Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Metal Thread

awiaawia Member Posts: 96

ITT we talk about Metal

Katatonia

Rapture

Hour of Penance

Fleshgod Apocalypse

Morpheus Descends

(old) Cryptopsy

Cynic

Insomnium

Sleep

Immolation

Malevolent Creation

Monstrosity

Ulver

Nokturnal Mortum

Arghoslent

Funebrarum

Quo Vadis

Gorod

Intestine baalism

Dir en Grey

X Japan

Sigh

no pussies allowed

edit: o wow i feel like an idiot i thought i put this in off topic my bad

Comments

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

"Lets talk About The Metal"

and you don't bring up Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath , Judas Priest or even Dio.

Shame on you.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I saw Mushroomhead live at Ozzfest 2003 and it changed my life. Best act there that day, imo.

Also, color me lame, but I think Dethklok is an ever better "fake band" than Spinal Tap. Crazy good tunes.

Otherwise, my cd player rotates between later Disturbed albums, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom and Pantera.

Oh yeah, if you never heard of the Japanese band Maximum the Hormone, they are amazing. They swtich between rap, punk, pop and metal styles in the *same song* and absolutely kill it. Talented as all hell, lemme give you a linkee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwCYxzVMqY0&feature=PlayList&p=B680506B24A1060F&playnext=1&index=7

They are best known for the Death Note intro/outro though, which is how I heard about them. Epic stuff.

If you end up liking it, feel free to use this as your avatar to show your support. I would, but I'm attached to my current one.

Also, Mower kicks ass. I like to give it up to the good local bands.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• arcenemyarcenemy Member Posts: 66

<-------------------- (I know, Im missing the "h")

the best show ever was festimad 2001, slipknot mudvayne biohazard kannon....shame limp bizkit were pussies and decided to not play due to "security concerns"...

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by kuhronusu

"Lets talk About The Metal"

and you don't bring up Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath , Judas Priest or even Dio.

Shame on you.

I agree, but I find it funny that they started "heavy metal", and yet the subgenres out there today are 100x heavier.

You also forgot Anthrax, jerk.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

One thing that really puts me off metal is how they seem to compete with each other to have their band's name be the douchiest, most uninspired and quasi-sinister sounding. That and the overzealous self-stereotyping fanbase sporting long hair and dark band t-shirts, almost always somewhat socially awkward. The music itself, sometimes, is pretty good - but I'm a much bigger fan of the older metal like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. 

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It is kind of funny, cause of the few bands I recognize from that list - I do so either from what some call melodic death metal or from what some call visual kei.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Have you ever been in a Iron Maiden Show ?

Thats Heavy and i can't imagine something Heavier than that.

50's old musicians Running, Screaming and playing like they always did all over the world in a single tour, everyplace they go there are fans there to scream and go crazy with the music.

Hell and i missed one of the best ones... Rock in Rio (the last one actually in Rio, where i live btw) I was only 10. I've watched it on TV though.

Sorry, but Maiden will always be the Heavier , the best, the most Tr00 band in Heavy Metal History.

call me a Fanboy.

• awiaawia Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Praetoriani

One thing that really puts me off metal is how they seem to compete with each other to have their band's name be the douchiest, most uninspired and quasi-sinister sounding. That and the overzealous self-stereotyping fanbase sporting long hair and dark band t-shirts, almost always somewhat socially awkward. The music itself, sometimes, is pretty good - but I'm a much bigger fan of the older metal like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. 

F YEA!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p9lRtEALA4

• SinviperSinviper Member Posts: 169

Let's get some beasts in here.

GIVE IT UP FOR!

AmonAmarth

Deicide

Vital Remains

Nile

Bloodbath

Hammerfall

Cannibalcorpse

Manowar

Scarsymmetry

Solution.45

Originally posted by --Name edited out--

EX-PRO PLAYER IN WOW HERE.THIS GAME IS GOOD! TRUST ME IM USED TO BE THE BEST IN WOW BUT JUST A N00B IN AION. ITS CHALLENGEING , TRY IT!

[Sigh, watch out guys, this dude's pro.]

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Two of my favorites. Sure Maiden is still great.

Sure there is lots of crap out there, but some do it right still. here are 2 vids from my more current favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edBYB1VCV0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t0GRH3yoiI

and a classic from one of my old time favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP1IyCfKhhQ

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461

Been a while since I stopped listening to Maiden or anything of the sort.

Actually that's what I've been into lately:

Candlemass (Pre Rob-Lowe)

Burzum (specially Belus)

Skepticism

Saint Vitus

Electric Wizard

Carcass

And a load of other stuff. I don't have much time to listen to music very often tho. Had to abbandon having a band an all that stuff. Good times.

Also for that guy up there, I'm also from Rio (but not a Maiden fan anymore).

Ultima Online 98~04
    Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

Originally posted by HensenLiros

Burzum (specially Belus)

Skepticism

Saint Vitus

Electric Wizard

Carcass

And a load of other stuff. I don't have much time to listen to music very often tho. Had to abbandon having a band an all that stuff. Good times.

Shame on you too !

Maiden is forever, learn that =P

é nao tem jeito, brasileiro ta em todo lugar  mesmo hehe

Originally posted by kuhronusu

Originally posted by HensenLiros

Burzum (specially Belus)

Skepticism

Saint Vitus

Electric Wizard

Carcass

Shame on you too !

Maiden is forever, learn that =P

é nao tem jeito, brasileiro ta em todo lugar  mesmo hehe

maiden havent put anything out worthwhile since seventh son

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Nightwish!

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• sfallmannsfallmann Member Posts: 95

I'm old, so I don't know much about the newer bands.  Some of the bands I've heard recently try to do the deep, scary voice and come off sounding like Cookie Monster.

For me, no list is complete without Pantera.

Originally posted by Dreathor

Nightwish!

I said no fucking pussies allowed, go away

• arcenemyarcenemy Member Posts: 66

Blood Stain Child

Enter Shikari

SIlent Descent

TimeCry

I've been hooked lately on this new shit called trance-metal, its amazingly better than I ever expected.... image

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

I've been listening to a lot of neo-thrash lately.  Bonded By Blood, Evile, Havok, Lazarus A.D., Grief of War, Demiricous, GAMA BOMB, Susperia, and especially Warbringer.

• NateArcadeNateArcade Member UncommonPosts: 83

Why isn't this in Off-Topic?

...Let me guess, you wanted more views?

• BastioniBastioni Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by awia

Originally posted by Dreathor

Nightwish!

I said no fucking pussies allowed, go away

Nightwish and Rammstein are better than any of those garage bands. I'm glad they're not put in the same category.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I've been listening to a lot of Carach Angren, and Bathory. Oh and throw in some new Decrepit Birth, Brain Drill, and Viraemia (10 string bass player is so badass)

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

What is wrong with you people. Go back to listening to your slipcock crap.

Pantera
    Slayer
    Exhorder
    Black Label Society

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Alexisonfire

Anthrax

Avenged Sevenfold

Black Sabbath

Bullet For My Valentine

Devildriver

Disturbed

Drowning Pool

Iron Maiden

Job For A Cowboy

Killswitch Engage

Korn

Lacuna Coil

Led Zeppelin

Machine Head

Metallica

Motorhead

Nightwish

Slayer

SlipKnot

Steel Panther

Stone Sour

System Of A Down

Trivium

are the ones I like the most I suppose.

?

• zchmrkenhoffzchmrkenhoff Member Posts: 2,241

If you don't appreciate Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Metallica as the best and most necessary bands in the development of the heavy metal sound, then it's likely that the ""metal"" you are listening to doesn't embody the genre at all.

"Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up." - Robert DeNiro

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

I don't know, I always considered myself a person who likes heavy metal.  But then again I always considered heavy metal to be metallica, iron maiden, megadeth, etc.  Not this stuff.  I tried listening to one of those links on Amon Amarth, and holy god.  It's simply SPEED metal, with some guy trying to sound like a demon singing.  I'm not trying to bash it, but IMO there are different types of metal I guess.

Personally, my favorite by FAR is Tool.  I'm not sure they would be considered metal though.  I'm not sure what classification you'd put them in.  But I find their music to be the absolute best.  A Perfect Circle has some of the most melodic sounds I've ever heard.  And I still love Smashing Pumpkins and NIN.  But I think those fall into alternative and experimental or something. 

Doesn't matter to me though.  I just like what sounds good to me.