Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a new pc for ffxiv

Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250

I'm posting this for a friend who does not have an active account.

"I want to build a new PC, I've been pouring over benchmark scores and what not.

Right now I've picked out the gtx 275 and an i5 750 @2.66.

Now i'm deciding on ram. I'm not looking to tear myself up on the price but I have to ask. Should i just go ahead and get 4gb of ddr3? I saw some 1600 on newegg for 100 dollars (2x2gb). Would this be a good investment (pricewise it seems good) as far as for this game?

Also, what size power supply do we think i'll need?

Thank you"

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

You should get the GTX 460 instead, its only $200 and yeah $100 for 4gb of DDR3 1600 RAM is a good deal...

• Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Khrymson

You should get the GTX 460 instead, its only $200 and yeah $100 for 4gb of DDR3 1600 RAM is a good deal...

the gtx 460 is only 756 MB, is this gonna be an issue for high quality, also is 4gb of ram gonna be sufficient for high qual graphics?

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

Agreed

4 gb is enough just make sure your OS is 64bit to utilize it all.  They have 768 and 1gb versions of the GTX 460 but the performance between the 2 isn't by much on stock settings.

As for the power supply do you plan to go sli in the future or just single card?

Originally posted by swalker23

Agreed

4 gb is enough just make sure your OS is 64bit to utilize it all.

As for the power supply do you plan to go sli in the future or just single card?

It depends on what we are looking at for price, If its gonna be a significantly higher price to consider SLI in the future then I might just wait on getting a PSU that can support SLI

• GrimzayGrimzay Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by Povey151

the gtx 460 is only 756 MB, is this gonna be an issue for high quality, also is 4gb of ram gonna be sufficient for high qual graphics?

There is a 1gig model.

"We got rid of the trinity." How'd you do that? "Now everyone can heal." Sounds like you just took the mechanic and spread it thin. "Well no, there's one class that can do it better than others." I see, so they're healers. "No. They're.." -mind asplode-

I have this as a PSU for a budget build I will do for my cousin so he can play FF14 and I also build it with a gtx 460 768mb, depending on how much he can save before launch.  You should never go gimp on the psu, a bad psu can muck up your entire system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

If you plan to go sli I would suggest to be safe  750w-800w psu .  I read about some people are using 650w psu (from good companies) running sli 460's.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I'd suggest this PS by Antec...can't go wrong with them, and its also the one I use...its nice!  Also is the ram you're looking at the A-DATA...I run 8gb of that currently and it too rocks!

GTX 460 1GB...this is a good one, and EVGA are the best choice of brand for an nVidia GPU!

GTX 460 1GB...this is a good one, and EVGA are the best choice of brand for an nVidia GPU!

QFT

If you don't mind paying the extra money for a GPU go with EVGA.  Their products are top notch and the customer support is excellent. From personal experience they will go over and beyond to make you happy. Antec is a good psu company but I prefer corsair. I say corsair because like EVGA they have great products with great customer support. One psu I had for them I voided the warranty and few months later it started to put out less power like it use to. I told them I voided the warranty and they still replaced my PSU with a new one. Companies like them I always stick with.

Thanks for all of the AWESOME replies guys, much appreciated

Now i have to ask. Obviously this is hypothetical

But what do you think this game is gonna run like on top settings with the i5 750 @ 2.66, 4gb of ddr31600 and the gtx 460 1gb?

But what do you think this game is gonna run like on top settings with the i5 750 @ 2.66, 4gb of ddr31600 and the gtx 460 1gb?

Depending on what resolution you use I would guess medium-high to high settings with good fps.  Can get more out of that setup if you overclock the cpu and gpu.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Benchmark ran perfectly fine for me with 5850, i7 920 and 6gb ddr3 1600mhz. 460gtx isn't overly different to the 5850 performance wise so your fine in that area. Ram shouldn't be a problem and the i5 is pretty good.

Also i'm sure they will optimize the game a little bit more before release so imo you'll be able to run it fine on top settings.

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Benchmark ran perfectly fine for me with 5850, i7 920 and 6gb ddr3 1600mhz. 460gtx isn't overly different to the 5850 performance wise so your fine in that area. Ram shouldn't be a problem and the i5 is pretty good.

Also i'm sure they will optimize the game a little bit more before release so imo you'll be able to run it fine on top settings.

Yeah, optimization was somewhere around non existent for the benchmark. Similar set ups seemed to be scoring in the 2500 - 3500 range from what i've read on that also. I think it'll be a good setup.

This set up seems to leave him with cheap upgrade options in while when some prices drop so he can dual sli it, throw in a new processor or drop in some new ram, whatever seems to be his ache at the time.

• tooga123tooga123 Member UncommonPosts: 113

I'm posting this for a friend who does not have an active account.

"I want to build a new PC, I've been pouring over benchmark scores and what not.

Right now I've picked out the gtx 275 and an i5 750 @2.66.

Now i'm deciding on ram. I'm not looking to tear myself up on the price but I have to ask. Should i just go ahead and get 4gb of ddr3? I saw some 1600 on newegg for 100 dollars (2x2gb). Would this be a good investment (pricewise it seems good) as far as for this game?

Also, what size power supply do we think i'll need?

Thank you"

if you haven't already decided on the video card check out my link below, it has some useful info in it. I think the 460 is a good choice but you could also do a 5770(i had one they oc extremely well) and pay much less and still run the game very well... just a thought to keep you thinking lol

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

You should be able to get that ram for $81-91

Look for yourself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006127%20600006066%204801&IsNodeId=1&name=Mail-in%20Rebate

some gud one right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

$90 w/ a rebate and atm there is a promote code for another $5 off so a total of $85. Name brand good , not the bestest timeing but ehh if you need / use the speed you understand now to oc anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227503

Better out of box timings (whatever youll never notice) $5 more atm but also gud.

Or just look at top link for all that type of ram for the ones with rebates ... don't buy ram w/o a rebate there is always one happening.

Also if you want some pc2000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006139%20600006066%204801&IsNodeId=1&name=Mail-in%20Rebate

Soem great deals here $80 for 4 gb .. honestly tho probably not much different from the 1600 in quality just different stock settings (timmings are 9/30 vs 8-9/24)

Still good prices. But your gonna have to oc to even care about these.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine