Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting....can someone detail it's state ?

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I love a great crafting system.In the past I was less than impressed.That was at launch.Whats the state of crafting now ?

Comments

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

It's pretty rare for a game to radically change their crafting system to a point where you might like it after you didn't like it before.  That part of the game tends to be placed into the game and sadly forgotton.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

To be more explicit with my crafting questions:

-Is crafting a developed ability ..so with time and effort you can achieve great crafting ability ?

-do crafted items come close to dungeon drops?

-can crafted items be made with attributes suited to specitic professions ?

-how challenging is it to get materials to craft with ?

-can you craft items for your house or mount ?

-how many crafting professions might you have ?

-at what level can you reasonably start to craft ?

-can crafting be a money making activity ?

-is it easy to mail crafted items to your other characters or is mail so prohibitivly expensive(asit was in test) that you cannot equip your other characters with your craft wares ?

I could keep asking...but I don't want to overwhelm those tempted to answer. Thanks in advance.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

To be more explicit with my crafting questions:

-Is crafting a developed ability ..so with time and effort you can achieve great crafting ability ?

-do crafted items come close to dungeon drops?

-can crafted items be made with attributes suited to specitic professions ?

-how challenging is it to get materials to craft with ?

-can you craft items for your house or mount ?

-how many crafting professions might you have ?

-at what level can you reasonably start to craft ?

-can crafting be a money making activity ?

-is it easy to mail crafted items to your other characters or is mail so prohibitivly expensive(asit was in test) that you cannot equip your other characters with your craft wares ?

I could keep asking...but I don't want to overwhelm those tempted to answer. Thanks in advance.

I can answer a few of these pretty well.

1. Yes, you can definitely make a name for yourself through crafting.

2. Yes, in fact some crafted items are better than dungeon drops.

3. Sort of. Some jewelry created will suit certain classes better than others, along with armour and weapons.

4. This really depends on your level. It can either be very easy, very difficult or some where in between.

5. Yes, you can craft items for your house. No, you can't for your mount.

6. You choose 1 profession which has 3 sub-professions and may specialize in 1 sub-profession by joining a crafting guild. For example: You choose Explorer which allows you to be a Prospector for mines, a Forester for wood and leather and a Tailor for making light and medium armour.

7. Right after the starter instance, otherwise known as the noobie zone. You can leave as low as level 1 or as late as level 7.

8. Yes, if you get the right one you can make a lot of money but you will sink a lot of money into it before then.

9. It's cheap to use the mail but we now have a shared bank of 20 slots that make giving items to other characters really easy and free.

Feel free to ask more questions.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

I love a great crafting system.In the past I was less than impressed.That was at launch.Whats the state of crafting now ?

At launch crafting was very powerfull. The best gear then was all crafted and it was very difficult to get the best crafted gear and you could make alot of money from it.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I beta'd this game and it frankly sucked alot back then. The game has improved almost infinitely since then and is now quite alot of fun. Except for the crafting which hasn't changed a bit and still sucks just as bad as it ever did. The fact that you have to rely on other crafts to do yours makes this crafting system one of the worst I've ever seen. EQ2 had a similar system. Until everyone threw such a fit that they changed it, like bright people.

If people charged reasonable prices on the auctions for those items, it would be different. But they don't and they won't.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

So....you might have a few characters.....some that just craft ? To get around the need to get certain finished mats from other players   ?

• jdreamjdream Member UncommonPosts: 80

u can craft some of the best legendary weapons,items and  jewelry in lotro

some boss drop are sligthly better but only few pieces

• AlexKKKKAlexKKKK Member Posts: 12

So....you might have a few characters.....some that just craft ? To get around the need to get certain finished mats from other players   ?

Yes, but you'll probably need to level up (I mean general character level)  them too in order to be efficient - good crafting tools (which have better stats, such as better chance to get an "improved" item or shorter time to transform one material into another) have a level restrictions on them, plus to advance your crafting level you have to do a special quests where you might have to go to a high-level zone (with, of course, plenty of high-level hostile mobs roaming around) in order to gather a certain required item... The whole crafting system is really annoying in this game (if you're not in a good guild/kinship and mostly like to play solo).

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Its not as intricate as Vanguards Crafting system, (but to be fair not many games are) but since there are two new classes since LOTRO first came out, oh and a much greater level cap then lotro's crafting system benefits from more crafting options.

It is however much like any crafting system.  gather 20 hides, 20 this 20 that, click the 'make 20 items'  some of those 20 items might crit and be slightly better.

But there is a lot of stuff you can craft now.  The only real trouble is that since the game has been out for so long the markets are kinda saturated.  When it goes F2P though im sure everything will pick up nicley.  

Oh and I noticed some planned crafting improvments coming for the f2p volume.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Basically, don't bother crafting until your at top level or levelling a bunch of characters at once so they're all around the same level just so you can get the stuff needed to level ALL of them in crafting. Yes, its a terrible terrible crafting system.