Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bye-Bye WoW, Maybe?

FaintFaint Member Posts: 82

I'm thinking about switching from WoW to something eles. It doesn't have anything that's making me want to play it over my Gamecube Emulator (Bust A Move 3000 for 4 hours is so fricken fun.) But here's the only problem, what should I switch to?

I'm open to all ideas. Nubs, don't post links to Web Browser RPG's.

---------------------------

A Paid to Search that pays!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.2Ghz
512MB of Ram
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU 64mb
Realtek AC'97 Audio
WinXP Home

Games playing : None. Please PM if you know any good games.

Comments

• jackman11118jackman11118 Member Posts: 399
    Try switching to MxO. Great PvP, Great combat, and not everyone and thier mother crafts, becuase its hard.

• Originally posted by jackman11118
    Try switching to MxO. Great PvP, Great combat, and not everyone and thier mother crafts, becuase its hard.

Great combat? image

Just don't fight more than one person at a time ;p

• perendengueperendengue Member Posts: 29

city of heros has the best combat mechanics I have seen in an mmorpg..

but if you are looking for something without the incessent contant slaughter then I would recommend a tale in the desert (http://www.atitd.com)

I have thought about matrix online but with my current funk in regards to combat and the n+1 lvl grind I can't bring myself to do it

perendengue

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

EQ2 maybe if your into the fantasy setting, its very slick and well done from what I saw (not my thing though really).

EVE-online is the only game that manages to keep me playing longterm and I'm keeping my eyes on SEED:THC but thats like early '06

GL finding your next game.

• jackman11118jackman11118 Member Posts: 399

Originally posted by Etaanaru

Originally posted by jackman11118

Great combat? image

Just don't fight more than one person at a time ;p

uh, yea the combat is great. Sorry, id rather kill one enemy at a time and look cool doing it then look stupid killing multiple things. i dunno, i like it how in combat what you do actually matters. Hit someone really hard, you knock them over. WoW you crit a mob and it goes... "eh? who cares, boring combat is your friend"

in fact, i have yet to see a combat system as involving as MxO's.

• Matrix Combat is just too cool!

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Originally posted by jackman11118

in fact, i have yet to see a combat system as involving as MxO's.

City of Heros has a play style somewhat similar to MxO's, though, it doesnt consist of a number generator and slow time motion. However, the action bar, and the controls will allow you to combine certain damages and such, depending on how you have chained your attacks.

And to stay on topic. The only thing I can suggest to you is to look through our game list and do a thorough check on our list, not just the marketed mmo's mind you . I have found some of the lesser corperate backed games to have a little luster in them :)

Good luck none the less!
    null

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Prid3r

Matrix Combat is just too cool!

I said that too....the first week i played it. then i soon realized that the occasional new move u learn adds little to the repetition. the same moves over and over and over which is the same for most MMOs...MxO is no different.

Rock, Paper, Scissors Neo!!! that's the key!

Joined - July 2004

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    I guess Im not gonna be much help coz I just switched TO WoW from EQ2. Personally if it wasnt for WoW I would probably not be playing an MMO right now. I guess MxO is your best bet for something different.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• LightSlayerLightSlayer Member Posts: 182

If you want casual I would suggest Guild Wars, which I am going to play.

If you have a lot of time, I would try Everquest 2, it sounds fun. I would play it but I don't have the time for the grind.

---------------------------------------------

• RalreRalre Member Posts: 3

Well Imho MxO sux royally,

Interlock system sux. THey have this great idea ofr a game and ruined it with the addition of that crappy fighting style.

I played the beta, I do not believe it has gotten any better in the actual game, teh system sucked then, it most likely sux now.

If you are a fan of the movies and like to roleplay as neo, then maybe this is the game for you... But personally if you want an all around better game, then go for WoW, about 10000x better than MxO...

that is my opinion, if you feel different, then u r entitled to post it...

But my opinion stands and I will do everything I can to keep anyone I know from getting MxO...

EUS clan
    Games playing - JO, JOE, SWG, HL2, CSS

• FaintFaint Member Posts: 82

I'm going to download EQ2 trial and see what it's like and go from there.

---------------------------

A Paid to Search that pays!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.2Ghz
    512MB of Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU 64mb
    Realtek AC'97 Audio
    WinXP Home

Games playing : None. Please PM if you know any good games.

• jnewljnewl Member Posts: 26

I love these guys who think they're an authority on a game because they "played in beta." Well, I was in the closed beta for MxO, too, and I was pretty lukewarm about it at the time. One big reason is because I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and I could never fully understand the system. I knew we weren't being shown huge parts of the game, since those were being reserved for release, but I still felt like the parts I was seeing basically amounted to more of the same ol' same ol'. However, now I do understand the game and I can see the forest for the trees, and I think it's great. I can't wait for the live actors and the storyline to kick in.

Don't listen to people who tell you they "played in beta" and teh game suXXors. Almost to a man, they don't know what they're talking about. Wait a few weeks to hear from people who have actually played the live version for awhile to get a more accurate evaluation of it.

Anyway, in case you can't tell, I'd recommend MxO if the theme appeals to you.

Some ancient cultures used to worship cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

• kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624

Originally posted by Zizywa

If you got the computer power I can recommend EverQuest II. I tried WoW for awhile but I couldn't really get into it. (Yes yes I know a lot of people prefer WoW. *smile*).
    To me EverQuest II is a more epic game... and it's a game I long to play everytime I am not online.
    WoW (to me), felt too easy. And thus it got boring very fast. *hides from the the WoW fans*

WoW is very popular, but it has its detractors just like any other game. Feel free to judge it all you like! I'll support your right to do so. image
  • go4brokego4broke Member Posts: 180

One thing is for sure.

MMO's aren't for everyone. I think thats something everyone seems to forget when people start getting bored after a few months with one of these games.

• BilasBilas Member Posts: 78

I am playing WoW now and think it is a good game, but it is starting to get on me a little.  I guess I was hoping for better PvP.  I am thinking of getting SWG have you thought about that?  Maybe Anarchy Online, It is free to play now I think.  I would play EQ2 if it had PvP but hopefully they have a Pvp server in the future.  I heard them saying a while back they were not going to do this though... *sigh* oh well.  I was really hyped about D&L still excited but pushed back until Nov. so...

Good luck in whatever game you choose!

Bilas

'She just left. She didn't even care enough to cut off my head or set me on fire. I mean, is that too much to ask? You know? Some little sign that she cared?"

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Zizywa
    If you got the computer power I can recommend EverQuest II. I tried WoW for awhile but I couldn't really get into it. (Yes yes I know a lot of people prefer WoW. *smile*).
    To me EverQuest II is a more epic game... and it's a game I long to play everytime I am not online.WoW (to me), felt too easy. And thus it got boring very fast. *hides from the the WoW fans*
    And if your computer aren't equipped for EQ2 there is always EQ1. image
    If you do not mind old graphics you could also try Ultima Online. Still the MMORPG with most depth and freedom...

Or you can literally completely take her advice and get the Sony All Access Pass and play EQ1, EQ2, SWG, Planetside, and 2 of their web driven games for $22 a month. That should keep ya busy awhile and give you 2 sci fi and 2 fantasy setting games.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• IragaelIragael Member Posts: 29

I'd have to agree with Fadeus, I've played EQ, EQII, Planetside, SWG and Tanarus. For the full package at 22$ a month or so, i'd say that is your best bet for now.

~Iragael Vandayanaa,
    Elder of the Vandayanaa Dynasty,
    Knight,
    Order of the Shield,
    Sacred Silver Blades.
    My icon is copyright Jonathon Earl Bowser.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

My recommendation:

Right now you're paying about $15/month for WOW

Go out, get EQ2: 39.95 and SWG with JTL: about $30 total

Then get a Station All Access Pass - $21.95 a month
    You get to play possibly the best Sci-Fi MMORPG out there as well as EverQuest 2
    Also, if you get kinda bored go out and grab the PlanetSide w/Core Combat expansion for $19.95 and you can use the same Station ID using your all-access pass to play that as well.

That's right... 3 big name MMO's all for $21.95 a month

If you have friends who play EQ1 and you feel like joining them occasionally? Grab EQ Platinum (all but the last 2 expansions) for $18 bucks and you can play that too.

WoW is ok
    But I use this equation:

WOW @ 15/mo < EQ1 + EQ2 + PS + SWG @ 21.95/mo

Nothing beats the value. If I get bored with EQ2 and/or SWG I can hope into PlanetSide and play one of the best 1st Person MMO PVP games. If I'm in the mood to get together with old friends and do an old fassioned dungeon crawl or raid in EQ1 I can do that too. And SOE has about half a dozen other freebie titles that you can download and play with the SOE All Access Pass as well. Tanarus and others... also fun but not well known.

If you're looking for a big bang for a few bucks that's the way to go. You get the variety of several games for a little more than the price of a single MMO.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• BilasBilas Member Posts: 78
    Elnator that makes good sense! image

I was going to get SWG anyway so this is just a big bonus!  Think I'm doing this tonight....

Bilas 

'She just left. She didn't even care enough to cut off my head or set me on fire. I mean, is that too much to ask? You know? Some little sign that she cared?"

• marctmarct Member Posts: 75
    I am playing Saga of Ryzom, for 4 months now.  It seems good to me, first MMO.  Still things to be desired.  Don't know if it would be for you or not.  Worth a try though in my opinion. 
  • DewfireDewfire Member Posts: 89

Im playing EQ2 right now and loving it! You don't have to have tons of time to play it, that is unless you want to compete with everyone else ;)

But the Access Pass is a great Idea to get a taste of some of the biggest games out there. Ive played Planetside and SWG both. I miss Planetside alot some days, a truly fun EpicFPS I like to say :) esp if you have a good group of people to play with. SWG can be fun, if you love the Star Wars worlds. Alot of Roleplaying Potential, although Ive been hearing some of the most recent Updates and Patches and some of the Combat Updates they are just now putting into Beta are watering down the potential for the game sadly :(

But give them a try and see what you think!

Dewfire Gnome Paladin EQ2
    Retired: AO, DAOC, EQ, SWG

• drewddrewd Member Posts: 238

Liar!

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Originally posted by drewd
    Liar!
    Are you trying to get a bunch of posts by making stupid, short posts?
    Well, this is +1 for me ::::02::

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there