Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEVER Pre-Order!

Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

When will people ever learn that preordering something, especially an MMO game, is generally a bad idea? Every single launch day there is always people saying "I wish I never preordered this game". This is because game companies don't like to use beta to fix problems but only as a way to secure your money before people realize at launch day, nothing broken in beta was fixed, there's missing features, and much much more.

You'd think people would learn by now to wait until reviews are made, bugs are ironed out if they EVER are, and they are 100% positive that they are getting what they think they're paying for.

It's called smart shopping, people!

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

When will people ever learn that preordering something, especially an MMO game, is generally a bad idea? Every single launch day there is always people saying "I wish I never preordered this game". This is because game companies don't like to use beta to fix problems but only as a way to secure your money before people realize at launch day, nothing broken in beta was fixed, there's missing features, and much much more.

You'd think people would learn by now to wait until reviews are made, bugs are ironed out if they EVER are, and they are 100% positive that they are getting what they think they're paying for.

It's called smart shopping, people!

ive pre order plenty of game mmos i understna di may or may not like it BUT its ussly just the single player games i regret lol but i dont go to forums and QQ about it

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Ive never preordered an MMO, unless you count putting $5 down on Aion to get into beta and never picking up the game at the store. I have preordered two console games in my life. Doom 3 for the original xbox and LOZ Twilight Princess for the gamecube. Single player PC games arent even a consideration and I wait at least six months for the inevetible patches before buying. 

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68

You're missing the perspective of many gamers who make a point of pre-ordering.

Some people are willing to play a game that isn't finished being debugged and polished so that they can be ahead of the curve. If everyone followed your suggestion then by the time the population surged to match the completeness of the game those who had pre-ordered would be far ahead of everyone else. People in those circumstances are paying now for an advantage later.

Often times, in PvP-centric games, Pre-Ordering, and thus starting on release day means being ahead of the curve and can aid in avoiding ganking during the leveling process, an option that is almost impossible to achieve otherwise.

Others pre-order for the added bonuses. Such as early starts. If they were intending to buy the game on launch day anyway, why not pre-order for bonuses?

It's true that there are some individuals who pre-order games because they are interested in a game despite not being staunch followers of the game or it's IP. Those individuals may save money if they waited to see the response from others, whereby they may chose to avoid it altogether. But those individuals aren't typically the type who pre-order games anyway, so who is the demographic this topic was intended for?         Edit: typos.

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.

• jacgerjacger Member Posts: 8

I agree with KaoRyx. Pre-ordering is making sure that you get to play on the beta and that means you get to be one of the first players to experience the game, thus giving you an advantage when the game is actually released for open beta.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

100% agree with the OP.

If you haven't beta tested the MMO, DO NOT PREORDER. You are not only doing yourself a disservice, you are ruining the industry for everyone else.

Because the trailer looks good does not mean the game will be good.

Because the trailer shows boobs does not mean you will get sex playing the game, are you 5?

Because the game shows no bugs in the trailer does not mean it won't be full of them on release (Vanguard anyone?).

Because the game says it has no grind does not mean it's true (every Korean game).

Don't be stupid, think before you buy. You can live without a headstart / collector's edition / fluffy bunny, trust me.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by bastionix

100% agree with the OP.

If you haven't beta tested the MMO, DO NOT PREORDER. You are not only doing yourself a disservice, you are ruining the industry for everyone else.

Because the trailer shows boobs does not mean you will get sex playing the game, are you 5?

Because the game shows no bugs in the trailer does not mean it won't be full of them on release (Vanguard anyone?).

Because the game says it has no grind does not mean it's true (every Korean game).

Don't be stupid, think before you buy. You can live without a headstart / collector's edition / fluffy bunny, trust me.

So, you and the OP say that no one should pre-order, just hand out until the reviews come out. You do realize this means that no one could buy the game because we'd all be waiting for someone else to do it first. I'll stick with my pre-orders, I've got enough money that 50-100 bones isn't going to kill me.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• TehJackalTehJackal Member Posts: 98

Blah.... I pre-order just about every game I buy... why? Because I know im going to play it for at least a few months. I also want to know for a fact that I am going to be able to get the game by the time it starts. I am not some super must get to the end content freak but I like starting the game along with everyone else who starts at launch. I put a good deal of faith into the developers who make the games I end up playing and I havent been let down.... why because I know what to expect. I do a lot of research even without getting into some betas. I am not the kind of person who thinks because a game gets released there wont be buggs and such.

I usually get let down by the Devs trying to fix the games later on after months have passed and then they kill it for me...

Plus I do like special hats XD

Originally posted by skeaser

100% agree with the OP.

So, you and the OP say that no one should pre-order, just hand out until the reviews come out. You do realize this means that no one could buy the game because we'd all be waiting for someone else to do it first. I'll stick with my pre-orders, I've got enough money that 50-100 bones isn't going to kill me.

No, what I'm saying is wait until some info is out about the game.

You know why right? Because if you don't and everyone acts like sheep, the industry can keep making garbage after garbage MMO. Unlike console game that have testing before they are released by the platform company, PC games do not.

Wait 1 day, wait until a review site you trust gives a lengthy review. Basically, don't be a sheep.

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

Wait 1 day, wait until a review site you trust gives a lengthy review. Basically, don't be a sheep.

1 day for a lengthy review?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

100% agree with the OP.

You know why right? Because if you don't and everyone acts like sheep, the industry can keep making garbage after garbage MMO. Unlike console game that have testing before they are released by the platform company, PC games do not.

Can't trust review sites man. Warhammer Online is still one of IGN's top rated RPGs. I normally don't agree with any professional reviews.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

100% agree with the OP.

[Mod Edit]

MMOs have Alpha testing, closed Betas, and open Betas.... How is there no testing being done...  I have found more console games have bigger game problems than MMOs.... WHY? Because you cant really go back and change a problem that occurs on a platform game like you can an MMO. They can somewhat patch Console games now a days but you can just change the whole system like you can in a MMO. I honestly think most people get their panties in a wad with MMOs because more people decide to play them than even some Devs think and problems can arise when too many people play when the needs arent being met... such as server lagg and the starts being a little rough.

Originally posted by Harpy_Lady

1 day for a lengthy review?

Whatever it takes. For some games 1 day is enough for others it's not. Depending on how widely available the beta was, 1 day can be enough to judge the game. Eurogamer was able to point out that Aion was a grind before release, shame no one listened and acted like sheep only to act surprised and QQ on this and every other forum that they preordered.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Yeah, I don't pre-order anymore either. Last one I did was LOTRO, that actually turned out good for me though. I Pre-ordered to get the lifetime subscription since I knew I really liked the game, I was in beta for almost six months before the game came out. Since then I've played some other MMOs like Tabula Rasa and Age of Conan that made me really thankful I didn't pre-order.

Originally posted by TehJackal

WTF are you talking about? MMOs have Alpha testing, closed Betas, and open Betas.... How is there no testing being done... You have to be a freaking moron to believe the things you post...

Ok, you're just a troll.

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

There's a problem with waiting for a review atleast as i see it, and it is that you are also being a sheep by allowing others to tell you what to think of a game instead of finding out for yourself. I can understand people not buying the game because of a review if that is how you work and more power to you for making yoru own choice that someone else can tell you how to feel, since you find that they are in the same ball field with you on things you like and how they should feel. I cann't do that i want to try the game out for myself, i want to test it, play it, look around in it, even talk to the people which i am playing with at the time. I was always told as a younging that there are two types of people in the world, those that are okay with reading about beautiful places and facanating things, and then people who want to see those things and feel those things for themselves. I always liked being the latter, and i can deal with all the things that come with it, but i can understand how some are okay with being the former. This is just my opinion and is just as valid as any out there. i can vary much apperate all the opinions in the thread even if i don't aggree with them all. take care, and have a good one.

WTF are you talking about? MMOs have Alpha testing, closed Betas, and open Betas.... How is there no testing being done... You have to be a freaking moron to believe the things you post...

Ok, you're just a troll.

Oh yes because you stated something completely idiotic and me saying how there is testing being done with MMOs and PC games in general totally makes me a troll....

This is coming down to the same extent as it did in that thread you made yesterday... QQing because someone has enough balls to call you out isnt something to be proud of...

Its cool though... im just going to block your retarded posts off my view of the forums XD

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

If i pre-order game i am very well aware of its state, there for i dont QQ about the quality of a game if i pre-ordered it.

Use brain -> get informed -> make opinion -> pre-order or dont pre-order!

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

Ok, you're just a troll.

Oh yes because you stated something completely idiotic and me saying how there is testing being done with MMOs and PC games in general totally makes me a troll....

This is coming down to the same extent as it did in that thread you made yesterday... QQing because someone has enough balls to call you out isnt something to be proud of...

Its cool though... im just going to block your retarded posts off my view of the forums XD

You need to read what people write before you push reply. I said that there is no testing by the platform for PC unlike consoles. Microsoft and Sony use testers, independent of the game company to test their game before they release it. If it doesn't conform to their standard they go back to the producers and point out the things they want changed / improved or don't allow the game to be published on their platform. PC gaming doesn't have such tests.

I never said there was no testing, I said there was no testing by the platform.

My quote: "Unlike console game that have testing before they are released by the platform company, PC games do not."

Thanks for reading and thanks for blocking my posts, I don't like trolls.

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Elricmerren

There's a problem with waiting for a review atleast as i see it, and it is that you are also being a sheep by allowing others to tell you what to think of a game instead of finding out for yourself. I can understand people not buying the game because of a review if that is how you work and more power to you for making yoru own choice that someone else can tell you how to feel, since you find that they are in the same ball field with you on things you like and how they should feel. I cann't do that i want to try the game out for myself, i want to test it, play it, look around in it, even talk to the people which i am playing with at the time. I was always told as a younging that there are two types of people in the world, those that are okay with reading about beautiful places and facanating things, and then people who want to see those things and feel those things for themselves. I always liked being the latter, and i can deal with all the things that come with it, but i can understand how some are okay with being the former. This is just my opinion and is just as valid as any out there. i can vary much apperate all the opinions in the thread even if i don't aggree with them all. take care, and have a good one.

Well said, particularly the point that review-trusting is often a Sheep-Like behavior as well. You know guys, there's really only two options here. Pre-Order or Don't. Lots of people will do either, and they aren't all sheep. It's a persons choice. I'm not saying everyone should pre-order, but I don't agree with the view of the OP that EVERYONE should not. Box sales are generally the initial value recuperation games need to pay off investments. Companies don't use them as an excuse to release an unfinished product... Companies generally do that because they run out of money OR they are pressured by producers. Producers are the fiscal backbone of any game development and generally have the dev's balls in their hands during the development of a game. What they say goes.

Pre-orders and the additional features they offer are a way to solve many issues. So let's not forget some of the benefits pre-ordering has on the people that DON'T pre-order.

Many pre order games have early-starts. Which means thousands of people will be out of the starting zones early. This reduces server stress and lag in the starting zones. This is better for everyone. Better server stabilit for devs, less competition for resources/mobs for players, and a head-start for the enthusiasts. Win-win-win.

OP and some of the supporters of his points alluded to this: nobody should pre-order because devs are going to keep using pre-orderers to beta test the game and thus release unfinished products. Try and look at this from the stand point that not EVERYONE wants to fuck you over. Sure some games have a dev team who are less than ideal candidates for a good Samaritan award, but they generally aren't trying to fuck over their entire community. If they need more time to release a game, haven't worked kinks, but are coming up on a deadline, they could lose a LOT of box sales by not releasing and delaying so close to release. It's better to give the early entrants a chance to get in and play the game, caring not about the bugs but their own progression. Devs can fix while enjoying a few sales and separation of the crowd. This all seems like a good thing to me.

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.