Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TIME FoR ChAnGe!! Time For Change!!!

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I am excited about the next way on MMORPG on the way.

But wooooooo,,,,,,

what if they fail on us like War did?

Anybody think of that?

What if WoW die this next X-pac?

What if Guild Wars 2 turns out to be a lame fest or some gimmick marketing scam.

FF turns out to be a piece of shit,,,,

War40 isnt great,,,,,,

so on so on,,,,,,,

Damn can you image the damage this could have on the genre as a whole?

So many hyped up MMO are comng around the same time, but if they al flop, we could be doomed for a while. the MMORPG genre itself which is unstable, could explode from self destruction!!!

I hope we have a back up plan!!!

Plan B pill?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• HaikenHaiken Member Posts: 81

We all die in 2012 anyway.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Hey anybody believe this new story driven idea thats been coming up will take the genre into the next gen?

like SWTOR for example...

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Aluminum foil now comes with bubble wrap.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Haiken

Anyway, anybody have any idea of the next MMORPG tech spark?

• HaikenHaiken Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Haiken

People die everyday. Your point?

Read again and try again, thanks for playing.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Hey anybody believe this new story driven idea thats been coming up will take the genre into the next gen?

personally I think it'll sell well. However it may not grab me. The MMO genre is one of the few forms of media where I don't want the story to be provided. I prefer to be given an environement, a  background and plenty of players, playing different styles with which to create our own fun.

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by dhayes68

personally I think it'll sell well. However it may not grab me. The MMO genre is one of the few forms of media where I don't want the story to be provided. I prefer to be given an environement, a  background and plenty of players, playing different styles with which to create our own fun.

Then people complaint that theres nothing to do.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I am excited about the next way on MMORPG on the way.

But wooooooo,,,,,,

what if they fail on us like War did?

Anybody think of that?

What if WoW die this next X-pac?

What if Guild Wars 2 turns out to be a lame fest or some gimmick marketing scam.

FF turns out to be a piece of shit,,,,

War40 isnt great,,,,,,

so on so on,,,,,,,

Damn can you image the damage this could have on the genre as a whole?

So many hyped up MMO are comng around the same time, but if they al flop, we could be doomed for a while. the MMORPG genre itself which is unstable, could explode from self destruction!!!

I hope we have a back up plan!!!

Plan B pill?

I think we've had enough bad examples of what not to do by MMO writers/developers in the last 18 months. I will take the opposite approach and bet we will see some winners in the next 18 months.

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by dhayes68

I agree.

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

People made threads like these back when warhammer/aoc/etc. were in development to.

Could very easily end up with the same result, history tends to repeat itself. :P

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by grunty

Aluminum foil now comes with bubble wrap.

Op needs to use that and make a tin foil hat.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

People made threads like these back when warhammer/aoc/etc. were in development to.

Could very easily end up with the same result, history tends to repeat itself. :P

People were ready for change already when AoC and WAR released, yes.

But the devs were not since MMOs takes many years to make. Sooner or later however they will be ready.

Gaming history just repeats itself for so long, it is a great difference between games now and when I got my first C-64 as a kid. It stands still for a rather long time and then make a great leap and back to standing still again.

MMOs will change. It is possible that it will happen next year or maybe a few years in the future but it will happen.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

My back up plan will be shooters and console games. You also shouldn't make posts on here while THAT intoxicated dude. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Aeroangel

My back up plan will be shooters and console games. You also shouldn't make posts on here while THAT intoxicated dude. 

That's what the bubble wrap is for.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

If all MMOs fail, there will still be entertaining non-MMOs.

I suppose if you have some incredible fixation that games must be massively multiplayer for you to enjoy them, then maybe you're outta luck.  But for the majority of gamers, there's usually a fun choice out there worth playing.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

We had change - and on both accounts, people were bummed.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

People were ready for change already when AoC and WAR released, yes.

But the devs were not since MMOs takes many years to make. Sooner or later however they will be ready.

Gaming history just repeats itself for so long, it is a great difference between games now and when I got my first C-64 as a kid. It stands still for a rather long time and then make a great leap and back to standing still again.

MMOs will change. It is possible that it will happen next year or maybe a few years in the future but it will happen.

What if the great leap you talk about derived from... Farmville.

*fear

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Interesting

What if the great leap you talk about derived from... Farmville.

*fear

It is one of our nation's greatest secrets.  For too long, we've been hit by a plethora of crappy Asian games...

...but Zynga is striking back:  http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100729-707027.html

Just don't let the UN know.

FarmVille, a weapon of mass time destruction.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%