Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So why do MMORPG gamers hate so many MMORPG games?

QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

I've seen many posts by people who say they aren't playing any MMORPG's right now because "there aren't any good games".  Should people who hate on MMO's all day, but can't even say they are even playing one, just admit they don't like MMO's?

Here is an interview from the HappyVille Pie Competition to illustrate my thoughts.

Mayor Morpg: "Welcome to the HappyVille Pie Competition.  Mr. Fussy McCritik will be judging today. Well Fussy...talk to me about your thoughts on the competition?"

Fussy McCritik: "All of the pies suck.  They make me want to puke. They're all made so people will buy them. I can't stand any pie that is made today."

Mayor Morpg: "Well, to me it sounds like you don't like pie...do you think you really should be judging a pie contest?"

Fussy McCritik: "STFU, I know all about pies.  I'm just waiting for somebody to make a good one."

Mayor Morpg: "Fussy, if there isn't a single pie that you like, then you just don't like pies. Just admit it."

Fussy McCritik: "You don't get it do you? Go back to your World of Walnut pie. I'm done with this interview."

Comments

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

Haters gonna hate, I know is a cliche but is true, some people just hate out of pure hate, for example WoW, we all now that theres a big part of this site community that hates WoW and if you think otherwise you are probably going to get trolled, some people hate WoW for their own personal reasons, some others just hate it because others hate it and don't have a personal opinion about it and some others hate it because thats what they do, AKA Trolls.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

They fell in love with their first MMO, whether it was UO, EQ1, AC, SWG whatever.
    They are trying to recapture that first blush experience. This is impossible because they are suffering from nostalgia and no game can live up to a perfect mental image.
    So they sit in the forum and gripe.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• utopiumutopium Member Posts: 103

I guess it's mostly down to disappointment over the direction the genre has taken. I was fairly happy with walnut pie, but then they started mixing in all sorts of weird ingrdients that made the taste too wierdlike. Just give me a walnut pie without all the banana and anchovy, pretty please.

• XiroXiro Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by uquipu

They fell in love with their first MMO, whether it was UO, EQ1, AC, SWG whatever.

They are trying to recapture that first blush experience. This is impossible because they are suffering from nostalgia and no game can live up to a perfect mental image.

i have to agree, yessir ;P

i'll never recapture my first MMO experience.. never.. and it saddens me to say that, and be truthful about it.. so now i just look for a game thats fun, regardless of what it has to offer, if i enjoy it, its doing its job right?

Man.. Tibia, back in 2001.. those were the days! i tell ya! 

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

I think MMO_Doubter said it best... read my sig below. I will however do my typical "wall of text" attack and bleed your eyes however... for "nostalgia's sake"

Too many new MMO products are being designed by cutting corners, or by making the MMOs into another form of gaming product much different from how MMOs were made years ago (in my opinion).

I was attracted to MMO gaming because I liked how they were designed back then and how they were paid for (subscription only). I do not like how MMO Developers are making MMOs now.

DAoC was my first MMO, loved it. Then I tried EvE... Really loved it, or so I thought... Then I tried LotRO. I have been rolling around in bed with this one ever since ;)

It's not always the first MMO you play that is really your favorite. I have played many other MMOs and have enjoyed them, but one "trend" has not changed... as the years roll by MMOs have been changing, how they are designed, how they are funded, how they "feel" ingame. MMOs are becoming a different creature than what the started out as.

Example: LotRO... I am playing this one, have been since Beta.... but as soon as F2P goes live I will no longer be, because I do not support any MMO with a Cash Shop or Microtransactions. I *used* to play EvE but quit that also in part because of PLEX being essentially a Cash Shop in how it's used by players. I have tried MMOs that have Cash Shops/MT, both F2P and P2P, and I do not like them or enjoy them. I do not agree with, support, or enjoy any MMO where a Player can spend real life cash and gain advantage (no matter how slight) in a MMO. It matters to me.

Another Example: I enjoyed EvE space in how it was designed, how SWG JTL space was designed, and then I tried a new MMO... STO. STO's design for Sector Space doesn't resemble Space at all to me... to me it is a console game design. Nothing wrong with Console games in my opinion, I just don't like how they are made. I could list another dozen examples of how newer MMOs cut corners but won't, there are other threads started for that.

Bottom line is this. I am not a MMO Hater, I just dislike how newer MMO have been designed and Yes I have whined and complained about it. Any customer that loves a particular product would if that product is changed into another version they don't like. I personlly will take my entertainment dollars and spend them for another form of entertainment rather than new MMOs because as a customer I am not satisfied with the new products.

Even though many current Player Customers of newer MMOs really appreciate some of the newer design features of MMOs now, I personally don't like them. That doesn't make me a MMO Hater, just a dissatisfied customer that used to really enjoy MMOs and was willing to spend a awful lot of real life money in subscriptions, retail product purchases, and expansions to enjoy this hobby.

It's as simple as that.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

exactly. These people think they like MMO's but they complain because they can never find that MMO they like. Well, I think it may have something to do with the fact they don't like MMO's so they are all gonna be boring or garbage no matter how good it is or how much they try to make it like the one these people want.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

You continue to post this  "nostalgia" theory and fail to acknowledge that today's MMO's are designed quite a bit differently from their early forebearers and for those who preferred the "old style" today's games are found wanting in terms of gameplay and features.

DAOC was my 2nd MMO and I've been looking for a replacement for quite some time.  Nothing has come even remotely close, not even WAR.  (the influence of WOW's success is much too strong for Dev's to ignore these days)

That said, I did find EVE many years later, and while it is quite different from DAOC, its still  manages to be fun because of its unique implemenation of game play.

What isn't fun is that most other games follow the model started by EQ which reached its peak in WOW and has been poorly copied since then.  Those games (outside of WOW) I dislike.  (hate is too strong a word)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Sev00Sev00 Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Xiro

i have to agree, yessir ;P

i'll never recapture my first MMO experience.. never.. and it saddens me to say that, and be truthful about it.. so now i just look for a game thats fun, regardless of what it has to offer, if i enjoy it, its doing its job right?

Man.. Tibia, back in 2001.. those were the days! i tell ya! 

Everquest back in 2000, Need i say more?

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218

its becuase the human kind needs something to cry about, its just that simple.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Kyleran

DAOC was my 2nd MMO and I've been looking for a replacement for quite some time.  Nothing has come even remotely close, not even WAR.  (the influence of WOW's success is much too strong for Dev's to ignore these days)

That said, I did find EVE many years later, and while it is quite different from DAOC, its still  manages to be fun because of its unique implemenation of game play.

Some people's commitment has been wiped out too often and they vent verbal negative as a result. But also mmo's promise much and most deliver less. Burnt experiences aplenty.

Now, take above post, here is the opposite: The 2 MMO's that I always see as up there, the SUBLIME of gaming experience and why/when MMO's can be the very best gaming experience but often falls far far down on this raised bar.

Let's pray (!) GW2 can pick-up DAOC's mantle. How disappointing if it fails...

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Why do slipknot fans hate on mushroomhead?

Because they feel threatened that there is some kind of discernable competition, which only exists in their heads, and is only pushed by them over and over again. When WAR was coming out all hell broke loose in WoWdom, but nowadays a game just has to have online play to spark that rivalry. This is just what happens when you let man-children debate.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

I enjoyed your post a lot I thought it was quite entertaining =) 

But I don't think that analogy really holds up, because pies are usually about the same, and MMOs have really completely changed in so many ways - not to mention how different they are from each other, I think it's too complex to compare to a pie. A better example might be comparing a traditional pie to those "fruit pies" (you know the hot pocket looking things with sugary flavored goop in the middle). 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• TehJackalTehJackal Member Posts: 98

I love MMO games but there isnt anything I havent already played that I really want to play... i play too much and burn out pretty quick on them sometimes

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Because most are terrible games.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

@Robokapp

that was pure awesome.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by GTwander

@Robokapp

that was pure awesome.

I agree. 11/10.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

You continue to post this  "nostalgia" theory and fail to acknowledge that today's MMO's are designed quite a bit differently from their early forebearers and for those who preferred the "old style" today's games are found wanting in terms of gameplay and features.

What isn't fun is that most other games follow the model started by EQ which reached its peak in WOW and has been poorly copied since then.  Those games (outside of WOW) I dislike.  (hate is too strong a word)

This man got it right.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by Bama1267

This man got it right.

Yes, He said in fewer words what I was tried my best to say.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

Nostaligia does play a role in peoples opinions. Also access, over time the people able to gain access to MMOs have significanty increased over the years, with Broadband internet and such. The other thing is that some just complain to complain it does not stop them from playing a game. The two great examples is World of Warcraft and Sony ... how many people gripe about Activision/Blizzards product and all of Sony's products.

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

I think the truth lies somewhere in the fact that if you have been a mmo player for a very long time, you were on the ground floor in this new genre that only had a few games to play. UO, Everquest, DAOC were the beginning and most mmo gamers packed into the communites they were the most comfortable with .

Nowadays, there are so many mmo's to pick from the genre resembles the console gamers market. There's alot of games to pick from and i believe when dealing with mmo's there is not gonna be that much of a differnance between them, so they tend to be the same old same old to alot of people.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Everyone has their own vision of their ideal MMO, a genre with such broad possibilities. That, and MMOs are hugely expensive, therefore fewer and further between, than games in other genres. Id est, the stakes are higher and people get more passionate, aware of their role as the selective pressure in the evolution of the genre.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

This is exactly it. Nostalgia for whatever someone considered a perfect gaming experience drives most of the griping now. If only the developers hadn't done X, Y or Z, they'd still be playing that game, but since the devs are assholes for (insert reasons here), they left that game and have been pining for their rose-colored memories ever since.

• crockopoopoocrockopoopoo Member Posts: 119

No, that's not exactly it.  You can't boil down the feelings of thousands of people to a simple 'nostalgia' or 'hate' explanation (both words, when applied to MMORPG discourse, are complete cliches anyhow).  I understand the desire to want to slap a one-word label on something and consider the matter closed, human nature is to take the easiest approach to understanding something even if that approach fails to acknowledge the truth.

As Kyleran said earlier, the reality is that the genre has changed incredibly since its early games (UO, AC, etc).  The people that loved those games saw the potential of MMOs as virtual worlds and are largely disappointed with how they've since morphed into derivative/repetitive level treadmills with no real player freedom or choice.

The pie analogy doesn't work;  a more accurate one would be:

Mayor Morpg: "Welcome to the HappyVille Pie Competition.  Mr. Fussy McCritik will be judging today. Well Fussy...talk to me about your thoughts on the competition?"

Fussy McCritik: "These aren't pies.  They're cakes.  Get back to me when you've a) made a pie, or b) correctly labeled your cake as a cake."

*edited for grammar

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

The biggest reason people hate on MMOs is that going from one to another feels the same.  It might have a shiny new wrapper on the outside but the core is exactly the same as the one you had left the new game for.  So when you fight through the same kind of content with similar quest lines and grind it's very easy to start getting grumpy about our choices out there.  As a community we've had so many great hopes on games only to have them crushed time and time again.  At this point we're all waiting for the game that will give us our golden carrot so that we'll be happy.  So we all get our hopes up only to have them crushed and the cycle continues.

I believe that the market has become over saturated with mediocre product meant to be cash cows for their producers.  Our only hope is that the cows wither up and die so that developers might innovate a bit more.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by Lidane

This is exactly it. Nostalgia for whatever someone considered a perfect gaming experience drives most of the griping now. If only the developers hadn't done X, Y or Z, they'd still be playing that game, but since the devs are assholes for (insert reasons here), they left that game and have been pining for their rose-colored memories ever since.

No, that's not it for me.

Many a player liked Vanguard because it was sort of like EQ, but many left because the game was bugged. Many MMO are just very unfinished and unpolished. People can get over nostalgia if the game is good, I think many MMO are just sub quality games.