Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zentia Online is shockling very good.

2»

Comments

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Hey Spooky.  That's where I got my key, Massively.  I think they still have tons left.  Just swing by their site if anyone is interested.

As spooky said, not like this is the second coming of WoW.  I wasn't blown away or anything, just pleasantly suprised for a F2P.  Most of them are utter trash.  The game feels like I'm playing inside of a nice anime series.  There is a comedic sense to some of the quests, but they have a serious undertone.  Some of the translations aren't complete, and I have no idea about high level grinding.

I can only talk about levels 1-12, which was easy.  Most of that leveling was done turning in quests.  There are collection quests, kill quests, mailmen quests, but there are also Quiz challenges that award experience.  You also get experience for finding art pieces in the world.

You get your first pet and mount by level 10.  They level up as well.  You can capture new mounts and pets that have different active/passive abilities.

Sure there are only 22 selectable characters, but you can wear costume pieces to look unique.  You can mix and match costume pieces.  You can be anything from a baby to an old man.  I find most people play the teenage/young adult looking characters.  I created an old man tank, baby melee dps, and fat man healer.  You don't have to look like everyone else.  Play the old lady that looks like a baba yaga.  Mix and match some of the costume pieces with regular armor looks and you will be unique.  I mean REALLY....how unique do people look in WOW?  Come on now.  Everyone has on the same armor at end game.  WoW doesn't use armor dye or costume pieces.  I find this an odd complaint from people.  Unless you play something like City of Heroes you never get to see your custsom options after the creation screen.  All you can do in WoW is hide your helm and cap.  I'm using that as my standard comparison since most people have played it.

I'm guessing most people on the this site probably won't like it.  They want WoW 2.0.

• jasconinejasconine Member UncommonPosts: 7

I was also pleasantly surprised when I tried out this game. The pet system is nice and levelling seemed to be easy, with good drops being very rare. I haven't really given the crafting system a thorough test, but it seems to be adequate and the Character Classes are a nice change from the norm.

The thing I like most about the game so far is the randomness... you can get special random quests while out and about, you can get very lucky and have the chance to tame a rare pet if you can get one to spawn and you get XP from crafting and gathering, with the chance of a random rare quest item when collecting too. I think a lot of the systems in this game are polished and deserve at least an initial look. I will admit that the graphics may put some people off, but if they can overlook that  for a few moments and give the game 30mins, then they will probably find themselves enjoying the "cuteness" and start having fun!

I haven't tried the Cash Shop as it is not open, but I do not like the look of 30-day inventory expansions >.<

There are a couple of other minor issues that bug me, but the overall feel of the game won me over after the first day where I played it for 4-5 hours straight.

- jasconine

ps - I have no problems with the graphics, smooth and silky except when I ride my Hermit Crab who scuttles along... in a crab-like fashion

• iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114

I only tried this game since I was desperately bored at the time and I am always on the lookout for an ancient China themed mmo that I can stay with and not get bored of.

Watched the youtube videos while I was downloading the client and  figured I would play it for 5 minutes and uninstall. It looked  pretty girly from the videos. - Not that girly is a bad thing, it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Turns out, the game  is  probably the  most fun I have had with a f2p game ever. I wasn't thrilled at the character selection since they are all kind of harmless cartoony looking, but if you can get past that, the rest of the game is very traditional.

I ended up making an old man dark revenant- which, if you watch  old kung fu movies,  is pretty much the  ancient Taoist priest that run around with bells and controls zombie/vampires. My talisman is a huge bell and my weapon is a wooden sword. My spells are hastly written on yellow spell paper and flung at the enemy. Pretty feckin cool.

Tons of unlockable mini games and different ways to get xp in the game, so you won't get bored with any of that. They really have that mastered -  I don't think there are any other games out there with this amount of  optional  xp stuff. They also have scheduled events everyday for those who like that stuff. They have some unusual quests as well that are different from the kill this/fetch that standard.

There isn't really a grind that I have seen (only level 28 atm), unless you consider repeatable quests and dailies  to go and fetch/kill to be grinding. People  have made level 40 inside of a week.

Way too many quests. - Most games you run out of quests, this game, theres so damn many that you  probably won't have a chance to do them all. I have quests that are almost 10 levels below me that still need to be done, and I havent been grinding at all.

Quests are also well written, I know most people probaby won't even read the wall of text that pops up describing the quest. If you do, you will be rewarded with well written and some funny stuff. - Definitely the best translation job for a non english mmo that I have seen. The later quests  need to be gone over though(quality checked), as the higher up in levels you go, the less polish in the quest descriptions is (sentence structure and spelling mistakes). If they can keep the same  quality of the lower quests when they complete the translations, then  you won't even notice that it is a Chinese made mmo.

The world is bright and colorful, the music suitably Asian classical. It really does a good job in describing what you need to do and where to go.  - It gives you hotlinks to auto walk to your target, and a picture of what your target is so there is no confusion when you get there.

There's a lot of stufff that is upgradeable with different parts and stones and such, a bit confusing.

Lots of different pets and mounts to  collect, teaching them skills and  stuff is a cool feature, haven't tried the pet jobs yet since you have to unlock everything in  a zone before they can work on their own there.

A few things I don't like about it, but could overlook  depending on how they deal with it:

Crafting sucks( imo)  you have to rely on everyone else to get your materials.  example: making some medicine. - it requires you to get herbs+ another ingredient+ medicine creating skill. you can only master 2 out of the 3 that is needed to make it, so have to buy the last item from someone else. ( I think we all know how cutthroat and stupid other players are in trying to rip  people off). You can alternatively get the npc to make it for you, but you wont get any bonuses like you would if a player made it. Hopefully they will allow you to master more skills so that you don't have to buy everyone's overpriced supplies.

Open pvp, after a certain level, you can be attack by  anyone , anywhere. Obviously guards will protect you if you are near one, but it makes all zones pvp zones in effect. - Don't like this at all, for such an enjoyable game, it could turn into another ugly asian pvp game. (the fact that you can track your killer/victim anywhere they go makes it very worrysome). You need to  pk 25 innocent(non pvp flagged people in order for anyone to lift an eyebrow (anti pk measures) and that to me, is  pretty lame. That's a lot of grief before you are punished.

This really is a fun game that would be good for mmo newbies to start with and learn, but the brutal  pvp friendly environment is a big turnoff. I have only experienced a few jerks out in the wild that try and pk you while you are questing, but it's closed beta, and that stuff usually blows up  in open beta/final release. We'll see how it turns out and how they adjust the penalties/rules for open beta.

Hardly any bag space, crazy expensive if you want to  buy more bank space. Tons of crap you will collect and need to  hold onto.

No cash shop up yet so no telling how much they will charge for  everything. It will probably be  overpirced like most other f2p mmos are. Fortunately, the way the game is balanced so far, it doesn't feel like allods where you need to use the cash shop in order to survive/progress. Everything feels very balanced so I am guessing that the cash shop will be for superficial stuff and not necessity.

Really liking the game and looking foward to open beta. ( my char is in deep freeze since they will wipe after closed beta and I hate doing stuff over and over). If they can  adjust the rules to keep ganking and pking to a minimum and  not rip you off in the cash shop, I will definitely be  playing this  for a while. I just hope the community doesn't turn it to garbage. ( IMO most f2p games have the most horrid community)

It's funny cause I was ready to not like this game at all. Still don't know why I  let the download finish and  install. Everything I saw and  watched just really didn't do the game justice.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Hey just amending my earlier post. Was doing a quest today and as one of the mobs hit me they shouted "Roadhouse!" I now officialy like this game. Any game that lets me play as a sword weilding four year old who sits on his donkey mount backwards gets my vote.:)

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Yeah I agree the game isn't too bad.  You know what it's got on probably 80% of the f2p crap games out there?

It doesn't use that god awful FONT that is in almost every one of those games!

Originally posted by Margulis

Yeah I agree the game isn't too bad.  You know what it's got on probably 80% of the f2p crap games out there?

It doesn't use that god awful FONT that is in almost every one of those games!

Actually, the font is one of the problems I do have... it is too big and there are times when you CANNOT read the full description, sentence or question (very troubling when trying to respond in 10secs to the quizzes.)

Another problem (which is being addressed) is that some of the quiz questions have the wrong answers.

I don't mind the font being comic-sans, but make it a little smaller and the world will be a readble place =)

A recent positive is that the company seem to be inviting community additions in the form of *new* in-game quiz questions and the community is starting to respond. Also, the community seems to be gathering momentum with Tortoise Server winning a beta event which was almost certain to go to the more populated Hare server - well done.

The big test is, how will they handle the enevitable bots that cause everyone grief once we hit OB.

- jasconine

• schroedingerschroedinger Member Posts: 23

well.. bots might not do too well considering you get random encounters every so often that will show up and attack you. Or if you kill the same thing for too long, a very high level demon has a chance to show up and kill ya. (I like that, makes it less dull, definitely woke me up!)

Random NPC encounters, as mentioned above, will do one of 4 things: make 3 mobs attack you at once, spawn a little old man for you to lead to town with the occasional ambush on the way, or give you some random exp and a very nice buff. Every time you complete one of the first 2 successfully, a goofy fat guy riding a cloud will pop up and give you 1 stat point and one resist point. It's just a nice little bit of flavor.

In fact, thats what this game has alot of. Flavor. It may seem "childish and goofy" to those who expect MMOS to mean SRS BUISNESS because it is their second life, but if you want a free way to kill some time and laugh now and then, this is the game. I've seen mobs quote pulp fiction, austin powers, rocky.. and there are so many damn easter eggs it seems like the easter bunny took some crack and went to town, you can barely throw a stick without finding some little clever easter egg or quote.

Also, there are multiple minigames, either run as daily events or activateable ones that drop off npcs. They range from competative whack-a-mole (yes you heard me right, and its fun) to finding your way through a huge, huge maze in a timer, and the quicker you get through, the more loot you get - and the first person to the finish gets to the loot faster. They don't require cash shop items to complete, or even other players, and they ALL give your character a nice chunk of exp, money, and sometimes gear. There is currently a trivia game that rewards you generously with exp. It isn't a breeze, some of the questions are quite hard, and you walk away feeling like you really worked for that exp.

All in all, there are lots of things to do in this game. It doesn't feel grindy, the speed is quick and you can go through the game doing multiple things besides kill, quest, repeat without need to touch a dime of real money. I haven't seen a game with that sort of mechanism for leveling so far in a p2p or f2p environment.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I have been enjoying the game. Last night I saw a small dot on the ground that looked like a shadow. Every few seconds it would disappear so it wasn't just different colored ground.  Only thing was there was nothing standing there. Finally I panned the camera up and found one of those cloud riders just sitting there about 15 feet in the air doing nothing.

I clicked on him and suddenly there I was sitting beside him. Clicking on him again gave a list of movement commands like North, South, Up, Down. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to get to those floating rocks that are in the air SE of the fishing village near Serene Beach. Too bad it was blocked off. But it was fun trying to get there.

If you ever see a 10 Person Cloud just floating by, grab a ride. It does appear to be set up so anyone on the cloud can give direction commands. And you know how people are.

What happens when the cash shop grind kicks in is still an unknown though.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • schroedingerschroedinger Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by grunty

I have been enjoying the game. Last night I saw a small dot on the ground that looked like a shadow. Every few seconds it would disappear so it wasn't just different colored ground.  Only thing was there was nothing standing there. Finally I panned the camera up and found one of those cloud riders just sitting there about 15 feet in the air doing nothing.

I clicked on him and suddenly there I was sitting beside him. Clicking on him again gave a list of movement commands like North, South, Up, Down. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to get to those floating rocks that are in the air SE of the fishing village near Serene Beach. Too bad it was blocked off. But it was fun trying to get there.

If you ever see a 10 Person Cloud just floating by, grab a ride. It does appear to be set up so anyone on the cloud can give direction commands. And you know how people are.

What happens when the cash shop grind kicks in is still an unknown though.

cool, i hadnt found that one yet :)

the cash shop will be tested for the closed testers in the next few weeks - theyre giving out tokens and then making everything cost a token and ordering everyone to buy and use everything they can. So we will finally see how the shop works, if it is pay to win or what.

So far though, I havent found anything that i couldnt do in game, like upgrading your talisman, for instance, is fully  upgradeable via the main quests. apparently if you are impatient youll be able to buy all the upgrades that way, instead. i like that, since i wont be limited in how my character advances like you are in some games.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I've had a blast in this game too.  Not anything I can see that really makes it stand out from other f2p games.  But it's damn fun.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by schroedinger

well.. bots might not do too well considering you get random encounters every so often that will show up and attack you. Or if you kill the same thing for too long, a very high level demon has a chance to show up and kill ya. (I like that, makes it less dull, definitely woke me up!)

Random NPC encounters, as mentioned above, will do one of 4 things: make 3 mobs attack you at once, spawn a little old man for you to lead to town with the occasional ambush on the way, or give you some random exp and a very nice buff. Every time you complete one of the first 2 successfully, a goofy fat guy riding a cloud will pop up and give you 1 stat point and one resist point. It's just a nice little bit of flavor.

In fact, thats what this game has alot of. Flavor. It may seem "childish and goofy" to those who expect MMOS to mean SRS BUISNESS because it is their second life, but if you want a free way to kill some time and laugh now and then, this is the game. I've seen mobs quote pulp fiction, austin powers, rocky.. and there are so many damn easter eggs it seems like the easter bunny took some crack and went to town, you can barely throw a stick without finding some little clever easter egg or quote.

Also, there are multiple minigames, either run as daily events or activateable ones that drop off npcs. They range from competative whack-a-mole (yes you heard me right, and its fun) to finding your way through a huge, huge maze in a timer, and the quicker you get through, the more loot you get - and the first person to the finish gets to the loot faster. They don't require cash shop items to complete, or even other players, and they ALL give your character a nice chunk of exp, money, and sometimes gear. There is currently a trivia game that rewards you generously with exp. It isn't a breeze, some of the questions are quite hard, and you walk away feeling like you really worked for that exp.

All in all, there are lots of things to do in this game. It doesn't feel grindy, the speed is quick and you can go through the game doing multiple things besides kill, quest, repeat without need to touch a dime of real money. I haven't seen a game with that sort of mechanism for leveling so far in a p2p or f2p environment.

Yes, I will have to agree to... agree! The focus for this game seems to be that much-bandied-about word... FUN!

The breadth of content, the depth of the many and varied systems all seems to point towards (after making the developer some money) giving the users/players a variety of ways to play the game and reach the same point at whatever pace the user feels they need to go. If you want to powerlevel, go ahead. If you can only spend a few hours one day, a few more a couple of days later... you can still enjoy it, and if you just want to group up with some buddies to frolick around in the maize fields, then you can do that as well.

This game still has some untranslated and mis-translated portions, but the overall experience for me is that the game itself is polished and well-thought out. Given enough time and resources (and some seriously funny translators) this game could easily become a home to a wide range of people with an international scope.

Fingers crossed OB doesn't implode!

ps - Yes, there are a few things that make this game bot-UN-friendly which is good, it remains to see how committed the company is to keeping it that way =)

• KatealystKatealyst Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by spookydom

Still have a few reservations as to the things like the cash shop and later level grind but lets see how it pans out. It is definatly not the second coming of warcraft but if I think there still may be keys available on Massivly for any interested partys.

Just a heads up to everyone Zentia will be testing the Cash Shop this weekend. Of course, all of the items wont be in there, but a lot of the fun ones will be!

Gate Crasher Event

Help us crash the server on August 5th through the 8th

All players who log on during the event will receive:

* 200 Tokens that are used as currency for the Token Shop

* Full access to the Token Shop where all items will have the modified price of one Token

* Double experience gained for the entire weekend!

* Last opportunity to conquer the Heavenly Test and earn a Blaze Horse before Open Beta

• feralgirlferalgirl Member Posts: 1

I'm not a little kid, and I'm really enjoying this game.The graphics are cartoony, but it's far from a little kids game. 

I like to quest, there are lots of quests, level 35 and have more quests than I know what to do with. Sure you have quests that ask you to kill 40 of this and 30 of that, but there are also quests that are very difficult to complete. It's a very social game, you'll definately need to team up to get some things done. Actually the whole server has to work together to unlock higher levels.

The game has a goofy atmosphere, and is a good break from real life stress. :) You can even dance with an NPC for a little afk exp!

Try it...you might be surprised and like it!

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Katealyst

Originally posted by spookydom

Still have a few reservations as to the things like the cash shop and later level grind but lets see how it pans out. It is definatly not the second coming of warcraft but if I think there still may be keys available on Massivly for any interested partys.

Just a heads up to everyone Zentia will be testing the Cash Shop this weekend. Of course, all of the items wont be in there, but a lot of the fun ones will be!

Gate Crasher Event

Help us crash the server on August 5th through the 8th

All players who log on during the event will receive:

* 200 Tokens that are used as currency for the Token Shop

* Full access to the Token Shop where all items will have the modified price of one Token

* Double experience gained for the entire weekend!

* Last opportunity to conquer the Heavenly Test and earn a Blaze Horse before Open Beta

Guess that means we are getting wiped like a dirty Bum after the weekend:).  As far as the cash shop gos this will be the gamebreaker for me if it turns out to be a pay to win game then I will not be following it.  I have nothing against spending money ona F2p game if it has common sense or vanity/pet items. But if it comes down to all the best wepons and armour and crafting mats beeing cash shop only I am out. Which is a shame if that is the case as this is the most fun I have had in an Mmorpg in a long time.  Anyway, keeping an open mind and looking forward to the Gate Crasher event at the weekend. Cya all in there :)

• PingmeisterPingmeister Member Posts: 51

Am enjoying the Beta a great deal and have every intention of making this my main MMO.

HOWEVER, that is completely dependent on whether the cash shop has game-changers in it.  I am happy to buy bags, mounts and fashion items but if I need cash shop items for high level play I'm out.

• KatealystKatealyst Member Posts: 14

Check out the new ZTV Videocast just in time for Gate Crashers :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wystpT6ZQ

• SusanRezSusanRez Member Posts: 10

Hey we just started Early Access Beta. No character wipe! Keep your character even after OB starts!

SusanRez

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Was in closed beta for a couple weeks.  Had a blast, found a few bugs, had great fun.  It really is a remarkable achievement both from a gameplay and technical perspective.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • fletcherdffletcherdf Member Posts: 1

I am really loving this game. The community is awesome, and it is never hard to get a GM or CMs attention as they are very active. There are a lot of cool events and the game is extremely active. Overal I give it a 9/10 . It has WASD and Click to move, but I would love the ability to mouse-turn. 

It's free, free is good and means you have nothing to lose by trying it!

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Been giving it a chance, but really don't feel much of anything from it.

People say the graphics are "great" but they really aren't and all the disfigured character/enemy designs get old fast.

People say it's fun but it really isnt and jam packed with "run here kill this, run back" stuff.

It's just kind of mindless with very little to do really.  You level up way to fast and are left thinking "That's it?"  40+++ in 2 or 3 days through quests shows that also..

Also, the community?  The hell are you talking about...?  So few people play the game that when you see someone else they usually freak out and friend invite you ASAP and follow you around while trying to start a conversation..  Forums are just as dead also, much like here..

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by zellmer

Been giving it a chance, but really don't feel much of anything from it.

People say the graphics are "great" but they really aren't and all the disfigured character/enemy designs get old fast.

People say it's fun but it really isnt and jam packed with "run here kill this, run back" stuff.

It's just kind of mindless with very little to do really.  You level up way to fast and are left thinking "That's it?"  40+++ in 2 or 3 days through quests shows that also..

Also, the community?  The hell are you talking about...?  So few people play the game that when you see someone else they usually freak out and friend invite you ASAP and follow you around while trying to start a conversation..  Forums are just as dead also, much like here..

Hmm, I played for a couple days and didn't really enjoy it that much. But I have no idea what you were playing when you said that last part...when I played there were tons of people! I saw quite a few people in the starter area by its self. But once I got past that, there even more players. So I really don't know how you thought there's no community

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Dear jesus mmorpg community is shit.

People just try the game, who the hell cares about graphics? People cared about graphics on Aion and that game was a flop because of it's horrible grind, i'm sure the game is better now with updates but they should of given more quest options when they released the game.

Look at WoWs graphics, it makes you puke but the game is so popular anyways, i personally don't like the game but millions of others do.

Try the game before you judge it's a great metaphor when it comes to games. Do you even spell metaphor like that? i don't think so oh well.

• azaprilazapril Member Posts: 1

It looks cartoonish but its really fun :)

I had doubts downloading the game at first when i saw the pictures

but thought of giving it a try and I never regret trying it :)

• KadiaKadia Member Posts: 30

This game is fun at lower levels but at higher levels you will  have to spend a lot of real money if you want to be any good.  ( talismans ) / or hundreds of hours of your time to get enough money to buy the shop items with ingame gold. They overprice things in the shop too..