Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adventure/exploration game...I'm dying here.

StyijStyij Member Posts: 186

Dose anyone know of a game that is more focused on adventuring/exploration than on grinding mobs/red crosses? I like exploring and being rewarded for it.

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

LotRO gives you titles and other crap for finding a new area for the first time, but if you ask me, Mortal Online was great for exploration - there is just no point to it beyond exploring for the hell of it. Which is how it should be imo.

In essence, wanting a reward for exploring is *still* grinding red crosses.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

It's a decade old, but Asheron's Call can be a great game for exploration. Yes you can dungeon crawl for the entire time you play the game, but there are some really neat vistas to be found throughout.

There really isn't a reward to doing so, other than the grand adventure of it all.

Back when I did play, I accomplished my goal of circumnavigating the map following the beaches. It took a considerable amount of time, but it was rewarding running from Hebian-To to Hebian-To :P

• StyijStyij Member Posts: 186

I did play LotRo for quite awhile and the exploring was ok. MO is still too broke. DF was cool except getting raped as soon as you set foot outside your clan city and neither game really provided an interesting "exploration" component coupled with reward.

How about a Tale in the Desert, anyone?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Kaneth

It's a decade old, but Asheron's Call can be a great game for exploration. Yes you can dungeon crawl for the entire time you play the game, but there are some really neat vistas to be found throughout.

There really isn't a reward to doing so, other than the grand adventure of it all.

Back when I did play, I accomplished my goal of circumnavigating the map following the beaches. It took a considerable amount of time, but it was rewarding running from Hebian-To to Hebian-To :P

Yeah, but did you find Paul Monouga and Babe the Blue Auroch just by running through the forest?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Styij

Hmmm, maybe since you can explore to find a place to settle - which is rewarding in itself.

In that same vein, I recommend Wurm Online as well.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

There are some single playing games in which you have lots of land to explore, and you take pictures of animals, for example african animals, fishes, or pokemon.  And you are rewards of information of that animal and hidden land etc.

The problem I see with exploration games is it's impossible to creat a world that large and diverse enough that people never run out of things to explore.  Aka there is a bound on the playing hours.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Gods and Heroes had a lot of exploration in it. They had quests that made you explore, hidden easter eggs, and even riddles that had you exploring to find items and these gave rewards including peices of armor for a set. Sadly the game never came out of beta. Waiting now on what Heatwave will do with the game since it bought its tools and game assets. DaoC was a good game to explore too, especially ToA and SI, but both expansions never worked well and the game is mostly about RvR now as ToA code was removed I believe.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

EQ2 has one time xp rewards for exploring new areas. You can acutally gain a few levels this way but its not something you can focus on. You are going to have to quest level too in order to not get raped going to much higher level areas without invis/feign. I wouldn't exactly call it an exploration/adventuring game like Vanguard, though.

Originally posted by mmoguy43

EQ2 has one time xp rewards for exploring new areas. You can acutally gain a few levels this way but its not something you can focus on. You are going to have to quest level too in order to not get raped going to much higher level areas without invis/feign. I wouldn't exactly call it an exploration/adventuring game like Vanguard, though.

Vanguard was actually pretty good. It's interesting it didn't catch on but that just goes to show how important release/first impressions are.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Ryzom is a good bet too.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Dose anyone know of a game that is more focused on adventuring/exploration than on grinding mobs/red crosses? I like exploring and being rewarded for it.

What is 'adventuring/exploration' supposed to mean?