Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth...a Sandbox?

2»

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

In my opinion, it is more of a hybrid.  The gameplay is sort of old school, and reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies Pre-CU, but only much more refined.  The skill system for building your toon is very flexible, and allows for endless combinations of things. 

Icarus seems to be adding more sandbox like features too, with in-game player housing in the works.  All in all I am really enjoying the game now that I came back a couple weeks ago.  I encourage people to take advantage of the free weekend passes they do semi-regularly.  Give it a try, especially if you are sick of all the other crap out there.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

First of all as some might have noticed I love the game (gamers wise)

But I don't see it as a sandbox, I see it as a open world game.

In a Sandbox I should be able to effect the world where in Fallen Earth I can only effect myself or other players in terms of crafted goods or occamplishing missions together. It does not effect the world really.

2 MMO's come to mind that I feel come the closest to being called a Sandbox, one is EVE, though it aint my type of game due to being confined to being a spaceship, but most feature's show it's sandbox in nature, the other one would be Wurm Online, again not a game I like mainly due to it's looks.

I also loved Star Wars Galaxies, but to me that was more of a hybrid MMORPG with sandbox feature's.

I would agree that housing could give Fallen Earth a minor sandbox feel to it, but as it stands for me it's as said a open world MMORPG.

When I think of sandbox games in general I think about games like the original Sim-City, Spore, Little Big Planet.

When I tihink of open world games I think about Red Dead Redemption, GTA type of games, but those 2 seem to be called Sandbox these day's regardless.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Reklaw

First of all as some might have noticed I love the game (gamers wise)

But I don't see it as a sandbox, I see it as a open world game.

In a Sandbox I should be able to effect the world where in Fallen Earth I can only effect myself or other players in terms of crafted goods or occamplishing missions together. It does not effect the world really.

2 MMO's come to mind that I feel come the closest to being called a Sandbox, one is EVE, though it aint my type of game due to being confined to being a spaceship, but most feature's show it's sandbox in nature, the other one would be Wurm Online, again not a game I like mainly due to it's looks.

I also loved Star Wars Galaxies, but to me that was more of a hybrid MMORPG with sandbox feature's.

I would agree that housing could give Fallen Earth a minor sandbox feel to it, but as it stands for me it's as said a open world MMORPG.

When I think of sandbox games in general I think about games like the original Sim-City, Spore, Little Big Planet.

When I tihink of open world games I think about Red Dead Redemption, GTA type of games, but those 2 seem to be called Sandbox these day's regardless.

A lot of MMO players confuse game features (housing for example) vs non linear, varied playstyle, open world gameplay for a "sandbox".

Housing doesn't make a game a sandbox for example. Most linear games have housing. Player cities don't make a game a sandbox. SWG and AoC have player cities, neither are a "sandbox" because they are heavily restricted or not part of the open world.

• deftskulkdeftskulk Member CommonPosts: 67

I would say that it was a "true" sandbox game...If AP wasn't limited.

I'd put it just a mark under EvE, as far as the concept of sandbox games go.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

I wonder if the people who consider Fallen Earth a sandbox game have leveled more than one character. I got two to level 50 before leaving the game, and despite the characters being as different as possible (opposing factions, one crafting focused and one not), the experience of getting them to level 50 was nearly identical.

Sure, you can start them in different starter towns, but most people go back to collect all the AP, which means you're doing all the exact same quests in the early part of the game. Then everyone goes to the quest hubs and does all the same quests during the middle levels. And even if you don't spin/flip the wheel at all, when you go do quests in the higher level PvP areas, the difference between one faction and the next is generally "I need you to kill 10 of X mob type" and "I need you to collect macguffins off the bodies of the same mob type," which amounts to them being the same quest.

Now, you can focus on crafting, but crafters are going to be either 1) doing the same linear quest chains that everyone else is; or 2) logging in twice a day just to set their crafting queues, and not doing much else besides socializing (or more likely, leveling their non-crafter character).

I think the problem is people have conversations about "sandbox" games without ever acknowledging that not everyone is using the term the same way. I've heard a lot of people call Oblivion a single-player sandbox, but to me Oblivion is a linear game where the optional sidequests have more playable hours than the non-optional linear quest. That's unusual, but it doesn't make it a sandbox. So it is with Fallen Earth -- unusual, but not a sandbox.