Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rated 8.7 (what a joke)

jimmy123jimmy123 Member UncommonPosts: 314

why is a game have such a high rating when u cant even play it ?

GET THE SERVER'S SORTED untill then i not gonner touch it. one more to add to the ever growing list of unhappy WOW players.image

Comments

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Jorev

Trolling along lalala..
    Bye, less lag for me thanks.image

When did a gripe turn into a troll?  Lots of players can't play the game now, the WoW forums are down and up.  Guess people can't get mad and vent thier frustrations without someone calling it a troll.

Less lag is meaningless when you can't even play the darn game image

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

I agree 100%. Hes aloud to vent. Hes not a troll, I do it all the time.
    This game IS very frustrating, so instead of supporting Blizzard's crappy servers, why dont you step in and do something? I think it's a good idea to vent, because Blizzard probably searches forums and such to see what the community thinks about their game.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

I actually hear from a lot more people how they have never had server/connection issues with WoW. Of course you will hear the complainers more in the forums because the happy people are in the game playing, but the fact is that it's only certain people experiencing this and probably based on area - otherwise the game would be empty. Have you seen how many servers are Med-High population 24/7?

I experienced issues with connecting twice since release when I got the forum-famous "Authenticating" message and that was it. I've read several reviews stating that it appears to be the east coast more then west coast too. In fact, I think I've had connection issues more often with every MMORPG released on the market then I have had with WoW.

So all things considered (rated the best MMORPG by dozens of reviewers, gamers, etc.) I think the 8.7 rating here is more then justified. Look at the rating options... you only have one section for connectivity and lag. So if everyone loves the game in every other area but just has a problem connecting, it is not going to kill the overall score.

But I sympathize with your frustration... It sucks, but it's still not a very good argument against all the ratings from people who have only had light connection problems or none at all.

Here's some more detail on the issue for everyone to talk about... The biggest connection rant I've seen so far: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=2097633&p=1&tmp=1#post2097633

As of the time I saw this, there were 119,764 views and only 3,091 posts. That means less then 3% of the people that viewed it actually responded to the petition. Of course it still shows 3k+ subscribers are upset about this, but 3k out of 800,000 approx. current US subscribers (according to the latest press-release) is still a very small minority even if you factor in the short time the post has been available (since 3/22).

That is also $45,000/month of lost revenue if everyone on that petition quits (although I doubt that) so Blizzard will continue trying to resolve the issue, but to anyone arguing that it will be the downfall of Blizzard, or destroy everything that is good about it is being a little extreme.

If only MMORPG.com gave the numbers as to the amount of people that reviewed the game, and are actually currently subscribed to it, etc. then we'd know how appropriate the 8.7 rating really is. image

EDIT: Changed 500,000 US estimate to 800,000 after confirming it of the latest press-release

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by ZenNature

Here's some more detail on the issue for everyone to talk about... The biggest connection rant I've seen so far: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=2097633&p=1&tmp=1#post2097633
    As of the time I saw this, there were 119,764 views and only 3,091 posts. That means less then 3% of the people that viewed it actually responded to the petition. Of course it still shows 3k+ subscribers are upset about this, but 3k out of 500,000 approx. US subscribers is still a very small minority.
    That is also $45,000/month of lost revenue if everyone on that petition quits (although I doubt that) so Blizzard will continue trying to resolve the issue, but to anyone arguing that it will be the downfall of Blizzard, or destroy everything that is good about it is being a little extreme.
    If only MMORPG.com gave the numbers as to the amount of people that reviewed the game, and are actually currently subscribed to it, etc. then we'd know how appropriate the 8.7 rating really is. image

Your numbers are a little off.  True 119,764 times it has been viewed, but this does not mean by different people.  Say 10,000 people have viewed it 19 times, that would be 190,000 views.  This would mean that almost 33% of those viewing are upset about it.

Further, not all players go to the message board.  I have come to realize that WoW boards and no better than VN boards do why bother?

Of course here is the biggest thing to think about.  It has been how many months and they still have not resolved the problem?  Yet they have managed to expand into Europe and Korea.  I am not aware of EQ having months of where thousands of players had this problem.  I hate EQ btw, but I am just pointing out that you can have a large amount of subscibers and still put out a stable game that everyone can play. 

Originally posted by JulianDracos
    Your numbers are a little off.  True 119,764 times it has been viewed, but this does not mean by different people.  Say 10,000 people have viewed it 19 times, that would be 190,000 views.  This would mean that almost 33% of those viewing are upset about it.
    Further, not all players go to the message board.  I have come to realize that WoW boards and no better than VN boards do why bother?

They're not off because they are estimates image If I was trying to be exact to the number, then you could say I was off. I already thought about the issues you've addressed but there are other ones in favor of my numbers that you overlooked such as people posting multiple times. For all we know, all 3k posts could have been made by only a handful of real people because you can change your posting name as many times as you have different characters in WoW.

I've also looked on the VN boards, here, and several other WoW forums and as I stated, that WoW petition on the main forums was the largest complaint thread I have seen about it so far. That means the rest of the boards just reveal a different, but far lower amount of complaints then the main boards. Even statistically if you could somehow track every person with a valid complaint against the total subscriber base, it just appears from everything I've read and seen that you wouldn't even reach 1% of the main player base that has a problem here. Even with that low of a percentage, they are obviously working on it through regular server fixes and changes to try and resolve it so it's not like they are doing the worst job ever.

Also you state your point as being that you can have a large amount of subscribers and still have a stable game, but WoW is the ONLY MMORPG game ever to be this successful in such an unexpectedly short amount of time. They have an obscene amount of servers that they opened to accomodate everyone, and I for one, am not the least surprised to hear they are having difficulty keeping up since the game is still on the top-selling list at several gaming stores and adding subscribers more everyday. Five months in to release might be inexcusable for some, but I think they're putting up a good fight for a company that has never touched the MMORPG genre until now. It's a whole different beast then they are used to, so I think they'll work it out as best they can and as soon as they can.

Just another idea to throw out there.. Maybe WoW just isn't for the hardcore gamer in it's current state and the people complaining are more wishing it was there for them all the time 24/7? I don't get to play it often... Maybe a few times a week or less and for only an hour or two at a time. Sometimes I jump on for an entire weekend but it's rare. So even if they had my server down for a week straight, I would just go do something else and not really care because they are fairly crediting people left and right for any days the servers have been down. But if you're really getting angry and frustrated at connectivity so much that it kills the enjoyment of the game, then just step away and take it easy for a bit. Do something else or play another game until it's back up. If you're so addicted to it that you can't stand to step away for an hour, a day, or a week, then it just goes to prove how great a game it is to you, once again validating the 8.7 score on this site.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Originally posted by BarryManilow

Originally posted by Jorev

Trolling along lalala..
    Bye, less lag for me thanks.image

When did a gripe turn into a troll?  Lots of players can't play the game now, the WoW forums are down and up.  Guess people can't get mad and vent thier frustrations without someone calling it a troll.

Less lag is meaningless when you can't even play the darn game image

Here are some clues to uncover trolls:

1. Handle is a generic name with obvious number pattern, the kind of handle someone creates in a hurry in order to make trolling posts, not the kind of handle one would choose for longterm identification.

2. Registered  10 days prior to posting, obviously not a big contributor to these forums and probably not a longtime reader either, at least not with this handle.

3. Short, non descriptive attack post err venting post, lol, which does not offer any constructive criticism.

You're welcome for that crash course in human behavior and psychology, please send payment via Paypal.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• AmatayAmatay Member Posts: 170

He's a troll. He says clear as day that he isn't playing the game.

--------------------------------------------
    # of deleted posts thus far: 1

• LoStCaUz3LoStCaUz3 Member Posts: 1,154

Replying to these is stupid-Ironic? Yes...- I love it most when people get all defensive.

But please, continue, I always get a laugh of reading all of your posts.

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

As soon as Blizzard finds their Wal-mart reciept, I'm sure they will return the servers in hopes of exchanging for $40 model (opposed to the $19.99 model, which they purchases in '98), as they are unhappy customers.

• AtomicusAtomicus Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by LoStCaUz3

Replying to these is stupid-Ironic? Yes...- I love it most when people get all defensive.
    But please, continue, I always get a laugh of reading all of your posts.

I agree, it is funny. When Everquest first cme out it was worse than World of Warcraft on its release. You have people often comparing MMOs that have been out for already 2 years with those that have been out for less than a year.

One thing you got to remember about MMORPG.com ratings is they are by only a small sum of those who play the game. So having the rating it does shows how many people on MMORPG.com subscribe and play WoW.

----------------------------------------------+
    | Microsoft Windows XP Pro x64
    | ABIT AN8 x32 Nforce4 SLI x16
    | AMD Athlon FX-60 Dual-Core 2.6GHz
    | Corsair 3.1 GB DDR 400 Dual-Channel
    | (2x) BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
    | Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    | Western Digital 250Gb SATA

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Closing this thread due to trolling and thread hijacking (haven't seen more than three posts that discusses the actual topic of the thread.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

This discussion has been closed.