they could have something spectacular in their hands with SW TOR.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

I am looking forward to this game and leaving it at that. I am trying not to ahve any expectations and just building momentum based on released information. That way, I would be dissappoint and I'll know what I am geting into when I join up.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I am just the opposite.  I started out all WOOHOO and have been working to keep my internal Hype on this game down to more realistic measures. 

I am looking forward to the game and I am actively absorbing every morsel of information that comes my way.  I am NOT trying to allow my optimism override what is being released as FACT and speculate on this being the next ANYTHING killer.

I can only hope it turns out to be a decent game to play and fun for me.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by cyphers
    graphics can make or break it

If a game is fun. Who cares what the graphics look like. Its what made WoW popular.

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by AzurePrower

If a game is fun. Who cares what the graphics look like. Its what made WoW popular.

Fun is the only thing i look for in a game if its fun to pay I can overlook dull graphics, within reason of course.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by ashfallen

Fun is the only thing i look for in a game if its fun to pay I can overlook dull graphics, within reason of course.

That is true to a point,of course the worse the graphics are the more the gameplay HAS to shine through and captivate.

Also if there is a reason for scaling back the graphics and going for a more stylized look rather than sheer graphic brute force like making the public areas of a game completely noninstanced(shared by everyone on a server cluster) and/or because they expect their to be large amounts of players on screen at once in some aspect of the gameplay.

MMORPGs that hav eof late attmepted to bring single player game quality graphics to MMORPGs have done so at the cost of having to severely instance their worlds(the worlds themselves not private/group instances) ,or limit the gameplay to ensure lower player numbers in any one area, to accomodate for the biggest bottleneck in online gaming player's available net bandwidth.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

The definition of what makes an activity "fun" is subjective.  And although Blizzard seem to have a better idea of that defintion than others, not everyone agrees with their definition.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I was on the fence with the WoW game play. The graphics pushed me over the edge to not playing. Just couldn't take the cartoonyness of them.

• JenksFTWJenksFTW Member Posts: 72

Good, I am glad I am not the only one. I try my best not to sound fanboy, and soemtime it is hard. Although I started seeing myself doing it with FFXIV, and then when I really started listening what they were trying to do with this game (SWTOR) I loved their enthusiasm and I like the directions they are taking.

I appreciate the graphics for what they are, an attempt to make the game playable to so many more people, I just hope the gameplay wows as much as I believe the story system will!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by ashfallen

That is true to a point,of course the worse the graphics are the more the gameplay HAS to shine through and captivate.

Also if there is a reason for scaling back the graphics and going for a more stylized look rather than sheer graphic brute force like making the public areas of a game completely noninstanced(shared by everyone on a server cluster) and/or because they expect their to be large amounts of players on screen at once in some aspect of the gameplay.

MMORPGs that hav eof late attmepted to bring single player game quality graphics to MMORPGs have done so at the cost of having to severely instance their worlds(the worlds themselves not private/group instances) ,or limit the gameplay to ensure lower player numbers in any one area, to accomodate for the biggest bottleneck in online gaming player's available net bandwidth.

If the game is fun and has some depth . 2D ULTIMA graphics would be fine. IT is all about gameplay nothing more.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Everyone's taste is different.

To me, great graphics = deeper immersion = more fun.

It's why I liked GW the first few hours I played it more than WoW the first few hours I played it. It's the graphics of Mass Effect 2 that helps make the world of ME2 come alive, gives it breath and immersion. Sure, gameplay has to be good too, but it's the graphics that can make a MMO world shine. Just like gameplay, the graphics for me have to be above a threshold not to become distracting because of them being annoying.

Most current MMO's look fairly good or at least acceptable though; but some of the current and upcoming MMO's look stunning and astonishing.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Everyone's taste is different.
    To me, great graphics = deeper immersion = more fun.

It's why I liked GW the first few hours I played it more than WoW the first few hours I played it. It's the graphics of Mass Effect 2 that helps make the world of ME2 come alive, gives it breath and immersion. Sure, gameplay has to be good too, but it's the graphics that can make a MMO world shine. Just like gameplay, the graphics for me have to be above a threshold not to become distracting because of them being annoying.
    Most current MMO's look fairly good or at least acceptable though; but some of the current and upcoming MMO's look stunning and astonishing.

you are right, everyone is different with their tastes. but you mention immersion, i am not sure if this is just me, my opinion, or something lots of RPG fans just don't consider.

but i believe the story telling aspect that the bioware brand brings offers more immersion than just really good graphics.

to me, when you are engaged in the story and have to make decisions based on what you believe your character would make, that will immerse you into the game more than anything els possibly could.

again, that just might be my opinion and the graphics must not be too horrible. immersion aside, i have also been a guy that has always put game play above graphics.

maybe that's why i chose wow over GW or maybe it was the fact that wow had a persistent world and GW did not.

another important aspect to immersion IMO

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Well, I have no problem in admitting that I expect SW:TOR will be some of the most amazing storytelling and I don't want to call it to soon so won't be any more emphatic than that. This will make it a great experience playing it, no question in my mind. Even the graphics seem very cool and well-chosen to me, some really nice darkbright hues and mellow and loud color tones, looks very atmospheric imo.

I'm just not that massive a Star Wars fan and find the choice of careers a little limited (love the imperial agent however)? Space combat is a big deal, I agree, it's gonna make the environment feel much more like a space mmo. but above all, I'm just glad there is at least another seriously good prospect of an mmo on the horizon. Few and far...