Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starcraft 2 review

ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I'm putting this here because SC2 is part game, part sci fi fantasy movie.

Graphics *****

I have a quad core CPU and a Geforce 250 and it chugs a bit on this one at full settings.  I was a bit surprised by that but Blizzard's come close to equaling their CGI clips in the interactive scenes between missions.  It's a twist on the Blizzard formula and it's the first time since maybe Diablo 1 where the graphics are at least on par with the current standard.

Sound *****

Like most Blizzard games the music is pretty tight.  There's tons of voice acting.

Gameplay(minus the story) ***

I haven't bothered with RTS games since the last Age of Empires expac just because the gameplay usually works out the same: find the best unit and crank out a ton of them.  There's more depth this time though because you can research and buy unit and building upgrades in between missions.  This will affect which units you lean toward and which ones you won't bother with at all(firebats in my case).

Presentation *****

You can't just focus on the RTS game with this one.  There's a genuinely engrossing story going on and this time around you're really playing a galactic mercenary with a small army.  You make money for completing missions and your path of destruction affects your dealings with other characters.  The mysteries surrounding the characters adds an extra incentive to keep advancing that you usually don't find in a videogame.

When you combine the graphics, sound and storyline elements its the overall presentation that really shines.  They put so much effort into the overall product that even if the strict RTS side of the gameplay isn't groundbreaking, the immersion and entertainment blows away most games.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Comments

• StarkStark Member Posts: 119

Is it worth $59.99 + tax? That's the real question. I'll probably wait for a price drop.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by Stark

Is it worth $59.99 + tax? That's the real question. I'll probably wait for a price drop.

If you like what the OP liked then yes. Tho i do agree with some that the price is a bit cheaky when you consider there are 2 expansions comming which sound like Race campain stuff which you basically got all 3 in the origonal for the standard price for a game back then.

Oh so you know i paid £40 for mine and i do not regret it [based on the campain and interesting level design alone].

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by Chieftan

Graphics *****

I have a quad core CPU and a Geforce 250 and it chugs a bit on this one at full settings.  I was a bit surprised by that but Blizzard's come close to equaling their CGI clips in the interactive scenes between missions.  It's a twist on the Blizzard formula and it's the first time since maybe Diablo 1 where the graphics are at least on par with the current standard.

Sound *****

Like most Blizzard games the music is pretty tight.  There's tons of voice acting.

I haven't bothered with RTS games since the last Age of Empires expac just because the gameplay usually works out the same: find the best unit and crank out a ton of them.  There's more depth this time though because you can research and buy unit and building upgrades in between missions.  This will affect which units you lean toward and which ones you won't bother with at all(firebats in my case).

Presentation *****

You can't just focus on the RTS game with this one.  There's a genuinely engrossing story going on and this time around you're really playing a galactic mercenary with a small army.  You make money for completing missions and your path of destruction affects your dealings with other characters.  The mysteries surrounding the characters adds an extra incentive to keep advancing that you usually don't find in a videogame.

When you combine the graphics, sound and storyline elements its the overall presentation that really shines.  They put so much effort into the overall product that even if the strict RTS side of the gameplay isn't groundbreaking, the immersion and entertainment blows away most games.

So what is your opinion on soome of the interactve map such as the Lava one and the Day and night one?

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Graphics *****

Depends on your standards i guess , there are some RTS's who put the bar higher and are already a couple of years old.

Sound *****

There are quite some RTS's out there who don't allow a certain unit spam due to good counter mechanics. Though i must agree it's still something you often see .

Presentation *****

Now this must be SC's real strength , but not worthy the price if you ask me :|

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

Graphics *****

Sound *****

Presentation *****

So what is your opinion on soome of the interactve map such as the Lava one and the Day and night one?

I think they're good examples of the Blizzard think tank putting in ideas that wouldn't have occurred to most designers.  The lava map looked like it was going to be a headache but it wound up being pretty easy to manage.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Stark

LIke I said, the production values are evident.   I could be just as entertained by watching the story cutscenes as playing through the map levels.  Any fan of sci fi will enjoy this.