Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't swim.

Comments

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Xavier, a simple yes/no question for you: if a game has a particular feature, and that feature is generally well-received and well-liked, and other games in the same genre start to include that feature, is it always a bad thing for a later game in the genre to lack that feature? I suspect that you will answer "yes".

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Nice, so we just watch the world as a background not being able to do absolutely anything, fine, I'll just go watch a movie instead.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by Silas26

It just seem to me a bunch of FF XI vet and/or people that played WoW as well as any other MMORPG with jump/swim feel the need for carebear actions.

Let's just say if you don't have what it takes to walk around the lake, you don't have what it takes to play this game.

Your a freak!!

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

Well that doesn't give any true reason other than you are siding with the company rather than your fellow players.

Keep supporting companies that refuse to push the experience forward. Its your money, but I still think your a sucker, and one of two things will happen.

FFXI will die from all their subs going to XIV, or the XI people will not like XIV and stay with XI because by dividing the gamers and putting invisible walls up, is not going to expand they're player base.

So you can stick to your simple minded argument but I believe that simple decision will cost SE dearly. Well see in a year.

FFXI was/is one of the most successful MMO'S of all time.  500k subscriber base for 7-8 years.  It didn't have jumping/swiming and no one cared.

AoC tried to be like WoW (failed).  So did Warhammer and Aion. 

It was a mistake for FFXIV to come out and say they would rival WoW.  FFXIV is designed for those of us that loved FFXI.  FFXIV is possible based solely on the support of the 500k people that stayed with FFXI for the years.

If FFXIV is a big "thank you" to the FFXI playerbase... then that's fine by me.

You also shouldn't assume that most people are die-hards about swiming or jumping.  I don't care one way or another.  You should also realize that a vast majority of people will not let that one aspect of the game dictate their whole opinion.

If FFXIV succeeds or fails, it will have little to do with jumping or swiming.

• Varthanos1Varthanos1 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Swim and jump are mandatory in an MMO for me.

Obviously not the game for me.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by Varthanos1

I wish more people thought the way you did. Then these discussions wouldn't even be an issue. At least some people realize that not every MMO is made for them.

I salute you!

"If I can't play this game with jumping or swiming THEN NO ONE CAN!!!!!!"

• MariouzMariouz Member Posts: 186

Some one point to a document or a link where it says that a game must have something. There is no law that says the game has to have a certain thing, there is no standard ways of doing a game. You saying that makes you ignorant at best, if you can point me to some law in some country that has these rules set in stone I will take that back. What you think is a standard way of doing things means very little it is an opinion, do others share it with you? Probably but it will not go any further than that, it will still be what you perceive that games should be done a certain way and nothing more. Your thoughts even though you argue about them would eventually ruin the gaming industry because according to you what is now standards means that the is the way everything should be made. There is no innovation in your way of thought, you are a person that would keep the game a certain way because it pleases you for it to be that way.

When you see a feature in a game and you really like it but there is another feature that sucks, do you honestly think that it should be standards that it should not suck? Some would agree with you but others would be who cares this is just some person complaining about something, because they are only happy when they complain. You are the type of person that will never be happy because you think that everything should be done in the way you perceive things should be done, I am sorry but there are others around the world, its not your world and it will never be your world, you live in it you do not own it, sorry to inform you that you have to share it with the rest of us.

If you are so passionate about these things you should honestly go and make a game and then come back and prove us all wrong that you made the perfect game with what everyone expects to be there. Trust me there will be people out there that make your little tirade about no jumping/swimming meaninless.

Originally posted by Hrayr2148

Well that doesn't give any true reason other than you are siding with the company rather than your fellow players.

Keep supporting companies that refuse to push the experience forward. Its your money, but I still think your a sucker, and one of two things will happen.

FFXI will die from all their subs going to XIV, or the XI people will not like XIV and stay with XI because by dividing the gamers and putting invisible walls up, is not going to expand they're player base.

So you can stick to your simple minded argument but I believe that simple decision will cost SE dearly. Well see in a year.

FFXI was/is one of the most successful MMO'S of all time.  500k subscriber base for 7-8 years.  It didn't have jumping/swiming and no one cared.

AoC tried to be like WoW (failed).  So did Warhammer and Aion. 

It was a mistake for FFXIV to come out and say they would rival WoW.  FFXIV is designed for those of us that loved FFXI.  FFXIV is possible based solely on the support of the 500k people that stayed with FFXI for the years.

If FFXIV is a big "thank you" to the FFXI playerbase... then that's fine by me.

You also shouldn't assume that most people are die-hards about swiming or jumping.  I don't care one way or another.  You should also realize that a vast majority of people will not let that one aspect of the game dictate their whole opinion.

If FFXIV succeeds or fails, it will have little to do with jumping or swiming.

most successful mmo's? please.

just because you can jump and swim dont make it a WOW clone.

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• beartoebeartoe Member Posts: 62

I salute you!

Varthanos1 is only expressing his own opinion and you mis-read the part I highlighted. 

Originally posted by beartoe

I salute you!

Varthanos1 is only expressing his own opinion and you mis-read the part I highlighted. 

No I understood exactly what he/she meant.  Varthanos1's comment is one I can respect.  He/she learned what the game has to offer and made a decision on whether to play. 

He didn't go on about how SE is stupid not to have swiming or jumping, or how it totally kills immersion.

That's what I've been saying all along.  If swiming or jumping is THAT important to you, then there's nothing SE can do to change your mind.  So.... move on.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Ozreth

I love that they are keeping the no jumping or swimming set up.

1. It keeps the Final Fantasy feel and I believe that this game (as well as 11) are meant to be Final Fantasy games before MMO's.

2. They aren't going to conform.

Good stuff SE.

I acctually agree with this.

1 No swimming or jumping obviously are what makes ff game ff. Point in case this picture http://ped3119b-kristin.wikispaces.com/file/view/girl5-stick-figure.jpg/112844063/girl5-stick-figure.jpg

This picutre is a random stick figure that i googled and it was top. It is total FFish becuase there in no swimming or jumping in it. Oh yeah this is three scoops of scarcasm ... you ask why becuase of above argument is so bad it makes me sad and to respond i attmept to use an equally accurate argument.  Not jumping or swimg has absolutly nothing to do with the feel of FF any mention of such is just crazy bias and when i see this bias i get out the sarcasm stick.

2. I hate getting what i want (a good game) so i love when game pubs and devs decied not to give me good games , whooo you go game dev.s don't you give into the client pressure of making good games. PS this is only oen scoop of sarcasm, why well becuase honestly my point is also bad , once again i make as useless and equal arguments as who i am replying to but a tad more redonkulus (rofl how to spell this fake word) so the falacious argument is expossed. Anyways comforming or not ... it doesn't matter quality of the game matters.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Jetrpg

1. It keeps the Final Fantasy feel and I believe that this game (as well as 11) are meant to be Final Fantasy games before MMO's.

Good stuff SE.

1 No swimming or jumping obviously are what makes ff game ff. Point in case this picture http://ped3119b-kristin.wikispaces.com/file/view/girl5-stick-figure.jpg/112844063/girl5-stick-figure.jpg

This picutre is a random stick figure that i googled and it was top. It is total FFish becuase there in no swimming or jumping in it. Oh yeah this is three scoops of scarcasm ... you ask why becuase of above argument is so bad it makes me sad and to respond i attmept to use an equally accurate argument.  Not jumping or swimg has absolutly nothing to do with the feel of FF any mention of such is just crazy bias and when i see this bias i get out the sarcasm stick.

2. I hate gettign what i want (a good game) so i love when game pubs and devs decied not to give me good games , whooo you go game dev.s don't you give into the client pressure of making good games.

Wait wait? So ALL "good games" have jumping and swimming, and you can't have a "good game"unless there is jumping and swiming....

OMG - why have I been enjoying games that had neither?

• aluucardsaluucards Member Posts: 36

Good stuff SE.

2. I hate getting what i want (a good game) so i love when game pubs and devs decied not to give me good games , whooo you go game dev.s don't you give into the client pressure of making good games. PS this is only oen scoop of sarcasm, why well becuase honestly my point is also bad , once again i make as useless and equal arguments as who i am replying to but a tad more redonkulus (rofl how to spell this fake word) so the falacious argument is expossed. Anyways comforming or not ... it doesn't matter quality of the game matters.

Funny stuff right here. LOL apparently games cannot be good unless they have jumping and swimming. Get over it already...

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by aluucards

Good stuff SE.

Funny stuff right here. LOL apparently games cannot be good unless they have jumping and swimming. Get over it already...

i really wish they would and just go play the wow clone ro wow that has it and tell me there good games because they have jumping and swiming

Good stuff SE.

2. I hate gettign what i want (a good game) so i love when game pubs and devs decied not to give me good games , whooo you go game dev.s don't you give into the client pressure of making good games.

Wait wait? So ALL "good games" have jumping and swimming, and you can't have a "good game"unless there is jumping and swiming....

Dude do you read or just randomly respond ? 

Seeing as i never mentioned what good games have in them in that quoted post.... what is your point? 

Your argument works like this i write stuff (seen above) you type totally unrelated response. Unless you are referring to "2.I hate gettign what i want (a good game) so i love when game pubs and devs decied not to give me good games , whooo you go game dev.s don't you give into the client pressure of making good games." 

If this is the case please learn to read my "2" corresponds with Ozreth's "2." and is not directly related to swimming at all, but instead with SE's willingness to conform.Which has no validity.

I realize it must be hard to stay calm and read a post, when a non lover to FF14 writes anything on this game's forums and the fanboi blood lust rises up from your deepest bowls and commands you to defend its honour.

Out with yee , yee scalawag . There be no place for yee here see. It don't not matter if yee said anything bad or not about yee god o game ff14 and its ffess.  You be talking here mean to that yeer lover o ff14 mate. Walk yee plank. 

For some odd reason yee blood lust be a pirate. … watch out for ninjas. Oh ps if this was just a mistake sry but nevertheless I had fun.

Edit- apprently the fanboies just copy each other saying the same things over and over... well at least Hrayr is the captian , yarr.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Good stuff SE.

Seeing as i never mentioned what good games have in them in that quoted post.... what is your point? 

Your argument works like this i write stuff (seen above) you type totally unrelated response. Unless you are referring to "2.I hate gettign what i want (a good game) so i love when game pubs and devs decied not to give me good games , whooo you go game dev.s don't you give into the client pressure of making good games." 

If this is the case please learn to read my "2" corresponds with Ozreth's "2." and is not directly related to swimming at all, but instead with SE's willingness to conform.Which has no validity.

I realize it much be hard to stay calm and read a post, when a non lover to FF14 writes anything on this game's forums and the fanboi blood lust rises up from your deepest bowls and commands you to defend its honour.

Out with yee , yee scalawag . There be no place for yee here see. It don't not matter if yee said anything bad or not about yee god o game ff14 and its ffess.  You be talking here mean to that yeer lover o ff14 mate. Walk yee plank. 

For some odd reason yee blood lust be a pirate. … watch out for ninjas. Oh ps if this was just a mistake sry but nevertheless I had fun.

FF is for people who cant play normal games.

Edit- apprently the fanboies just copy each other saying the same things over and over... well at least Hrayr is the captian , yarr.

You're just mad cause i'm not copying your sayings.

I'd be the FFXIV Hater Hero.   (say that three times fast)

Good stuff SE.

I realize it must be hard to stay calm and read a post, when a non lover to FF14 writes anything on this game's forums and the fanboi blood lust rises up from your deepest bowls and commands you to defend its honour.

Actually, your couple sentences after the 2. above are inferring that good games have things like jumping and swimming. So don't give me that crap that you did not even say what good games have in them. It was you thinking you were clever with your words when any idiot could get what you were hinting at.

Also, SE has no reason to conform to the whiners at all. They have already made a successful MMO and they will make improvements where they feel are needed and boom we will have FFXIV September 22.

Keep the QQ threads coming LOL

You're just mad cause i'm not copying your sayings.

I'd be the FFXIV Hater Hero.   (say that three times fast)

Ninja squad rush.

Golden dace of a thousand flower blooms.

I'd be the FFXIV Hater HeroI'd be the FFXIV Hater HeroI'd be the FFXIV Hater Hero

I hope you get it im not hating but if i see a dumb argument witha  dude acting like he made any logical point . well ill point it out. Best not to defend it, feel free to defend the concept/premise just not a awful argument. See im sick of bias from the haters  (in this case ninjas) , and the players/fanboies (in this case pirates). So instead i poitn that bias out rather stuipedly and mention its also stupid, but thats the point to compare both argument and see how they fail. And when i do this fanbois (in thi case the pirates and sometime the ninjas attack me) Ill be a samurai  (haha).

Originally posted by lectrocuda

Good stuff SE.

I realize it much be hard to stay calm and read a post, when a non lover to FF14 writes anything on this game's forums and the fanboi blood lust rises up from your deepest bowls and commands you to defend its honour.

FF is for people who cant play normal games.

Good one. Very well thought out. LOL

Originally posted by aluucards

Good stuff SE.

Actually, your couple sentences after the 2. above are inferring that good games have things like jumping and swimming. So don't give me that crap that you did not even say what good games have in them. It was you thinking you were clever with your words when any idiot could get what you were hinting at.

Also, SE has no reason to conform to the whiners at all. They have already made a successful MMO and they will make improvements where they feel are needed and boom we will have FFXIV September 22.

Keep the QQ threads coming LOL

Actually... Actually im saying actually because it makes me right like magic.

There is no inference unless you make that yourself possibly because you are suffering from a case of pirate blood lust scurvy (As i already wrote man did i call that).

See i understand that you are so bias'ed that you would read it that way ... even although it is not written that way. And even pointing this out you didn't understand and went on to write Nut UH (a phonic of no, No, NO!!)  Which is the response of more mature people. (Don't get me wrong im not very mature or i would simply point out the flaws of your logic/arguments). But i do remember soem ninjas on this forum saying something to the effect of ff14 fanboies are immature. Well if you are attempting to prove him correct , your on the right path.

Personally as a samurai I am allowed to be immature i got swords and lots of them , like katanas, and stuff and girls too. Edit - as a samurai i also like rice, meatbuns, taiyaki, eggrolls (so what i visisted the city of angels), and lets see kabuki (this is a lie its awful, but i got to keep up my apprences you know).

You know what i take back #2 conforming is bad. SOE was right to do CU and NGE, fricking whiners. WAR's lagg off the bat was GOOD its just the whinners who didn't like it. Wow is wonderful and its pvp rock my socks , whinners don't like it tho.

Im so happy that i met you and you could teach me the reasons why Pub.s and devs should do whatever they want, because they are always right. .... .... .... I mean other than making your sig say i am a XXXX fanboi and devs are always right and any critical descent will be met with pirate lust ... i don't think you could have been more clear.

Once again saying all this ff14 could rock i love its item and class system am a tad worried about combat and movement ... but from what we have seen i think we logically should be. Still im not saying its good or bad i haven't claimed to know this. But i will point out your flawed logic.

• XavierxxXavierxx Member Posts: 251

Okay. FF14 won't have jump. After this game, Tanaka will work on maybe FF16 or 17 online? You still cant jump or swim in that game either. You will be prohibited by these outdated game design boundaries. Also every single AAA MMO up to this day and just about every upcoming AAA MMO that is going to be released between now and the next FF online game (16 or 17 or w/e) will have basic character controls allowing you, the player, to explore wherever the fcuk u wanna explore.... And on top of that, other AAA MMOs already released as well as upcoming titles will give players quite a bit of reason to explore those bodies of water or jump off t those bridges.

Look, SE is just being lazy cutting corners and most of you are just defending them and that's why they're getting away with it. Okay when the devs at Blizzard, NCSoft, Funcom, Sony, and every other MMO developer came across the design idea of being able to make your character jump or dive into that lake - they said why the hell not! And they freaking made it happen. And when the devs decide not to make it happen, look at where it landed them... NCsoft left out swimming.... Now look at what theyre doing in their offices! Putting swiming into the game. Players disliked those boundaires and demanded the devs to be rid of them. So thats what they ended up going back to work on....

Also, go back to my last post aside from this one in this thread and look at the argument I pointed out about FF13 and the criticisms its been having.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

You guys are missing a big part of why it would be stupid to have swimming and jumping to allow you to go anywhere.

In FFXI the next zone will kill you.....in FFXI the last zone will still kill you. This game has similar mechanics to FFXI, if you agro a mob it will chase you off the map...it won't stop after 10 ft. it will chase you and kill you, then your 4 buddies and the group that tried to heal your tank. get the point? This is a group oriented game, Mobs are designed to be tough for a group to take out just like FFXI.

If you aren't on a Chocobo or way overleveled you are partying and thus supporting your allies there is no real place for solo exploration outside of farming mats or discrete quests.

Trust me you won't miss jumping or swimming in this game, it isn't designed for it....not even a little bit.

@ Xavierxx ??? wtf seriously, U think SE is being lazy? SE have poured an insane amount of resources into this game. Probably more than almost any other launch to date. Is that lazy? 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Xavierxx

Okay. FF14 won't have jump. After this game, Tanaka will work on maybe FF16 or 17 online? You still cant jump or swim in that game either. You will be prohibited by these outdated game design boundaries. Also every single AAA MMO up to this day and just about every upcoming AAA MMO that is going to be released between now and the next FF online game (16 or 17 or w/e) will have basic character controls allowing you, the player, to explore wherever the fcuk u wanna explore.... And on top of that, other AAA MMOs already released as well as upcoming titles will give players quite a bit of reason to explore those bodies of water or jump off t those bridges.

Look, SE is just being lazy cutting corners and most of you are just defending them and that's why they're getting away with it. Okay when the devs at Blizzard, NCSoft, Funcom, Sony, and every other MMO developer came across the design idea of being able to make your character jump or dive into that lake - they said why the hell not! And they freaking made it happen. And when the devs decide not to make it happen, look at where it landed them... NCsoft left out swimming.... Now look at what theyre doing in their offices! Putting swiming into the game. Players disliked those boundaires and demanded the devs to be rid of them. So thats what they ended up going back to work on....

Also, go back to my last post aside from this one in this thread and look at the argument I pointed out about FF13 and the criticisms its been having.

its because its linear no one sQQing about he lack of jump or swim in it. and SE already said ther enot going to use that design again. it was there first HD rpg