Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think SWG will try to pull upon the release of SWTOR?

13»

Comments

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by jokergulf

If anything both companies should hook up and plan something. I mean they are both in the SW universe, make some kind of interaction.

that is an absoulutly horrbid idea. anything SOE get's their hands on DIES. If SOE even advertised for SWTOR i wouldn't give SWTOR two cents. SOE needs to stay the *** away from everything

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

If they're smart, they'll pull the plug on their whole operation and just give up.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by Deewe

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm not sure they need to do too much.  You are assuming that SWTOR will offer the same thing that current players of SWG enjoy.  Its possible it won't, and while there might be an initial drop, some people may go back to SWG once they've tired of the new game.

Besides, SWTOR might just suck, you never know.

Right and for TOR if it's really cookie cutter, vs a more adult oriented game like AoC, I guess many will try it out and leave as fast as they came; at least the more older players.

Because you know exactly what older people want , right? I'm a big fan of star wars, and I like AoC.  I don't like SWG, it is boring the servers are dead, the devs don't give a damn.  I am more willing to spend money on a game that the dev team cares about and the company pours all kinds of money into it, to bring a good game to the table than to play some craptastic game that is on it's death bed.

It should go F2p. That's about how much is worth of that game. Anything else would be an insult and a rip off.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

If SWG can survive wow, it can surly survive any other game even though this is debatable weather SWG actually survived wow yet the game didnt get shut down so we can consider that its still open grounds.  SWG still has more servers then many newer mmos; warhammer, aion, vanguard, age of conan. Thinking about it now though, I havent really payed close enough attension to SWG to know what they could possibly be brewing up for the release of SW:TOR. Has any one?  Sure a few say they still play it, but the majority I dont think do and even like to think about it.  They have a bad taste in there mouth.  

I dont think SWG can get any more hurt then it already is.  The only thing I can see from coming from SW:TOR release is maybee more players liking the Star wars universe and wanting to give SWG a go maybee ontop of TOR.   

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Anyone else remember the effect WoW's release had on SWG's population? I remember SWG taking a pretty significant hit back then, and that was way before their purported 11 milion subscribers.

I have little doubt that another population hit will come to SWG. The only question in my mind is can SWG survive another exodus? Quite honestly I'll say no, simply because of the cascading nature of it. I think you'll see entire guilds migrate, and friends follow friends to another MMO.

• SandboxGamerSandboxGamer Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by eycel

If SWG can survive wow, it can surly survive any other game even though this is debatable weather SWG actually survived wow yet the game didnt get shut down so we can consider that its still open grounds.  SWG still has more servers then many newer mmos; warhammer, aion, vanguard, age of conan. Thinking about it now though, I havent really payed close enough attension to SWG to know what they could possibly be brewing up for the release of SW:TOR. Has any one?  Sure a few say they still play it, but the majority I dont think do and even like to think about it.  They have a bad taste in there mouth.  

I dont think SWG can get any more hurt then it already is.  The only thing I can see from coming from SW:TOR release is maybee more players liking the Star wars universe and wanting to give SWG a go maybee ontop of TOR.   

SWG didn't survive WOW.  They immediately abandoned the CURB and hastily did over 6 months not one, but TWO revamps (CU and NGE) that tried to MAKE SWG into WOW.

Indeed, SWG resembles WOW more than it does the original SWG these days.

• liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118

SWG didn't survive WoW and the only reason it's still up and running is because Smed can't admit he was wrong and put the game out of its misery.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by liberalguy

SWG didn't survive WoW and the only reason it's still up and running is because Smed can't admit he was wrong and put the game out of its misery.

Thats right SWG is losing money hand over fist and SOE allows Smed to keep it running so he doesnt have to admit he was worng. This may not be the most rediculous "I hate SOE" post but its close.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• PK4GoldPK4Gold Member UncommonPosts: 62

Considering how everything Star Wars is the sole property of Lucasfilm Ltd. they will do whatever Mr.Lucas  wants them to do even shut it down!

How many times we have to beat the dead horse? It is not SOE's game its Lucasarts! same with SWTOR .

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by PK4Gold

Considering how everything Star Wars is the sole property of Lucasfilm Ltd. they will do whatever Mr.Lucas  wants them to do even shut it down!

How many times we have to beat the dead horse? It is not SOE's game its Lucasarts! same with SWTOR .

At the end of the day Lucasarts could care less as long as they are getting there licensing fees + whatever other amounts that was agreed upon, from SOE.  Once SOE decides the game is not bringing in enough money for them, then they will drop it.

Mr Lucas hasn't had a real say in Lucasarts for some time. It's to the point where he really doesn't give a darn about the SW licenses as long as they are bringing money into the company.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Thomas2006

Mr Lucas hasn't had a real say in Lucasarts for some time. It's to the point where he really doesn't give a darn about the SW licenses as long as they are bringing money into the company.

Kinda started with Ewoks tbh. Jar-Jar was the final confirmation he was no longer interested in a "story", just the $$.